The Cop

Story Info
First his wife cheats and then his daughter.
8k words
4.13
167.6k
78
114
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
thecelt
thecelt
2,511 Followers

"Come on partner. We got a call to cover a homicide." That was from my partner, June Eastman, a tough, black 42-year-old woman who is one hell of a detective. She and I had been together for the past two years and we worked well together. I liked her caustic sense of humor and she liked my willingness to listen to her bitch. We were assigned to homicide and were on standby.

My name is Salvatore Giuliano, but my friends call me Sallie. I have been a cop for 18 years and a detective for the past 5 years. I liked detective better. The work was more interesting and I was freer to go places and do things without a specific beat to cover. I was a widower and lived with my daughter and her husband in a small house in the suburbs of Richmond, Va. I moved in at the request of Ted, my son in law because he traveled quite a bit and wanted someone to be around for Rose, my daughter. I liked living with them will enough but would have been happier in my own place.

Rose and Ted have been married for just over 3 years and they are trying to conceive a child. This made for some uncomfortable evenings for me but I ignored it because I had been there and done that. I know Ted was probably enjoying the attempt.

"I'm coming, I'm coming." I got up, got my weapon and put it into my shoulder holster and grabbed a two-way from the rack. I followed her down to the garage where we got our car and headed out. The call came from one of the seedier sections of downtown Richmond and we knew what we were in for. All part of the job.

About an hour later, we had finished the canvas of the area with nothing of any interest found. We never had anything of interest, since most of the people were 'just minding my own business'. I decided we might as well head back since the coroner had already taken the body and the crime scene investigators were almost finished. We left word to them to get everything over to us ASAP.

June was driving and I asked her to swing by my place so that I could pick up a notebook that had some information that I wanted to include in a report that I was finishing back at the precinct. She did her usual bitching but made the turn that took us to my area. This was typical and I relaxed listening to her usual bull. She kept up the chatter till she pulled in my drive.

"Whose car is that? Is your daughter at home this time of day?" I looked at the car and the plates but didn't recognize either.

"Don't know but she may be home because of a sick day or something. Funny, she didn't mention anything. I'll be right back." With that I got out and went around to the back door that was usually unlocked. I assumed the front door was locked and I didn't have the garage door opener I normally used coming home.

I went in the back door and stopped, listening for talking coming from the living room or kitchen. Nothing. Maybe someone had stopped and they left together in Rose's car. I proceeded down the hall to my bedroom to get the notebook. As I did, I heard sounds coming from Rose and Ted's bedroom. I thought maybe Rose was on the phone and talking to someone. I went down the hall and looked in.

The sight that greeted me caused me to backtrack out of the room, stumbling backwards until I crashed into the wall behind me. I stopped to get my bearings and stumbled back the way I had come. I was having trouble dealing with the shock and my heart was racing and my breathing was labored. I thought I was having a heart attack. I made it out of the confining hallway and into the open living room. There, I fell to my knees and vomited all over the carpet. I wiped my mouth and got myself back to my feet. I looked back the way that I had come to see Rose, her eyes wide and her mouth working reaching out to me with one hand while the other held a towel to her nakedness.

"Dad! Please don't leave! Let me talk to you. You need to listen and let me explain!" She was moving toward me while she pleaded with me. I couldn't take it. I ran to the front door and wrenched it open. I made it down the steps and to the car.

"Move! Get me the hell out of here, now!" I slammed the door shut and willed June to make the car move faster. I wanted out of there before I had to look at my daughter again. I couldn't look at her. I may not ever look at her again.

June backed out of the drive using the maneuver taught to us in academy: she twisted the wheel as she left the driveway and shifted into drive as she spun around facing the open street. Well done! I never looked back.

June said nothing as she drove us back to the precinct. She knew what happened as soon as she saw me come out of the house. I think she later said that Rose had appeared in the doorway with the towel still around her. Since the car didn't belong to Rose or to me, she put two and two together pretty easily.

