The Christmas Bonus

Story Info
She wants that bonus but gets something better.
28.6k words
4.73
94.9k
113
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,526 Followers

At the age of twenty-four, Belinda Moore knew this was the last year she could vie for the Inspiring Young Women's special Christmas bonus that the company gave out each year. She could, of course, compete against the rest of the firm next year, but that special Christmas bonus was only available to those under twenty-five in the dynamic public relations firm. She knew once she turned twenty-five the competition for the yearly bonuses would get fierce. She also knew that in the male-dominated company in which she worked, the Inspiring Young Women's bonus was her best shot at picking up an award and bonus.

She had worked hard and tried to ignore the rumours that the bonus was only ever given to pretty young promiscuous girls who flirted around the office and with the senior partners. The bonus was a hefty monetary prize plus a two-week holiday at Bedarra Island on the company's tab. She desperately wanted that holiday. She had dreamed of it for the last three years that she had been with the company. She wanted to feed the dolphins and laze on the beach while toned and tanned pretty people brought her drinks with little umbrellas in them. She sighed as she fantasised once more about the wealthy people who sailed there to stay at the exclusive resort.

She wished it could have been her last year instead of the new girl who won the award after being with the company barely a year. Jealousy had raged in her private thoughts, but the girl had not spoken of her trip when she returned. She looked nervous and giggled whenever anyone mentioned it or asked her about her trip. She was still the bubbly girl who flirted constantly with all the senior partners and associates, but her attitude seemed to completely change and she accepted a transfer to the northern office without a word of complaint.

Belinda couldn't work out the change in the girl. She had never been the sharpest tool in the shed, but she had tried hard in her team. She had thought that the girl would be telling everyone who would listen about the fabulous resort and the amazing time she was sure to have had. Belinda loved the idea of not having to attend another drunken Christmas shemozzle at her parent's house in favour of visiting a paradise like Bedarra Island. "Oh, the freedom of not having to deal with family drama this Christmas," she smiled as she dreamed of the vacation she wanted so badly. She had saved a nice little nest egg to extend her stay there an extra few days.

Realising that the girl's transfer opened a spot on the team she wanted to be on, Belinda became determined to change her fortunes this year. She had worked hard to be part of the teams that created amazing charity events, and she was able to move within the circles of those that mattered in the prestigious company. These circles eventually included the senior partners once she had been accepted by the teams who ran the PR for the more prominent events.

She had fought her peers to come to the attention of the senior partners, and she felt sure that this year she had a real chance at winning. She tried to tell herself not to get over-confident, but she was sure she had done everything possible to show her hunger to please the senior partners every time she ran into them. She was sure that maybe one or two of them even knew her name by now which was a big boost to her dreams of winning the bonus.

Belinda entered the conference room and looked around at the team she had worked with for the past six months and smiled as she took her seat. They were beginning the organisation for a regular event on the social calendar. The senior associate who led the team resumed talking about the need to keep the media away from a particularly prominent political couple during the fundraiser for IMA's. It was a political train wreck waiting to happen to have a senior front bencher attend the controversial charity event. His wife, though, was insistent that they make a show of support for the cause that helped the "poor boat people" as she put it. Officially known as Irregular Maritime Arrivals her language alone in calling them poor boat people was enough of a politically incorrect gaffe to make the papers.

The charity event was to raise funds to aid the care of those illegal immigrants in detention centres as they were processed. In addition to this, the proceeds were also used to aid those allowed onto the mainland to settle into communities that had populations with similar cultural backgrounds. It was a good cause and one Belinda truly believed in herself. She put one hundred and ten percent into doing the best she could for the small foundation that came under political scrutiny and pressure from the public who did not understand the legal minefield surrounding the issue.

Belinda heard all that was said and was able to join in the conversation even though when she took note of what she had been absent-mindedly doodling, she was surprised. There was her vision of a beach on Bedarra Island that beckoned her in her daydreams. She frowned at it momentarily before returning to the conversation at hand.

"Something wrong Belinda?" Nick asked.

"Oh? No, nothing at all," she replied quickly.

"You were frowning as we were discussing the guest speaker. You don't approve?" He probed her further.

"Well." She said thinking to herself that she didn't approve of yet another socialite taking the stage to drone on about something she couldn't possibly understand. "I actually think that if we could persuade an IMA who had been acclimatised to our culture, and was a productive part of society to get up and talk about their experiences, it would open more wallets than Lady Gainsford- Pickering. Do we honestly need to hear a heart-warming speech about doing the right thing and that the privileged owe it to their fellow man to look after them in some way. Some of these people might like to see what the money they give to the charity can do. In real tangible terms."

The people around the table stared at her and at that moment she wished she could have sunk down into the floor. As the newest member of this team, it wasn't her place to question the leadership of the team let alone the decisions the group had already seemingly made.

"Did you have someone particular in mind?" Nick prompted her, but this time it was him that was frowning.

"Have you heard of Tarsin Nurr? He is a University lecturer and originally came out with a wave of people from the northern pacific. I think an educated man such as himself would be wonderful to listen to rather than the same old 'dig deep it's for a good cause'we trot out every year. I think people demand greater transparency these days, greater accountability even." Belinda answered sounding more confident than she felt. She still wished that the floor would open up and swallow her whole.

