The Devil Gets His Due

Story Info
The Final Part Of A Trilogy.
2.8k words
4.65
3.5k
2
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is the third installment of a trilogy. Read The Devil And Danielle Webster and The Devil Is In The Details first. I use Canadian spelling.

*

For once I caught a break and not only did I need it I deserved it! My life had gone to shit and I was out of options, I couldn't even pay for the drinks on my tab and that was the least of my problems, this wouldn't be the first bill I'd skated away on. The real problem was that I had nowhere to skate away to. For the moment this bar was a great place to shrink into the shadows and hide from both the cops and the robbers. It would seem that my boss, he's not the nicest guy, had noticed some discrepancies in the books and now the cops wanted to have a chat with me. My ex might have been whining at them too, I don't know. The stupid bitch wouldn't talk to me, I tried a couple of times but she wouldn't see reason, now she has black eyes to prove my point! Much worst was that some of my betting colleagues were looking for me as well, not so much to talk though.

I was just about to go to the men's room for a leak and then slip out the back door when my lucky break sat down on the stool beside me. He was a salesman for some computer company and he was celebrating a big sale he'd just made. This guy had a few drinks and started bragging about how great his company was and how much they were expanding,"Cutting edge technology. Exploding market potential!" On and on and on he went, this guy wouldn't shut up!

After letting this guy buy a few round I realized that if I played my cards right I might be able to get out of the mess I'd been dropped in and maybe, just maybe, get back on top. When I finally had a chance to speak, this guy loved the sound of his own voice, I described my thriving career as an independent management consultant and efficiency expert. I tried not to spread it on too thick and this dude ate it up! I skillfully steered the conversation around to what career opportunities might be available in his company, not that I was interested, me being so satisfied in my current position! Well, well, well, it seemed that his company, Machro-Tech, was in the middle of a hiring frenzy! They were having a tough time filling all the open positions!

I let this rube drone on while I studied his card. He was Tom Fairchild, accounts executive. Before I knew it Tom, "Call me Tommy", was practically begging me to give the human resources director at Machro-Tech a call! I played 'Tommy' like a fish! There was no way I could consider a career change when I had things so good where I was! I loved it here and would hate to relocate! My friends and family were dear to me and they could hardly do without me! Bit by bit I let Tommy persuade me to at least give the human resources director, Ravi, a call. I made sure he understood that most certainly nothing would come of it but I would keep an open mind! We made plans to meet up the next day for a a few drinks, after I spoke to Ravi. I told Tommy that I had to get back to the office to take a call from 'off shore' and we parted like old friends. He even picked up my tab!

I had a lot of ducks to get in a row if this was going to fly my way. I made a list of what I needed to do and spent the rest of the day checking things off. I would need some business cards and a resume, those would be easy, I could mock something up on my lap top and have the printing done at the office supply store.

I would need a burner phone to take calls at my 'office', and someone to answer them. The burner was easy, you can get one anywhere. The 'receptionist' to answer the calls wouldn't be much harder.

I called up Mercedes, a bit of trim I had on the side, and she agreed to help me. She owed me for the cruise I'd taken her on. If things panned out I promised to take her with me this time too. No chance of that happening! The last and the easiest thing on my list was to appear the part, I'd always been good at that. All I needed was a shoe shine and a dry cleaner.

The next day I pulled out Tommy's business card and called called Machro-Tech, the switchboard patched me through to Ravi's extension that Tommy had written on the back of his card. I had a great conversation with Ravi, he was expecting my call, thanks to my new pal! I explained to him that I was not actually looking for a new opportunity but had called as a favour to Tommy. Ravi couldn't hide his disappointment, Tommy must have done quite the job building me up. I did commit to at least faxing over my resume and a further discussion with him later. My resume was a plausible work of imaginative fiction, a masterpiece! My work history was a catalogue of spectacular accomplishments and stunning achievements. To make it difficult for anyone to do a fact-check I referenced dead or retired executives as contacts, isn't Google a wonderful thing! This might just work!

