The Credit Card Caper Ch. 02

Story Info
More clues, politics, Police precincts, and wicked sex!
9.1k words
4.67
23.3k
9

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 09/01/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is as follows:

Todd & Melina series, Interludes 1-5, Sperm Wars series, Russian Roulette series, Case of the Murdered Lovers series, Case of the Murdered Chessplayer series, The Swap series, Interludes 6-10, The Murdered Football Player Series, Case of the Black Widow series, Teresa's Christmas Story, The Case of the Black Badge series, A Case of Revenge series, Trilogy Series, Dark Side Of The Force series, Caught In The Act series, Case of the Murdered Bride series.

The Credit Card Caper, Ch. 1-2.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, extreme language, and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial or racist language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 6 - Disavowed

October 19th: After getting back to Headquarters from my very pleasant lunch hour with Gayle and Laura, I received a setback.

"Commander," said Lt. Teresa Croyle as she entered my office with Detective E.J. Jefferson, "Spence Foster is nowhere to be found. His assistant at his gun range said he was taking a couple of days vacation. He's not at his home, either."

"How conveeeeenient." I said. "Okay, put out a full APB on him. I absolutely need for him to be found, and quickly. Go check back with his employees and see where he might have gone on a vacation."

--------

"All right, Don," said Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone as I entered his makeshift office in the FBI Suite in the Federal Building on Courthouse Square, "Salem, U.S.A. has issued a warrant for your arrest. You are to be tried on charges of witchcraft, of inexplicably knowing things you absolutely should not know, and you are going to be sentenced to being burned at the stake. My God, how did you know?"

"I wish all my cases were this easy." I said. "So you found a link between Alicia and the Corrigan cell?"

"I sure did, once you told me where to look." Jack said. "And you were right: the reason your wife and her assistant Roberts haven't been told anything... is because Alicia Foster was 'disavowed' by the CIA."

"Yep, it makes sense." I said. "So what's the story?

Muscone began his story: "After the Sommes and Willoughby treason came out, the CIA's internal auditors, and some FBI people as well, began looking very hard at all the CIA people at DynaCorp. That included Gayle Roberts, Alicia Foster, and a couple of other engineers, who have since left the firm and been re-assigned to other places."

Muscone continued: "They cleared Roberts pretty quickly, and your wife subsequently employed her at the University. The other engineers were also cleared, but the Agency believed that Alicia had been committing industrial espionage and taking some of the classified stuff at DynaCorp. That actually was their first clue that there was a rogue group within the CIA, though your actions really brought that out. So the highest levels of the CIA, FBI and Homeland Security had me and your wife begin looking into that. You know that story, and how your grenade launcher accuracy ended it."

"Don't I ever." I said. "Though there are still a few of them out there. I can feel it."

"Yes. Anyway, since they didn't realize at the time what the Corrigan cell was about, they thought Alicia was giving the stolen information to someone outside the CIA. So they disavowed her." Jack said. "So my question is: how did you know she was 'disavowed'? That's one of the CIA's biggest-kept secrets. They weren't all that happy when I started asking about it."

"The charitable trust." I said. "She knew she might get caught, and she planned to use that money in the event she was 'burned'." When an agent is burned, whether disavowed or not, his or her credit cards and bank accounts are cut off without warning.

"So," I continued, "I reasoned that she was intending to take the money and run. Apparently she made it as far as Coltrane County."

"So what's left for you?" Jack asked. "Trying to find who used her credit card? You can pass that off to your J.G. Detectives, can't you?"

"Oh, sure." I said. "And I will... but I want to talk to Alicia's husband, Spence Foster, first. I think he can tell us more than he has so far."

"Think he's involved in the espionage?"

"I tend to doubt it." I said. "If the CIA thought he was, they'd have his FFL revoked. He still has it; ergo, he's not a suspect in their eyes. But I still need to talk to him and-"

At that moment, FBI Agent Sandra Speer brought two lovely ladies to Jack's office. They happened to be my Lieutenant Sisterhood: Cindy Ross and Teresa Croyle.

"We've gotten a tip on where Spence Foster is." Teresa said. "He's up at Lake Amengi-Nunagen, apparently on a hunting trip, and he's camping on the Federal Wildlife Management Area up there."

