The Brethren

Story Info
The tale of Davy Jones
3.9k words
9.3k
2
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's note: A pirate tale taking place about 100 hundred years before The Black Seas sorta explaining a few things.

*

The sun crests the horizon casting its long lines across the sea causing it to shimmer like a blanket of diamonds. Malcolm Jacobson stands on the shore taking in the beauty before him. New Providence was a good choice, he decided, to settle at.

Every morning he woke up just before dawn to make his way down to the shore. He hopes that one day soon he'll have a wife to accompany him here and enjoy the sunrise as he has for nearly the last year. He is about to close his eyes as he has every morning to bask in the warmth of the sun when something on the horizon catches his eye. He stares off into the horizon ignoring the slowly rising sun, focusing through squinted eyes.

It is then he knows what he saw.

It is then that it is too late.

He see the cannon blast just before the cannon ball slams into his body, tearing it in half. All his hopes for the future are ripped from him in that one fleeting moment.

——

The fall of the port town followed shortly after and quickly became a haven for pirates. Pirates continue to hold New Providence for a year holding back the Spanish crown. Minor assaults on the port town are easily repelled. But the crown is relentless and wants their territory back. So the crown amassed a fleet.

But the pirates aren't going to back down and the demons aren't going to lose a grip on the small piece of the world they hold. One such demon is Davy Jones.

With a long history, Davy Jones spent many millennia associated with the sea. As a Demon Lord he is the highest power amongst the demons with a right to rule over them, but he has other ambitions.

He has been known as Poseidon by the Greeks, Neptune by the Romans or Aegir by the Norse, but now he sets out to be known as Davy Jones, the devil of the seas. His true name was lost many millennia before or never given, but it doesn't matter. Every age brings a new name and a host of people for the demon's own ends.

The other demons, especially those of the council Winter do not agree with his ambitions. But there are a few that agree or don't care. They shared one thing and that is following Davy Jones. He trusts each one only as much as he needs to, since that is the way of the demons. But he does trust one more than the rest, Vagorth, better known as Henry Morgan. He is the only demon to prove his loyalty many times over to Davy Jones.

He now stands next to Davy Jones in the large, open expanse of the Pirate's Eye, one of the towns many taverns and most reputable. The crowd of the tavern is full of pirates and those demons that follow Davy Jones. All belong to the Brethren of the Coast and they are all in an uproar.

Jones lets the chaos ensue for several more minutes before pulling out a pistol and firing it into the air bringing almost instant silence to the tavern. Ye blistering chicken hearted powder monkeys need to settle yerselves. He says menacingly. We have built ourselves up over the last few years but we will not to be torn down.

"We cannot fight a fleet!" someone in the densely packed tavern shouts.

A flash, almost like fire, flares briefly in Jones' eyes. A murmur shoots through the crowd. Davy Jones' appearance of horns jutting from his head and spike like structures bulging out of different places of various lengths are already enough to frighten most humans.

A smile creeps onto his face at the satisfaction from the response of the humans. He holds the silence for a few moments more before continuing. We are going against the Spanish fleet. Those who wish to flee like cowards may do so now.

The noise of the tavern rises again but this time it remains at a low almost hushed whisper amongst the human pirates. Jones can discern conversation and arguments, both from comrades and crew alike. When the conversations and arguments cease a large portion of the humans begin to make their way toward the door of the tavern. Jones catches the eye of each of the demons standing at the edges of the tavern and gives them all a curt nod. The demons all ranging from Lesser Demons to Ifrits quickly change forms from their human appearance into their true forms.

Before many of the humans have a chance to register what is about to happen, the demons are upon them. Flesh is ripped from their bodies. Insides poured onto the floor along with pools of blood. The slaughter takes only mere seconds leaving the tavern with the stench of death and fear. The humans that decided to stay and serve Jones are huddled in the center of the tavern. A few go for their weapons but when Jones gives them all a slow shake of his head they quickly release their grips of the weapons.

