The Divide

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gweall
Gweall
900 Followers

"It is when my father dies or steps down from his duties, but he thinks that because he's older than my father he deserves it."

"Doesn't he? From what I know about human customs, the eldest child gets the throne."

"As long as they can reproduce they do, and my uncle is infertile. He cant have children therefore there's

no one to take the throne when he dies, so it was

given to my father." Terrin explained.

"I see." Zan pondered the situation quietly for a second. "And what do you plan to do when you get there?"

"Tell my father what's happened, expose my uncle and take my rightful place at the throne."

"Your father is about to step down from the throne, is he not?"

"A few more years, yes."

"I see...Terrin, has it ever occured to you

that-"

"There, the castle. There will be guards there but they wont have any long range weapons with them so you'll be fine as long as you stay off the

ground. There's a large window in the roof leading to my fathers throne room, break through it and we'll land right there." Terrin said.

"Very well." Zan didn't continue with what he was saying, instead, he banked hard to the right and flew over the grassy highlands. His shadow scared the horses and cows roaming below, and a few soldiers guarding the fields pointed up at him in

fear.

"Terrin..." Zans voice shook in his head.

"What?" Terrin asked, eyes

pointed straight at his castle.

"I'm scared..." The words from the behemoth of a dragon were almost comical, but Terrin could hear the fear in his voice.

"It'll be okay, I'll talk to them. I won't let them hurt you." He stroked the large scales on the dragon's neck. Zan was silent. Suddenly, he turned upwards and flew in a straight line towards the heavens. He gained a good deal in altitude before turning and heading towards the large window in the top of the castle. He could see the throne in the back of the room, and tried to stay away from it, he didn't want to squish anyone afterall. He opened his wings before he hit the window to slow his fall, and felt the glass shatter beneath his feet. He landed with a thud on his hind legs and steadied himself with his wings. Half of the palace guards must have rushed in and before they could do anything Terrin jumped off of the dragon's back and drew his own sword.

"No one touch the dragon or you answer to me!" He shouted of the roar of confusion and fear. The guards froze, none of them removing their eyes from the dragon who shifted uneasily in the room that barely contained him.

"Father!" Terrin shouted and ran behind Zan's hind leg to get

to the throne. He ducked under his

tail and faced the empty throne.

"Where is my father?" He turned to the guards, who were silent. "Where is the king?" He shouted. One of the guards turned away from the behemoth in the throne room and stuttered a reply.

"Your father is in the fields. Near the Divide. He was looking for you, sir...." The soldiers mouth went dry when Zan made an uncomfortable screech.

"Quiet, Zan. And my uncle?" Terrin put a

hand on the beasts leg to calm him.

"Is with him." The guards spoke.

"Get to them, as quickly as you can. Take Stormbringer if you must, my uncle has commited treason, he attempted to kill me, GO!" He shouted and quickly ran up the slope of Zan's wing, onto his bag and held tight as the dragon took off.

"We need to get to them, I have to tell my father what's going on."

"Terrin, did you ever think that your uncle might be.... a bit impatient."

"How do you mean?"

"I mean, why would he wait a few years, when he could have the throne now?"

"He can't, with my father still alive he-... No, my father!" the realization hit Terrin and he encouraged Zan to go faster.

"Go! We need to get to them! Hurry Zan!" He turned to see half of the palace guards galloping after them. The head guard who Terrin had spoken to was riding

Stormbringer, and though she wasnt as

fast as when Terrin would ride her, she was almost matching pace with the dragon. Terrin could see a small group of people in the distance and he could feel the tension as his father neared the edge of the cliff. He looked over the Divide and he saw his uncle draw his sword, while still mounted on his horse.

"No..." Terrin whispered, not even Zan could hear him. His uncle drew his sword

back.

"No!" Terrin cried, and his uncle's sword slashed through the air.

"NO!" Terrin screamed. His father turned in time for the blade to be burried into his shoulder. Terrin was close enough to see his face go pale, and he watched as he lost his balance and slipped off his horse,

and into the Divide.

"Zan!"

"I've got

him." Zan promise and dived over the Divide. He

chased the falling body of Terrin's father and, when he was close enough, opened his mouth and scooped up the king. He shut his mouth gently, making sure not to bite him, but keeping him safe. He pulled up and glided back up to the top of the Divide. There, the guards were attop their horses and his uncle sneered at him.

