The Chosen One Ch. 05

Story Info
Old friends reunite as danger lurks near by.
10.1k words
4.82
17.2k
22

Part 5 of the 10 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 07/10/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
boneams
boneams
739 Followers

Sorry for the length between postings, that silly thing called life got in the way again. Thanks to the editors and certain friends that helped make this one possible. I told everyone in the last chapter I would have a treat for you and I will keep my promise. The cameo appearance is used with permission. Actually, it had better be – she wrote it herself.


Kevin Dvorska checked the rearview mirror one final time before pulling into the condominium parking lot. He drove slowly to his assigned space, but backed the car in. This new tactic was necessary due to the present danger from Nadia. After stepping out of the car, he pushed the lock button and scanned the area. "No sign of her in weeks. Maybe we're all being over cautious?"

He walked to the door and inserted the key. When he pushed it open, the door suddenly stopped as the chain went taut. Placing his lips near the door, he called out. "Hey, Laura, it's me. Get the chain, will you?"

He saw no one, but the door closed anyway. The SEAL could hear the chain being released, and he could sense who was on the other side. He moved back slightly as the door opened and he saw a smiling Atsuko Kaneko. With her strict upbringing, she bowed slightly and stepped back.

The taller and more muscular man smiled back, and gave her a quick nod of his head. Just after he entered the living room, he was shocked to find a large black werewolf lying on its stomach; his front legs stretched out in from of him.

Kevin realized that his own werewolf instincts could detect another predator, but there was no way of knowing if the shape shifter would be in human from, or that of a perfect killing machine. The large beast raised its head and looked at the other wolf.

Their eyes only locked for a second before being interrupted by the small framed Asian female. "I am sorry, Sir. We were going to call but there is no way to get in touch with you. We needed to change the living arrangements slightly," Atsuko said as she bowed just in front of him.

"I see. What's the matter, Eduardo? Did you piss off Candrea again, or was it Kristine this time?" Kevin laughed at him as he moved toward the couch where Laura was lying back reading a book.

He bent down and kissed his lover on the forehead as she turned the page of the crinkled book. With the dog eared pages and creased cover, he could tell the book had been read more than once. Kevin cocked his head to the side as he stared at his future wife.

On any normal day, she would have jumped up and grabbed him, but today, she just scanned the pages as fast as she could. He kissed once more, but stayed close. "Hi honey, I'm home."

Laura lifted her head and smiled. "Hi, baby. I'm sorry, I'm right at a good part," she said as she rose to kiss him.

"That's okay, Laura. It's good to see you getting your mind off of things for a while. So, what has you so engrossed?"

Laura placed a marker in the book and closed it. "Atsuko was nice enough to lend me a book she had. I don't know what it is but I can't put the damn thing down. It's a story about vampires and soul mates and all kinds of good stuff."

Kevin laughed at her and stood up. He turned toward the kitchen to get a beer. "Well you're going to marry a werewolf, so why not read about vampires."

Pulling open the door to the refrigerator, he pulled out a beer then paused for a moment. He got large smile on his face, and retrieved another ice-cold bottle. He was still smiling as he reentered the living room.

Glancing down at the large form of Eduardo, he held out the extra beer. "If you go get a bowl, I'll pour you one." The massive head rose slowly off the floor. Even though he didn't growl, Eduardo bared his large, sharp canines; his muzzle wrinkling from the movement.

Kevin laughed at him as he set down the extra bottle. He looked over at Laura and saw she had returned to reading; her mouth slightly open and her eyes darting over the words. He gave a small chuckle and turned to Atsuko who was sitting in one of the recliners looking over the photos of the scroll.

He was about bring up the subject of the hidden clues, when he heard Laura moan softly. She was now squeezing her legs together as she turned the page quickly. He took a drink of his beer and then turned back to small female. "She's really enjoying that book, Atsuko. What's the name of it?"

She looked up from her photos and smiled politely at her charge. "I am sure she is, Sir. The title is 'Fighting the Inevitable' by Jaz Cullen."

Kevin Dvorska was stunned for the second time since arriving home. His mind flashing back to a few years ago during a Halloween party he and Adam had attended. Then back even further to a lovely woman that was tending bar at Heathrow airport one night. "That can't be the same woman. Can it?"

