The Crusader Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,295 Followers

Someone sat down in the chair next to his desk. Rollie looked up from the file he was reading and was surprised at his visitor. Jessica Talbert sat there with a big smile on her face.

"Come with me please," she requested. She stood, crooked her finger at Rollie and walked to Captain Mallory's office. Rollie followed her.

Now what? He questioned himself. His thoughts ran in circles. Maybe she's going to tell Pete I should take some time off, maybe she's going to tell him I shouldn't be a cop anymore. No, she would have said something at our last session. Rollie entered the office and Jessica closed the door behind him.

"Hello Doctor Talbert," Pete greeted her.

She nodded in greeting. "Captain Mallory, I'm here to give you my conclusions and opinions concerning Detective Chambers." Jessica turned to look at Rollie for a few seconds.

"And what have you found Doctor?" Pete asked.

"I think Detective Chambers is a dedicated police officer. He really cares about helping people and in his own words 'making a difference'. Sometimes he can become obsessive in doing his duty but it's only because he does care so deeply."

"What about the Thomas shooting?" Pete asked and looked at Rollie.

"I think he was obsessed with finding the man that attacked and in his mind killed his wife," Jessica replied. "I also think it was a normal reaction, especially from a man whose life was and is being a good officer."

Rollie started to speak but Mallory said, "You just stand there young man." He smiled and added, "This is between us grownups." Turning back to Jessica he asked, "What happened with Thomas? What did Rollie tell you?"

"What Detective Chambers told me is privileged information between a doctor and patient." Mallory started to argue but she held up her hand to stop him. "I can't and won't tell you what was said in our sessions; about the Thomas case or anything else. I will tell you that whatever demons were pressuring Rollie have been laid to rest. If, and I say if, he stepped over the line it's something that won't happen again. At least that's my conclusion."

Jessica turned to look at Rollie again and then back to Mallory. "In the future Detective Chambers will probably work too many hours on any rape or assault cases against women. But that's understandable...and commendable."

She handed a written report to Mallory. "In my professional opinion Rollie should be allowed to continue doing what he does best. Make a difference." For the first time since entering Mallory's office she smiled. "That's my story and I'm stickin to it," she said. "I'll send my bill to the Department." She turned and left the office.

"Well you made quite an impression on Doctor Talbert Rollie," Mallory said. "Quit standing there gawking and get back to work."

Rollie left the office and caught Jessica at the elevator. "Thanks Jessica. Your opinion means a lot to me."

"I still think you have a few issues that we could deal with. If you need to talk give me a call." Jessica smiled again and said, "No charge for follow up visits Rollie."

"How about we make the first follow up visit over dinner tonight," Rollie suggested. "You know sort of a celebration of my graduation."

Jessica put her hand on Rollie's arm and smiled. "Rollie it's normal for a patient to develop feelings for their doctor. I was able to help you confront your loss and anger when Susan died. Because of the emotional things we've discussed and you've come to feel a romantic attachment to me. But your feelings aren't real; they're just a side effect of our relationship as doctor and patient. It would be unethical for me to have a social interaction with you. I'm sorry but it wouldn't be a good idea."

Rollie listened to Jessica's dissertation quietly. When she finished he gave her a sad little smile. "You're the doctor but you're not as smart as you think. You're right; you did help me through a bunch of garbage that was clogging up my mind. You helped me find a way to live with Susan's death and not lose myself in the process. And I thank you for your help."

He touched her hand on his arm. "But you're wrong about me. I know what I feel and it isn't gratitude. You may not admit it because you think it's unethical but we made a connection. One that was more than just a doctor/patient relationship. Remember what I've said; you can bet one of these days I'll make that follow up visit and it won't be for counseling." He leaned over and kissed her cheek surprising her. "See ya around Doc."

********************

"Earth to Rollie. Hey kid wake up," Frank Wends said with a laugh. "Your phones ringing."

Rollie shook himself back to the present. Man, I was lost in a time long ago and far far away, he thought. It's been six months since I've seen Jessica and over a month since I've talked to her. He picked up the phone.

First Squad, Detective Chambers," he said.

"Chambers this Major Taylor at the Special Victims Unit. You got a minute?"

"Yes sir. How may I help you?" Rollie answered. When a Major in the Department wanted a minute of your time, you made sure he got it.

"We're setting up a special task force to go after this rapist. Some think the same guy did all five of the attacks and some think it's a group of two or three that are getting their kicks. Either way we're putting our best on the task force. I'd like you to join us."

"There are others with more experience than me sir," Rollie replied. "Wouldn't they be more useful? Besides I'd have to check with Captain Mallory before I would know if he can spare me."

"Mallory just left my office and it was him that suggested I add you to the force," Major Taylor said. "He said you were the only one that got the latest victims to talk. Said you're the one that got the description out of them. That true?"

"Yes sir."

"How'd you do it Chambers? We had officers, both male and female, talk to them and nothing. I personally had a female detective question them. She got nothing. How'd you do it boy?"

"Well I ...." Rollie hesitated. He didn't want to point a finger at other officers working the case.

"Out with it Chambers," Major Taylor ordered.

"I didn't question the victims sir, I just talked to them," Rollie answered. "Everyone was going at it trying to get info so they could catch the guy. They felt sorry for the girls but their focus was the perp. I made the focus the girls. Reassured them that it wasn't their fault, told them they'd make it through to the other side." Rollie took a deep breath. "I told them about my wife Susan and how she got past what happened to her. I did leave out the part about her death. Didn't think it would help."

"Mallory was right. You got a feel for this. You'll be point man on the investigation. That all right with you Rollie?" The Major wasn't sure the young officer would take the job and he waited for Rollie's answer.

"Who'll be the commander sir?" Rollie asked. There were a lot of good detectives in the Department but this task force would need a special commander. One who wasn't married to doing things by the book and could think outside of the box.

"I thought since you would be lead that Pete Mallory would make a good commander. That suit you Rollie?"

"Yes sir," he replied with enthusiasm. "Pete, I mean Captain Mallory, will make an excellent commander. Count me in sir."

"Good. Pete's on his way back to the 16th and he'll fill you in on the other team members," Major Taylor said. "Oh, I forgot to mention; we're gonna have a psychiatrist working primarily with you. Some one that can do a profile on the perps. You know give us ideas on the type who, what, how and most importantly why. It works for the FBI so I guess we can make use of the tactic too."

"Yes sir. If I can ask, who is this profiler?" Rollie asked.

"I think you've already met.

Her name is Doctor Jessica Talbert."

To be continued

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,295 Followers