The Crusader Ch. 01

Story Info
Can Detective Chambers find his man?
12.4k words
4.82
43.2k
29

Part 1 of the 9 part series

Updated 10/22/2022
Created 07/31/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,293 Followers

Ch. 1--The Manhunt

I've enjoyed writing the "westerns" I've been posting lately but feel it's time to branch off into a different type of story. For at least a few postings.

You may tire of this statement but constructive comments, critiques, and emails are requested and appreciated; as usual.

If you've read my stories you know there are no descriptive sex scenes in my work.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my work. I hope you enjoy this story.

********************

"You're not working this case and that's an order," Captain Pete Mallory said with a bit of anger. "Quit bugging me about it"

Mallory was the Police Captain in charge of Precinct 16. Detective First Class Rollie Chambers was the man the order was directed at. Rollie and Captain Mallory were close. Pete was Rollie's boss but more importantly his friend and mentor.

"But Captain, I can help," Rollie objected. "I've got descriptions of their attacker from two of the victims. You know they refused to talk to anyone until I interviewed them. I can help," he repeated.

"Sit down," Mallory invited. It was more of an order than an invitation. He turned and drew two cups of coffee from the never empty urn on the table behind his desk and handed one to Detective Chambers. "You're too close to it Rollie." He held up his hand to stop Rollie's protest. Mallory looked at Rollie with compassion. He knew his detective's history with rape cases and understood why Rollie put his body and soul into each one that he worked.

"The last three rape cases you've worked on you've gone overboard putting in 16, 18 hours a day," Mallory said. "You're going to burn yourself out if you're not careful and I can't afford to lose one of my best detectives." The Captain smiled and added, "Yes I said one of my best detectives; but don't let it go to your head."

A sad look came over Mallory's face. "I know that you're still hurting over Susan's death but that was four years ago. You need to get over it and move on."

Rollie sat up straighter in his chair. Looking Mallory in the eye he said, "I'll never get over it Pete. And I don't intend for any other husband, boyfriend, or significant other to feel the way I do." Rollie took a deep breath. "God damn it Pete, let me work this case."

Mallory stared at Rollie for several seconds. "Go work on that Grand Theft Auto case and let me think on it. I'll let you know in a day or two."

"You know as well as I do Pete that if we don't catch the guy in the first 48 hours the odds of us doing so get smaller and smaller," Rollie protested.

"Okay, okay. I'll think about it and let you know before the end of shift today," Mallory said. "That's the best you're gonna get right now. Get back to work."

"Thanks Captain," Rollie replied.

He went back to his desk in the middle of the huge squad room. Rollie pulled the file on the case in question and started going over the descriptions and statements of the victims. One of the young rape victims reminded him of his wife. Same long brown hair, same big brown eyes, and the same little button of a nose. Or what would have been a button nose; it was broken and swollen in the picture. She had two black eyes and the discoloration made her look like a raccoon. But at least she was alive.

********************

Rollie Chambers met Susan Taylor when he stopped her to give her a speeding ticket. She'd been driving her fire engine red Miata 55 MPH in a 25 zone. He quickly gave chase in his patrol car as she whizzed by him. After he pulled her over he purposely made her wait while he used his radio to run her plates and get his ticket book. Rollie slowly walked up to the passenger side of the convertible. A couple of motorcycle cops had been hit by passing cars recently while writing tickets. If I go down it's not going to be because I was hit while doing a traffic stop, he thought.

He had been assign to a patrol car just three months ago. Rollie had applied to the Police Academy the day he graduated from high school. Wanting to be a policeman was something he'd dreamed about since he was twelve years old. Now, at 25, he'd been a "cop" for seven years. Rollie had taken the exam to become a detective last month. He hoped to take the next step in his police career in the near future.

Every year the Police Department gave exams that would begin an officer's climb in the ranks. Exams for Detective, Sergeant, Captain, and others were necessary for advancement. There were a limited number of slots open for each rank and passing an exam or even getting a very high score didn't guaranty promotion. Each candidate was ranked by the test scores and personal interviews. Then their name was added to the promotion list. After that it was a matter of your name reaching the top spot on the list.

