The Devil in Paris

Story Info
18th century Devils in Paris with camel.
6.5k words
2.33
10.6k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Teela100
Teela100
8 Followers

Madame Gormosy is a Devil. She can change her sex at will, from Louise Gormosy to Louis Gormosy. John Garret is also a Devil, but not so powerful. They have known each other for centuries as devils generally do. The scene is Paris, in the 1770s.

*

CHAPTER ONE

Madame Louise Gormosy stood by the tall window, looking down at the rain-slicked street. Paris was cold and dreary this spring. Wood had gone up in price, and a timely delivery was a matter of bribes. That would be the concern of her steward, but he had disappeared. Already her servants were breaking up small cabinets and chairs to burn in the main salon and kitchen. She could hear the smashing of wood somewhere in the large apartment.

Madame shivered for the room was chilly. She was used to a higher heat.* Ah, she thought, if ever I see him again, I will make him pay with his life for my discomfort. I will tear his stomach open with my nails and cook his liver.*

She had a visitor, a sullen-looking Englishman now with his large frame stretched across her sofa. John Garrett had been a friend for many years. He was an easy-going devil and good company when in the proper temper. She looked at him with a sideways glance, a smile forming on her painted lips. Patting her high-dressed hair and smoothing the gray satin front of her gown, she wondered what had put him in such a mood. She remembered he was quite a wit when not bothered with serious thought. She hoped he would reform his manners, for she wanted nothing to spoil the afternoon. The rain could not be helped.

"John Garrett!" Madame's natural voice was low pitched but now showed her exasperation. "Are you going to continue your gloom and attempt to sour my day?"

Garrett, his eyes drawn slowly from the low burning flames of a fire that barely reached outside the hearth, looked up at her. He stared for a long minute, a sneer forming on his handsome face.

"We are alone," Garrett said quietly. "I know you better as "Louis". Why this behavior between two old friends?"

Madame did not answer him. She walked to the double door, locked it and threw the key into his lap. For a moment she stood there, with her head cocked to the side, an elegant older women, dressed in the latest fashion, and only a sharp rise in the middle of her skirt gave warning of what was to happen.

In an instant, "Louise Gormosy" was "Louis Gormosy". Gone was Madame's satin overdress, the high coifed and perfumed hair. A bit of the makeup remained, but it was the fashion amongst Parisian men. Louis laughed at the expression on Garrett's face. He now was a slight-figured man, above middle age, with powdered hair and white silk stockings, like any other Parisian gentlemen of current fashion.

John Garrett knew his friend was not just any man in Paris. He was a demon, an important one, the Archduke Demon of Lust, with sixty legions under his command.

Louis Gormosy had ridden out of Hell on a white camel and tormented the earth. It could not be helped; it was his nature to do so.

* Ah, he thought, I miss my camel... along with my legions, but tant pis! Paris' cobblestones were hard on her aging hooves.* He was a powerful denizen of Hell, and with status, came responsibilities.

His guest, John Garrett, was also a demon, but not of the same stature. Louis Gormosy was not sure of Garrett's actual position in Hell, but knew him to have the patronage of the powerful Archduke Abigor, close to the throne. With friends like that, even the powerful Demon of Lust had to watch his hoof. The thought of Abigor's name sent shivers down Gormosy's ossified spine. Hell was a place of no forgiveness, and even a cinder rolled by accident under the foot of another would throw into motion an endless vendetta. There was no accounting for the spitefulness of devils. It was mother's milk to them.

Louis Gormosy chuckled at his guest's surprised expression seeing his transformation.

"Oh come, John, surely you are getting used to my little trick? Non? Well then, I have another reason to invite you here, beside the parlor trick. This evening I am expecting some guests, and I have a particular reason for you to meet them."

John Garrett sat up, stretching his legs. "Are you planning a little entertainment this evening? You know, Louis, one never can tell with you." His expressive face registered his suspicion.

Louis Gormosy lay a finger aside his nose and winked. "You have come at a good time, John. I expect a young womanactually. She is the daughter of a neighbor in the country. She is eighteen and her mother is anxious to have her married."

"I am almost afraid to ask, Louis. What part do you play? "

John Garrett looked at his friend from half-closed lids, like a cat settling in for a long story.

Monsieur Gormosy walked to the window and looked out at the still pouring rain. He turned his head slightly and gave Garrett a nervous smile before peering down at the street, watching for a carriage to stop at his door.

