The Chosen One

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rhona who'd decided not to defend herself by saying she'd been left with an open mandate to act, because that would only lead to a halter being placed on her, cooed, "Oh it's lovely and peaceful in here."

The family now stared at her and she smiled back.

"I'll grab some clothes and join you," Scott said, kissing Rhona. "You must have worked effectively today to have dad so riled."

He left in stony silence until Rhona said, "Sit down Gavin and keep calm. You have options. You can refuse the bank an extra seat. Alternatively we can risk going to a contested election with me trying to win majority support for Linda as planned. Whatever you do there is no way the bank will bail out of the corporation because I've examined its investments and the corporation is a cornerstone investment for the bank."

"That's true, I know that," Gavin said.

"You could have the board to vote to change the constitution to allow one more director to offset an extra director for the bank."

"I'm already thinking that."

"And have a resolution passed that the chairman can only be a family member or a family-approved nominee."

"Are you sure we could do that?"

"I'm not a specialist in company law but my understanding is you may do that, being a private company."

Gavin nodded and said well that's something.

Scott sauntered in carrying a beer. "Oh, all calmed down are we? Well this ought to produce big smiles. Today I found a list published for internal distribution two months ago and available for perusal to anyone having access to our secured internal network, so that's a big number of people. I did a search of the name of business addresses using Albion United Bank and came up with three names, Alf Raymond, the bank's other senior vice-president and its director of finance. All three are in the list of top-bracket taxpayers suspected of defrauding the IRS through involvement in a questionable tax shelter."

"Ohmigod," Linda gasped.

Gavin jumped in, "Can you get us a copy of that report?"

"No way without facing punishment," Scott said.

"Excuse me," called Rhona, loping to the door. "I think I can hear my phone ringing."

"How the hell can she hear her phone ringing from here?" Gavin asked.

"Young ears," Scott laughed.

Rhona grabbed her phone and called Shona Cross. "Come on, come on," she muttered.

"Shona Cross."

"Hi it's Rhona. I've just come from a downtown bar and I heard an amazing whisper. Have you told your president anything about our conversation?"

"Not yet. He was in meetings all day. I'll grab him in the morning."

"Could you cancel what you intended to tell him about our discussion. What I'm about to tell you could shock your president. Do I have your assurance that you keep me and the corporation out of this tip off?"

"Yes, absolutely. What is it?"

"The woman was talking in a low voice to people just behind me that three top executives in your bank are being investigated for possible involvement in a questionable tax shelter."

"Investigated by the IRS?"

"I don't know. All she said was the two vice-presidents and director of finance of Albion United Bank."

"Jesus."

"I'm sorry I didn't hear anything more and remember she did say possible involvement. So it's nothing more than a rumor. Normally I wouldn't have taken any notice but as you'll understand this plays right into my hands. The release of this information in the public arena is like dynamite so be very careful. I suggest you have senior legal counsel present when you pass on this rumor to your president. My thinking is the guys will know they are being investigated and their personal tax accountants would have advised them if the department was making a special audit. The bank's attorneys will probably say the president should question the three, one at the time, and in their presence. Remember this is nothing more that a rumor."

"You keep saying it's a rumor but it must be investigated. Rhona please understand but under the circumstances I must ask, are you making this up."

"No Shona. I heard the allegations being made. Listen, it will be easy to find out if those executives are involved in a tax shelter and alarm bells will ring if your people find out it's the same tax shelter. Some tax shelter's are legal of course."

"God, how am I going to sleep with this on my mind?"

"Alcohol?"

Shona laughed. "Gary and I have almost finished our bottle before dinner. I shall open another."

Shona called Rhona next morning just after 10:00 and arranged to meet Rhona on the street outside her bank in half an hour.

"Your information is correct. The bank has suspended its two vice-presidents after they admitting they were in a tax shelter of now questionable legality and are under investigation by the IRS. They collaborated the claim by the director of finance that he had been consulted for his opinion on whether or not the shelter was legal, and that's all."

"Oh thanks for that Shona. Do you want to go for coffee?"

"No, there is an emergency board meeting underway. I must stay on deck."

"Well thanks," Rhona said, kissing the older woman. I would have been embarrassed had had that rumor proved unfounded."

She began walking away.

"Wait Rhona, don't you want me to try to swing the axe for you?"

"Shona darling. You are a professional. Who am I to attempt to tell you what to do?"

"God Rhona, you are cooler than cool. Um, we have a position coming up to fill as chair of our Distributions Board. It meets quarterly and annually dishes out up to $2 million to worthy community causes. The chair must be female and preferably a professional."

"Yes, why not? Put my name into the ring and have me investigated. I have banked with your bank since I was four years old and my permanent address is C/- of my parents in Moore St at The Grove. Bye. You look lovely in that shade of blue."

When the family was having drinks that evening Rhona said, "Now I have you all gathered, some great news. I tipped off my person at the bank and she told me today the two vice-presidents have been suspended after admitting they were aware they were under IRS investigation. The director of finance remains unscathed because he was only involved to the extent of giving advice whether the tax shelter was legal. He answered he was unable to determine it's legality because of the lack of sufficient information but it would appear borderline at best."

"The stupid fools," Gavin snorted.

The next point Gavin I want you to keep calm.

"Oh Christ. All right."

Shona, the bank's manager of public affairs, asked did I have any request to make of her in the light of the suspensions. I said no."

Gavin's glass shook in his hand and his still quite handsome face turned dark.

"I said no but in effect I really said yes because I said she was a professional so who was I to tell her what to do."