Now ye scurvy dog, those that are left that is, let that be a demonstration of how I tolerate disloyalty and mutiny. He paused for effect. Prepared yer vessels and prepare fer battle.

The human pirates, after a brief moment, cheer in unison. Jones has them under his control through fear. As soon as the humans pile out, Jones takes a seat at a chair behind him. Morgan follows the Demon Lord taking his place, standing at Jones' side.

The tavern remains quiet as Jones sits looking off into the distance. The Pirate Lords, those that are demon and on the Brethren Council, know to keep quiet until their leader spoke. They follow Jones because of his views compared to those of Winter.

Jones reasoned that it is easier to obtain control of part of the world rather than the whole thing. The thought brings him out of his thoughts and back to the present. What have ye rolling in those buckets atop yer shoulders? he asks generally. No one present speaks up right away forcing a small amount of anger upon Jones. I find it hard to believe ye yellow bellied cowards have no concerns.

The silence keeps up for another minute before one of the Lesser Demons speak out. It has fallen under the concern of many of here and the humans that we only hold two strongholds, this one and Tortuga.

Jones smiles to himself. This is an eventuality he has foreseen creeping up. If any of ye curs think ye can lead the Brethren then ye can feel free to do so. He stands and gestures for one of them to attack him and take leadership. As predicted none of the demons make a move to do so. Since I sense that was yer only concern I will assure ye land lovers that we will take more ports but only after we crush these over eager and over confident humans barking at our door. Any that think they want to oppose me will find themselves at the end of me cutlass. He glares out at the gathered group then stands and walks out the back of the tavern.

Morgan doesn't turn to follow and instead he remains at the edge of the chair until he is certain Jones has left. He then takes the chair for himself.

Ye said ye would have a plan to have him gone by now Morgan. One of the demons, an Ifrit says abruptly.

A promise I intend to keep, Kododurakaerc. It is one that will happen soon.

We grow tired of waiting and all Jones' leadership will do is lead us to our own destruction. Kododurakaerc argues.

And to that end will be Jones' destruction. That destruction lies in the Sargasso Sea.

This is your last chance Morgan. Kododurakaerc threatens. After that we will take matters into our own hands.

Do not dare doubt me. Morgan says with a chilling tone.

Morgan is only a Greater Demon and though many of the Brethren are of a higher class it doesn't affect him. What matters is the power of position. Once that is obtained it is a matter of having leverage over those higher than you.

Morgan smiles as the chill hangs in the air. Most present could rip him apart if they wanted to, but the two things that stops such a thing from happening is Davy Jones and the need for Morgan to rid them of the demon. The hardest part will be convincing Jones to gather at the Sargasso Sea.

——

Richard Hawkins, a tall man with broad shoulders, stands looking out across the open sea. His dark, black hair waves through the air much the same way the red sash at his waist does. He is young, perhaps the youngest to take over the Black List. His father died just the year before and he was selected to succeed the organization. Being so young had its advantages—everyone underestimated his knowledge and skill.

Hawkins' blood pumps with excitement. The demon threat in the Caribbean will be his first major task. When his father was alive the Black List had minor incursions but nothing to the extent of a battle with another naval force lead by demons.

"So tell me Ancel," he says sensing a presence behind him. "Why you?"

"Why?" he answers with a rhetorical question. "Let us just say it's a grudge from long ago."

Hawkins remains looking out over the railing of the ship, not even taking his eyes away when Ancel steps up to stand next to him. From the tone Ancel gives, he decides not to push the subject.

Ancel stands a full head taller than Hawkins and is an impressive sight. He wears a pair of pants combined with pieces of armor for both protection and elegance. He is shirtless with gleaming and powerful looking muscles that bulge sleekly. His skin gleams with a bronze-copper color. Even though Hawkins has no interest in men, he thought of the Valkyrie as handsome.

"This will be my final mission with you," Ancel says breaking the silence.