Kevin moved toward his mate quickly. He reached out and pulled the book out of her hands as he stared at the front cover. There on the bottom in large gold letters was the name of the author, Jaz Cullen.

Laura swung her feet off the couch and glared at him. "Hey, what's the big idea? You can have it after I'm done," she said in a stern voice.

Kevin ignored her as he flipped the book over. There on the back cover was a picture of a lovely woman with shoulder length black hair. She was sitting on a large boulder near a grass covered cliff; her purple sweater clinging to her shapely form. "Well I'll be damned," Kevin whispered.

Laura looked shocked as she stared at him. She reached up and ripped the book out of his hands. "It's not your kind of book, and since when did you start to appreciate my taste in literature?"

Kevin chuckled and joined her on the couch. He could tell she was upset with him that he stopped her reading so he reached over and picked up her curled legs and placed them in his lap. As he rubbed her feet, he smiled at her. "I'll try to be more sensitive about your reading habits. I do agree she is talented, a lot of people buy her work."

Laura looked puzzled as she stared back. "How would you know about her work?"

Atsuko looked up and began following the conversation. The man before her didn't appear to follow any particular author or genre. She noticed the quirky smile on his face as he chatted with his mate. "Please forgive me if I am out of line, Sir, but she is correct in her assumption. You do not seem the type to read Miss Cullen's work."

Kevin took a small drink of his beer and then rested the bottle on his leg. His mischievous smile remained. "You're correct, Atsuko, I've never read anything she has put to paper, but I met her – twice."

The shocked women leaned toward him as he replayed the two meetings between himself and the now famous author. They listened with rapt attention as he described the last meeting where she met her publishing editor, Misty Turner, and how happy she was that her dream of publishing had come true.

Kevin finished off his beer and moved away from the couch to retrieve Eduardo's untaken beer. As he twisted the cap off, he looked down at the massive wolf that remained on the floor. He had his eyes closed and appeared to be sleeping, but what confused him was why he was in his true form?

He looked over at his counterpart as she stared at him, still a bit taken aback from the news of the author. "You know this isn't safe, being in our true form in the middle of the afternoon. What if that was one of the neighbors that walked in and caught a glimpse of him?"

Atsuko shook her head clear of the thoughts running around in her head. She bowed slightly and looked back at him. "With all due respect, Sir, are your neighbors accustomed to having a key to your front door? It is no secret that our senses as our true selves are enhanced tenfold. Candrea and James are taking turns at Mr. Dawson's house, just as we are, Sir."

"Oh I bet Kristine is just enjoying the hell out of that. I have to warn you, they piss her off, and I can tell you from experience, she won't hesitate to beat the hell out of them with a newspaper," Kevin said with a laugh.

Suddenly, Eduardo released a low growl when he heard about Kristine's temper. Kevin laughed aloud and looked down at the unhappy werewolf. "I'll take that as confirmation that it was Kristine that you pissed off."

Kevin went back over to the couch and sat next to his future wife. When he saw her reading intently, he sighed and looked over at Atsuko who had returned to her photos. With all three of them happily doing something else, he knew it was going to be a long boring night. "So what's on the agenda for tonight? Can we play some spades, or maybe a board game?"

Laura looked up from her book and glared at her mate hard. "My vote is to get out of this house. Kristine and I have been cooped up like prisoners and I for one think it's getting old."

Kevin tried to smile at her but knew she was right. "Honey, you know Nadia is just waiting for us to do something like that. I'm not willing to put your life in danger because the bitch has a hard on for the medallion."

"Fine, I'll put it to you this way. I'm starting to run out of things that fit me. If I don't go shopping for maternity clothes soon, you'll be marrying me naked."

When Eduardo heard the comment about the wedding, his long pointed ears twitched back and forth and he rose off the floor to look at Laura. The hormonal female looked at him with a glaring stare. "Keep your knot in its sheath wolf, or I'll cut it off and give it to Candrea as a gift."

Atsuko placed the photos in her case and tucked it next to her chair. "Sir, if I may, Miss Laura does have a point about the confinement. Her irritation is increasing and it really is not healthy for your child."