"You should be dead!" He growled.

"Arrest him!" Terrin shouted at the palace guards who just arrived. They did as they were told but then hesitated.

"What are you doing? Look! The boy is corrupt, he's working with Dragons! I saw the beast swallow the king whole!"

"You pushed him!"

"He fell, and your pet beast ate him!" His uncle shouted. The guards stared at Terrin expectedly. Zan bent his head and opened his mouth, gently placing the king on the grass. Terrin jumped down and went to his fathers aid.

"Father?"

"Terrin, you... fell..."

The king gasped.

"I was pushed father, by uncle." Terrin tried to keep the tears from falling but to no avail.

"I should have known." The king coughed and held the large wound in his shoulder.

"It's not your fault, I didn't know until he did it."

"He...attacked

me?"

"Yes, but you're going to be alright, we'll get you help." Terrin looked around but didn't know what to look for.

"Is that a...." The king pointed up at Zan.

"Yes, but he's a friend. Don't worry." Terrin smiled.

"A friend, you've made friends with a dragon?"

"It's a long story, we need to get you help." Terrin stood. "Zan, can you give him a ride to the palace? There's doctors there, they can help him." Terrin begged.

"Of course." Zan laid down on the ground and Terrin called over several guards who helped the king onto the back

of the red behemoth.

"You, ride with them and see to it that my father is safe." Terrin pointed to the guard who had brought Stormbringer.

"Me?" The guard went pale. "On that?" He pointed to Zan.

"Him." Terrin warned. "His name is Zan, he'll take good care of you and my father, now go." he nodded.

"Come on then." Zan nodded at the guard, who put a hand to his head.

"It talks..."

"He." Terrin repeated.

"Right... He." The guard crawled onto his back behind the king slowly, and swallowed.

"Alright...Uh...I'm ready." Zan stood and took off, the screams of the guard fading into the distance.

"How are you still alive?" Terrin's uncle questioned.

"You'd be surprised how forgiving a dragon is when you fall on it's back." Terrin smiled.

"What? You fell on it's- What are the odds of- forget it!" His uncle shouted. "It will turn on you, they're ruthless beings. You can't befriend something that isn't human."

"You know what separates Humans from Dragons?" Terrin asked. His uncle only glared expectedly.

"Dragons understand that humanity isn't a species, it's a state of mind." Terrin smiled. "Take him to the jail. And assemble all of the guard and the kingdom in front of the palace." Terrin said. He climbed upon the back of his beloved horse and galloped towards the palace with the speed of a soaring red dragon. But it wasn't the same as the real thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of the

palace had seen the dragon. They were afraid it was an

invasion, that the war would start again. When the red behemoth landed it's scaley feet on the stones in front of the palaces greatest doctors home, the king was brought down by a knight bearing the colors of the kingdom.

"Everyone to the palace courtyard! Now! Royal Guard and all!" The guard shouted as he carried the king into the home of the doctor. Everyone stood motionless at the great lizard on the cobblestone walkway. Horses were frozen in their tracks, their riders, the guards, the citizens of the kingdom, it seemed even the air itself had frozen. Zan knew he should get back to Terrin, but even he had frozen under the stare of hundereds of people.

"To the kingdom, now!" The guard shouted.

"You have no horse, I assume

you will be wanting a ride there?" Zan

spoke to the guard who nearly jumped in fright.

"Yes, if you would Dragon."

"My name is

Zan." Zan said as he climbed his

wing.

"My apologies, Zan." The guard still seemed terrified of the flying red.

"Apology accepted." Zan smiled inside and took off again. The guard managed to hold back his scream this time, but Zan could feel his muscles tense with fear as the rose above the kingdom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Terrin led his horse through the crowd heading towards

the castle. He saw the great shadow of Zan fly over him and looked up in time to see the great behemoth pass behind a building, blocking him from sight. He galloped until he reached the doctors home. Without even making sure Stormbringer was tied to a post, he dashed inside.

"Father?" He called out, looking through the house.

"In here, my prince." The doctor called out. Terrin followed the voice through the house and found his father on the table used for patients.

"How is he?"

