The Chronicles of Hvad Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Barsam turned to Voss. "What say you, Baron?"

- "Hmmph. A stratagem? Unwise. And unnecessary, my Lord. To rely on these turncoats -"

He needn't have spoken. Barsam was still impressed by my fights with Dagnis' men. He also liked to believe that there were more Hvadi like me - willing to fight for him, and shed blood for the rightness of his cause.

- "It is a brilliant idea." said the young Duke. "Such a ruse could save many lives. These will be my future subjects, after all."

Baron Kaim still didn't approve, but he wasn't about to directly challenge his Duke. I saw my opportunity, and snatched it.

- "If you wish it done, Lord, I should return to Hvad, to gather my friends."

Barsam looked mildly alarmed. "How long would that take, Preet?"

I felt a minor qualm of conscience; he had almost pronounced my friend's name correctly. Then I remembered his original plan for sacking Hvad town, and I steeled myself.

- "Two months, Lord. Three at most. I would have to travel home, contact my allies, and prepare them to gather in Hvad town when the time is right."

Borna didn't believe that I knew how to lie effectively. Perhaps I wasn't exactly telling a lie - but I was deceiving the young Duke, in a way.

"Does enough time remain for me to do this, before you launch the invasion?" I asked.

- "We won't move until next year - late spring, or early summer. We're still waiting for some of the mercenaries, and there are boats to build -"

- "My Lord Duke." said Kaim. "Is it wise to reveal so much to this man? He is ... Fadi, after all."

Barsam glanced at me, almost apologetically, before turning to his advisor.

- "Preet has already been of great service to me. He is trustworthy, Kaim. And if he can accomplish this ... then taking Hvad town will be much simpler."

"Besides - it is common knowledge that we cannot move until next year."

Barsam gave me a brilliant smile.

- "Go ahead, Preet. Do what you can, and come back as soon as possible."

***

I went back to the Marga for one more night.

Dulo met me at the door, and surprised me by enveloping me in her arms. Before I could understand what she was doing, she kissed me soundly on the cheek.

It was only when she released me that I realized what was different about the Marga: every single seat was taken. The inn was full to bursting. And every single eye in the place was fixed on the two of us.

- "I'm sorry." she whispered. "I didn't know what to do. They've been here for hours, waiting for you. I ... I panicked."

- "They all think that you chose me?" I whispered back.

- "Yes."

- "Then ... let them think so." I said. I dropped my hands, wrapped them around her back, and pulled her close. I kissed her soundly, and released her only when I desperately needed to breathe.

The assembled spectators applauded. There were a few groans, and an audible moan, but the vast majority were happy for Dulo, and for me.

- "There you go." I said. "I'll be down for dinner shortly."

I couldn't quite read her expression. Dulo looked mildly confused - then she stepped back, and punched me in the arm. Payl would have hit much harder, but I wondered why women that I was attracted to insisted on hitting me.

I went to my room, packed up my few belongings, and returned to main room. Some of the patrons had gone home, so there were a few seats available - notably one next to my old friend Rasiph. I made my way there.

- "You rotter." he said, as I sat down on the bench.

- "Pardon?"

- "How was she? You have to tell me. I've imagined it a thousand times ..."

- "You mean Dulo?"

- "Yes!"

- "She is a magnificent woman." I said. That much was simple truth.

- "Oh, Gods ..." moaned Rasiph. "I knew it ..."

I ate my dinner, and drank several pints of the Marga's finest. A score or more of the young men came by to congratulate me. Most simply offered me their hands. A few spoke - awkwardly - of my good fortune. Almost every one insisted on buying me a drink. Even though I passed several of them to Rasiph, I had a hard time keeping up.

It was quite late before the last patron was gone. I'd had too much to drink. But the expression on Dulo's face made me feel that it had all been worth it.

- "Thank you." she said.

- "You may not wish to thank me. You were right, Dulo - I must return home."

- "Really? When?"

- "Tomorrow."

I couldn't quite read her expression. Had she been hoping that our kiss at the door meant something more?

"I hope that this will not cause you more trouble."

- "No." she said. "We'll miss you. I mean, Rasiph and me, at least."

I placed a handful of Barsam's coins on the table.

- "Let Rasiph drink what he likes as long as these last." I said.

- "You're a good man, Priit." she said.

I could only shake my head. "I wish I was."

Thankfully, Dulo did not pursue that line of conversation any further.

The following morning, she kissed me on the cheek again, before I saddled up my horse, and set off of Hvad - for home.

*****


[1] An Eastern European dish made of any type of grain boiled in water or milk. Usually buckwheat, though any cereal will do. In other words, porridge.