The Conner Family Ch. 08

Story Info
Jen & Ken Conner as 16 year old teenagers.
5.1k words
4.68
8.2k
10

Part 8 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 12/03/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Rugrat60
Rugrat60
106 Followers

~~~ Prologue ~~~

The two Conner families were out in the rolling hills and forests of a local National Park where they were planning on camping for two nights, Friday and Saturday and they would return home on Sunday afternoon. But as school was out for the summer and with Monday being a Holiday and the weather had remained good, they could if they elected to, as they had planned the trip with enough supplies for an extra day. So the adults had elected to stay another night. And cousins Jen and Ken Conner had just had their 16th birthday the week before.

"A Trouble With Pine Cones"

© by Rugrat60

"Dad!" called out sixteen year old Jennifer Ann Conner to her father, Samuel Conner who sat with his back to her by the fire pit where he was tending to the campfire. Sitting next to him was her Uncle Robert, Samuel's older brother. "We're heading out now."

Jennifer, who stood with her cousin Kenneth Robert Conner, who was also sixteen. They were standing at the edge of the camp site near the start of one of the many park trails. The sign behind them pointed to 'Long Lake' in one direction and 'Bitter Creek' in another direction.

Samuel, Jennifer's father, sitting on a log by the fire, looked at his wife Karen, who was sitting at the nearby picnic table on the other side of the fire pit and he smiled. "Jennifer," he asked without looking towards Jen, "where's your hiking pack?"

Sitting at the picnic table beside Karen was her twin sister Sharon who was chuckling. Jennifer's hiking pack lay on the table between them. They knew it was hers as her name was on it. All of their hiking packs had their names on them. And everyone there for the weekend had their own 'just-in-case' hiking pack.

Karen, Jennifer's mother, pointed at the pack beside her.

"Ken has his!" stated Jen rather quickly.

"Jennifer!" stated Karen. "Your manners please."

Jen's father, Samuel replied softly, "That's not what I asked you, Jennifer." He continued to poke at the fire with a long stick of wood, still without looking towards his daughter. "Would you rather be tending the fire the rest of the weekend?"

"Dad!" exclaimed Jen. "We're not going far."

Still without turning Samuel held up his right hand with his index finger up. "Hiking Rule One!"

"Go with a buddy," replied Jennifer. "I'm going with Ken."

"Rule Two?" questioned Samuel as he popped up a second finger as he still smiled at his wife Karen.

Jennifer sighed and then replied, "Let someone know your destination. We're going to Long Lake, Dad."

Karen just shook her head but there was the beginning of a smile.

Samuel smiled at Karen.

Karen waited, already knowing the next question.

Samuel, asked the third question with a third finger raised, "Rule Three?"

"Be prepared," replied Jen.

Then there was silence.

Samuel waited a few moments and then asked the obvious next question as he smiled at his brother. "Are you prepared?"

"Ken has his hiking pack," replied Jennifer.

Samuel smiled as he shook his head, still without turning. "Not what I asked, Jennifer."

"But, Dad," complained Jen. "We're not going far."

Smiling, Samuel shook his head again, still without turning. "Still not an answer."

Beside Samuel his brother Robert was chuckling.

Karen was sitting at the camp site's picnic table. Next to her sat her twin sister Sharon who was patting the fanny pack that had Jen's name on it. Everyone had their own individual 'Just In Case' pack for when they were hiking.

"I think," began Samuel still smiling, "I know someone who is going to be tending the fire for the rest of the trip."

"Oookaaay!" sighed Jen as she walked over to the table where her hiking pack was. She picked it up and strapped it about her waist. She turned to face her father. "Okay, Dad?"

Samuel turned and looked at her and warmly smiled at her. He then tapped the side of his head. "Just want you to use your brains, Sweetheart. You're a smart young lady. So use them. Always. No matter what you are doing. Always think ahead. Always think of what might happen. Then you can plan for it. Or change your plans if necessary." He gestured towards Ken. "That is why you - both of you - and everyone else that goes hiking takes their 'what if pack'."

Samuel paused as he looked over at Jen. "Okay, Jen? So that if something happens, you are prepared to handle it."

"Okay, Dad," replied Jen. "I understand. Think ahead."

"Yes," stated Samuel.

"With planning," stated Karen, "you will already have an idea on what to do if something unplanned comes up."

"Why do you think we always have drills at the Fire Department?" asked Samuel.

"And we always have safety drills at the hospital," added Sharon.

Robert added, "For training and gaining experience. Learning to deal with the unexpected."

