The Chronicles of Hvad Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Borna and Ahli stood on a low hill, across the river from Hvad town. It was a clear night, and the sky was filled with twinkling stars. There were lights a-plenty in the town as well, as inns and taverns catered to their thirsty patrons.

- "Thinking about tomorrow?" asked Ahli.

- "Always." said Borna, as he looked up at the stars.

- "I mean the meeting with the triumvirate." she said.

- "I know you did."

Hvad town was ruled by a trio, who shared powers and responsibilities. Borna had come to ask for their continued support, to establish - and maintain - a fighting force which would defend against the threat of Izumyrian invasion.

To that same end, Borna had been busy eliminating opposition in Adarion, and putting his own trustworthy people into positions of authority. Aare and Modri were still there.

Then the news had arrived, only two days ago: there would be no invasion.

Barsam was dead, assassinated by a Hvadi renegade named Priit - or 'Preet', as the Izumyrians pronounced it. The city mob had gone on a rampage the same night, massacring any Hvadi they could find - or anyone who looked or sounded Hvadi.

- "You still haven't told me," said Ahli, "how you feel about it. The ... the news from Izumyr."

- "I know."

- "Are you relieved?" she asked.

Borna took hold of her hand, and squeezed it gently.

- "Of course. It means that hundreds - perhaps thousands - won't die. We won't have to take to the forest, or flee to the Uplands. Our friends won't be hunted fugitives."

"Yes, I'm relieved."

- "But this will make it more difficult to persuade the town that they should support you." said Ahli. "We need their fighters - and their money."

- "I like the way you say 'we'." said Borna. "But don't worry - they're not fools. They'll know that we've escaped an invasion by the skin of our teeth. And they'll be willing to contribute, to make sure we're protected in future."

- "And if they don't?"

- "They will." said Borna. "You'll be very persuasive. And if there's any difficulty, we can overcome it."

"And then we'll build a castle here - on this very spot."

- "A castle? Here?" said Ahli.

- "A stone castle, in the Izumyrian style. It will overlook Hvad town. Protected by water on two sides, with a deceptively steep slope in front ... this is a good location. We'll have to dig a deep ditch on the last side, but it will do."

- "A castle? To protect the town?" asked Ahli.

- "Oh no, dear - to dominate it. That's what castles are for."

Ahli did not let go of Borna's hand, but she did turn her head, to look at him sidelong.

- "To dominate?"

Borna nodded. "Once the Bans have agreed to make me Voivode - or whatever title they'll accept - I can't let them decide to un-make me. Seven or eight quarreling Bans can't defend Hvad - but a single leader can."

Ahli nodded. The couple held hands, and looked out into the night, for a time. The silence did not trouble either of them.

Eventually, though, Ahli spoke.

- "You haven't said anything about Ljudevit."

Borna sighed.

- "I offered to make him a Hospodar. Did you know that?"

- "He would have been a good one."

- "He refused. Twice." Borna sighed. "Ever since we were lads, he was my Hand. My life was his, to protect. And his life was mine, to spend as and when I saw fit."

- "He could have been a Hospodar. But he chose to remain with you." said Ahli.

- "I wish you could have known him better." said Borna.

- "I knew him." said Ahli. "He was kind, and wise. And brave. In fact, meeting Ljudevit was one of the things that convinced me to marry you."

- "Oh? How so?"

- "I thought that if you had chosen such a man as Ljudevit to be your Hand, then it told me a great deal about you."

- "Ah."

- "You value loyalty, of course. Everyone does. But you could have picked a much more intimidating warrior -"

- "Like Lovro?" said Borna.

- "For one." said Ahli. "But I saw qualities in Ljudevit, and it gave me hope ..."

- "That I might see those same qualities in you?" asked Borna.

Ahli hung her head.

- "Am I so obvious?"

Borna pulled her closer, and leaned over to kiss her forehead.

- "I do love you, Ahli. And I loved Ljudevit. He saved my life - more than once. He was one of the very few people that I could call on to perform any task - whatever it might be."

"We were friends from childhood. And I will never find his like again."

- "We should honour him." said Ahli.

- "Of course we should." said Borna. "He saved Hvad. But how can I show him honour, without leading Izumyr to believe that we plotted Barsam's assassination?"

- "There must be a way. Or ways." said Ahli.

- "There are." said Borna. "I will have a grave dug for him, in my new castle. I will also insist that every guslar learn 'Borna's Bucket' - and play it every time they perform."

- "Of course." she said. "He's given us time, to build your castle."

- "That's so. But he's also given us time to have our people begin to see themselves as Hvadi, rather than Yelsans or Yeseriyans."

- "Or Uplanders?"

- "That may take quite a bit longer."

They stood together in silence, for a time.

"Ahli ... with your permission - I would like to name our second son Ljudevit."

- "Our second? You're very sure of yourself. What will be the name of the first?"

- "Borna."

***

EPILOGUE

Ljudevit was executed three days after Barsam's death. He was hung by the neck, but cut down while still alive. He was then emasculated, disembowelled, and finally beheaded. His body was quartered, and the pieces were then impaled on spikes above the gates of Lacine.

Back in Hvad, only a very few knew what he had done. Barsam's assassin was known only as Preet, an anonymous Hvadi.

Fifty years later, Ljudevit was known only as a character in the popular song 'Borna's Bucket'. Very few people remembered that he had been Borna's first Hand.

Barsam died without an acknowledged heir. His maternal uncle claimed the Duchy, but this was contested by two of Barsam's cousins, also on his mother's side. The adventurers who were coming north for the invasion of Hvad now chose rival candidates to support. The mercenaries sold their services to whoever promised to pay them.

In the spring, open civil war broke out between the claimants. It lasted for three bloody years, and ended only when the King of Izumyr imposed a peace, and placed his own nominee in the Ducal chair.

There was no invasion of Hvad.

Payl's son and daughter were raised in the Uplands. Many years later, two young men came out of the eastern hills to offer their service to the Voivode. They claimed to be the great-grandsons of Payl and Ljudevit.

THE END

*****

Thanks again to my editors, Alianath Iriad and Lastman416. Thanks also to my readers, for their support and constructive criticism.

The sequel to this story is almost finished.