The Dog Talker Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Dinsmore
Dinsmore
1,897 Followers

I haven't had much experience with people like that.

"I know that, dear, sweet Shadow but those days are over."

"What days?" Mary asked. Eric had not realized that he had spoken out loud.

"His days with bad people...cruel, inhuman people. Shadow was put on this earth for a purpose---not to die in a dog shelter in the Midwest!"

"It's as if he understands every word you say."

"He doesn't---not a word. Human speech is just gibberish to him but we all sense that dogs feel or react to our emotions. But he is a very rare one: he understands what I'm thinking—not just the emotion but the actual thoughts. Look. Mary I've probably studied more about dog training than anyone you've ever met. I'd planned to go to vet school but a war and an unplanned family put that out of reach. Most dogs are just dogs----pretty simple creatures with smooth brains the size of lemons. Shadow is that rare one---one in a hundred---a million? His type all too often end up in places like this because they are too smart to put up with abuse. I know what he is thinking---and he knows what I am thinking. He even picks up snatches from others, particularly those who are empathetic toward his species---like you. You may not be able to 'talk' to him but if you try really hard to focus on a single thought...try it."

Mary closed her eyes and was silent for a moment. Shadow stood up, walked to the four drawer file cabinet across the room and carefully opened the second drawer with his teeth. Reaching inside, he found Mary's purse and carefully brought it back to her.

"Thank you, Shadow!" She exclaimed.

"Think it!" Eric said. She closed her eyes again. Shadow nuzzled her folded hands gently and licked her fingers.

"Oh, my God! I don't believe what just happened!"

"It would probably be best for all involved if we kept this episode as our little secret. No one would believe it anyway. Particularly since I wasn't sure that was going to work---it seldom has before. You have a gift, Mary. It's possible that if you worked on it you could take it to the next level---a real conversation. The Rottweiler on the other side is a real gabber."

"You said that Shadow's ability is very rare---how do you train dogs that you can't communicate with?"

"If I'm lucky, I find another dog that I can communicate with and I cheat---I use him or her as the go between. And even then, sometimes the communication is very limited---hardly complete thoughts just very basic images---like charades. Shadow is only the second dog I've ever met with whom I'm able to have very complex interaction. He's probably one in 10,000 or more. When all else fails I try every known dog training technique I know---which is most of them---until I find something that works. Many dogs can't even communicate to any degree among themselves. I do have a theory that in the presence of one like Shadow even the dullards get smarter."

"Who is the other one---you said Shadow was the second dog?"

"She's sitting at home anxiously awaiting my return, lording it over her three companions."

Shadow barked. Eric turned to him.

"We're talking without forming complete thoughts---he can't follow. He's a bit insulted. Let me bring him up to date."

Eric was silent for a few moments as he communicated with Shadow. Then he turned to speak to Mary.

"I'm going to speak slowly so that I consciously form whole thoughts which Shadow can follow. Mary, as weird as it sounds that I can communicate with dogs like Shadow there is something else even more weird. In the canine world, dogs like Shadow are royalty. Somehow they can communicate with each other even over some distance. My female, Samantha, whose ability to communicate rivals Shadow's---she sensed his presence here. I live twelve miles away. She's not sure why she sensed it, certainly didn't know his name or breed but somehow knew there was a special dog here at the shelter---a dog in terrible pain. I had planned to come to the shelter tomorrow; Samantha told me I had to be today---a real sense of urgency."

"Can you read other peoples thoughts too?" Mary inquired.

"Don't I wish! If I could do that I probably wouldn't have an ex-wife."

"Dr. Mason will be quite surprised---and pleased---when she gets back. She doesn't enjoy putting them down any more than I do."

"Are you familiar with Vet Dogs, Mary?"

"Yes of course."

Eric explained to Mary his intent for Shadow's future.

"How long does the training take?"

"It normally takes over a year. I've been part of the training for a dozen Vet dogs. Obviously in Shadow's case it will take less---significantly less---time. I assume there won't be any problem with me adopting Shadow?"

"I pretty much call the shots around here on suitable adoptions. I'm sure we can waive the standard fee in view of what you've accomplished and Shadow's...destiny."

"Nonsense! I'd planned to make a donation anyway. The adoption fee is not an issue."

"Funny...I assumed we were going to be paying you for your services."

"I do accept fees from private dog owners on occasion---when they can well afford it. In turn I always sign the check over to a local charitable vet or shelter. I make a very respectable living in the drug industry; I don't train dogs to make a profit."

"I hear Dr. Mason's car pulling in."

"Shadow does need a complete physical and blood work."

"Dr. Mason can handle that...although we don't have a real lab."

"Let me explain it to him." Eric went silent for a minute.

What will the doctor do, Eric?

Eric spoke out loud, slowly composing whole thoughts. "Listen to your heart, examine your ears, draw blood to be sure you don't have heart worms or any organ deficiencies, examine you for any masses or growths that shouldn't be there, check out your eyes and teeth and possibly x-ray your hips to be sure you don't have any hint of dysphasia."

"Sadly we don't have x-ray equipment here, Eric. It's more than simply the cost of the equipment. We'd have to build a special lined room and have someone on staff with special training. We have a couple of local vets who help us out in cases of emergency."

"I'll take Shadow to my regular vet---who I only met a few weeks ago---if there's any indication. Wait a minute!" Eric turned to Shadow and was silent as he communicated with him. Shadow laid down and stretched his hind legs out straight behind him.

"Does that hurt at all, Shadow?"

Not in the least. It feels quite pleasant. I sense the other ,older woman is close. Why did you have me do this?

"A dog that can lie like that with no discomfort or joint grinding is unlikely to have any hip problems. Sit up for me now and let me check your knees."