"Oh no. Rhona you were my chosen one and you fall at the last jump. You goofed on a magnificent opportunity to have Alf replaced on our board."

"No I didn't."

"Darling, I agree with Rhona. In a manner in which men would find difficult to understand she confirmed to Shona what had to be done, that Shona had to act professionally and ensure that those two executives had all ties to the public including companies severed to limit fallout if the IRS takes them to court."

"Is that correct Rhona?"

"All I can say in Shona's position that's how I'd interpreted what had been said and I would be pleased I hadn't been told how to do my job as a principle adviser to my bank's president."

"Yes, I can see that now," Scott said. "It's alarmingly subtle and so it could miss the mark unless the woman is intelligent and..."

"She is Scott."

"Well there you are dad, game over."

"I admit is sounds promising. I'll reserve my response."

Next morning when Rhona brought coffee to the side of the pool, where she and Linda were reading the morning newspaper, she said, "Well I best return to my old job in the morning."

"Are you that confident it's all over?"

"Yes."

"In that case I want you to have two more weeks on your inflated pay and regard it as a well-earned vacation."

"But I haven't done much."

"Oh yeah?"

"Linda, I want to ask you something. Why is Scott working for the IRS instead of working within the corporation? He has the qualifications to go all the way to director of financial services."

"Because he and his father fight too much. You appear to have a calming influence on them. I think they can imagine how cutting you'd be if you really vented fire. You know of course most men are a little fearful of women."

"No?"

"I mean of real women."

"Oh."

Linda asked, "Are you going to have a long relationship with Scott?"

"Yes. I wondered if that was what this is about."

"Marriage?"

"I would think so."

"Oh darling, come over and let me hug you. This makes me so happy. Neither of them know do they?"

"No."

"They'll learn in all good time?"

"Yes."

Rhona was back in her chair when Linda's phone went. "Oh hi Gavin," Linda said, turning the phone on to speaker.

"I've just had the president of the bank visit me. He handed me Alf's resignation from our board and explained the circumstances. Tactically I had to pretend I knew nothing about this. I expressed condolences and he said this was all due to great work by his head of public affairs having great contacts and her keeping an ear on the ground. He said the suspension of the two vice-presidents would continue until the bank's attorneys could find out just how serious the allegations were. If there were risks of the bank being contaminated the president had been given authority by the board to fire them whatever the legal repercussions would be. We then talked about the need for transparency, the value of reputation and client service. He said we sounded if we were in the same business and graduates of the same college. We laughed and then he said, "Well I guess that's why we invested in your corporation because we recognize we share its core values. I said good god, I though it was all about the chunk of our profits the bank took as our major stockholder and he laughed and laughed. We are invited to dinner at his home this Saturday."

"Oh, so you have a new friend. Congratulations."

"Thanks. I want to talk to our most valued employee. Her public affairs buddy is the bank's replacement for Alf on our board."

"Just a minute darling, she is sitting right by me."

The phone was handed over.

"Gavin, I'm not talking to you again until I learn that you have offered Scott a top position in the finance division of your corporation."

"What? What the hell is this? Rhona, speak to me!"

Rhona handed the phone to Linda.

"Rhona is taking a stance I ought to have taken five years ago. I'm not talking to you again until I learn that you have offered Scott a top position in the finance division of our corporation."

Linda and Rhona listened to Gavin's bleating until he cut his call, and then no longer smothered their giggling.

Minutes later Rhona took a call from Shona with her news. She invited Rhona to her home for dinner that evening."

"Darling, could you possibly make that tomorrow evening? We are going out tonight on a celebratory dinner of our own."

"Yes of course. Please bring Scott."

"You know about him?"

"I'm having you investigated darling. I figure I'll soon be appointed a vice-president and someone will be head-hunted to fill the other vacancy. I want you to take over as manager of public affairs. I have a law degree – it's one of the requirements for the job. I suggest you spend the next month cramming knowledge about banking. My father works in the IRS in a senior position and a little birdie told me things are not looking good for a couple of bank executives."

"Oooh. So there is a chance?"

"Yes, I came up through the banking system and have only two internal competitors. Both are mice while I'm a cat and the president knows that. Incidentally his PA has just handed me a voucher for a 10-day luxury stay in Hawaii. Oh to be so lucky. I'll work my ass off getting you in here as my replacement if that's what you want darling."

"Yes, definitely yes. Bye"

Linda asked are you suggesting I take you all out on a celebratory dinner tonight?"

"No, Scott will. He'll receive a job offer later today he cannot refuse."

"Darling, I don't think you realize just how stubborn Gavin can be."

"Poof. We have him over a barrel and he knows it."

"Well, you might be right. Also no talkies means no sex and men find that hard to live with," Linda giggled. "Now tell me was your call was about. It sounded intriguing."

Linda and Rhona were having a cold turkey lunch when Scott called Rhona. They exchanged pleasantries and then he asked to speak to his mother.

"Hi mom. Dad's asked me to meet him in his office at 5:00 and said it was urgent. He wouldn't say what it was about. Do you know anything?"

"No love, he hasn't said anything to me. Just remember if he wants something from you he'll try to beat you down."

"What does that mean."

"It means negotiate hard. Bye."

Linda smiled at Rhona. "Book the restaurant darling. Scott meets Gavin at 5:00 today. Make it late. Gavin will come home stressed and having sex is the best way to relieve him of that. Aren't I a lucky girl?"

"Scott and I will go for a run so we don't hear your passionate screams."

They giggled.

"Oh you're going to be so good for this family," Linda declared. "I look forward to the day when you're one of the bank's representative on my board."

THE END