The Clinton Enterprises Saga Pt. 08

Story Info
London.
6.7k words
4.81
6.5k
6

Part 8 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 12/30/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 8 - London

Chapter 14 - A Recruiting Trip Abroad

After the fuss over whether Janice should be recruited, Liu called two days later and asked if I was interested in a trip to London.

"The Head of R&D for the Asians is giving a talk at a major trade show next week. His assistant called and wondered if you could hop over there for a day or two to discuss the Joint Venture. They will pick up expenses."

"Sounds like an invitation I should accept."

"Yes, if you can spare the time."

I decided this was the right moment to raise the Janice option with him, and described my thinking. Leaving out the part about who was not going to sleep with whom.

"Alec, sounds like one of your standard long shots. She's brilliant, but who knows if she would put her heart into it?"

"We know each other well enough not to kid around. Especially face to face. I was considering going over to see her in the next few days, so your phone call is timely. Give me the Asian's contact number and I will take things from here, and kill two fish at the same time. Could you get her current email address for me from the alumni office?

He laughed. "Sure thing. Don't tell Janice you are killing fish!"

When I got off the phone, Anna was standing there, scowling. "Can you be trusted alone with her?" She twisted my arm behind me and propelled us up the stairs to the communal bedroom. "Get your clothes off and get in there."

"It's the middle of the day. What will the others say?"

She had on black lace undies that would send any male over the moon. But the sharp knee in my crotch carried displeasure.

We wrestled around, with her cursing me roundly, until a crowd showed up. We lay back, panting. I said, "She attacked me. Doesn't think I can be trusted in London."

Sitting up, hair a mess, face flushed, she muttered, "This is bad. I am being so silly."

In a moment, I was shoved to one side and four females were comforting her. I tried to slink away, but was caught at the door by Clara and Emily. I grabbed them and hustled us to the kitchen. "Anna is taking the Janice business very hard. Should I give it up?"

Emily made tea while Clara did exercises on my parts, bending fingers way back, squeezing my balls, and generally giving me a hard time. Irritated, I put her back against the big butcher block stand and applied front to front pressure with a hard kiss. It took more than a minute before she relaxed and pulled back. "Of course, she is going to complain. We have tender feelings about your loving if you hadn't noticed."

They dragged me to the cushioned settee in the bay window, and scrunched around until my contours satisfied them. I played with their hair and hummed while they allowed me sips from their mugs.

"The Asians are paying my way so that I can discuss the joint venture with Dr. Sung, their head of R&D. He is giving a talk at a big trade show. Seeing Janice is a sideline."

They talked past me. "He is such a joke. Anna says Janice is the hottest babe you ever saw."

"But she dumped me! Left me in the dust as her rocket lifted to the stars!"

Clara pushed my head back as Emily's fingers edged closer to my vitals. Her voice was not much more than a whisper. "Tell us, entrepreneur of the year, how you convince her to return without lying about your friends at Clinton Enterprises? When she asks about your love life without her in it?"

There was enough edge in Clara's voice for me to realize how much trouble I could get into. How to put the shoe on the other foot? "Um, maybe you should give me some advice. Is there a standard way to bring an ex-lover back into a business relationship?"

While they hissed under their breath, I was urged to the front room and down on the deep pile of the recently arrived Persian carpet designed to impress visitors. "Can you believe this? He asks the two youngest for advice? The two who don't even have a boyfriend breakup in their history yet?"

This time they put their heads on my belly and pulled the sofa throw over us. "Don't say anything, we are thinking."

I nibbled on finger tips and hummed quietly. This was much nicer than sitting across a table from Janice. Others arrived from upstairs and sat quietly, watching us and saying nothing. Emma was on the end and had one of those smiles that spelled trouble.

"If you are lucky, your smart, beautiful, sexy ex-girlfriend is frustrated because the Brit offers she thought were so terrific have not panned out. The advertised techies are dumb. The advertised brilliant traders are just imitating things Wall Street has been doing for a while. The glass ceiling is still there. She has secretly been wondering how to escape."

The bodies on the sofa were humming louder. Emma's smile was worse. Damn.

This time it was Emily's turn. "If you are very very lucky, she has found a guy who gives her fantastic orgasms!"

The sofa was clapping loudly. I jumped up, "Enough!" We need a run!"