"I see," he nodded and there was an uncomfortable silence for several moments before he said, "What do the rest of you think about Miss Moore's proposal?"

"It was just a stray thought, not a proposal!" Belinda hurriedly tried to back-pedal out of the situation I which she found herself. Why did he always call her Miss Moore at times like this? It made her feel foolish, like she didn't belong in the room with the other members of the team. Failing at one of these meetings could see her thrown off the team despite the amount of work she had put in to get here.

"So you wish to withdraw your proposal to change the guest speaker?" There was a challenge in his eyes and a half smiled played across his lips betraying his amusement.

"I stand by what I said about changing the guest speaker but it was hardly a proposal to be tabled, more an opening for discussion, a thought that we could share and discuss amongst the team. A proposal would take preparation time to put together properly," she spoke fast in a rush of nervousness. Not wanting to be seen to back down she was hard pressed to take back the thought she had voiced out loud.

"You seemed to have given this more thought than you words belie though. It took you only a moment to furnish a suitable replacement. Is this Tarsin Nurr a friend perhaps?" Nick seemed to be testing her, even playing with her. It was like a cat that had a mouse cornered. The half-smile stayed perfectly in place showing his amusement.

"It's true that as preparation for being part of this team, I researched the subject heavily as I do for all our events. Tarsin's name came up often in my research and I watched a webinar in which he gave an amazing speech about his life. I am sure I could link you all into the podcast if you would like to see for yourselves and make a better-informed decision. Had this been a proposal, I might have already had it at hand and ready to go. I am afraid I had not been prepared to make that thought into a full proposal at this meeting," Belinda glanced down at the floor again just wishing that hole would appear to swallow her.

Nick drummed his fingers on the table loudly, his gaze remaining on Belinda. From what he knew about her, she was smart, innovative and creative. She worked harder than most of the girls her age that this firm hired. He tilted his head as he studied her letting the drumming of his fingers make them all uncomfortable for a few moments longer.

"Okay, free reign. Put your thoughts and ideas out there on the table for all to see. You must have something going on in that pretty little head of yours Stacey. Share your thoughts on what we could do to make the event better than the format we followed for the last few years," Nick turned to the youngest of his team. Stacey was a beautiful young woman who he assumed was hired and placed in his team by a senior partner who had designs on making her the next Christmas bonus for the senior partners.

"We could maybe make it a themed event. Instead of black tie maybe go with a nautical theme?" Stacey suggested, and Belinda stared at her wide-eyed unbelieving that anyone on this team would suggest such a grossly inappropriate thing.

"Good God," Phillip, a man in his early thirties and on the fast track through the company rolled his eyes. "Why is she even on our team, as if I have to ask?" There was a murmur of assent around the table and Belinda could see the girl was unsure of the problem with what she had just said.

"Stacey, it might be a bit hard to look serious if the media think we are mocking the very cause we are promoting," she said softly without accusation. "The boats these people come in on are awful places, not sailboats and yachts and we could be seen as being a little insensitive."

"Oh," she said wide-eyed, "I didn't..."

"We know, but maybe someone else has a different idea," Belinda cut her off before she could dig herself any deeper into the hole she was already in.

Nick was impressed with Belinda's handling of what could have been a drama filled situation if Phillip had been allowed to go on unchecked. He encouraged a few others to table some ideas then set up two teams to tackle a new proposal each for revamping what was even to him an old and tired event.

"Go work on your proposals. We'll meet first thing in the morning. The event is approaching fast, and if we want to suggest wholesale changes to the agreed upon format, we will have to present them to the committee within a week," Nick announced. He then then waited as people began to pack up their equipment and leave. "Miss Moore, a moment, please." Belinda looked up and turned back to the table letting everyone file out past her.

"You worked hard to get a chance to have a choice of teams to join after your last success," Nick had begun to drum his fingers on the table again. "My client base holds some prestige but it's not quite in the big leagues. So it begs the question, why choose this team and then be reluctant to contribute decent ideas?"

"You're right this team holds some prestige and for me, so do you. You tend to choose causes and events I can believe in; you work with charity organisations that address things that matter, or at least to me. It's easier to work hard if you believe in what you are doing," she said simply.

"Bob's team have picked up some high-profile worthwhile events and clients that could give you equal prestige. Probably more so than my teams," he countered.

"That's true but he also handles more people of a disreputable nature than ones I respect. I did not want to find myself cleaning up a media nightmare because a spoilt star could contain their partying excesses," she said without rancour and as much honesty as she could summon.

"I have just as many nightmares waiting to happen, yet you can reconcile those it seems. Part of being in this firm and these teams is being part of the clean-up crew. We all have to do it. We are the fixers," he said slowly considering her again.

"Well, at the risk of sounding like I am a kiss-ass, I did my homework on all the senior associates who run these teams. You don't need a clean-up crew nearly as often as the others because you are pre-emptive. You weigh the risks at any given event, and like we just did, you table the risks and look for solutions before the problems arise. I would imagine that you plan to have one of the team placed strategically within reach of the politically incorrect politician's wife all night at this function," she challenged him with the last statement.