I met up with Tommy at the same bar, but this time we sat in a quiet booth at the back. Tommy was glum, he'd spoken to Ravi that morning and the position that Ravi, after reading my resume, had in mind for me was in Asia, India to be exact. Tommy knew that I would never take a position so far from home and he felt bad for wasting my time!

I had to think fast! I couldn't let this chance slip away because of my own hyperbole! "India you say, India! I've always wanted to go there but have never had the time to do it right, It would take months to see it properly and absorb the culture!" Before the desperate nature of my current situation the last thing I would ever have considered was a trip to India. It was just another place full of Pakis, I know Indians aren't Pakis but if it looks like a duck...

Tommy brightened, "That's great Roger! Look, I know you have it good now but this is such a great opportunity, think how good some experience in Asia would look on your CV. You should at the very least give Ravi a chance to tell you about the job! There's nothing for you to lose, right?

He had that right, in fact this might be my only chance for a win! " Tell you what Tommy, ask Ravi to give me a call this afternoon, no promises, but I'll keep an open mind, to tell you the truth I'm sort of intrigued! I've got to get back to my office but I'm looking forward to Ravi's call." We shook hands, Tommy caught a cab to the airport and I went off to await my call at Mercedes apartment, my temporary office. I was crashing there anyway.

The call with Ravi went better then it could have in my wildest of dreams! I hemmed and hawed and put him off as politely as possible, I ducked and dodged, I gave him every reason in the world why I couldn't possibly abandon my safe career to risk everything on a new one in a foreign country.

Before he gave up I let him talk me into flying out to meet the management team before I made a final decision. Ravi would make the travel arrangements, I insisted on business class, all I would have to do was get to the airport and check in. This was too easy!

As promised my ticket was waiting for me and I breezed through security, I was nervous about that, no warrants yet. If I could stay off the radar any interest law enforcement had in me would quickly wane and then disappear all together. Only distance, and a lot of it, would save me from my gambling associates, they would never forget.

Tommy met me on arrival, we chatted while we waited for my luggage to appear. He was going to take me on a tour of Machro-Tech and introduce me to some of the company execs and then for a round of golf and an informal discussion with an important VP.

Machro-Tech's building was impressive, a modern glass tower with gold mirrored windows. As we entered Ravi met us in the front atrium and ushered us up to his office, we had a detailed discussion about the position I was 'considering'. In short they needed someone to monitor their operations in India and basically just make sure everything was on the up and up. The proposed compensation and benefits package was stunning! I couldn't hide hide my surprise, believe me I tried. At this point in the exercise I began to 'waver' in my loyalty to my current position and to commit to some 'serious consideration' of this one, I had a lot to think about after all. The meeting closed on a positive note and I solemnly thanked Ravi for the opportunity while shaking his hand. What a maroon!

We were scheduled for a late afternoon tee time so we had to hurry over to the presidents office. We only had time for a brief introduction, Tommy presented me to Mr. Vinge as the 'hot new prospect' he'd been telling him about. Mr Vinge shook my hand and welcomed me aboard like it was a done deal.

The golf coarse was just a small component of an exclusive country club, I probably wouldn't even be allowed on the grounds without an invitation from our host, Jim Sullivan, Jim was Machro-Tech's sales VP, a key man in the organization. Tommy explained that Jim would be a good person to fill me in on the benefits that a career with his firm could bring, no one taking an even casual glance at this place would need much convincing of that. During the front nine I allowed myself to be persuaded and by the end of the back nine I was fully on board. I would take the job!

I was needed In India as soon as possible but everyone understood that I needed some time to wrap up my business and personal concerns and arrange for the maintenance of my property, since I was self employed there was no notice to give or any legal entanglements, what a laugh! I promised to get my affairs in order by the middle of next week and be in India by Friday, Ravi would make all the arrangements and would meet me when I landed in New Delhi. The only asset I did have to think about was the house I owned with my ex, with the large down payment her father had contributed towards its purchase and the rising property values in the neighborhood, there was bound to be a sizable amount of equity in the property. No matter, she couldn't sell it until we were divorced and I signed off on it. I would let her pay the property taxes and up-keep on the house until I was ready to cash out! What a winning investment strategy!