It was chilly and gray. I was quickly out of breath with the fast pace. Emma and Beth were with me, laughing between deep breaths. "Emma, he is amazingly lucky. Our two college girls completely have his number!"

I groaned and ran harder. Was it remotely possible that she found a man in London? A guy so hot and lovable that she wanted a package deal? Double damn.

Back at the house, sweaty and cooling rapidly, I watched Clara play with plane reservations. "It's six hours nonstop. You can go first thing in the morning, or dinner time here."

"Would it work to invite her to dinner the evening I arrive? I won't be very sleepy."

She looked back at me with a grin, "Will she kill you for standing her up when there is plane trouble?"

I kneaded strong shoulders and said, "Book it on one of those pay tomorrow deals and I'll email her now."

There was no peace in the shower. My lovers were determined to make this difficult. Loud threats made no difference. I was squeezed and stroked and instructed to take them all. I did, bending the luscious bodies against the tile, but there was no spark. My simple brain was already across the ocean, worrying about Sung and Janice.

Amy had hold of a mostly limp item. "We've lost him. He is already worrying about next week."

Everyone went back to work, leaving me to email Janice and look for Sung's assistant's number to complete arrangements.

Janice's answer to my softly worded note was aggressive. "Of course, I want to have dinner with you! Send me flight info and I will collect you at Heathrow. If everything falls apart, call me when you do get here and we will find a time. Have loads to share with you! And I want to know everything about the mysterious Dr. Sung!"

Lots of exclamation points, I thought. Grabbing a printed copy, I hunted down Anna and found a quiet corner for her to read it.

"What do you think?"

"You've been ignoring me."

"Bull. People are finally getting some work done. Where is that product flyer you owe Beth and me?"

My belly got a fist into it, hard. "This afternoon, dummy. Don't change the subject. This could mean anything. She is certainly still full of fire."

Chapter 15 - Janice Again

British Airways was on time, and I was talking to Janice from the arrivals terminal before 7:30 in the evening. Even luckier, I was walking out of the terminal with my carryon before 8. I didn't get to just hop in, she was out of her seat and in my arms with a hot kiss before I could do anything but kiss back.

"God, you look good," she gushed as we zoomed out of the airport. "I hear incredible rumors about your startup with Anna!" I was too busy being alarmed at the left hand drive roadside curbs whizzing by to respond. The first roundabout was even worse. Good grief, an instant accident for an American driver.

"Scary, isn't it," she laughed. "I almost died the first time out over here."

We headed cross-country to the southeast toward the Thames and landed in an upscale place near the water. "You don't mind going to dinner immediately?" I took her arm and leaned for a kiss to her cheek, which only got me her lips again. "I have a shocking tale to tell you, but gin is needed first."

Underneath the fashionable wool coat was a gorgeous emerald green silk cocktail dress with a respectable bodice that still showcased her fine chest. I handed off the coat and we followed the hostess to a quiet table in the back, with a view through french doors.

"They are tough about drinking and driving here, so you get to order the martini, but I get sips!"

I smiled, "We've graduated from grad students with no wheels?"

She reached for my hand, "When you and I were an item, I was so tired of school. Remember how awful I was?" Her eyes crinkled at me. "Simply awful," I repeated.

The martini arrived in a crystal glass and she swallowed a lot more than a sip. After a pause, she continued, "Well, life in the job market isn't a bed of roses, is it?"

"We asked for it, jumping so unwisely into semiconductors."

"Yes, unwisely. But first, before anything else, I have to tell you that I have found a guy. A real man, actually, and I am in love."

She stopped and waited for a reaction. I tried my damnedest to keep a straight face as utter and total relief swept through me. I clasped her hand between both of mine. "I am very happy for you. The Janice I knew in Boston was a hard sell for boyfriends!"

She reached for a fake slap, worrying the approaching waiter. I spoke up, "She just told me some very good news and I was teasing..."

"Sir, I am glad to hear that. We frown, as it were, on spats in our establishment."

Janice blushed and squeaked, "I am so sorry..."

We concentrated on ordering, and the waiter retreated with a little smile of his own.

With a terrific load off my mind, I decided to be as brash as she had been. "You may find this hard to believe, but one reason I am here is to recruit you!"