Even though the Valkyrie hasn't been at service to him or the Black List for long, Hawkins feels a bit at loss. He knows this was to come.

"Very well," Hawkins answers still looking out at the water. "What will you do?"

"Same thing I have since becoming a Valkyrie," he answers. Then he places his hand on Hawkins shoulder causing the man to finally look away from the water and at him. "You will be fine as a leader and without me. This won't be the last challenge you will face."

"When we reach the Sargasso Sea then it will be done," Hawkins says avoiding the direction the conversation was taking.

"How long until we reach the sea?"

"If the wind keeps up," Hawkins says looking up toward the sky, "no more than a week."

——

Henry Morgan convinced Jones to take the Brethren's fleet to the Sargasso Sea. The task was an easy one since Jones didn't trust anyone or demon other than Morgan. Trust would be the Demon Lord's downfall.

Morgan smiles as he places his hat, the last piece of his ensemble on. A shuffle at the door just before it opens spins him around. The doorway reveals a large almost heavyset man. A cutlass hangs on either side of the man's hips. A long, black, braided beard hangs down just past his waist. In a gruff voice he says, "The Dutchman signaled for yer readiness me captain."

Morgan waves the man away and stands for a few moments more before turning and heading out to the deck.

——

Davy Jones nods to Morgan across the expanse of the sea as he appears on deck. When his trusted ally nods back, Jones looks back toward the line of ships dotting the horizon. Raise the colors! he orders.

The flag is raised on the Dutchman followed quickly by every other ship in Jones' fleet. Then slowly, the Dutchman lurches forward taking the lead toward the enemy.

——

The two colliding forces met and clash together. Cannons roar from each ship sometime in two different directions. The calmness over the sea quickly dissipates turning into a rampant maelstrom of chaos.

Davy Jones leads his ship into the bulk of the opposing force, driving deeper than any of the other pirate ships. He stands near the bowsprit with a gleaming smile of joy. His sword is drawn and his eyes are focused ahead. He bellows a song as the Dutchman slips past roaring cannons from the mass of ships spearheading toward the opposing fleet's command ship.

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life fer me

We pillage, we plunder, we riflr and loot

Drink up me hearties, yo ho

We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot

Drink up me hearties, yo ho

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life fer me

We extort, we pilfer, we filch and sack

Drink up me hearties, yo ho

Maraud and embezzle and even high-jack

Drink up me hearties, yo ho

——

Mr. Teach, is that the Dutchman I see?" Hawkins asks his first mate.

"Aye, it is captain."

"Excellent," he muses. "We will end this quickly."

——

Henry Morgan watches Jones plow past the line of ships effortlessly. He is supposed to follow leading the entire fleet through dividing the opposing fleet. Morgan was supposed to. His agreement with Hawkins prevents that from happening. Instead, he has the majority of his fleet hold the line while he and a small number of ships slip around.

The maneuver doesn't go unnoticed, however. Several of Hawkins' fleet split away turning toward them. With five ships in a V formation and Morgan's ship set in the middle, it provides an opening allowing Morgan to slip through as the remainder of the ships engage.

Morgan anticipates watching Davy Jones meeting his demise. By the end of the battle a new era was going to take place.

——

The Dutchman pulls its massive hull across the bow casting a long shadow over Hawkins and Ancel. Jones snarls at the sight of the Valkyrie.

Hold yer fire! he orders then leaps to the deck below. He plans to decimate the ship but after seeing an old enemy it changes everything. He lands hard forcing the wood of the deck to crack beneath his weight. Ancel spins his spear around as Hawkins whips out his scimitar.

"Don't under estimate him," Ancel speaks softly to the captain.

Hawkins nods his understanding and in unison starts a leap forward. Without warning the entire ship shudders. A loud crashing sound echoes through their ears and all three go sailing to the deck.

Ancel is the first to his feet. Without looking back at what caused the impact he grabs his spear and throws himself at Jones catching the Demon Lord square at the waste.