Soon I would be flying away on all my problems and start a new chapter in my life, I'd played a lucky streak all the way to the jackpot!

The first thing Ravi did when we met at arrivals was to warn me about the heat, nothing could have prepared me, he should have saved his time. The air was heavy and oppressive, I felt like my own breath was suffocating me. In our cab, thank god for air conditioning, he gave me a credit card to check into my hotel with and an envelope full of cash. I would start my duties on Monday so he advised me to spend the weekend getting acclimatized.

I was staying, at Machro-Tech's expense, at a luxury hotel that catered to mostly international guests until I could get set up in an apartment, also on Machro-Tech's dime. I checked into my hotel and had a nap, the travel had been exhausting! My snooze turned out to be twelve hour long and I felt refreshed and ready to spend some of my envelope full of cash exploring, and exploiting the city!

Either it was cooler today or I had gotten used to the heat. I spent my first day seeing the sights and looking for some action and oh boy did I find it! There was everything here, women and parties, cards, dice, you name it, I found it! I took full advantage of my weekend, Ravi would pick me up Monday morning but this was my time!

Monday morning announced it's self by Ravi banging on my door, but it wasn't Ravi, it was the fucking cops! What did these ass-hats want?

They wanted me! I was under arrest for credit card fraud and passing counterfeit bills! There had to be some mistake and I told them so, again and again! Per usual the cops didn't listen to me, and this time there really was a mistake. What the fuck? This couldn't be happening, I asserted my innocence so assertively that I spent the night handcuffed to a hospital gurney. When I woke up my tongue took a census of my teeth and discovered a population decrease.

My arraignment, about an hour after I met my lawyer was a slam dunk, I was the ball that would leave bounds if not kept in the penalty box. My persecutor, or the public prosecutor, as they are known here, had a whole file of evidence and a crowd of angry complainants arrayed against me. No bail bond for me. At least I had a chance to give my side of the story to my newly appointed lawyer. At this point my situation looking bad and my only hope was for my lawyer to understand my case and be able to present it convincingly. He had to be convinced himself if he was going to be able to win over a judge. So I told him my side of the story, starting with my chance meeting with Tom Fairchild. My lawyer made notes and asked me questions as I lead him along the path that brought me here. I gave him as much detail as I could, including all the contact information I could remember for the people at Machro-Tech. It occurred to me that the Canadian embassy should be called, maybe they could help. It turns out that our embassy is called a High Commission, my lawyer promised to contact them and arrange a consular visit. After speaking with my lawyer my spirits rose a little, perhaps my position was not as bleak as it seemed.

The next time I saw my lawyer my situation went from bleak to nearly hopeless. He'd followed up on the information I'd given him, all the facts that would exonerate me, and no one would corroborate my story! He seemed exasperated, "Why would you lie to me, nothing you told me is true. No one at Machro-Tech has ever heard of you, in fact the HR directors name is Miss Hill, not Ravi, Jim Sullivan is retired, the president of the company knows nothing about you and Tom Fairchild has never met you! Not only that but there are warrants for your arrest in Canada , some of the charges are similar to those you face here! Did you think you could flee to India and elude justice? Your only hope is to plead guilty and hope the judge is merciful, you should expect a harsh sentence!"

Just when I thought things couldn't get worst, they did. I received a consular visit from a local employee of the commission, she was no help at all and aside from the occasional welfare check, there was nothing they could do for me. I was not being kept in the black hole of Calcutta but the darkness was getting deeper. As she got ready to leave any hope I had left died when she leaned in close and whispered, "I do have a message for you though, Danielle and Shelly give their regards."

The realization washed over me like a tidal wave, the devil himself had set me up and the devils name is Tom Fair child!