"Now go and enjoy your hike - and be careful," said Samuel.

"Okay, Dad. And thanks," said Jen with a smile as she walked towards where Ken was waiting.

"Ken, what's your destination?" asked Robert, his father.

"The big stand of pine by the end of the lake, Dad," replied Ken. "Should take about an hour or so to get there."

"Don't go any further," stated Robert. " And be back before it starts getting dark."

"There and back," stated Ken. "I do not want to miss dinner."

Sharon chuckled with a shake of her head. "Like that would ever happen."

"Rule Four," stated Karen. "Keep hydrated." Karen pointed at the end of the table. "Take the canteens."

Ken stepped over to the table and picked up two of the four canteens and walked over to Jen handing her one.

"Jen," stated Samuel, "why do we ask where you are going?"

"Hiking Rule Five. So if we do not come back on time you know where to start looking," replied Jen.

"Okay. Go!" Samuel smiled. "Jen, Enjoy your hike."

Karen added: "Be careful you two."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Jen and Ken left their camp site and followed the clearly marked trail that lead them to the near by lake. It was not a hard hike. The quiet of the woods was relaxing as they made a good pace along the path. The trail was easy to follow and it was an easy hike with much of the trail on level ground. And it was just about three miles to the lake from the campsite.

The two cousins filled the time by chatting about school. Up coming activities and who of their friends was dating who. And of course there was some talk about the latest world news. And local events.

The weather was good and the forest was quiet and it only took them a little over an hour and a half of walking at a steady, easy pace to reach the thick stand of pine trees.

Near the large stand of tall, old pine trees was the end of a long and narrow lake. It was quiet and so peaceful standing there. And the scent of the old pine filled the air. Where they had stopped the trail they were following split breaking into three different paths. One went to the south side of the lake, the second trail went along the north side, with the last one leading back the way they had come.

"It's so quite here," stated Jen.

"And smell the pine," stated Ken. "I love that smell." Softer he added, "And the silence."

They both stood there at the edge of the lake listening to the silence and enjoying the moment.

"Thanks for making the hike with me," stated Jen.

"Any time." Ken reached over and gave her shoulder a gentle push. "Besides, who else would ever want to go hiking with me?"

A slow smile grew upon Jennifer's lips. "Tammy Gray for one," supplied Jen.

"Tammy!" stated Ken with a snort. "You're joking! She's one of the Football Team's Cheerleaders. Why would she ever want to go hiking with me? Never mind going on a date? Well - " Ken paused a moment as he shook his head slowly. "She will not even sit at the same table with me at lunch." Ken continued to look out across the quiet lake. He took a deep breath and blew it out.

"Ken," said Jen softly, "talk to her."

He looked at Jen then shook his head again. "Besides - ," he continued, "she can have her pick of anyone in school. Anyways - half of the football team is just drooling over her."

"And how would you know what or who the football team drools over?" asked Jen. "And only half?" she chuckled. "She is gorgeous! Wish I had her looks." Jen then poked his arm. "And how do you know Tammy would not go out with you? Have you asked her?"

"No." answered Ken. "Why waste my time? Or be ridiculed by her and her friends. And then laughed at by the guys."

"Ken," said Jen, "she's asked me about you a couple of times. She interested. Otherwise why would she ask?"

"Really," stated Ken. "Tammy - asking about me?"

"Yes. Really!"

Ken snorted shaking his head. "Sooo. Three members of the football team are in my history class. And they sit right behind me. All they do is talk about their dates and what they do when they get a girl alone. And Tammy's name has come up a couple of tines. And they have talked about what they want to do to her." Ken turned to look at his cousin. "Jen," he began shaking his head, "don't ever go out on a date with any of them."

"Why?" demanded Jen. "They're cute and hunky."

Ken shook his head. "Jen - all they want is to get into your pants."

"Ken!!"

"Yeah!" replied Ken. "All they do is trash talk about every girl they date. And the ones they want to date." He shook his head. "They do their best to ruin the reputation of any girl that refuses them. That seems to be part of their team play book."

Jen slowly nodded. "I've heard the rumors."

"That's one of the reasons I want nothing to do with either the football team or basketball," stated Ken. He shook his head. "I am not going to waste my time on school sports. Besides, I have enough of a challenge with Karate."

"They are more an likely just making up stories to impress each other," stated Jen. "Just being stupid jocks."

"And you," stated Ken, "want to date a 'stupid jock' who acts like that! And with nothing but hormones between their ears," stated Ken.