"So you thought my team would be an easier job than the others," Nick was enjoying trying to bait the young woman. Mostly the younger members of his team were the vapid beauty queens he was made to take on, or they were too timid to say boo to a goose. This girl was different, and he liked it.

Belinda took her time before answering trying to think of the best way to answer that particular challenge. She stared at him for a moment before finally answering, "I am not exactly sure that I thought about it being easier or harder. My preference is to make sure the mess doesn't occur in the first place than have to clean it up afterwards. That is why I chose your team or more specifically you as a mentor. Unlike Bob and Dave, you are respected by everyone in the company. You get the job done without all the posturing and gloating. You're seen to be fair-minded..."

"You don't have to suck up," Nick held up his hand to stop her, "You're already on the team, but you still didn't answer my original question. Why be so reticent to share your ideas? The change of guest speaker was a decent proposal."

"I worked hard to get on this team," she said softly, "I'm not like Stacey or the other pretty girls who float around this company and seem to do no wrong. I can't afford to speak out or rock the boat too much, I'm still a junior and if I move up in this world, I need to be seen as a team player." She hadn't included her dream of winning the Christmas bonus she so badly wanted.

"No, you are not like Stacey, or what was that girl's name who won the junior bonus last year?" he began drumming his fingers again. "I can never remember they are rarely here longer than six months. I imagine Stacey is in the running for it this year." He said offhandedly not realising the sensitive nerve he had hit in the woman still sitting at the table with him.

"What?" Belinda exclaimed before she could stop herself. Nick immediately turned and scrutinised her. "I mean," she tried desperately to back pedal. "She is lovely and sweet but her suggestions are hardly an asset to the team."

Nick roared with laughter and seeing Belinda frown he realised she had no idea what the Christmas bonus entailed despite being at the company for the last three years. This fact made the situation even more hilarious to him. She was too smart, too confident and had a unique look that made her attractive rather than superficially pretty like the dumb bimbo's he got lumped with every year. It suddenly occurred to him why she had chosen his team to be on. Each of the last few winners of the Christmas bonus had come from his team just like he was sure Stacey would.

"I guess you had better go see what you team is doing then before Stacey has them all agreeing to dress up like pirates on the night," he continued to laugh as Belinda left the room. Nick watched her go. She was good he had to give her that. She had him believing the reasons she gave for joining his team over some of the other more high profile teams. Her reaction to the bonus though had him thinking otherwise.

Belinda worked with her half of the team to come up with a new proposal for the event. It not only included a new guest speaker, but also an additional idea that they all agreed would work to their favor. They provided a list of interesting and socially active MIA's that they could place at each table. These people could tell their stories at various intervals during the night or at least regal their tables with relevant anecdotes and information thus demystifying the issues surrounding the charity in question.

Nick had begun to watch her carefully, whatever her reasons for joining his team were he could not fault her work in any way. The reality was that everything she did and proposed only enhanced the events for which they were responsible. She was good with the other people in the team, especially Stacey, for which was hugely grateful. Had she been over twenty-five he may well have floated her name for a Christmas bonus award himself.

On more than one occasion over the following weeks he saw her speaking with the partners and trying to be flirtatious, and it concerned him that she was trying to vie for the junior Christmas bonus. He had been ignoring the games of the senior partners for years. He wasn't sure what exactly what winning the Inspiring Young Woman bonus entailed, but he was damn sure it had nothing to do with their work at the company. As soon as they won though, they were gone fro his team, so he never gave it much thought. It was that purposeful ignorance that found him constantly saddled with the bimbo's who sought to climb the corporate ladder with their looks rather than hard work and determination.

What happened on Bedarra was the worst kept secret in the company or so he thought until now. Maybe his executive position made him privy to more about the senior partners but he still found it hard to fathom that no one had noticed that not one winner of that particular bonus still worked at the company.

It concerned him that he might lose a young woman who was proving to be a valuable asset to his team. He told himself that she was too smart, too confident and not a bimbo over and again to ease his concerns. Seeing her begin to flirt with the senior partners irked him, though, and the fact that he cared bothered him just as much on a whole other level.

*****

The IMA event was an outstanding success. Nick and his team were the shining stars of the moment in the company. The outcomes of the event had doubled the donations to the charity and by Nick taking on the role of minder for the high profile politician and his wife the press they received was glowingly favourable.

With the name of their company so often being touted as the fixers for errant celebrities, it was a welcome change of pace to be in the spotlight for a charity event. Nick received a hefty bonus as well as an invitation to dine with the senior partners that weekend. Nick was a fair man, and he knew it was mostly due to the revamping of the event through Belinda's well thought out proposal that his team was being lauded. Despite his reservations, at the lunch with the senior partners and he told them as much. He even went so far as to suggest she be put on the executive track the following year. He had meant it. She would one day be a successful team leader, but he admitted to himself, putting her in a position of returning the following year would end any concerns about her going to Bedarra Island.

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,526 Followers
123456...8