June finished up the report on the homicide we were attending and made all the right noises to the bosses and we checked out for 'personal time'. June made it clear that we were taking the time and 'no f-in bosses had better nib their white noses where they don't belong'. God bless her.

We went to Donavan's, a bar and grill that we both used a lot and she got us a booth in the back. She got a couple of beers and settled down for an 'intervention' as she called it. She just waited for me to talk. I began to talk about Laci.

"I never told you the story of my wife Laci and me. You know she died but you didn't know that we were separated when she did. We had been separated for just over 2 months when she was diagnosed with cancer. By the time they found it she was only given 6 months to live." I stopped for a minute. I never told anyone this story before. Only Rose and I knew about what happened and we never discussed it even between ourselves. It wasn't a happy story. It also explained why I didn't care much about anything or anyone too much. The pain from that time had never completely disappeared.

"We were separated because I came home one afternoon early so damned sick. At the time I was a beat cop and I had one hell of a cold and a headache that was enough to make me blind and stupid. One of the guys offered to cover for me and I gladly accepted."

"When I came home, I saw my friend's car in the driveway and wondered why he was there. I wondered if something was wrong. Jim and I had been friends forever. We went through grade school and high school together and remained friends ever since. I went in to see what was up." I had to stop again while I took a healthy swig of my beer. I signaled the waitress for another round.

"When I got in the house, I saw no one in the downstairs so I went up the steps looking for Jim or my wife. I found them both together on the bed, him fucking the shit out of her and her yelling for him to put it to her. I'll never forget the picture of his hairy ass pounding into her while she had her legs wrapped around his ass and her arms around his back." I just stared at the wall until I could get my breathing back under control. Even after 11 years, I still almost lost it when I remembered.

"I won't bore you with a lot of details. Just that I filed for separation the next day and the lawyers told me I needed to stay separated for 90 days before the divorce could be filed. I never talked to her about it and I told some friends to tell Jim to stay the hell out of my way or I would kill him. I think he moved away or something since I never saw him again."

"Laci tried to get me to talk to her but I refused. I told her the last time I saw her that I didn't want to hear any of her reasons or excuses or anything else. I told her that I could never forgive her and that I wanted out of our marriage. She continued to try to talk to me but I stayed as far away from her as I could. Rose was only 14 at the time but I even avoided her. Maybe that was wrong, but I didn't care."

"About two months into our separation, my attorney told me that Laci was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and the docs only gave her 6 months to live. He wanted to know if I still wanted to proceed with the divorce and I told him to let things go as they were. There was no need to go ahead with the divorce since she would not live to see the end of it anyway."

"God, Sallie, I didn't know any of this. No wonder today almost killed you. To see this with your daughter after seeing it with your wife! My God, you poor man." She looked at me with pity in her eyes.

"I never visited her in the hospital and never went to see my daughter during the time she was dying. Some people think that was cruel and maybe it was. But I couldn't bring myself to watch her die. I still loved her with all my heart and it was killing me to know that she was dying, but I still couldn't tell her what she wanted to hear."

"The hospital called one afternoon and said that Laci had only hours to live and that she wanted to see me. I couldn't think of any reason to refuse so I agreed to see her. They urged me to come as soon as I could. I got there about an hour later. I went to her room and she was lying in bed, tubes and wires all over with Rose holding her hand."

"I went to her side and pulled up a chair. She smiled a sad smile at me and reached for my hand. I let her take it. She asked Rose to give us some time alone. Rose left and Laci began to talk."

"She told me that she and Jim had only been together about 4 times over a period of 5 years, and only after I made detective. It was only after something happened to make her or him vulnerable. She said that they originally became close because they both loved me and that later their shared love became something more. She said that both of them felt guilty every time they got together and that it was sometimes more that a year between times because of that. Eventually, I would be so deeply immersed in a case or he would have had something go wrong in his life and they finally got together. She said the time I found them together was after I had been working on a case that really made me withdrawn and depressed. I hadn't touched her for almost a month. Jim was there that day and it just happened. I listened but didn't feel much either way. It had been too much for me to accept."

