The Cowboy Way Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Frank was silent the entire time. He nodded, but mostly listened. In the end he sighed and looked outside the garage at the setting sun and the green lawn and flowerbeds.

Finally he said: "Seems to me you're looking for something, or someone."

Ryley nodded. "I am. The love of my life."

Frank merely nodded. Ryley had expected him to smirk. "And you think Mandy is the one?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"Well, she's-"

Ryley hung up after that. All of a sudden he wasn't sure why. It was like his mind and more importantly, his heart, could no longer give a good reason why he loved her or thought he did. But, what surprised him the most was that he wasn't that concerned with it anymore.

"I mean it was a hell of a thing, you saving her life like that," Frank said.

"Yeah," Ryley replied.

"But that doesn't mean she's the one. And it seems to me there's another good reason why she might not be the one."

Ryley looked at his father. "And what's that?"

Frank smiled and turned his gaze to the house. Ryley followed his father's eyes and saw his mother peeling apples in the kitchen window.

"You know the way you'll be able to tell the love of your life?"

"How?"

Frank smiled. "The way she looks at you. I can't describe it, but you'll feel it in her look and in the look you give her. You love her just the way she is and she loves you just the way you are. You grow together, but you love each other just the way you are. Do you understand?" Frank asked, looking back at Ryley.

Ryley smiled. "I think so."

So Ryley hadn't cared that Mandy didn't call him back until the next day. He was pleasant on the phone to her, like an old friend. She had sensed something was different, but Ryley could feel that there was, could feel it in his heart. He agreed to meet her in the parking lot of the racetrack at eight o'clock that night.

Unlike the first time he had been waiting for her in his trailer, this time Ryley was as calm as a summer breeze. He leaned against the Camaro with his arms folded and his Stetson resting on the hood of the car. His cool blue eyes stared at the outside of turn four while he reminisced.

The glare of headlights cutting across the steadily darkening parking lot broke the spell. He stood up as a stretch limo pulled up next to the Camaro and the back door opened. Mandy stepped onto the pavement and stretched. Ryley had forgotten how tall she was.

She wore a pair of low cut jeans and a T-shirt, both of which flattered her curves. Ryley knew she had cut her hair short and died it, but seeing it in person was a shock, albeit a pleasant one. All in all she looked more mature, more sure of herself.

"Hey," she said, stepping closer.

He smiled. "Hey, it's been awhile."

She nodded and stepped right up to him, placing her hand on his chest. Their lips touched and Mandy kissed him with a hunger. Ryley returned her kiss, matching her desire. But as they kissed, Ryley realized that his desire was a farce. Mandy must have realized something similar because she broke the kiss, stepping back.

Ryley looked away from her hazel eyes, but she gently touched his chin, turning his face back to hers. She looked deep into his eyes, studying them. After a moment she lowered her hand and sighed, giving him a sad smile.

"I'm sorry, Mandy," he replied.

She lowered her eyes and nodded. "So am I. But it was inevitable, wasn't it?"

"I guess."

Mandy shrugged. "Well, maybe we both just grew up a little bit."

Ryley nodded. "Yeah, you're probably right. I just want you to know that I didn't mean for it to turn out this way."

She shook her head. "I know you didn't. Neither did I, it just did."

Ryley stepped forward and hugged her, feeling her wrap her arms around him. She sighed and then released him, stepping back. They regarded each other for a moment then Mandy slid back into the limo.

"I guess this is goodbye," she said.

Ryley stepped forward, crouching outside the open door. "Yeah, I guess so."

Mandy smiled. "I'll never forget you."

"I won't forget you. We've got a lot of history together."

"We do."

"We'll see each other again," he said, knowing it wasn't true.

"Oh, yeah, definitely," Mandy replied, also knowing it was a lie.

It was the kind of thing you tell each other, because goodbyes are so hard, so final.

" Good luck with everything," Mandy said.

"You too," he replied. "But you're on a roll, you don't need luck."

She smiled. "We all need luck, Cowboy," she said, then closed the door.

The limo pulled away and just like that Mandy Moore was out of his life. Ryley watched the limo go with mixed emotions. The encounter had been brief, unexpected and yet it had been the end of the most promising relationship of his life. He couldn't believe it, he didn't know how to feel and yet he was relieved. He and Mandy were just too different. She deserved someone better.