"Madame Luciern is a silly woman, a bit more stupid than usual. She has a daughter on her hands she complains is a 'bookworm'. Ah! Bon Dieu! So the young woman will educate herself with novels and newsprint. Tant pis!"

Louis Gormosy threw up his hands in disgust. The words "Good God" had a strange sound in his mouth, just shy of a gurgle.

"You still don't tell me what your part is in this affair."

Gormosy turned and looked at his friend. "Better you ask me what your part is."

John Garrett sucked his breath in sharply, and let out with a soft "Oh no, Louis!"

Louis gestured with his hands outward, all Gallic charm, and continued his appeal. "What is a little fun amongst devils, neh? You have certain...ah...attributes that I unfortunately, do not have."

"The starch issue again, Louis?" Garrett's words rattled Louis and he winced.

"Quel dommage! I don't know if this is a little trick of Heaven or Hell, John, but it persists. I begin the attack, a few thrusts with the sword, and even with one parry, -I wilt."

*And, thought Louis sadly, it always came down to what devil had more 'reach'. It always came down to a measurement. Here on earth the length of the cock, and in Hell, the amount of control.*

For a brief moment, he consoled himself with a quick fantasy, of hiding in the draperies, watching Garrett hunched over Mlle, spread eagle on the bed, whimpering in terror, awaiting with no rescue the huge and purple member John possessed. Louis had seen the weapon before, in another century perhaps. He was surprised to realize that this thought created a twitch in his own.

Was it the defilement of Mlle or the masculine appearance of Garrett that created this twitch? No matter, devils did not distinguish between such issues. It was all of a piece.

And about this little sprinkling of starch? Miracles of miracles... there was hope yet!

"So, what is your plan and why should I care?"

Monsieur bit on the side of his thumb, thinking how to present his case.

"I have not seen the young woman. Her mother keeps her well hidden in the house. If she is a bookworm as the mother says, perhaps any attempt here in Paris to marry her off will be impossible. Perhaps she is ugly!"

"Or perhaps she has no bosom," said Garrett from his sofa, eyes wandering back to the fire.

"Or perhaps she has a harelip!" said Gormosy. "What do I know? I have not seen the poor girl."

With a grimace, Gormosy shook out his hand. He had bitten deeply into his flesh, and blood spurted from his thumb.

Garrett asked, "Does she have a good fortune?"

"Non, unfortunately not. Madame Luciern is a widow and her estate is lessened with the behavior of her oldest son. That young man has no sense at cards...and worse luck! I would give him some pointers in faro, but I do not cheat at cards."

What a big lie, thought Louis, laughing to himself. There was honor amongst devils but not at cards. What was the worse that could happen? A duel, you die, you come back fresh and new, with another chance to cheat life. And at cards.

"But!" continued Louis, raising a finger into the air for dramatic emphasis. "She has an honorable name! That is worth something, I think."

"Hah," said Garrett. "Perhaps of worth to mortals. But it is something."

The blood continued to spurt from Gormosy's thumb. "Merde". He pulled a sooty linen handkerchief from his pocket and wrapped up his thumb.

"So, what do you intend to do with Mademoiselle?" Garrett queried, "Do you have a cuckold in mind?"

"Why would he be a cuckold, mon ami? I have all intention of marrying her to someone worthy and with a good fortune."

"And if she is not marriageable due to this harelip or flat bosom? What do you intend then for Mademoiselle?" asked Garrett.

"I intend to make her a whore."

There. It was out, thought Gormosy. Let him chew on that. There was profit to be made here, and he, Louis, would take the advantage.

"Why do you need me?" John Garrett's eyes half closed again as he looked at his friend who was grinning broadly.

" If I can not obtain an acceptable offer, I will need your --ah, efforts, John."

"Meaning? Come Louis, do not make me beat it out of you."

"You will seduce her. You will make her more pliable for her gentleman callers...I, of course, will revert back to Madame, for this is all her mother knows of me, and you will play..."

"Hold on, Louis. Do you or don't you intend to get her a husband?"

"How should I know?" Louis Gormosy gave a shrug of his shoulders and presented his palms upward.

"I don't know if she has a harelip or an unfortunate bosom," he said. " We both, my old friend, will find out this evening."

CHAPTER TWO

John Garrett stood at the window looking out at the rain when he heard the knock on the door. He watched Louis cross his hands over his breast and shake his head violently. Louis became Louise again. Voila! Her high coifed powdered hair, the satin dress, the tight corset and breasts returned. As many times as he witnessed this transformation, it always took him by surprise. Louis was one tricky devil. A snap of Louis' fingers and the door unlocked.