"I just let her talk without interrupting and she finally finished. She said that she was glad I had let her say what she needed to say. She said that she had two requests to make of me and asked me if I would hear her out. I said I would." Once more with the beer. The hard part was coming.

"The first thing she said was 'Promise me that you will take care of Rose and make sure that she gets to college.' I agreed and said that I would give her everything I could and make sure that she got to college if that's what she wanted."

"The second thing she said was 'Please, can you forgive me for what I did to you and to our marriage?' I told her no. She just looked at me and closed her eyes. She died hours later."

"Rose didn't know what her mother and I talked about that day. She was not in the room so she didn't hear what her mother had asked me. She never asked me what we had talked about and I never told her what Laci had asked me."

"How did you feel saying no and then watching her die? Was it bad for you and did you ever wish you had said something else?" June still felt bad for me. My answer would probably take care of that.

"No, I never did and I felt nothing. I still don't. The only regret I have is not having killed that son of a bitch friend of mine. I often think of trying to find him and killing him even now." That made me think of something else.

"Did you get the license number of that car in my drive? I forgot to even look at the car much less the plate?"

"Of course I did, partner. Since when do I not run a strange plate when we see one? It belongs to a guy named Preston Martin, lives in St. Ives Place on Parker Drive. Want to pay him a visit?" I knew that she wanted to see who the shithead was. Maybe I did too, but not right now.

I had to decide what to do. Did I go back to the house and act as if nothing had happened? What about Ted. Should I tell him what I saw? I knew that Rose would not let me alone. She would have to tell me why it wasn't important, why it wasn't what I thought it was, that it was the first time and all the other bullshit. I hadn't wanted to hear it from Laci and I didn't want to hear it from her.

"I think I'll go home and face the music. I don't know how I am going to handle this but for tonight, I just want to go to bed and sleep. Ted will be home so Rose will not be able to get to me so easy. I'll just make it clear to her to let me be."

I had June drop me at the precinct to get my car and drove home. It wasn't going to be my home much longer, that's for sure. I would move out as soon as I found a place to live. I told June that I'd start tomorrow looking. She and I could cover a lot of territory during the day.

I went in the front door as usual and sure enough, there was Rose setting in the living room waiting for me. I looked at her and tried to make it clear without words that I wasn't in the mood. Didn't work.

"Dad, you have to talk to me, right now. Ted is in the garage and he doesn't need to hear this from you. You don't know what is going on and you will just make things bad between Ted and I. I'm sorry you had to see that and I never meant for it to happen. Will you please just listen?" She got up while she was talking and came to me and took my hand in hers.

"No, I will not listen to you and no I will not talk to Ted. That is between you and him just as it was between your mother and I. I never forgave your mother and I will not forgive you. I will be moving out as soon as I find someplace to live. Either way, I'll get my things tomorrow while you are at work. Between now and then, just leave me alone." I had not really let myself get angry but now I was. Why in the hell do these women think that they can just fuck whoever they want and we dumb males have to 'understand'?"

"Please Dad, what will Ted think? If you leave, you will have to tell him why. What can you say to him that will be acceptable? Why can't you listen to me? Why won't you let me explain?" She was beginning to panic, thinking that I would ruin her perfect life. A good husband and a fuck buddy on the side.

"What I saw today brought back what happened with your mother. She almost killed me with her cheating. The pain is still with me today and every day of my life. Why would you do the same thing? You don't love Ted: cut him loose and spare him this pain. If you do love him, why would you cheat? What you are doing is betraying him and your marriage. There is no acceptable reason for doing it and no excuse that means a damn." I never thought she was stupid but this was proof that I was wrong.

"But you forgave mom. You didn't divorce her and you were with her at the end. I know you loved her even after what she did."

I paused for a minute. Maybe it was time.