In the end, Ryley turned back to the outside of turn four. He could almost hear the roar of the crowd, the sound of thirty-five thousand combined horsepower screaming around the track.

NOW

It was that sound that brought Ryley back to reality. He glanced over at the garage, which was situated next to the barn. The sound of his United States Marine Corps sponsored car's seven hundred and eighty horsepower engine bringing him out of the past and into the present. Looking towards the front porch he could see her standing there, shaking her head and covering her ears. She still couldn't handle the roar of those engines.

Ryley slid out of the saddle and handed Cheyenne's reins to one of his ranch hands. He walked across the yard and onto the porch. The sound of the car ceased abruptly, replaced by the sounds of the ranch hands working in the barn and the hollow sound of Ryley's footsteps on the wooden planks of the porch.

She turned and smiled up at him as he stopped next to her. Reaching out, he wrapped his arm around her waist pulling her back against him. She placed one hand over his and with the other reached back over her shoulder, gently touching his cheek. Ryley kissed her on the top of her head, smelling the pleasant apple aroma of the conditioner she used.

"I missed you this morning," she said.

"I'm sorry," he replied, leaning down to kiss her on the side of the neck. "I went for a ride."

She moaned as he kissed her earlobe, brushing against her earrings. Ryley wrapped both arms around her, his fingers brushing against the diamond ring on her left hand. He had been overcome with joy when she had said yes.

"I'm gonna go for a swim," she said, looking up at him with her crystal clear, sparkling eyes.

He smiled. "Yeah?"

She nodded. "Join me?"

He nodded. I'll be there in a few minutes."

"Okay," she replied with a smile.

Ryley watched her go, admiring her lithe figure. When she walked back inside he turned and glanced across the front yard, his gaze settling on the rear end of his Monte Carlo. An arrogant smile crossed his face as he thought of all the drivers who had to stare constantly at that view.

THEN

Not long after he and Mandy had said goodbye, things began to happen like a dream. It was probably a week later, while Ryley and his father were installing the Ram-Jet 502 in the GTO that his cell phone rang. He didn't recognize the number so he ignored the call, really being too busy to be bothered.

Later that night, after dinner and a shower, Ryley was sitting in the parking lot of the racetrack listening to the sound of a car enduring a test and tune session. He was pretty sure he knew who it was and was kind of hoping the two of them would bump into each other eventually. While he sat there he pulled out his cell phone and checked his voicemail.

He pressed the one key and listened to the message from earlier in the day. The voice rang a bell deep in his head and the name caused a smile to cross his face. Ryley had almost forgotten that night.

"Hey, Ryley, I would have called you sooner, but I've been so busy. It's Ashley. I was just hoping I could catch you so we could talk," she said, her voice pleasant, upbeat, but not overdone. "Just call me when you get a chance? I don't want to presume anything, but if you're available I'd like someone to talk to, someone I can trust and feel comfortable with, you know? Anyways. . . call me, okay?"

Ryley deleted the message and sat there for a moment, mulling it over in his head. Ashley Scott had been incredible the night they had spent together on the set of SWAT, but he hadn't really considered starting anything with her. Plus, she had been seeing Ashton Kutcher back then. Ashton, Ryley and the whole world knew, was now seeing Demi Moore. So it wouldn't hurt to call Ashley. There was no harm in having a friend. Christina Aguilera had shown him that. He dialed her number and waited.

"Hello?"

"Ashley, it's Ryley."

"Hey, Ryley, how are you?"

He smiled. "I'm good, actually. How about you? Busy?"

"Oh God," she groaned. "Like crazy. I've been going after a role in Blade 3 and they've got me running around like crazy. Plus, no one picked up Birds of Prey so I'm hanging in the wind right now. What have you been up to?"

"Actually, I'm in Charlotte visiting my parents."

Ashley paused. "And how is everything?" she asked, obviously recalling the little that Ryley had told her.

"The difference is night and day, Ash."

Ashley laughed.

"What's so funny?"

"You called me, Ash."

"Yeah, sorry."

"No, it's okay, I just didn't expect it."

Ryley smiled. Neither of them spoke for a few moments.

"So, Ryley," Ashley sighed. "Seeing anybody?"

"No, you?"

"Nah, me either."

There was another pause.

"So," they both said at once and then laughed.

"Go ahead," Ryley said.

"I was just thinking. . . you know, since you're not busy, that maybe we can get together?"