"My god, you're not! To do what? Where is the job? I'm just about to get a ring from Jeremy."

"Tell me, is there any possible chance you might consider being the Director of a high level joint venture between an Asian group and my startup? Liu has got me into the project and we need a strong person to lead it."

Her eyes narrowed. "Any possible chance? You are trying to get me committed before I even know what is going on?"

I sat back and sipped the martini. Surprisingly, her eyes softened and she said, "Please don't tease. The two of us are both unhappy with our work, but short on ideas for what to do. I was actually crying my eyes out on his shoulder last night about the latest asinine idea my current boss is promoting. It's going to lose us at least a hundred million pounds but I don't dare go over his head."

"So, there is a possible chance? Especially if we could find a job for Jeremy in Boston? What if I leaned on Liu for help with a postdoc at Sloan?"

"Alec, I am simply going to faint deadaway. Right here at the dinner table. You can't imagine what an agreeable shock this is!"

"Good. We shouldn't try to talk details tonight, with gin and jet lag in me. What about brunch tomorrow? My treat."

"No! My treat. You have to meet Jeremy anyway, so we will host you at my apartment. His place is outside Oxford, so he bunks with me on weekends."

The entree arrived as I was appreciating the look on her face when she mentioned the boyfriend. A tiny ember of jealousy flared, but was instantly extinguished by the sight of her happiness. I definitely needed to meet the guy who had successfully romanced Janice.

Not knowing what to expect in the way of reaction from her about the joint venture, I had not mentally prepared any story about Clinton Enterprises. I certainly couldn't lie, I would be instantly found out when she arrived back in Cambridge.

I did the obvious guy thing, I pretended to be goofy from the gin, and stayed on the very light side of details on Anna and me and the startup, saying there were several talented helpers, and the main office was already open on Mass Ave.

We had come late to dinner and we left late at almost eleven. Fortunately, this meant that the notorious London traffic was modest. She pulled up in front of Brown's in forty minutes.

"Fancy digs you have, Alec. Brown's is four star. Running through your cash in a hurry?"

I feinted at her arm, remembering that ex-boyfriends do not get to be physical anymore.

"Sung is staying here, and they are picking up my room. He is arriving from Seoul in mid-afternoon tomorrow and has asked me to join him for dinner. If you and I get somewhere in the morning, I'd like permission to mention your name at dinner."

She leaned for a kiss. "Damn Alec, you don't give a girl any time to decide, do you?"

I patted her boob and ducked out.

Chapter 16 - Dimensions of a Deal

For multiple reasons, I had a restless night, and was only half asleep when my cell chimed with a call from Janice at nine. "Are you alive?"

"Hard to say until I've had some coffee. I suppose you have already been for a Sunday run?"

"Right you are. Would a pickup in an hour work?"

"Yes. You are very kind to collect me. I'll be on the curb."

She pulled up in a well used Audi. "This is Jeremy's car. I don't have one. The traffic is unbelievable, and the firm keeps me on the road more than half the time."

"Where do you live? How bad is the commute?"

"On the east side of Regent's Park, not far from St. Pancras, where the Eurostar departs for Europe. The Underground takes me within a block of our offices in the City."

In not very many minutes, we were diving into a parking garage underneath her building and riding a card protected elevator to the fifth floor. She was tense and holding my hand as we approached the door to apartment 512. "Be nice to him," she whispered.

With a little work, we could have been screen doubles. Except for the incredibly cultured British accent. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Alec, I am Jeremy Thompson. Your reputation precedes you."

I was led to a kitchen counter with stools and offered a mug of steaming black coffee. Janice stood on the cooktop side, putting on an apron and staring at us. We stared back and sipped without saying anything.

"This has to stop before it even starts. I am not letting two men in my life tease me."

Jeremy and I looked at each other and raised our hands, "We haven't said a thing!"

I said, "She is very physical. Likes to wrestle before..."

Jeremy answered, "I've noticed..."

She pleaded, "Please, please, talk work or something. I can't deal with two of you. Especially with the history..."

I decided to get out in front. "Jeremy, she is the hottest thing alive, but we are definitely past tense. I am very happy to see the two of you have a thing going. She needs a strong man in her life."

While I was speaking, Janice had run around the counter and was backed into Jeremy's arms. "If you had said that to me in Boston, it would have started a big fight. But this one is good for me. He's a soccer player like you. Says I am his tension release afterwards."