"What the hell can he be hunting up there this time of year?" Jack Muscone asked derisively.

"Hogs." I said. "They're legal all year, though I don't know the regulations for hunting them on the W.M.A."

Sandra Speer said "They'd like to get a Federal warrant and have us go arrest him. I'm going to give the go-ahead if you don't object, Jack."

"Fine by me." said Muscone. "But consider him armed and potentially dangerous."

----------

As we waited for the FBI to get Spence Foster into custody, I had two important duties to attend to. The first was painful, but important. I called in Father Romano, our Catholic Police Chaplain, to be present for this one.

"Mr. and Mrs. Sherwood, I really appreciate you coming in today." I said as the Sherwoods were seated in Interrogation-A. Crime Lab Technician Christina Cho was also in the room. "I've called you in to ask you both to submit DNA samples, to aid in the identification of your daughter should we find her."

"Has there been any news? Do you know anything?" Mr. Sherwood asked.

I took a breath, then replied. "I have... hopes... that we will be able to find your daughter, and soon, sir. However, I must warn you now that those hopes do not extend to finding her alive. I'm sorry, but I believe it is more likely that she is dead than alive."

The Sherwoods sagged, Mrs. Sherwood becoming emotional. Trying to hold on to any hope, she said "Commander... you haven't actually found her yet?"

"No ma'am, not yet." I replied.

"So... there's still hope?" Mrs. Sherwood asked.

"Ma'am, sir..." I said, "... it would be very wrong of me to give you false hopes. I asked Father Romano here so that you can talk with him, and so he can help you prepare for the worst if and when that time comes."

Technician Cho took the cheek swabs and I escorted her back to the Crime Lab (to have two-man control) while the Sherwoods talked with the priest.

----------

The second duty was to quell a Disturbance in the Force, i.e. to referee a verbal spat between Cindy and Teresa. The debate happened in my office.

"I'll be glad to let you have Lorena Rose." said Cindy. "But I am not taking Sharples into MCD!"

"Well," retorted Teresa, "I'm not giving you anyone else. Joanne Cummings is starting to get the hang of things, E.J. is good but I don't know if he can withstand the Iron Crowbar in MCD, and even Geiger is getting better in there..."

"Okay, ladies." I interjected, having heard their points... many times over. "I'll consider a Rose for Cummings swap. Don't say a word about this, but Claire Michaels is likely going to be promoted to Lieutenant and put in charge of the SWAT team. That'll happen November 1st, during our 'interim' promotion period. I agree that Rose would fit better in Vice than MCD, and Cummings has shown some brilliant observation and deductive abilities."

"And Sharples?" Teresa asked, near bitterness. "Maybe we can promote him to something in the Uniform division?"

I said "Sergeant Thompson is going to be promoted to Lieutenant, also, but that's for other reasons, Rudistan is pegged to become a Sergeant, and Ronnie Kirkpatrick a Corporal - yes, the first since Feeley. No room for Sharples, even to be demoted to Sergeant like he apparently wants."

"Damn." said Teresa.

"We'll talk about that." I said. "Meantime, both Vice and MCD are getting short of people again, and we'll need to promote promising young officers. You two need to keep a sharp eye out for who you might want as J.G.s."

The Detective (J.G.) rank was actually a uniformed officer position, though within the Detective track. Most J.G.s still wore uniforms unless authorized for plainclothes missions, so it was a small but important step up for uniformed officers selected into the Detective program. I still felt pain about not having put Pete Feeley into it, but at the same time had to run my Police Force and put the best people in the best places.

"Cindy," I said, "I need for you, Julie, and Lorena to go and interview the manager of that charitable trust. His name is Mr. Coleman of Guaranty Trust Company in the City, and he is expecting you because I called and made an appointment for you to see him early this evening. If the need arises you can deputize yourself into the SBI Reserve. And call Teresa the moment you have any kind of information we can act upon. Teresa, stay here so we can talk." Cindy scooted on out the door.

"Let's go take a walk." I said to Teresa. "I don't want to talk about this inside the building here." Teresa didn't know if I was about to chew her out or what, and she looked nervous.