Ryley thought a moment.

"I mean if you are busy it's no big deal-"

"Oh no, it's not that. But, I mean as friends, or what?"

"Yeah, yeah, just friends. We haven't seen each other in awhile."

"Okay, definitely. Where are you?"

"New York, I can fly down and be there tomorrow afternoon."

Ryley smiled. "Okay, sounds good. I'll meet you there. Just call me tomorrow and let me know your arrival time and what gate."

"Yeah, sounds good. I'll call you tomorrow."

"All right, bye."

"Bye, Ryley."

Ryley hung up the phone and smiled. It would be nice to see Ashley again. He was sure the two of them would get hot and heavy, but beyond that there probably wouldn't be anything.

The roar of a highly tuned motor made him look up at the outside of turn four. He could see the cloud of dust, which was being dragged by the car, billowing over the wall. He smiled, picturing the Budweiser sponsored car roaring around the track while Junior listened to the music his crew was pumping through his headset. Ryley laughed as he recalled the hell that he and Dale Jr. used to raise together on the circuit, but that was ancient history.

Ryley slid into the driver's seat of the Camaro and started the engine. No, Dale probably hadn't thought of Ryley in years. They had been friends and rivals, now they were just ancient history.

The next day found Ryley under the GTO working on the final touches of the six speed Tremec transmission he had bought for the car. His father was at work for the day and his mother was in Raleigh for the weekend visiting friends. Ryley's dad would be driving out there after work, which left Ryley alone in the house for the weekend.

Just as Ryley finished plumbing the line for the hydraulic throw-out bearing on the clutch, his cell phone rang. He slid out from under the car and stood up, retrieving his phone from the workbench. It was Ashley.

"Hey," he said into the phone.

"Hey you," she replied.

Ryley could tell she was smiling, he could hear people in the background.

"Where are you?" he asked.

"At the airport. I'm about to get on the plane."

"Good. When do you arrive?"

Ashley sighed. "If we leave on time we'll be landing at three."

Ryley checked his watch. It was just about one o'clock.

"What gate?"

"Thirty-three."

"All right, I'll be there when you land."

" Okay, Ryley. See you in a little."

Ryley hung up the phone. He walked out of the garage and into the house. Ascending the stairs to the second floor he entered the bathroom and stripped. He took a long, hot shower, trying to wash the smell of grease from his body.

As he dried off in front of the mirror he looked up at his reflection. He paused and looked closer. There was something different in the face he saw there. After wrapping the towel around his waist he reached up and rubbed his palm across his chin, through his goatee.

But it wasn't his goatee it was something in his eyes. He couldn't explain it. However, he knew there was something there, something that hadn't been there in a long time. Then, on a whim, he took out a bottle of shaving cream and his razor. Without thinking twice, he splashed hot water on his face, rubbed shaving cream on and went to town.

After washing his face of any leftover shaving cream he looked at his reflection again. It had been years since he had been clean shaven and the shock of seeing himself without the goatee was enough to evoke a broad smile. He rubbed his chin again, feeling the smooth skin. There was definitely something different, he couldn't just see it he could feel it.

A little over an hour later he was standing in the waiting area outside Ashley's gate, looking out at the hustle and bustle of the ground crews. There were probably two dozen people lounging around him, but thankfully none of them had noticed him. He just wasn't in the mood to deal with anyone at that moment. All his attention was now focused on the plane that was taxiing up to the gate.

He turned and walked a short distance away and leaned against a support column where he could see everyone disembarking from the plane as they entered the terminal. The door opened and in a few moments people began to stream into the waiting area to greet the people waiting for them. Ryley kept his eyes open for Ashley and tried to gauge how he might react when he saw her.

When he saw her he took a moment to let his eyes sweep over her form. She was wearing a pair of dark green cargo pants that sat low on her hips and gave just an idea of her shapely legs. A baby blue midriff top hugged her upper body, leaving her tan, flat stomach, with its silver belly button ring, exposed. Her dark hair hung just past her jaw line and slightly obscured one side of her face, giving her a mischievous look.

She tossed her head, flipping her hair out of the way and looked around, glancing at him for a moment and then beyond him. Ryley stepped forward and she did a double take. A slow smile spread across her face as she recognized him and she set down the backpack that had been slung over her shoulder.