"I made up my mind 11 years ago that I wouldn't tell you what your mom and I talked about just before she died but you made me change my mind. I'm going to tell you the last thing your mother and I said to each other just before she died. She asked me to forgive her for what she did to our marriage and to me. I told her I wouldn't. That was the last thing I said to her: I told her No! She died soon after that. You are my daughter, the daughter I loved and to whom I gave the best I had to give. This is what you turned out to be: a cheating slut, just like her!"

She began to cry and her shoulders shook with her grief. Grief my ass: she was just afraid that she was going to be in trouble now that she had been caught. A thought occurred to me.

"Who the hell is Preston Martin that lives on Parker Drive? What did he do to get a piece of you?"

"He's just someone I work with. How did you know who he was? Did you check up on him? He's nobody and you leave him alone! This is my fault, not his."

"I'll do what the hell I choose. You have no right to question what I do. You lost that right today. You worry about your husband if you still give a shit about him. He is a good man and he deserves a whole lot better than you."

With that, I turned and went to my room and shut the door. I also locked it, the first time I ever did that. I would just stay here tonight and leave before they were awake tomorrow. I ignored the knock on my door a few minutes later and just told her to go away and leave me alone. She finally gave up and left. I packed my clothes, read for an hour or so and went to bed. Surprisingly, I slept.

I was up and gone by 6 the next morning. Neither one of them was up so I got away clean. I went to a diner for breakfast and coffee and picked up a paper to look for rentals. I found a couple that looked promising. I used my cell to make a couple of calls and had two lined up to look at this morning. I'd get Ruth to go with me. We would have time. I felt better having something to do that would make a difference. At least to me.

By 10:30 that morning I had a place to live. Being a cop made a big difference; nobody bothered to check references and they all seemed happy to have a cop on site. I guess they knew where I could be found if I reneged on the rent. I went by the house and no one was home so I got most of my things and packed the rest in boxes to be picked up later. By the time Rose got home, I was gone.

Ruth and I went about our business and we got some breaks on the case we were working and we made a collar that afternoon. From here on, it was just hard work to pin everything down. We went to it and time passed quickly. By quitting time, we had accomplished a lot and we went out to celebrate. I bought this time and we stayed till almost closing time. Ruth was fun and single so she had no one to answer to. She often left me for some guy she met but not tonight. We parted and I went to my new apartment.

Rose made several attempts to contact me over the next two weeks but I avoided her without too much trouble. I had a lot of friends and they covered for me without any questions. I just let it be known that I was on the outs with my family and would rather be left alone. That's all it took. It was made easier since she didn't have my new number and I had it unlisted. I kept my cell on but didn't take her calls.

It was probably about 6 weeks later that Ted came to the precinct to meet me and ask if he could talk to me. I told him sure and to meet me after shift at Donovan's, the bar and grill I liked. He agreed and I worked till quitting time. I told Ruth that I was going to meet with my son in law and I would see her tomorrow. She looked at me as if to ask if I was OK with that and I just shrugged.

It was about 6:30 when Ted came in. He joined me and I ordered him a beer. Ted wasn't much of a drinker but he did like a cold beer now and then. Ted was an estimator for a contractor who worked on large projects, several out of the country. That is why Ted had to travel so much. Usually, it was only a day or two at a time, but it could be fairly often.

"Can I ask why you moved out, Pop? Rose wouldn't tell me and I have no clue. Did I do something wrong to make you go?" He obviously had no idea. I was not surprised that Rose never told him what was up.

"I won't tell you why I left except to say that it was on Rose and not on you. I have no beef with you." I wasn't going to lie to him but the truth was up to Rose.

"She is beside herself and cries all of the time. I can't make things better if I don't know what is wrong. She won't talk to me and she says you wouldn't tell her why you left."

"Well, I'll tell you this much. She is lying through her teeth. She knows exactly why I left and I told her as much the same day. You were home but in the garage so she and I had it out then." Now I was getting mad. She could cheat on her husband and that was between her and him, but to lie to him about me made me mad as hell. I was tempted to tell him the truth but decided it was not my business.

thecelt
thecelt
2,511 Followers
12