We took my Police SUV north on the road that runs in front of the Headquarters, past the back of the City Hall building and up to Ronald Reagan Park. It was situation on the River at the northwest corner of Town, and had playground equipment, a long (1.5 mile) looping bicycle/running path, a frisbee-golf course, picnic tables under awnings down by the riverbank.

Teresa and I found a bench under some shade. "I wanted to come here to keep this between you and me, Teresa." I said. "It's about Sharples."

"Oh." Teresa said, still not knowing if she was in trouble or not.

"I understand that you want that fatass piece of crap out of your squad." I said. "I'd love to make that happen, also. But I can't, at least not yet, and for two reasons. I'm not supposed to tell you this, but it's only fair to tell you if you're going to be leading my Vice Squad."

Teresa nodded and I continued: "The first reason is the Police Union. Sharples has gone running to them twice when I tried to reprimand him in writing. Admittedly it was for flimsy stuff and I was trying to create a paper trail in his file so I could fire him, and the Union is pushing back. Sharples won both grievances, and I ended up doing more harm than good."

"Fuck them." Teresa said, scowling.

"I hear ya." I said. "But they're doing what they're supposed to be doing, I guess. Anyway, the second reason is far more important, and you can't say a word about this:

"I've also talked to Internal Affairs about Sharples." I said. "I've been contacted by an SBI agent who has been watching Sharples for years. He thinks Sharples may be trying to set up drug connections, maybe broker one group like-" I paused, not finishing.

"Like they say Captain Malone did." Teresa said, finishing. "Yeah, I'm still skeptical, but I understand."

"Out of sheer curiosity, why are you still skeptical?" I asked.

"I know there's some circumstantial evidence that points in that direction, Commander," Teresa replied, "but I still believe that if it were really going on, I or someone else in Vice would've found out about it. I just can't believe that no one in Vice got wind, and I don't think they're all dirty enough to hide the secret if they'd found out about it."

"I agree, and I agree with you that they're not dirty." I said. "Anyway, Sharples has developed quite a reputation around Town, to the point he has to watch his back. That's an angle to work on. I.A. is watching him, as well. I've talked to Curly Goodwin several times, and they're working to get a bead on Sharples.

I finished up: "And the ramifications of that for you is that you're stuck with Sharples for now. If we move him anywhere else, I.A.'s work gets set back, and he'll just be a problem elsewhere. So we can't move him to MCD, we can't move him to precincts when they happen, we can't really move him anywhere... I'm sorry, but that's the deal for now."

"Thanks for telling me." Teresa said. "Anything I can do to help with all that?"

"No." I said. "And don't do anything at all. You're not supposed to know. If you start trying to facilitate situations where Sharples can be caught, he might catch on. He's very cunning that way. So just keep bitching at him and carry on. Meanwhile... I've got to go get dressed properly. If you think Sharples is bad... I have to face the Council tonight. Want to be a Precinct Captain, Teresa?"

"Hell no," said Teresa, "and you better shoot down any attempts to make me one. I am very happy in Vice, Sharples notwithstanding, thankyouverymuch." Inside I was extremely relieved and happy to hear that.

Part 7 - Precincts

(Author's note: sorry folks, gotta lay groundwork somewhere. Please bear with it.)

The Town & County Council's public chambers were an impressive auditorium in the City Hall complex, but they had chosen to go into 'executive session', as some of the discussions actually involved personnel. Therefore we were in the Council's 'private' meeting room, a rather snug room that had a long conference table, a projector screen at one end, and some chairs that a few other people could sit in.

The Mayor sat at the end of the table, at the far end from the projector screen. The Town's representation sat to his right, and the County's to his left. Chief Griswold and Captain Charles were sitting in chairs on the County side, just because that's where the chairs were. And up front, standing, wearing my Duty Dress uniform, was Your Iron Crowbar.

After the Mayor called upon me, I began. After opening pleasantries, I said "Let me start with Precinct 3, which goes from the farms to the west of the River above the midline of the County..." I pointed on the screen on the map at the location. "... and which carries over the mountain ridge to the subdivisions and communities east, including the Mountain Valley Golf Course." That fun golf course was owned by Ian McGhillie, who was sitting in front of me as one of the Council members; he was also the father of one of my patrol officers.