Rollie took the test for detective more on a dare from his friend Pete Mallory than anything. He was happy being a patrolman. But Pete had made it sound like Rollie couldn't pass the exam anyway so why bother. Rollie had aced the test and got the second highest score in that year.

For her part Susan only saw an impediment that kept her from getting to her meeting. She watched in her side mirror as the patrolman slowly went about his business and began to walk toward her. "He's a good looking guy," she mumbled in spite of her wish to get going. About 6' 1with an athletic build. Bet his dark hair is wavy under his hat. As the office got closer she could see his piercing blue eyes.

By the time he got to Susan waiting in her car, she was squirming in her seat. She was late for a meeting with her thesis counselor at college. "I'm late for a meeting so maybe we could speed this up," Susan said smiling at the young patrolman.

"Should have left home earlier," Rollie replied. "Then you wouldn't have to do 55 in a 25 MPH zone. License and registration please."

Susan's smile slipped away as she got her driver's license from her purse and the registration from the center console. She handed Rollie the two items with somewhat of an angry gesture. Rollie clipped the license to the top of his ticket book and started writing, ignoring her anger.

She's 23. Two years younger than me, he thought. Good looking too in a sort of girl next door way. Pretty long light brown hair and she got those big brown eyes that a guy could get lost in. Rollie keep glancing over at Susan as he wrote. Says on the license she's 5' 9 and 120 pounds, he said to himself. Good, she can wear high heels when we go out. I like a woman to wear high heels.

"Here you go Miss Taylor," Rollie said handing back her documents. Holding the ticket book out to her he showed her where to sign. "This isn't an admission of guilt; it simply says you'll appear on the court date if you decide to contest the charges. I gave you a break and listed your speed at 40 instead of 55. That'll save you about $50. Don't make me regret giving you a break. Slow down."

Rollie gave her a copy of the citation. "I'm not allowed to call you or ask you out. Police ethics you know. But I put my card with my precinct phone number and cell number with your paperwork. There's no rule against you calling me Miss Taylor." Rollie smile at her, nodded, and walked back to his car.

"You expect me to call you after you gave me a ticket," Susan said loudly as he walked away. "Giving me a ticket isn't very romantic you know." Now she had a small smile on her face.

"The ticket is the law. I didn't have a choice." Rollie grinned, "The romantic part is between you and me. Call me please." He continued on to his car. Who knows maybe she'll call, he thought as he watched her pull away at a much slower speed than previously.

Three days later he was surprised and pleased when Susan called him on his cell as he got off duty.

Without identifying herself she said, "You know you cost me $50 plus court costs."

Rollie chuckled as he recognized her voice. "I didn't cost you anything. You were the one speeding. In fact I saved you money. The fine could have been $100 plus costs."

"Well I think you owe me at least a couple of drinks and maybe even dinner tonight," Susan replied.

"Well as a policeman I did promise to protect and serve. I guess a drink and or dinner could be thought of as serving." He waited until she stopped laughing. "Should I come by for you or do you want to meet somewhere?"

"The service should include door to door transportation. Pick me up at 7. My address is...."

"On Butler," Rollie interrupted. "I know. Remember I read your driver's license. See you at 7." He hung up hearing her laugh again as he did.

That evening was the start of a fast paced romance. Rollie and Susan, Susan and Rollie; if you saw one the other was close by. They spent an evening camping out by the old quarry. Around their campfire they talked about their thoughts, beliefs, and dreams. Around 2 AM they went skinny dipping and spent the rest of the night in each other's arms.

After several dates and a few sleepovers they talked about more important things than what kind of music they like, do you prefer cake or pie, and what's your favorite movies. During their talks on the phone and when they were together they found that they shared many of the same beliefs, ideas, and goals. Susan agreed with Rollie assertion that you were responsible for your actions and their repercussions. Neither thought that an unhappy childhood didn't give you the right to be a bad person or do bad things.

They also agreed that family should be the most important thing in your life. Susan wanted at least three children and wasn't opposed to more. Rollie wanted to be a father; the number of kids didn't matter to him. One or two or ten, it's all the same he told her.

The only logical result of their dates and talks and sleepovers was marriage; which happened about six months after that first date.