Hawkins pushes up and rolls over. Before him sits another ship jammed into his, nearly severing it in half. He quickly overcoms his shock when a large figure steps off the opposing ship. The demon's stare seems to bore holes into him.

Leaving Ancel to take on Jones, he picks up his scimitar and gets his feet underneath him. Ancel has been around a lot longer than him, he reasons. He'd be fine without him.

Jones rolls back accepting the impact and letting the momentum carry him and the Valkyrie. At the end of the roll he forces Ancel off. Ancel flies backward but manages to twist in the air and land in a stance with both feet and one hand on the deck. He holds the spear up in a ready position.

Jones is quickly back on his feet and charging but Ancel is ready swinging his spear around to block the straight in attack Jones offered.

The Valkyrie blocks and thrusts, each time knocking Jones' sword away then hitting empty air. The length of his spear keeps the demon at bay. Even for a Valkyrie a demon, any demon, is still dangerous and Jones is no different.

Jones failing to succeed offensively turns defensive initially throwing Ancel off, but only momentarily.

——

Hawkins runs across the deck deliberately making his presence known. He doesn't recognize the demon that stands patiently waiting for him, but that doesn't matter.

At the last possible moment Hawkins deviates from his straight line attack and cuts abruptly to the left pulling out a small dagger and throwing it at the demon while bringing his scimitar up high with a twist of his body for a downward cross strike.

Morgan barely sees the knife in time to react but combined with the human's attack he doesn't have much maneuvering available. He brings his sword up just in time to block the cross attack allowing his body to turn enough for the dagger to miss his heart and stab into his shoulder instead.

Pain shoots instantly through his chest threatening to overcome him in the moment. The sudden pain saps his strength and he feels the force of the human's strike push his sword away. Morgan pushes away the pain focusing on the strength in his arm to push back against the attacking blade.

It is enough to redirect the human and allowing him to step aside and gain a little bit of distance between them. He switches his sword to his other hand, noticing his hand is nearly paralyzed. He pulls out the dagger and knows why. Mythril. He growls then throws it hard to the deck. The pain quickly fades leaving only a little residual pain. He lets anger fill him and pushes his attack against the human.

——

Ancel forces Jones back one step at a time. Each strike alternates high to low. Each strike is faster each time but remarkably Jones is able to deflect or completely avoid every one of the strikes. Ancel's spear now had many notches along the shaft. Jones has equally as many on his blade.

Neither shows any signs of tiring and neither seem to take any ground from the other. Jones makes a sudden move, dropping his guard just enough to allow the spear to break through his defenses. He takes the full brunt of the spear into the right side of his chest. The spear passes freely through the demon catching Ancel off guard. He slides forward with the spear unexpectedly. He knows right away he is in a bad position and he lets go of the weapon.

Jones smiles inside not daring to betray his next move. With Ancel no longer holding the spear it allows Jones to move freely. He steps in slicing out and catching the Valkyrie's arm at the elbow.

Ancel's limb falls to the deck. As the pain sends a shock to his nerves he doesn't have time to accept it. Jones is already bringing his sword around for another strike at his exposed body.

Ancel quickly summons a ball of light and throws it at the demon. Jones takes the blast full on having no time to compensate for the unexpected attack. It sends the demon reeling back crashing into the mast. The wood shrieks from the impact. A line forms across the width of the mast.

Jones slumps forward breathing hard. He pulls out the spear and tosses it aside. Only a fool would dare believe he could kill me. Only a fool would continue to try after all this time.

"Only because I haven't known how to beat you," Ancel declares.

And ye do? he asks mockingly.

"I do," he answers with a nod. "Death will not serve your fate. Instead you will serve the sea that you so dearly love. To the depth you will go only to have those nefarious that die at sea as your servants."

Then ye will die trying! he half grunts, half yells as he slams his back up against the mast. The mast finishes splitting and falls down with crushing force upon the Valkyrie.

12