Ryley stopped about a foot away from her and smiled, letting his eyes travel from hers, down her body to the pair of sneakers that were poking beyond the ragged hem of her pants. Looking back into her eyes he could see them sparkling as she regarded him for a few moments. She nodded slowly.

"You look good," she said.

He smiled. "You always look good."

Ashley blushed. "You got tan."

Ryley shrugged. "I've been down here for almost a month now."

Ashley nodded, then stepped closer and hugged him. Ryley wrapped his arms around her waist, feeling the skin of her lower back against his hands. He smiled when she felt her fingernails grazing through the hair on the back of his head. He leaned back and looked down at her. She smiled up at him and kissed him at the corner of the mouth.

"It's good to see you again, Ryley."

"I'm glad you came down."

She smiled, her blue eyes gazing into his.

"C'mon," he said, letting his arms fall from her waist. "You have anymore luggage?"

Ashley let her arms fall from around his neck and stepped back. "Yeah, just one bag."

Ryley picked up her backpack in one hand. "All right, let's get the hell out of here."

Ashley smiled. "Lead the way."

They picked their way through the crowds to the appropriate carousel and stood there waiting. Ryley looked around as they waited. There were quite a few other people waiting there and as his eyes swept over the crowd he caught a few people staring intently at him and Ashley. As he looked again he saw there were a lot of people now staring over at the two of them.

"Ashley," he whispered.

She looked up at him. "What?" she asked in a stage whisper.

He smiled. "I think we're on the verge of getting mobbed."

Ashley glanced around and then took his hand in hers. Ryley could feel her fingers intertwine with his and the feel of the many rings on Ashley's fingers were an odd sensation. She looked back up at him and he could see the stainless steel barbell piercing her tongue as she spoke.

"Protect me," she pleaded in a comic voice, then smiled, her eyes twinkling as she did so.

He laughed and as he did so was blinded by a cacophony of flash bulbs. The smile faded from his face as he turned and saw perhaps half a dozen men feverishly snapping pictures. Ashley turned away from the blinding array of flashbulbs, shielding her eyes behind Ryley's shoulder. A few men approached the two of them with tape recorders thrust out in front of them and began bombarding him with questions.

"Mr. Hale, what brings you to North Carolina?"

"Ryley, are you and Ashley dating?"

"How's the cowboy treating you, Ashley?"

"Rumor has it you're trying to make it back into NASCAR, care to comment?"

And on and on. Ryley shook his head and held up his one free hand.

"Guys, guys, slow down," he said. "Where did you come from?"

A few of them laughed.

"I mean, I thought I was pretty fast, but this is incredible."

Ashley laughed as she looked up at him and a few flashbulbs exploded at that. Ryley could already picture the covers of the tabloids and the photos in People.

"Okay, listen," he said. "I'm in town visiting my parents. Please don't come over to play. Ashley, are we dating?"

Ashley smiled and shook her head. "No, we're just friends."

"What kind of friends?" one reporter asked.

Ashley shrugged. "Good friends that haven't seen each other in awhile. And he treats me like anyone would treat a good friend."

Some of the men laughed at that. Ryley could see Ashley flush at that reaction so he took over.

"We're just friends, guys, okay?"

"What about NASCAR, Ryley?"

Ryley shrugged. "What about them? They banned me, remember? Short of a miracle I don't think I'll ever be back on the track."

"Ryley, here's my bag," Ashley said. "Let's go."

Ryley turned and grabbed the duffel bag that Ashley indicated and slung it over his shoulder. Ashley picked up her backpack and they turned to leave. As they walked towards the exit the group of photographers and reporters hustled along with them. They backpedaled in front of them, snapping pictures and asking questions, while others walked alongside and behind them. Finally, Ryley had had enough and stopped dead in his tracks.

"Look," he said, the pleasant tone gone from his voice. "We answered your questions, okay? Now just go away and wait for someone else. We're just regular people like everybody else. Please don't push your luck with me. I'm no angel and I have zero patience for this kind of thing."

The tone in his voice had a lethal edge to it and it seemed to have an effect because the group in front of he and Ashley lowered the cameras and moved aside. Ryley lead Ashley past them and out of the airport. They made it across the parking lot to his Camaro and it wasn't until they were pulling out of the airport that Ashley spoke.

"My God, Ryley," she laughed. "I've never seen those guys back off like that. You were incredible."