For the next ten months Susan and Rollie were as happy as two young working adults could be. Rollie's schedule was very flexible and changed every three weeks or so. Because of his schedule and Susan working on an advanced college degree they made the most of their time together.

Their friends laughed at how close the two newlyweds were. One of Rollie's fellow cops kept inviting him to play poker one a week. About the fourth time Rollie thanked him but turned down the invitation, he asked Rollie why he didn't want to socialize with his work mates.

"It's not that I don't want to have some fun with you guys," Rollie answered. "I like you guys very much but I'd rather spend the time with Susan. Our schedules are so screwed up we take every chance we can to be together."

It was a trying but wonderful time for the two youngsters. Right up until Bradley Thomas came into their lives.

Thomas was a small man. More than one person said that with his small beady eyes, his wild mop of blond streaked dark hair, and his skinny build he looked like a ferret or a weasel. Whatever his size, whatever he looked like, he destroyed Susan and Rollie's happy life.

He attacked and raped Susan one night as she left a late class. Susan said later that she felt an arm go around her neck as she bent over to put her key in the door of her Miata. Some kind of cloth with a strange smell was pressed over her nose and mouth. She told the investigators that she passed out shortly afterward.

Susan had been found just off the parking lot in a row of decorative pine trees by another student. By the time she woke up she was in the ER. After treating her injuries, a rape kit was used to collect DNA evidence. Susan had several bruises on her thighs, a broken eye socket, a broken nose, and both her lips were split.

One of her nurses asked the attending doctor, "She'll be okay won't she? She's such a pretty young girl."

The doctor nodded his head. "Physically she'll be fine. The eye socket will heal without surgery and we've set her nose so that'll soon be okay. The rest are just cuts, contusions, and bruises." He stopped and looked at the wild look in Susan's eyes. "I don't know about her mental state; this is a hell of a shock to her. I think she should get into therapy or a support group as quickly as possible."

Rollie's patrol cruiser made a power slid up to the door of the ER. He was out of the car before it stopped moving and headed inside to find his wife. He'd heard the radio call giving the description of an assault and rape victim and then asking for an ambulance.

The doctor saw the young policeman charge into the hospital and went to meet him. The patrolman identified himself.

"Your wife will be okay Officer Chambers," the doctor said. He went on to detail Susan's injuries. "She'll be sore for several days and the bruising will be extensive but Mrs. Chambers will make a full recovery."

"Thank god," Rollie replied. His knees got weak and he had to sit down in a nearby chair. Taking a deep breath to steady himself he stood up. "Thank you Doctor, thank you very much. Can I see my wife now?"

"I'll have the nurse take you to her." He motioned for one of the ER nurse's. "One suggestion Mr. Chambers, get your wife into a support group or to a therapist as soon as she leaves the hospital. Rape is very traumatic for most women and they usually need professional help to get through it." The doctor put his hand on Rollie's shoulder. "I'll have the nurse take you to see your wife now. Call me if I can help in any way."

As he turned away the doctor muttered to himself. "What kind of animal could do this to a woman? If the police catch this psychopath I hope they lock him away for the rest of his life."

Rollie was able to take Susan home the next day. He spent the first two days with her taking personal time from the force. Susan seemed to get better so he went back to work. Rollie arranged with Captain Mallory to work the day shift for the next month. He wanted to be home with Susan during the night.

Susan at first resisted seeing a therapist but finally agreed to meet with one. She met with Jessica Talbert twice a week for a month and talked to her on the phone almost every day. The bruises faded and the swelling around her eyes went away. The therapy seemed to help and slowly Susan became more like her old self. She was still a little high strung and nervous but she was getting better.

In the mean time a city wide man hunt had been going on. The police knew that Bradley Thomas was Susan's attacker. Thomas had been implicated in another rape and attack four months earlier. He'd had an iron clad alibi but his DNA was now on file with the police department. He left his DNA behind in Susan as evidence.

Even though Susan was one of their own, the police had other crimes to handle so the man hunt slowly petered out. Every day at roll call for three months, the officers were reminded to be on the lookout for Thomas but after several weeks their attention had moved on to other problems in the city.