"Her safety will be in question. I can't risk it."

"I think there is a way, Sir, which we can account for her safety. If we ask Mr. Dawson to join us, there will be three of our kind and your team leader. Those talents would be hard to overcome, even for the Dark One," Atsuko offered.

Kevin looked over at his wanting mate. She had a pleading look on her face as she placed the book next to her. He now realized that he was helpless to deny her anything. He looked at his watch and then back to Laura. "Okay, you win."

Laura moved over to him quickly and hugged him. He rubbed her back, but then moved her away so he could look at her. "Don't make me regret this."

Lynnhaven Mall, Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Two cars pulled next to each other in the crowded parking lot. After the engines stopped, both driver side doors opened and the muscular men stepped out into the fading light of day.

They carefully scanned the area; then both men looked inside their vehicles and signaled for the others that it was safe. As the passengers got out two women moved close to each other and locked arms, while the other two females joined the men in searching the area.

Laura looked up at her friend Kristine and smiled. "We're free at last. Want to go shopping?"

Kristine smiled back. "That's an understatement. I just hope the others can keep up."

Laura wore on a royal blue hooded sweatshirt with Navy imprinted on it across the front. Since it was Kevin's, it hung loosely on her petite form. The black spandex pants were the only thing she wore that showed off her true beauty. Given the fact that she was locked in arms with Kristine who wore a gray pants suit, she could have passed as a younger sister to the woman she considered her best friend.

Adam went over to his wife and touched her shoulder. "Listen up, you two. The very moment it looks like you're going to run off because of some sale, the deal is off and we go home. I don't like this any more than Kevin does, so you two escapees are on a short leash."

The two women smiled and then took off towards the entrance to Macy's at a fast pace. Candrea and Atsuko took off after them, their steps moving quickly as they tried to keep up.

Adam shook his head as he watched his defiant wife scamper ahead of him, then felt Kevin's hand on his shoulder. "You know something, Boss? I sure am glad you know how to lay the law down with your wife."

"Shut up, Kevin. You'll soon find out it's harder than it looks," he replied as he began walking toward the entrance door.

After walking through the doors, Adam began searching for the four women. The store was crowded and he noticed bright red sale signs on top of the clothing racks. He looked over his shoulder as Kevin followed him in. "Why do I get the feeling we picked the wrong entrance?"

Even though he couldn't see them, Kevin could sense them amongst the many displays. "I got them Adam; follow me."

The two Navy Seals found the women in the maternity clothing searching through the sale racks. Kristine and Laura were busy sorting through various items. One would hold up an article of clothing asking the other's opinion only to abandon it for the next item to catch her eye. Candrea and Atsuko remained close as they kept their eyes on the other patrons.

Adam and Kevin stood back; their powerful arms showing out of the short-sleeved shirts they wore. They watched the girls, then looked around at the others searching the racks. Kevin's eyes stopped on one bored husband who stood back and watched his own wife dig through the sweater pile.

While the women searched, Candrea moved next to Kevin; her eyes still scanning the crowd. "I have to be honest with you. I'd rather shop than watch, but since it's your mate, I'll make an exception."

Kevin shot her a puzzled look. "You strike me as a woman who would rather pick a fight, than shop. I'm surprised."

Candrea smiled for the first time that Kevin could remember since he had met her. "What woman doesn't like to go shopping?"

The group moved from display to display as both Laura and Kristine picked out tops, pants, and other items from the maternity section. With their arms full, both women darted toward the dressing rooms as their protectors tried to maintain close.

For the small group of werewolves and humans, it wasn't hard to blend in. Candrea and Atsuko stayed close but looked from racks, to patrons, and then back again. Kevin and Adam seemed like any other men near the dressing rooms; bored and looking around.

After Laura selected the items she wanted, she handed Kristine the stack of things to put back. Once they exited the dressing room, Laura stepped over to Kevin and kissed his cheek. "I love you, honey. Thanks for letting me out."

"Sure thing, baby, you know my motto; anything to make you happy," Kevin said with a hint of sarcasm.

