The Dawn of Wynter Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
elle137
elle137
147 Followers

"You can get off of me now," she said, lying stiffly on the floor, her voice devoid of any emotion.

"Are you sure? You're not going to try and cook yourself alive again?" he replied scornfully.

She merely stared at him, before he finally let go of her and stood up. She got up without looking at any of them, ashamed they had just witnessed her meager attempt to end her life. The three people who cared for her the most were standing behind her, wondering what had just happened. She could hear their thoughts in her head, she tried to block them but she could not, all her physical energy drained, she had nothing left in her anymore to stop her natural abilities from flowing forward. Kai was pissed, he was angry that she would even try and kill herself, that she was selfish enough to leave all of them behind. He gave up his life to spend his new one taking care of her.

Antoinette felt such sorrow that it almost pushed Zara to her knees. She could not understand why Zara didn't allow anyone to help her, she could be the most amazing creature on the planet yet she pushed away her gifts. As a witch, it was unfathomable to deny your fate. While Xander hid his thoughts, she could still sense his emotions. He was hurt, most probably by her rejection of him, and he was confused, worried, and was that fear she sensed too?. All of their thoughts and emotions sank into her and she immediately felt like a fool, falling to her knees and letting a sob escape her throat. She began crying quietly, her body shaking.

"Leave us," she heard Xander say quietly. She felt, rather than heard Toni and Kai leave. Xander was now standing behind her, his hand resting on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry you hate yourself so, that you hate me too. I hope one day you will see what a beautiful and unique creature you are Zara, that you can come to forgive me for what I did and love me. Not like that," he added quickly at the look on her face in the reflection of the window, "love me like you love Kailan, like a friend and a brother, like the father you never had. You are a part of me, whether you like it or not, I'm sorry that I am such a disappointment to you. I only wanted to protect you, remember that. All I have ever wanted was to protect you, as a human and as a vampire."

He turned and walked out of her room. She had woken the next day to find he was gone and had severed their mental link. She had tried to call to him, to apologize for everything she had said, but he put up a mental wall between them and she could not get through. She waited for him to come back, but he never did. She cried for days, she had been such a fool. Xander was the only other person she had other than Kai who had been patient with her, had tried to help her move on and she spat in his face.

Looking back now she should have realized there was a goodbye hidden in his last words to her. She felt Philippe's fingers along her cheeks, and realized she had tears running down her face again. She leaned into his hand unconsciously. His moved closer to her and wrapped his arms around her in a tight embrace, his chin resting on top of her head.

"I'm sure he knows you did not mean what you said. He gave you the space you needed, that you had asked for without realizing it."

She didn't respond, she just sat in Philippe's arms, seeking comfort from the last man she thought could comfort her. They sat, watching the sun rise higher, and the city waking up.

"I'm sorry for crushing your throat," she whispered some time later.

She heard the deep rumble of his laugh in his chest, "I'm getting used to your abuse, plus I like it rough so please don't go soft on me now."

She couldn't help the laugh that escaped her and she pushed him away and returned to staring at the skyline. Suddenly he stood up, his hand reaching for hers. She looked up at him questioningly.

"Come on, ma petite, we have work to do."

"What work?" she asked suspiciously

He looked into her eyes and wondered what the hell had gotten into him. Somewhere between her ripping his throat out and this moment, he had decided that Xander was wrong. This beautiful woman was hurting. She was alone when she should not be. She had been kept in the dark for to long. What could it hurt to share a bit of the truth with her? He took a deep breath and made his choice.

"We -- well I- am going to help you control these strange abilities you seem to have. It's about time you stopped fighting your true nature Mademoiselle Wynters, you are a beautiful and unique creature, as your Xander said, you're not meant to be caged."

"Philippe, you have already seen what I'm capable of, how are you supposed to teach me anything I haven't already learned on my own?"

"Because my dear, there is much you do not know about me," he said in a quiet voice before lifting her to her feet and catching her gaze before letting go of his own self inflicted enchantments. His eyes burned gold, the blue completely gone, as he took her hand and let the full power of his magic run through her. She gasped staring back at him, her own eyes glowing silver in response. If she wasn't mistaken, it seemed Philippe Desmarais was telling her in no uncertain terms that she was not alone, and not quite as unique as she thought she was.

elle137
elle137
147 Followers