The Chronicles of Hvad Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She didn't raise the subject of marriage again. We both remembered what she'd said, though. It was slightly awkward, as we both avoided the topic.

Truth be told, I didn't know what to say. Was marriage even an option, for Borna's Hand? I had to follow him, wherever he went. And was it wise, for an Uplands chieftain, to marry a Lowlander? Could she maintain her position, as wife to Borna's Hand?

We never discussed these things. Perhaps we should have. Or perhaps not.

I certainly didn't love her any the less. She was my Shining One. Of course, life often plays tricks on us, or presents us with situations we had never envisaged.

- "I think ... I think I may be with child." she said.

***

"Sit down." said Borna. He filled a cup for me, and refilled his own. The great hall was busy, and full of people, but we had a little island of privacy at the end of the high table.

- "Trouble?"

- "No. Nothing's wrong. I just wanted to let you what I'm planning for the spring."

- "Oh?" That was unusual. Borna often shared his plans, but rarely so far in advance. Winter was barely beginning.

- "I'll start with Mahuc. I've already sent the Ban a message, to let him know that I'll be paying him a visit."

- "He'll be shitting his pants." I predicted. The Ban of Mahuc was aging. He had married later in life, and his heirs were still young. He was no warrior, either.

- "I emphasized the friendly nature of the visit." said Borna, with a smile. "But you're right: he'll be worrying about my intentions all winter long."

- "He'll look to Hvad town - that's his only possible ally."

- "I think so, too. But I've sent them a message, as well, asking to meet the Council."

Hvad's only major town was ruled by a triumvirate, composed of a wealthy merchant, a veteran warrior, and the owner of the largest brewery in Hvad. It was a curious form of government, but somehow, the townies made it work. Still, speedy decisions were hard to come by. Borna would need the agreement of all three men.

- "You intend to arrive representing five provinces?" I asked.

- "Right. Peaceful persuasion with the Ban of Mahuc, then hard bargaining with the Council."

- "How many warriors will you take?"

- "Only 150 or so. But I'll have men from Yelsa, and plenty of Uplanders. Just to make it clear that it's not just Yeseriya and a subject Adarion. You know, Imants and Noyemi performed in Mahuc and in Hvad town. I'm hoping that it will help."

- "Will you bring Keptel, and the engineer?"

- "Of course." said Borna. Somehow, though, he didn't sound very optimistic.

- "I've spent a lot of time with Keptel, just as you ordered. I think he can be very convincing."

- "Maybe."

- "Maybe? What do you mean?"

Borna didn't reply. Instead, he drained his cup, and refilled it once more.

"Indrek wasn't fully convinced." he said.

As promised, we had let Ahli and her father interview our Izumyrian captives.

"Keptel was believable. But he admitted that he's half Hvadi. I could see that Indrek had his doubts about which half was which. Keptel could very well be the by-blow of an Izumyrian merchant and one of our women. It didn't help that he spent so much time talking with you: he's picked up a bit of a Yeseriyan accent."

- "Shit! It didn't even occur to me -"

- "Not your fault." said Borna. "But if Indrek was suspicious, it could be even worse with the townies."

- "They'll think that we put him up to it."

- "Could be. Meanwhile, the engineer has perfected his denials. Now he claims to be an architect. Says he was on his way to Hvad town to study our building styles when we brutally kidnapped him and his manservant."

- "You mean 'manservants' - plural." I suggested.

- "No. He's gotten clever. Claims that Keptel wasn't with him." said Borna.

- "Lying sack of -"

- "Yes. So you see the problem. We have proof. It's just not convincing enough."

- "Hand the fucker over to Meeli. She'd have the truth out of him." I regretted that the moment I'd said it. I wouldn't have given my worst enemy to Meeli. Mind you - all of my worst enemies were dead. But I did amuse myself by imagining a meeting between Meeli and Vazrig.

- "Hmm ..." said Borna.

- "What are we going to do?" I asked him.

- "Not 'we', Ljudevit." said Borna. "You."

- "Me? What am I going to do?"

- "You're going to Izumyr."

My jaw dropped. That was not at all what I'd expected when he invited me to sit down. Then I realized that Borna had been planning this for some time.

- "That's why you told me to learn Izumyrian. To talk to Keptel." I said.

- "Not at first. I just wanted to find out what he knew. But it did occur to me that having you learn their language could come in handy."

- "And you think that Barsam is going to receive me, as your envoy, and provide me with cast-iron proof that he's plotting an invasion?"

- "You're not going as my envoy, Ljudevit." said Borna. "You're going as a spy."

*****