I continued: "The County Jail is still being used to house prisoners. It also used to be the County Police Headquarters before the merger of the Town and County Public Safety departments. The space there is not being used, would be ideal as a Precinct headquarters, and would require nothing more than a good cleaning up to become fully operational again. Infrastructure such as communications and I.T. is already in place. In addition, the outdoor Police range is in this precinct and not far away, giving them an existing place to train."

I saw several heads nod as I looked around the room. Precinct 3 was easy. Now for the much harder parts: "Now, let's look at Precinct 2, which I know is the precinct that some of you are most interested in. Precinct 2 covers the farms west of the River and south of the midline, Junction Station, the 'Strip', as we call it; the 'Tenderloin District', as we call it; and the Southwestern areas of Town that were once part of the industrial sector. It also contains some of the industrial areas."

The 'Southwestern Ghetto', which I astutely chose to not call it by, was the blighted area of Town, where the Public Housing was and where the majority of the crime was. It was Reginald B.F. Lewis's sector, and it was mostly Black.

"There is an ideal location for us in this area." I continued. "The old Cannon Building, which is called the 'The Old Mill', was an industrial fabrics manufacturing facility near the River. It is empty now, but the structure is not run down and the insides can be cleaned up and molded into what we want. The front entrance faces north, and faces Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue." MLK Avenue was a major east-west road through that area, and one of the few roads that had a bridge built over the river to get to the west side. The road connected with the bypass road on the other side of the River.

"It is not too large, it's fenced in nicely, and, as I was saying, the floors inside are still in good condition; in fact, these floors are really fantastic, made of old hardwoods that could not be replaced at any price today. All they need is a good buff shining, and I have some Police Academy Cadets well suited for that task." There was general laughter at that, then I went on.

"I really like the feel of this old building when I go inside it, too; it has... 'character', for lack of a better term." I said, trying to sell the idea. "Anyway, the downstairs can be converted into a Precinct headquarters. The right side here," I put up a photograph I'd taken, "can be converted into holding cells and booking, with an exclusive entrance on that side. There'll be locked doors to the rest of the facility, with similar security to our current Police Headquarters."

I went on: "The upstairs can be used for storage for anything except weapons and evidence requiring a chain of custody, and we might can create an evidence room if it's ever needed. What I really like is that we can, and will, put some secure servers and radio communications facilities on the upper floor. The Headquarters is getting short of space for this technology, and we can really wire this place up."

"Who owns this building?" asked John 'Jack' Colby.

"J.P. Goldman Bank. Foreclosure." I replied, nodding my head towards Mr. Goldman, who was sitting in the room as a Council member. "And because a certain public service body promoted me to Commander and gave me the ability to sign contracts for the Police Force, I've already secured an option to buy the property."

That 'public service body' was the Council itself, and they got the joke. However, it was 'aggressive' of me, and that's putting it mildly, to take that action before the Council had made any formal decisions; it was almost putting them on a spot of being pulled into it; and it bespoke an untoward confidence in me of my plan. So fire me, I thought to myself.

"It sounds good, so far." said Mayor Larry Vaughan, the People's Choice, sitting at the end of the table, conveying his own approval of the idea. "So, what about Precinct 1?"

I knew this was going to be the toughie as I started. "Precinct 1 is from the Industrial and Warehouse Districts of Town north to the City Limits, as well as the University and what are actually State-owned properties. This encompasses most of the Town, and is of course the largest precinct by population."

No getting past it, time to dive in: "I know some of you might object to this, but I really think for the time being that Precinct 1 should be headquartered in the current Police Headquarters. With two precincts moving out, there will be almost too much room in the Uniformed Officers areas of the building. It will simply save the taxpayers money to use this existing facility rather than convert another building or build a new facility."

Reginald B.F. Lewis immediately spoke up. "Commander, I've loved what you've said to this point. However, I'm fearful that if one precinct is housed in the Headquarters, there will be a favoritism towards that precinct over the others, do you not agree?" I knew Lewis's real objections: he pretty much wanted these precincts to be separate, semi-autonomous little police departments, especially Precinct 2... which was what I was trying hard to avoid.