A big smile, flashing eyes, and pulling Jeremy's hands over her boobs let me know how tight she was with this handsome Brit.

"If you two need another go...?"

A violent shake of her head. "You are Impossible. Why did I think this would work?"

The new boyfriend and I were shaking with laughter. Both of us knew how much she liked to be in control. Back working on the eggs, she joined the laughter. "Enough about me. Tell Jeremy about this Joint Venture idea."

Since we weren't in a hurry, I digressed into a brief summary of how Anna's software talent and my hardware talent had us working together in an embedded processor startup.

"We are young enough and foolish enough to think we might make some money. Liu likes us and has a lot of connections. A few weeks ago, he got a call from his Asian contacts inquiring about a joint venture that would use some of the techniques the Americans have to jump start a more innovation directed mindset in their researchers. We haven't had our first meeting, so there is not a lot more information to go with that sketchy description."

The eggs were perfect and we were busy eating and talking. I asked, "Janice said you were an economics PhD from Oxford. Where in that spectrum do you fit?

The marvelous voice rolled out at me. "I did my dissertation on quantitative applications of theory to product development and pricing in electronics. Did some new work on the difference in strategies between market leaders and market followers."

Janice cut in, "His thesis is going to be published in a refereed journal this fall. I told him he should take his time looking for work."

He smiled, "It's worse than that, she has been paying my bills since the graduate fellowship ran out."

We had gravitated to the sofa with more coffee and she was back in his arms. The sharp voice I remembered said, "So you are offering me a chance to be the boss of something R&Dish with no present content whatever? Probably no yearend bonus? No housing subsidy?" Her toes poked me. "Sounds like an Alec Clinton caper."

I gave her my best evil grin while working the feet and ankles vigorously. "Yes, all of that. The two of us will work up a revised resume for you which I will show to Dr. Sung this evening. It will be heavy on the quality of your PhD work, and light on your current frustrations with British finance people. I will advise that you might be interested if the JV takes shape and gets off the ground. I will further advise that if he wishes to meet you while he is here, that can be arranged. Discreetly, of course."

Janice was turned over, her head shaking in Jeremy's shoulder. "Damn you, Alec. I ran away because I thought there was money and glory here! Thank God, I've got Jeremy's shoulder to cry on."

More evil grin, "I have a suspicion Jeremy has more for you than a shoulder to cry on."

A muffled, "Oh fuck!" came back at me. Jeremy's big hand swatted the clothed bottom sticking up between us. "Behave!"

She turned over and smiled through tears. "How did you know I would fall for your crazy idea to bring me back to Cambridge?"

"I didn't. But when Anna and Liu and I talked about hiring for the JV, and the need for a strong, technically competent leader, it wasn't long before your name came up. I did talk to Liu about you."

Jeremy handed her a tissue and she sat up straight between us, wiping. After a moment, she punched my arm as she had so often before. "Tell me what he said."

"I think we are not supposed to get physical with each other. You have a new man in your life."

She took Jeremy's hand. "If I am going to work for him, I have to be able to throw punches when I get mad. It won't mean I am about to jump into bed."

Jeremy's eyes were open and questioning. We had known each other for hardly an hour. I said, "He has to be with you, or no deal. I don't do trans-Atlantic relationships."

She took a deep breath. "That's fine. He will visit as a tourist while we sort things out. The right kind of job offer will come with a work visa."

Jeremy winked at me past Janice. His woman was back in control mode.

I took her free hand and squeezed. Just like that we had a deal. The metaphorical bridge had been crossed. Everything could fall apart in an instant, but the talented and mercurial Janice was onboard.

I said, very lightly, "I have no idea how to sell this at home. Ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend, both of them expensive PhD's, with no firm deal with the Asians and no housing..."

The punch was harder and Jeremy was laughing harder. I decided a timely exit was necessary. They needed a chance to bounce this new idea around, and maybe a little additional bouncing as well. Probably not on the carpet, which didn't look anywhere near as soft as the one in Boston.

"I am going to walk down to the river and back to Brown's. The exercise will do me good and let me organize my thoughts for tonight's meeting with Sung. After you have massaged that resume, send me an email copy. Do you want a call tonight, or is tomorrow better?"

12