Rollie looked forward to being able to make love to his wife but he didn't want to push her. Susan began to snuggle up to Rollie when they went to bed. At first she would just put her foot on his leg or lay her hand on his shoulder. One night she asked Rollie to just hold her.

The Chambers' life was getting back to normal. Susan was smiling and joking with Rollie more often and the haunted look in her eyes had disappeared. They still hadn't made love but were looking forward to it. Susan had gone for a three month follow up visit. During the visit she told the doctor that she felt like she was coming down with the flu.

"We'll take some blood and run some tests," the doctor said. "Probably just a virus but we'll check it out. You can come back next week for the results."

The results of the blood test were devastating. It took Susan close to thirty minutes to make the fifteen minute drive home from her doctor's office. Her mind was spinning and she had trouble concentrating. Several times people honked at her because she just sat at an intersection after the traffic light had changed. Susan pulled into her parking space at her and Rollie's condo.

She entered her home leaving the front door wide open and went into her kitchen. Susan sort of folded onto a kitchen chair and stared at the wall for several minutes. Finally Susan stood and went into the small guest bedroom that they used as an office and study area for her. She tore a sheet of paper out of a notebook and wrote a short note.

Susan put the note in an envelope, took it into the master bedroom, and propped it up on the night stand on Rollie's side of the bed. Then she walked into the bathroom. Opening the medicine cabinet Susan took out the bottle of Oxycontin pills the doctor had prescribe for pain after the attack on her.

There had been 15 pills in the prescription but Susan had only taken two; she didn't like the way they made her feel. Susan got a glass of water, lay down on the bed and took the 13 remaining pills. Tears were running down her cheeks as she dropped the prescription bottle on the bed next to her.

That's the way Rollie found her when he got home from work.

He looked at the open front door in surprise and rushed into the apartment. "Susan, Susan! Where are you?"

Rollie check the small living area, kitchen and went down the short hall to their bedroom. He saw Susan and knew she was dead. Slowly he walked over to the bed and sat down next to her. Rollie picked up the bottle and read the prescription. He held Susan's hand and cried.

"Why baby?" Rollie asked choking on his tears. "You were getting better; we were getting better." Then he saw the envelope on his night stand. He walked around the bed, opened the envelope, and read the note.

Dear Rollie,

Please forgive me but I can't face this anymore.

Jessica has been a big help and I've been slowly getting better. My mind felt clearer and I wasn't in such a fog anymore. I was looking forward to making love with you again and holding you as you held me for so many nights.

You are the best thing that ever happened to me and I often thank God that I was speeding that day. Maybe I was speeding toward my one true love. I guess so because that is what you are; my one true love.

When I went for my three month follow up I wasn't felling very well. My doctor said he thought I had a mild case of the flu and took my blood to test. He called me today and asked that I come in to discuss the results of the test. I thought it was strange that he couldn't tell me over the phone.

When I got the results I understood why he wanted to see me in person. There is no easy way to say this. That animal, that fiend Thomas that raped me gave me HIV. It wasn't bad enough that he almost took my sanity but now he has taken my life.

My doctor told me that testing positive for HIV doesn't mean it will develop into full bloom AIDS but I can't take the chance. A life time of worrying about a mistake or an accident when we make love isn't something I can live with. What if you became infected too because you showed me how much you love me? I couldn't live with that.

So instead of waiting and praying that it doesn't happen I'm taking this way out. Please forgive me and think of me sometimes.

I want you to mourn me, mourn us, for a while and then get on with your life. You are too fine a man to be alone. Someone else needs the love and caring that you can provide.

But remember I will be waiting for you.

I love you Rollie. Thank you for being mine.

All my love forever.

Susan

Rollie called Pete Mallory and explained what Susan had done. He was lost and didn't know what to do.

"Stay put Rollie," Pete said. "I'm on my way.

Mallory told his wife, Mary, what had happened and she joined him to go take care of Rollie. While driving Mrs. Mallory made several calls. Arrangements had to be made and she took over. Pete listened to the calls. When she finished he reached over and took her hand, brought it to his lips, and kissed it.

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,293 Followers