The Council Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Set the alarm the next time," he grumbled softly dropping another quick kiss on her lips. "So we have more time."

She turned her back to him and quickly washed herself, sliding around him so he could do the same as she stepped out and dried herself. She frowned and look at him over her shoulder. "Wait a minute, I did set the alarm last night," she said indignantly.

He shot her an unrepentant grin. "So that was what that noise was at six this morning?" he asked innocently, laughing hard when she flipped the towel at him.

"Asshole," she growled as she walked out of the bathroom, struggling to keep a smile off her face.

"I believe we've already established that, Rose," he called after her retreating back, his laughter following her into the bedroom.

Loretta was still trying not to laugh as she dressed quickly and dug into her purse for a comb. She quickly brushed her wet locks and frowned in the closet mirror. She really did need to get her hair cut. It was such a pain in the ass to have to worry about grooming it. She didn't have time to dry it and it would be a mess when it dried naturally.

Andrei appeared behind her, a towel wrapped around his waist, his fingers running slowly through her wet hair. He smiled at her in the mirror. "I love your hair," he said quietly, a glint in his eyes as he watched hers narrow slightly.

Was he able to read her mind? Loretta squinted at his reflection turning slowly to look at him in the flesh. Did he know what she had just been thinking or was her irritation with her hair just written across her face?

His comment didn't appear to be as innocent as he tried to make it. Was he trying to influence her decision about cutting her hair? Because he could piss off if he thought he was going to try any of that macho crap on her! "I'm getting it cut," she said brusquely. "It's a pain to look after."

His smile widened slightly and he leaned down and brushed his lips lightly over hers. "That's a pity," he murmured softly." But it's your hair."

He made a show of running a hand through his own long brown locks. "You know, you might have a point there, Loretta. It's been a long time since I've worn my hair short. I quite fancy a change myself."

She gaped at him as he turned and opened the closet door and began pulling out clothes. Andrei cutting his hair? She loved his hair. The way it flowed down his back as he moved was like watching liquid silk move. It was sacrilege for him to even consider doing so.

It took her ten seconds after the thoughts whirled through her head to see just what he was doing and she snorted in annoyance and elbowed him in the ribs. He just laughed and dropped his towel, quickly pulling on a pair of jeans and a dark blue silk shirt.

"Asshole," she grumbled again, grabbing her purse and jacket and turning to head out the room. She couldn't believe he was actually going to blackmail her into not cutting her hair. It didn't matter that he hadn't actually said the words she knew what his little act was all about.

He was blocking her path instantly, using his supernatural speed to head her off. "But I'm your asshole," he grinned wrapping his arms around her and giving her a kiss so devastating she was ready to forget all about the Beta meeting and climb back into bed with him.

"Yes, you are," she sighed with a smile tugging at her lips. "I'll call you later, Andrei."

He laughed as his wolf left still annoyed with him. He liked irritating her but he liked loving her sexy body even more. He really shouldn't have turned the alarm off this morning but it had been almost four when she'd finally fallen asleep. He knew she needed more than two hours sleep a night. He would have to start curtailing himself, letting her get more rest. He could survive on practically no sleep if he had to but his wolf couldn't.

He finished dressing and grabbed his car keys and jacket. He'd let her have an early night tonight. Maybe he would only keep her awake until two in the morning. Smiling he headed out the bedroom allowing himself a moment more to relax before he had to face the rest of the Council and work out what Daniel was plotting behind his back today.

Loretta managed to get to the meeting on time but only because she abandoned her car in a quiet spot and shifted to wolf form after calling one of the other pack members and asking them to come pick up the car and telling them where she'd left the keys.

It was quicker to run through the trees to the compound and cut a good fifteen minutes off her journey time. She even had time to go to her self contained apartment in one of the communal cabins and pull on a pair of sweats and a tank top. She slipped her feet into a pair of low sandals and tied her hair in a ponytail, and then she headed over to the Alpha's house.

The upcoming meeting was not going to be pretty but at least it wasn't going to be as hard on her as it was Cedar. Jared had let them know in advance that with there now being three matings with the vampires it was time to at least let the other Betas know if not the whole pack. That meant Rafe would be around as would Aaron.

She smiled as she thought of the two senior Betas. She'd had a brief moment with Rafe a few years ago before he met Lacey. It had been nothing serious but it had been fun. Slightly ironically, Cedar too had had a brief moment with Rafe; they had even been exclusive for a couple of months before they parted company but remained close friends.

The thing about Rafe was he had a strong sense of responsibility and felt he had to look out for his friends. And he classed both Cedar and herself as being two of his closest friends after Aaron. Also, he was Jared's adopted brother and the next in line to lead the Hanlon pack should Jared decide to step down without a mature son to take over.

He was going to be really upset when he heard about the matings. Not only because he would be concerned about them being hurt but also because he would instantly know how dangerous it could be for the rest of the pack. She hoped he would be able understand their situation. He'd had a similar issue claiming Lacey as his mate which had led to Graves attacking the compound the year before.

Aaron was a whole other ballgame. He was Cedar's youngest brother but had been a Beta for over a century. Before Rafe had joined the pack he had been Jared's second in command though he had relinquished that role to his best friend with no quibble at all. He was a lovable rascal, always smiling and cracking jokes but lethal when his pack was threatened.

He had almost died trying to protect Rafe's mate Lacey the year before but had found his mate in Jen at the same time and recovered from his injuries. Jen was pregnant, almost five months gone and Aaron's protective instincts were at an all time high. Any threat to his mate and the pack would set him off. He'd be doubly as angry that his favourite sister was also at risk. Aaron and Cedar were so close it was hard to guess almost fifteen years separated them. Most people thought they were born at the same time they were so close.

No, this was not going to be a pretty meeting at all but there was nothing she could do but stand tall and take whatever was coming. She hadn't told Andrei of her fears about the meeting. He would only have become angry and decide he was tagging along. Then there really would have been a lot of crap to clean up. She rolled her eyes at the thought and headed into the meeting.

To be continued...