"I think he'll live. But it's a bad wound." The doctor soaked a rag in warm water by his side, and then continued dabbing at the wound.

"Terrin..." The king gasped.

"I'm here, father." Terrin went to where his father could see him.

"You need to do something for me."

"Just wait until the doctor is finished with you and you can do it yourself." Terrin smiled.

"I'm sure I'll be fine, but it's time for you to take the throne." His father held his hand.

"What? No, you'll live and you'll be able to lead your people as you always have." Terrin said, trying not to cry.

"I know I will make a recovery. But until then, I'm in no condition to rule, and judging by the way you made it back home, I'm sure the kingdom needs a strong leader right now." The king said.

"Father, I can explain I-"

"No need, I trust in what you've done and what you plan to do. You've proven to me that you're far more mature than any of us had made you out to be, and that you're ready to take over."

"But Father, I-"

"You must do this, my son. It's your time to rule." The king said. Terrin was silent for a moment.

"I'll do my best, father." Terrin promised.

"I know, you will. Now go make me proud and rule this kingdom as I would."

"I planned on giving a speech to the kingdom, will you be able to hear it?"

"I will." The king swore.

"I need to go."

"Go then, and change the world." The king said, as if he knew what his son had been thinking about since he met the great dragon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Terrin led Stormbringer directly into the palace. Her hooves made an unusual sound against the stone tiles the floor was made of. She was

forced to slow down for the turns through the hallway, the floor was not built to

keep a horse from sliding. He dismounted as he reached the stairs that led to the large balcony used for speeches made by the king or generals. He climbed the stairs swiftly and reached the balcony as the last of the huge crowd filled the courtyard. Zan hovered above the crowd, kicking up dirt and leaves that had fallen from the tree's.

"Zan, land on the castle." He shouted over the roar of the wind from the dragon's wings and the confusion of the crowd. Luckily Zan heard him and he dug his claws into one of the pointed spires of the castle. He slid down a little bit, digging claw marks into the tiles of

the roof. The screams of

the people could be heard easier now, and some pointed. Women fainted dramatically, men held their swords tight, children cowered behind their parents.

"The king was attacked!" Terrin said, to get the peoples attention. The kingdom went silent. The only sound was Zan, trying to keep from falling off the tower not meant to hold a dragon.

"My uncle committed treason. He attempted to kill me and then my father." The kingdom was still silent.

"I know the guards who assisted him, and I'm telling you now that all of you will be brought to justice." Terrin said.

"My father is alive, but injured. He has passed the throne on to me." A few voices rose up, chattering with each other about what was happening. Terrin saw Zan turn his head, surprised at the announcment.

"I am your new King...." Terrin said, surprised at the words coming out of his mouth. All was quiet for a long moment until the guard who had ridden Zan to the doctors stepped forward.

"All hail King Terrin!" He shouted. Another moment of silence passed before the entire kingdom cheered. People bowed and some cried.

"Congradulations, your highness." Zan whispered in his head. Terrin turned towards him and smiled, remembering why he was really up here.

"There's more!" Terrin screamed over he crowd, though nobody heard him. He waited for the cheering to die down but it didn't. "Zan, could

you help me out here?" He saw the

giant red dragon open his mouth as he enhaled, and let forth a roar loud enough to shake the walls of the palace. The crowd was silent.

"There's more." Terrin repeated.

"My uncle pushed me off the Divide, and I should have died. But in a stroke of fate...I landed on the back of a great...red...dragon." Terrin put emphasis on each of the last three words. "My sword cut his wing and we fell. He couldn't

hunt and I couldn't get past the Divide. We made a pact that day, almost a week ago. I would help him make it to the lava pits, and he would fly me home." Terrin let his

words sink in.

"During those five days, we became more than two enemies dealing with each other to get what we want." Terrin was silent again. "We became friends." There was a shocked murmer throughout the crowd.

"You have to understand, everything we thought about them was wrong!" Terrin shouted over the growing roar, and the people began to quiet.

"They're not viscious beasts. They're smarter than you know. They're kind, and they're thoughtful. The night at the lava pits, I stayed with a nest of dragon hatchlings. They're raised in a group setting, all the dragons look over them together. All of them protecting each other." Terrin explained what he had seen.