Jen chuckled. "That - could be a bit of a problem."

"A bit of a problem?" questioned Ken. "What about Joann Cummings? She certainly has a problem. Three months pregnant! And rumor has it that it was Pete Anderson."

Jen's smile faded and she just shook her head as she looked out across the lake.

"But - She's lucky," added Ken.

"She's lucky!?" questioned Jen as she looked at Ken. "She's pregnant!"

"Yeah, but her parents are taking care of her," replied Ken. "A couple of weeks ago we had lunch together."

"That's right! You dated her a couple of times."

Ken nodded. "Then Pete Anderson on the Football Team asked her out." Ken took a deep breath and blew it out. He shook his head. "After that the word went around that she was quote - his property - unquote."

Jen shook her head. "I've heard that said about other girls." Jen looked at Ken. "And any guy that thinks about dating one of the - property girls - gets a hard lesson from some of the team."

"And Joann's parents could have kicked her out to the street," stated Ken.

"Yeah!" sighed Jen shaking her head as she looked back at the lake.

"Right," stated Ken a bit bitterly. "I know most of the girls in school think the football and basketball team members are cute and handsome. A lot of the guys think they're some type of hero. And of course the school declares that they are quote - big home town heroes - unquote because the team made State Champs last year. And everyone treats them like they are someone famous or some type of celebrity or some how important." He shook his head. "They are hardly heroes. More like - dirty gutter rats."

He took a deep breath and sighed. "But I would not want to have to trust them to behave. They only date a girl for one reason. And its not like they actually care about who their dating. And they do not treat a girl like they should." He shook his head. "Not when they openly brag about getting into their pants."

"Ken, I know!" stated Jen. "In gym the girls do a lot of locker room talking."

"They do!?"

Jen punched his shoulder.

"Ouch!"

"Course they do!" stated Jen. "Just like you guys do in your locker room. And they talk a lot about what boy is better."

"They do!?" questioned Ken.

Jen punched his shoulder again.

"Ouch!" exclaimed Ken. "Well - I have nothing to say to those jerks in the locker room." I mind my own business."

Beside Ken Jen looked back out at the lake.

Ken took a deep breath and looked back out across the lake. "Jen,"said Ken softly. "You're better than that. You deserve the best that life has to offer."

"You're just saying that cause you're my cousin," said Jen.

"No!" stated Ken softly as he continued to look out at the lake. "I'm not." He looked over at her. "You might be my cousin - but - Jen, you are one of the best people I know. - Except maybe our parents." He took a deep breath and sighed as he looked back out across the lake again. "They are not good enough for you."

Jen leaned against Ken. "Thanks for thinking so." She too took a deep breath and blew it out. "Ken, I hope that someday, when I'm ready, I will meet someone who is a lot like you."

Ken put his left arm around her and hugged her to him. "Good luck with that." He snorted. "I think they broke the mold when they made us. Considering how some of the guys at school act and behave."

"The girls too." Jen chuckled. "Could you just see a bunch of us running around loose on the planet."

Ken snorted. "I can see the headlines: 'Attack of the Conners."

"No! Better!" she paused then declared, "Election Results are in - The Conners take Washington," stated Jen.

Ken moved to stand in front of Jen then bowed to her. "Madam President, your limo is ready to take you to the White House," stated Ken.

Jen chuckled. "Will you join me - Mr. Vice-President?"

Ken asked surprised, "Would you want me as your Vice-President?"

The smile on Jen's face faded. "Ken, you are one of the few people that I know that I can trust completely. Someone who has never lied to me. Never tried to take advantage of me. And has always been there when I needed help." She looked up at Ken for a moment. "When I am with you I feel safe." She shook her head slightly. "Not just think it! But - deep down - I know I am safe. Always have." She shook her head again as she looked across the lake. "I do not know what it is - but I feel - complete. Whole some how. Whenever I am with you."

"I know, Jen," stated Ken. "I feel the same way."

She smiled. "It might be because we were born so close together date wise," suggested Jen. She chuckled. "And we have twin sisters for Moms and Brothers for Dads." She suddenly snorted. "Talk about a close knit gene pool." Jen gave him a smile then looked at her watch. "Should we take a break then head back?"

"Or we could just head back?" added Ken. "Take it slow and easy. Not take a chance and let our legs cramp up."

"Augh. I hate leg cramps," stated Jen. "Let's head back."

They turned from the lake and walked back to the path heading back to their camp.

Jen suddenly turned to face Ken. And she stopped in front of him causing Ken to stop quick so he would not bump into her.

