The Brass Statuettes Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jim Sweeney poured down the last of his bourbon. "This is sounding better all the time," he declared.

"I won't sneak around; I won't deceive the Board, or Alvin," Frank warned.

"Leave that part to me," Sweeney told him. As he rose to take his leave he leaned closer to Frank. "You don't think your secretary would like..." Frank cut him off by shaking his head. Sweeney shrugged his shoulders and then slapped Frank on the back. "I had to ask one more time. It's one of my little pleasures."

Frank escorted him to the door. "Jeannette, would you call the livery and have one of our cars take Mr. Sweeney to his residence, please?"

**********

As soon as Jim Sweeney was properly dispatched Frank turned to Jeannette once again.

"Would you find Aaron Fishman and tell him to come to my office on the double, please?"

Jeannette was just returning from escorting Sweeney to the elevators. She was walking toward Frank in her skirt and satin blouse. Her heels and slender figure made her look taller than she was.

"Right away, Frank," she answered in her soft, unhurried tone.

Frank went back into his office and when he had closed the door he shook his head. He could understand how her charms could put the bite on Sweeney. He was sure that Jeannette had done nothing to get Jim aroused. She could make a man's blood boil just by being herself.

As he was finishing his private tribute to his secretary, Jeannette's voice came through the intercom.

"Aaron Fishman is here, Mr. Bennett."

Frank and Aaron had worked together before when Frank was Corporate Controller. Aaron was a Financial Analyst in the Controller's office, the best one they had. He was thirty, a small man except a bit overweight. He had dark hair and white, pasty skin. He was four years out of Rice with an MBA.

"Lose the suit coat and have a chair, Aaron. We've got work to do."

The subordinate did as Frank ordered.

"Want a coffee?" Frank asked. Aaron shook his head. "Juice, Coke?"

"I just had lunch," Aaron said.

"We've got to redo the forecast—right away and on the Q-T," Frank said.

"But we just..." the young man started to protest. Frank interrupted him.

"Doesn't matter. Put away your other projects and concentrate on this." Frank went on to explain about the aborted stock offering and search for interim borrowings.

"This forecast has to be tight," Frank went on. "There's no slack, no margin for error. Test every assumption. We'll have to write off the capitalized costs of the offering. Bake that in; redo all the cash numbers and the interest that goes along with them. And, of course there's taxes."

"There always taxes," Aaron joked. "Do the write-offs go above or below the operating line?"

"Put it below for now, but they'll probably end up in G and A. Save those kinds of questions aside and we'll ask the auditors all at once." Aaron nodded that he understood. "Work with Blake Hart and Jason Lowell. They're expecting you."

"Where can I get the details that went into the last forecast?" Aaron asked.

"They're locked in the files in the Controller's office. I'll tell Jeannette to unlock the files for you. In fact, since the Controllers office is vacant, why don't you use it while you're working on this? It will be more convenient since you'll be right here on this floor and it will be easier to keep things under wraps."

"Sounds fine to me," Aaron said, grinning.

"Don't get any ideas," Frank warned. "It's just for this project, so don't let me catch you with your feet up on the desk. You'll get there someday, but you're not ready."

"I understand," Aaron answered. His grin changed to an embarrassed smile at having betrayed his private thoughts.

"I'd like to be able to present something preliminary to Alvin on Monday afternoon. Just the hard numbers we can get quickly by backing out all the stock-related details. That means that we'd have to review it on Monday morning. Can you be ready? You'll have to work tomorrow."

"Um, Saturdays are a bit of a problem..."

"Oh, sorry—I forgot," Frank said. "I'll have Jeannette write you a pass to the Executive Suite for Sunday."

"Sunday will be fine," Aaron answered.

"One last thing," Frank said, leaning forward in his chair to make the point. "This has to be kept confidential. If word of the delay leaks out onto the Street before the change in registration is filed, there will be hell to pay from the SEC. So, be extra careful. You can discuss it with Jeannette or me, Mr. Warner, or the two vice-presidents that I mentioned. That's it!"

"I'll just move a few things to the Controller's office and get started," Aaron said. "I'll be ready on Monday morning."

"I know you will, Aaron," Frank replied. "That's why you're on this and not someone else."

Frank escorted him to the door. "Aaron, one more thing," Frank called to him as he was leaving. "Don't forget to have a nice weekend." The young man laughed as he made his way to the elevator.

"Reminds me of my younger days," Frank said to Jeannette.

"Yes, it does," she replied. "I remember them, too."

****************

Gloria was seated on the veranda; Brenda was in the chair opposite her. They were sipping on iced tea, without the vodka. Gloria turned over a new leaf on every workout day.

"How was your exercise session with Raul?"

"Strenuous," Gloria replied. "I feel muscles that I haven't used in a long time."

"Is it a good feeling, or does it hurt?" Brenda teased.

"Some of both, I suppose." It gave the women an excuse to giggle.

"How about the task at hand," Brenda insisted.

"Oh, I just don't feel like callin' her right now, Bren."

"I knew that you wouldn't, so I came over to help you," Brenda answered.

"Well, it's difficult, you know. I don't really want to. We could do just fine without her."

"But we already discussed it. We really need to do this," Brenda said. "Just don't promise her anything or make her believe it will take up all her time. We'll find something harmless for her to do, and in the meantime, we'll get her to come around to us."

"I don't care if she comes around or not," Gloria said, crossing her arms.

Brenda knew that Gloria would make a last attempt to be difficult. She decided to be patient. She sat motionless said nothing, just waited for Gloria to give in as she knew she would.

"Okay, okay," Gloria surrendered. "I'll call her. She's probably not home, anyway. Where's Juana—I need the phone book."

"I've got the number right here," Brenda said, and she produced a slip of paper from her purse and handed Gloria her cell phone.

"You seem to have thought of everything!" Gloria said with a sneer.

"Be nice," Brenda insisted. "You know this is for the best."

Gloria frowned as she punched the number into the phone. "Smile," Brenda whispered and turned up the corners of her lips with her fingers like a kindergarten teacher. Gloria gave back a mock smile. Brenda listened while Gloria spoke.

"Hello, is this Trudy? This is Gloria."

**pause**

"Gloria Warner."

**pause**

"I just wanted to call you to tell you how beautiful you looked in your blue gown."

**pause**

"Now Trudy, don't be modest. We'll have to go shopping together some time so you can tell me where you got that gown."

**pause**

Gloria mouthed 'Dillard's' at Brenda after she made that comment and Brenda shook her finger back at her in mock disapproval.

**pause**

"Trudy, actually I called for a different reason. I want to invite you to join the Western Chemical Community Foundation. We think it would be wonderful if you would join us."

**pause**

"You would help us with the money raising and be on the Evaluation Committee when we decide how to pass the money around."

**pause**

"Well, we just finished a Daycare-Preschool Center in the Mexican Community."

**pause**

"There would be Brenda and me and some of the other executives' wives, and you, of course. Please say 'yes'."

**pause**

"You will—oh, how wonderful! I'll call you next week to give you a schedule of the meetings."

Gloria hung up the phone. "I hope you're satisfied," she hissed at Brenda.

"You know that you did the right thing," Brenda reminded her.

"We'll have to be careful what she works on. I don't want her horning in where she's not wanted. We went over that on Wednesday."

"Don't worry, Gloria. We'll see to it—and I have an idea already."

********************

TO BE CONTINUED

Dear Readers,

Thanks again for reading. I hope you're enjoying the story so far. Be sure to send me your comments. I'm always interested to read them and I'll respond if you include an address that will enable me to do so.

AW

12