"They treated me as their own. They made sure I was warm enough and one of the mothers even went out and found me fruit to eat. Zan risked his life more than once for me. Not because he needed me to hunt for him, but because we're friends." Terrin said, looking at the dragon who nodded in agreement.

"I met their queen,

she's so beautiful I can't even put it into words. I spoke to a water dragon. I saw the bones of one who had died protecting her eggs from one of us. I nearly got eaten by an enormous earth dragon who only wanted to protect her nest. I was attacked by harpies, and more mosquitoes than you can count." Terrin grew excited as he realized all of the things he had seen on the short five day journey.

"This whole time, we've seen them as

evil wretched creatures who

are greedy and only want to slay us. But they're not."

"The water dragons sink hundreds of our ships and kill thousands of us every year! What does your friend have to say about that?!" A man shouted from the crowd. Several people nodded in agreement.

"We sail into their waters, their home. We hit them with our ships and crush their nests. We steal food from their hunting grounds, we're doing the provoking! They're only defending themselves!" Terrin shouted.

"So what should we do? Just stop

eating and sailing?" The man scoffed.

"You could speak with us. We can get together to make a map of where it's safe for us to nest, and for you to sail. We can share the oceans, they're a large place." Zan spoke. Terrin's eyes suddenly lit up.

"We can do more than that." He mumbled, the crowd turning to face

him.

"We can work together. We don't need to continue to see each other as enemies, only tolerating each other enough to get our food." Terrin said.

"We can talk to the leaders of the dragons, I can meet with them, we can share the land." Terrin

said. "How much easier would it be if

we could hunt in the swamps? If they could fly in the open air up here? The earth dragons would be amazing allies, the fire dragons are the most powerful things I've ever seen, and the water dragons are beautiful and powerful. How would you feel having an entire whale to feed the kingdom? And being able to sail the waters freely?"

"Terrin..." Zan seemed unsure of this.

"A whale?" The words seemed to sink into the audience, astonished at the thought of being able to feed the entire kingdom with one animal.

"No Divide?" Another wondered, amazed at the thought that the giant cliff seperating the lands could vanish.

"We would be able to get leather from the repitles in the swamps..." Another said.

"And the herbs there would be an amazing contribution to my collections of medicine, theres herbs there I haven't been able to get in years!" The doctor

said.

"Zan, could you take me back? To see the red queen?" Terrin asked.

"I could...But it would be up to all of the dragons. Not just her." Zan explained.

"Then fly ahead. Talk to your queen, and the other leaders. Bring them....To the islands. The ones that are

lines up with the Divide. I'll bring a handful of our

generals and nobles to speak with them." Terrin reasoned.

"You're really serious about this aren't you?" Zan's eyes were wide.

"The time for fighting is over, Zan. It's time that we brought our people together." Terrin smiled. Zan looked at him with shock until a smile settled on his scaly lips.

"You're insane." Zan said, and took off into the air.

"Give me three days, to convince them." Zan called out in Terrin's mind as he flew off.

"You have three days, Zan! Don't disapoint me!" Terrin shouted after the soaring figure of the behemoth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days later

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'This is the longest week of my life' Terrin thought. In seven days he had nearly been murdered, made friends with a dragon, met the queen of the red dragons, gotten home, stopped an assassination, became king, made a speech to his new kingdom, came up with the idea to join two races that hated each other, made an appointment with all of the kings and queens of the dragons, had a court date with his uncle and postponed his trial until after the meeting with the dragons. That's more than anyone should do in a lifetime, much less seven

days.

"Sire, everything is ready for the journey tomorrow." The guard who had flown with Zan said. Since that day Terrin had promoted him to head of the guard, dismissing the previous head for treason. He showed more bravery in the confusing time than anyone else.

"Good... Prepare Stormbringer for yourself." Terrin said.

"But, how will you get there?"

"I have my own ride coming." Terrin smiled. Suddenly a monstrous roar shook the kingdom, and the shadow of the familiar red behemoth was cast over the castle. Terrin smiled and quickly rushed outside just in time to see Zan fly towards the Divide. He hopped onto one of the guard horses, and as the head of the guard followed him he headed towards the steep cliff that still separated the lands. He dismounted while he was a good distance away from the cliff side and smiled as another roar echoed through the air.

Gweall
Gweall
900 Followers