She looked up at him for a long moment. Her eyes looking directly into his.

She took a deep breath and blew it out. Jen then leaned up on her toes and reached up with her hands and held his face. Still looking into his eyes. Then she leaned closer and closed her eyes and their lips touched.

Jen gave Ken a kiss on his lips. She put a little pressure on his lips and just held him.

The kiss was not really a long one. It only lasted but a few moments. But for both Jen and Ken those few, brief moments lingered on for a very, very long time.

Then Jen released Ken's face and leaned back down from him. She dropped her hands as she looked up at him intently for a few even longer moments. She took a deep breath and blew it out. A slight smile came to her lips. "You're the best!"

Then with a big smile she suddenly tapped his chest. "Tag! You're it!" She then turned and took off running back the way they had come. She yelled out as she ran. "You can't catch me!"

"Jen!" yelled Ken. "You sneak." He shook his head as she dashed away. Still in a state of surprised shock at her sudden kiss. To him it had been a rather long, slow, lingering kiss. They had kissed each other on the cheek often on birthdays and holidays before. But never a real kiss. And this was the first time he had actually kissed Jen. And - she had kissed him! And - she held his face and kissed him!

He took a deep breath and blew it out. "Wow!"

He closed his eyes. "No! I can't think like that." Opening his eyes he watched Jen running down the trail.

He took another deep breath and slowly exhaled as he watched Jen with his thoughts in a whirl.

Ken started trotting after her. "Jen! Wait!" He called out. He wanted to talk to her. They had to talk.

Jen kept up her faster pace. "Catch me if you can."

He kept a slow pace thinking that she would stop when she realized he was not actually chasing after her. Ken watched as she passed beneath a tall, old pine tree when she suddenly half stumbled.

Still trotting after her he watched as Jen attempted to right herself then she stumbled again and this time fell and rolled over a couple of times. Then Jen laid still.

"Jen!" he yelled. "I'm coming!" Ken picked up speed when he realized that Jen was just laying there. She was not making any attempt to get up.

Fear filled his mind as he ran faster towards her. "Jen!!"

She raised her right arm and waved her hand. "I'm - okay!"

He slowed his pace then stopped next to her and knelt down beside her. "Are you okay?"

She shook her head. "Had the breath knocked out of me." She looked up at him. "Give me a couple of minutes."

"You're bleeding!" stated Ken.

"Where?" asked Jen.

"Your right knee," Ken stated as he took off his 'Just In Case' Pack. "It looks like its just a scrape." He shook his head.

"How bad?" asked Jen.

"It's bleeding some. But not much," he replied as he quickly pulled out a plastic bag with bandages packed in it. He looked at her. "Can you wiggle your toes?"

"Ouch!" exclaimed Jen.

"What!?" asked Ken.

"My right ankle!" stated Jen. "Ahhh!! It hurts."

Ken moved down by her feet. "Let me check."

Jen began to sit up. "Ouch!"

"Sorry, Jen," stated Ken.

"No!" muttered Jen. "It's my left ankle."

"You hurt both ankles?!" questioned Ken surprised. He shook his head. "You might have twisted them."

"Damn it!" muttered Jen as she laid back down. "I can't believe I tripped over a bunch of stupid pine cones."

Shaking his head, Ken snickered. "Both ankles. This - I will have to remember."

Jen frowned and stuck her tongue out him as she looked up at him. "You can't tell anyone."

"That you twisted your ankles?"

"That I tripped over pine cones!" stated Jen. "How embarrassing!"

"No one would believe that." Ken sat back and looked at her still chuckling. "Let me take care of your knee first. Then worry about your ankles."

"It does not look bad," stated Ken as he quickly cleaned and dressed the scrapes on her knee. "Nothing deep. Just a few scrapes."

"Will I have a scar?" asked Jen.

Ken looked at her as he cocked his head to the side. "Like I'm a doctor, Jen. I took the same First Aid classes you did."

"Yeah," agreed Jen. "First Aid and CPR."

"Okay," stated Ken, "try flexing your ankles."

Jen slowly flexed first her left ankle and winced in pain. Then her right ankle. She winced again. "They both hurt - a lot."

"Jen," began Ken. "I can't pick you up from the ground. I'll drop you for sure."

"You could go get help and come back," suggested Jen.

"And be gone for three hours! Or longer!" stated Ken. "I don't think so!"

"I'll be fine," declared Jen.

Rugrat60
Rugrat60
106 Followers
12