After paying for the items, the small group entered the North wing with Laura and Kristine leading the way. When Candrea and Atsuko entered just behind them, they each took an area and quickly studied the moving patrons. With the two men behind the group, they appeared to be like any other group that was shopping; women looking for the best bargain, and the men looking for an escape route.

Kristine, with her methodical nature moved left toward the start of the corridor. With this approach, she knew the group only had a few shops to look at before turning around and continuing through the rest of the busy mall.

Passing by small stores, the two human women peered in the display windows as they walked arm in arm. Suddenly, something caught Laura's eye and she pulled her arm free of Kristine's and moved back to stand next to Atsuko. At first, the group thought Laura sensed danger, but when they began to chat excitedly, the Asian werewolf and the human ran off to a corner store named Barnes and Noble.

The others followed quickly behind them as the two women jumped in a line of people standing just outside the entrance of the bookstore. Kevin and Adam rapidly studied each person who stood in the line, looking for anything out of the ordinary. When Kevin looked over and saw a poster hanging on the outside of the store, he knew why the two women had suddenly rushed to join the crowd.

Kevin moved to his mate's side. Grabbing her chin lightly, he turned her face toward him. "You run off like that again, and the deal is off. I will pick you up and haul you out of here."

Laura smiled and then took a step forward as the line progressed. "I know, sweetie, but after reading her work, I just can't help myself. I promise to behave from here on out."

Adam and Kristine joined the two lovers with puzzled expressions. "Why are we stopping at a book store?" Kristine asked.

Laura pointed to the poster in the window. "I'm almost finished with reading this author's first book and it is soooo good! I have to have the new one and I want her to sign it."

Kristine and Adam looked at the poster, and then looked at Kevin. "Is that the same Jaz Cullen that we met at that Halloween Party?" Kristine asked as Kevin nodded his head in answer.

Adam turned to Kevin, and in a low voice, brought up the fact that something was odd. "Don't you think it's kind of creepy that she was dressed as a Dark Angel at that party and now we're trying to avoid getting killed by the Dark One?"

**********

Her wrist ached and the size of the queue didn't appear to be getting any smaller. How could so many people still want a signed copy of The Council? She'd been here almost two hours already without a break, and it was hard to keep her eyes from drifting to the clock on the wall to the right of her. Five more minutes and she could have a brief respite; a cool half hour to herself before she would have to start the second round of signings.

Jaz tried to dampen down the feelings of guilt that threatened to overwhelm her because she wished she could just go home. By that, she meant return to her hotel room. This entire event was for her...her very first booking signing. She should feel grateful for the support of her readers, and she truly was, it was just...who knew being in the spotlight could turn into such a chore?

The constant questions, the need to smile at everyone, the ache in her wrist from the signings she'd already done...it was too much attention for someone who was used to being ignored for the most part unless she was required to pour a drink. Had it really only been three years since she'd been working the nightshift at Heathrow Airport, scribbling notes down on whatever scraps of paper she could find as she cleaned up after closing?

It felt like a lifetime ago that Kevin had walked into her bar and stopped long enough to set the seeds in her mind that would end up transporting her writing from a hobby to a full time career. Who knew that one random stranger entering a person's life could have such a dynamic effect? Not only had that stranger helped her focus her storyline for Fighting the Inevitable, but by some strange quirk of fate, he'd been at that fateful Halloween party where she had met with Misty and had her story signed up by a publisher.

Her handsome stranger had shown up twice in her life and things had gone spectacularly well for her. She wouldn't put it passed him to show up at her very first book signing.

Jaz fought down the urge to giggle at the thought and flashed a friendly smile to the next woman in line, politely asking who she wished the dedication to be made out too. Thinking of Kevin had given her an added impetus to remember her humble beginnings and give her readers the due care and attention they deserved...even if her cheeks felt like they would crack from the effort of smiling so much.

"I was curious Ms. Cullen, if you had some objection against tradition?" the next customer asked and she was startled out of her inner musings by a tall cowboy with brown eyes and hair. He was good looking with sharp intelligence in his eyes and she felt her heart give a little stutter as she gazed up at him. He didn't quite look like what she expected her average reader to be, however his question did intrigue her as it wasn't one of the standard ones she'd come to expect.

boneams
boneams
739 Followers