Garrett watched Madame and Mlle. Luciern entered the room, Madame like a clipper ship in full rig. Madame was a short, plump woman, middle- aged, with powdered hair that showed the effects of the rain. Her dark plum, satin gown was ten years out of fashion. She wore little face powder and there were honest wrinkles and age-spots enough to signify that Madame was no longer young. Kissing Louise on both cheeks she shook herself, rather like a hen ruffling her feathers. Louise gestured for her to sit.

Garrett listened to Madame Luciern introduce her daughter to her hostess. Louise took the young woman's hands in hers, studying her carefully and called for him to come be introduced.

Garrett bowed over Madame Luciern's hand and watched her face color with delight. Mlle Luciern had no such reaction to his presence. Her face remained expressionless.

Taking a chair across from Mlle, he listened to Louise Gormosy ask the mother questions about their trip from the countryside. The two older women were soon lost in chatter and he had a chance to observe the silent young woman.

His first impression of Mlle was favorable. She was slender, with an underdeveloped bosom, a fine complexion and a pretty mouth. She did look like a bookworm, he thought with a chuckle. She had a serious demeanor, with pale gray eyes and dark brows that did not arch in the necessary fashion. Fine brown hair pulled into a simple unadorned bun exposed a slender neck. He was curious. He had his fill of coquettes and fashionable young women in Paris. They were of a general order, all schooled in manners to attract a man's attention and hold it captive for an afternoon. Their charms passed through him like water. How bored he had become with the women of Paris!

In Mlle Luciern he saw something different. Something intriguing and virginal, but virginity had little value in Paris. He laughed to himself. Virtue was good for children but pointless in an attractive woman. Already the gloom of his mood was lifting in the presence of a rather mysterious young woman.

The two Madames were lost in conversation and twittering with laughter as old friends do. Both her mother and Louise seemingly forgot Mlle. Her face was politely blank, trained to assume a mask in company, but Garrett could see she was not empty of thought. Her fine eyes narrowed as she listened to her mother and Louise rattle on and a pained look cracked the mask.

"You have been in Paris before?" Garrett's voice was low enough to not disturb the chatter of the two older women. Mlle Luciern turned her gray eyes to his and answered his question quietly, with little interest reflected in her voice.

"Oui, Monsieur, I have visited Paris before, but not recently. I was a girl when I was last here." Her voice was almost husky, and the pitch of it surprised him. Most young women were taught to have 'musical' voices in company, to laugh as affectedly as a tinkling bell. Mlle Luciern seemed unspoiled by such manners.

He did not have a chance to question her further, for the sound of Mlle's voice made her mother remember her.

"M. Garrett", said Madame with a bright smile. "Margot-Elisabeth was a little girl the last time we were here, only about twelve. She is now nineteen years of age, and a stay with Madame Gormosy will bring some color to her cheeks and some polish to her manners. Ah, Bon Dieu! The countryside is good for virtue but there is little opportunity were we live to make her a wife!"

Mlle Luciern's face showed distress at her mother's words. Garrett saw how Madame Gormosy's eyes glittered.

"Ah, my dear Marie," Gormosy said to the mother. "We will polish the apple and find her a mate. She has promise, but is too pale in the face. Perhaps a bit of rouge and the labors of my hairdresser?"

Madame Luciern laughed out loud at Gormosy's words. "Bon chance, Louise! I can barely get Margot-Elisabeth to brush her hair!"

Poor Mlle Luciern blushed at her mother's words and Garrett suppressed a smile. Margot meant 'pearl' and this one would need quite a bit of polish to catch a husband in Paris.

Garrett tried to make small conversation with Mlle but she was now as shy as unpolished. The two older women chatted away without stopping for breath and the conversation was all about Margot-Elisabeth, unconcerned with her growing discomfort.

Garrett heard the amount of funds pledged by Madame Luciern to Gormosy, and almost whistled aloud. A dressmaker would be sent for immediately.

"Ah, Louise," said Madame Luciern with a look of gratitude. "You work your magic with Margot-Elisabeth. In your competent hands I am sure she will bloom."

Garrett wondered how much 'magic' would be needed by Louise, and how her mother would react if she knew the source of Madame's....ah, magic.

How droll it was. Mother Luciern to leave her precious daughter in the hands of a devil. All the rosaries in France would not amount to a hill of shit once Louise got her claws into the prey.

Garrett laughed to himself. Tant pis! The bargain was struck. The Devil would have his due.

CHAPTER THREE

A week later, John Garrett was shown into Madame's apartment by an old servant. He glanced at the dark and wizened man and smelled brimstone. Madame was known to choose her servants carefully. Life could be a subterranean maze in Paris. He knew other demons in the city and all were not friendly devils.

"Ah, John! Bonjour!" Madame was drinking tea with a young woman, one Garrett did not immediately recognize.

"You remember Mlle. Luciern? What changes we have wrought! Such an elegant young woman. What man in his right mind could resist her! Could you, John?"

Ah, thought Garrett. Madame is up to her old tricks. She insists in making me part of her plan for this young woman.

Madame's eyes glittered as she turned to look at the young woman sitting across the tea table. Garrett bowed over the proffered hand of Louise, and then stood back to look at Mlle. Luciern.

Madame had indeed worked her magic. Mlle. was coifed and gowned like a young, elegant Parisian matron. He admired her hair, piled high on her head, with many curls and loops and one long curled tendril- like, a thick sausage over her shoulder. At least Madame's hairdresser had forgone the powder and her natural color was preserved. Mlle's complexion was good but now she had some bloom in her cheeks. He knew this was all art, for Louise was an expert with faces and makeup. He saw Mlle. had only two black satin patches on her face, one near the left eye, and one near the mouth, to draw attention to her painted lips. They did look alluring to him. They looked like they were stung by an amorous bee.

Garrett cocked his head to the side and let his gaze travel down her figure. Her morning dress was light blue silk. Ruffles framed her breast. Garrett let his eyes linger only a second, but Mlle. did present a lovely bosom to onlookers. He knew this was due to more of Madame's magic -- this time with pads in the corset. Round, delicate mounds above and the merest of rouged nipples appeared like little mouse noses peeking over the tops of the corset. Such was the fashion for seduction. He wondered how far Madame had corrupted her student.

"No, Madame Gormosy, no man could resist such a beautiful young woman."

Garrett was surprised to see Margot blush so deeply. At least Madame's instructions had not destroyed this vestige of virtue in the girl.

"Mlle. is an good student, John. She learns fast and takes an interest in her future. Her mother will be proud of her. We will get her matched up with the proper husband soon enough. But as I have told Mlle. Margot, there is plenty time for an engagement. Now is to be given to sharpening her feminine skills. That way she will attract the best prospect for her future happiness. Mais bon Dieu! She is still so young and innocent. We must hone her wit and deportment. Nothing like the polish upon an apple to attract the proper bites."

Garrett stared at Madame Gormosy. He could easily see through her designs, but of course, the young woman was too naïve to understand what was happening right under her nose. She was a pretty morsel, and it was hard to take his eyes from parts of her. The swell of her breast, how gently they rose with an almost imperceptible movement. He could feast his eyes on those two tender pieces of flesh all morning. How much more alluring they would be if she were panting, he thought. A sly smile appeared on his face.

Ah, Madame Gormosy was full of devilry this morning.

Louise Gormosy spoke with a tone of excitement. "Today we will work on the great science of "coquetry". Non, M. Garrett, do not laugh, for women have their own science. Let the men work with fire and chemicals. We women have our own fire and it is called "Les Passions!"

Garrett winced and hoped Mlle. Margot would forgive the bad prose of her patroness. But Madame would press her case.

"Surely Mlle. Margot has higher aspirations than to be a housewife to her husband. It is a most contemptible and unfashionable position for any women of breeding, and has no social standing except for a parson's wife or a lowly farmer's. Ah Dieu! Mlle. is made by nature for much finer things!"

Garrett wondered if the word "God" did not burn the inside of Madame's mouth, but since she was an old devil, he imagined she would have a mouth immune to heat. Still, he had heard this speech before, but he could not remember when. Perhaps it was another time in another century, while attending Madame under similar circumstances, that she had used these same words. They seemed familiar to him in any case. He heard her drone on.

"Now, Mlle. Margot, advice today is seen as ridiculous to be given, and even more ridiculous to be taken, but your dear maman would want you to listen to me very closely. Alors! She has given you into my hands for more than to fluff your beautiful hair and plump your fine bosom. It is her choicest desire to prepare you for entrance into the best of society and this is the path to catch the eyes of a husband. Have you read Madame d'Effine's letters? Non? Pity. But I can supply you a copy of her book. Or better yet, I can give you the benefit of my long experience."

Teela100
Teela100
8 Followers
12