Dr. Mason came into the room just as Eric was checking for drawer sign in Shadows left knee. She was somewhat taken aback but recovered quickly.

"I'm Virginia Mason and you must be Eric? Dr. Davis said you were a miracle worker but this is beyond comprehension."

Mary quickly explained what had transpired and spoke of Shadow's future.

I can sense fleeting thoughts from her---the older one. Kind thoughts...relief...joy. Another dog...one that looked like me...somewhere in her past...sadness...loss.

"Shadow seems to believe that you may have once had a Dobe, Doctor---or been very close to one...one you had to put down?"

"Hip dysphasia which led to chronic---debilitating, crippling and horribly painful---arthritis long before the days of modern miracle drugs. She was my first dog out of school. A sweet Dobie female named Thunder. She was only with me for six years and she was in so much pain near the end. I put her down myself. Today she would probably have lived twice as long with just medication. The university hospitals do total hip joint replacements almost routinely. Dr. Davis didn't tell me you were one of those---a dog talker."

"You know something about---believe in it?"

"After over thirty-five years in vet practice I guess I've seen it all. I sold a very lucrative practice a couple of years ago; I work here to keep busy and just help out. I've often sensed communication from certain dogs...more images than thoughts. I even did some random research. There's not a lot in publication since..."

"Most scientists don't believe in telepathy let alone between species?" Eric injected.

"Exactly! I've met a few like you over the years; few would openly admit to the gift but I knew the signs. Shadow...I tried to reach out but got nothing."

"The headaches completely fogged his brain and dulled his ability to communicate. Additionally, Shadow didn't really believe so he didn't really try---until I came into his life."

"Well, let's check this handsome young pup out and make sure everything is as it should me. We don't have a complete lab here so we can't do sophisticated blood workups but we can check for obvious things we can see under the microscope such as heart worms and other larger parasites. I'll draw a second sample and put it in a bag with ice so you can take it to a vet with a lab."

Thankfully Shadow's medical exam showed no serious issues. He was too thin and his unclipped ears needed cleaning but beyond that he as remarkably healthy.

"Well I'd better fill out the adoption papers. Unfortunately I have some responsibilities in my day job this afternoon so I need to get moving."

Can I meet the other dogs---the ones on the other side?

"Shadow would like to meet the dogs on the other side of the building. Would that be okay?"

"I don't see why not. I'll get Jan to get the paper work going and take him over there myself." Mary said.

The front office volunteers and staff were quite surprised when Shadow came through the clinic door walking calmly at Mary's side without a leash. He slowly approached each person and apologized for his previous behavior in that special way dogs do. While Eric filled out the paper work, Shadow met the other canines, spending the bulk of his time chatting with the loquacious Rottweiler. Mary and Shadow returned to the reception area as Eric was writing out a check which he handed to Jan.

"Eric that's ten times the normal adoption fee. You've helped out so much that you don't need to..."

"Jan, I make a good living; life had been very good to me. Both of my children are out of college and in their own careers. I don't have any vices other than canines. Just say thank you."

"Thank you...thank you so much!"

"How long has the Rottweiler been here---Buckeye?"

"Too long." Mary said. "He's about the same age as Shadow, very sweet and very well mannered. He's also a big, black and to many people, scary looking dog...why?"

"Shadow asked me if Buckeye might be a good candidate to become a Vet Dog or even a guide dog. Buckeye doesn't have the level of maturity that Shadow does---never will. He'll always be like that goofy cousin we all have that never really grows up but is a perfect citizen and gentleman. I saw it when I chatted with him. I'm not sure he'd ever have the discipline for guide or service work but he gives off a very happy, joyous vibe. He might make an excellent therapy dog. He's the kind of dog who just makes you smile."

"Shadow asked you?" Jan inquired somewhat incredulously.

"A figure of speech, Jan...or maybe just a gut instinct."

"I see."

"Can I put him on hold? I have a contact at the university hospital in pediatric oncology. There is a special training program for therapy dogs here in the state. It's different and less rigorous than service or guide dog training. I can make some calls when I get home later."

"Buckeye is officially on hold."

"I'll call you first thing in the morning and let you know."

Mary accompanied Eric out to the parking lot with Shadow.

"Did you ever think of becoming a vet, Mary?"

"I started veterinary school but I had to drop out. No family other than a husband who was a better quarterback than husband and provider. Life got in the way. Dr. Mason is on the board at the university vet school. She pulled some strings to get me admitted as a part time student but instead of the typical three years it's going to take a lot longer."

"I'm assuming said quarterback is no longer in the picture."

"An accurate assumption."

"If you could go full time, how long would it take for you to graduate?"

"I'm down to my final year. I have more hands on animal experience---to include minor surgery---than any typical third year vet student but you still have to complete the academic work to get a degree as a DVM."

"My company is pretty generous when it comes to scholarships---particularly for someone coming into their last year who has as much experience as you do. Would you be interested in something like that?"

"There was a time when I'd jump at that kind of opportunity but I'd miss my work here. I get by---financially. With any luck I'll get my degree before Dr. Mason decides to hang up her spurs for good and probably spend the rest of my life here at the shelter. It may not be glamorous but it has its moments...today certainly providing one of the most remarkable ones I can recall. When will we see you again?"

"Soon---I guarantee it! My schedule is pretty flexible. In all honesty well, I wasn't completely honest. I actually helped start the company I'm with. We're being acquired by one of the largest drug distributors in the world. Their headquarters is here which is the other reason I moved here in addition to my brother. I'll hang around for two years to help facilitate the transition and then in all likelihood be out of a job."

"If I'm not being too personal---how old are you, Eric?"

"Forty-nine...and you, Mary?"

"You have almost exactly a decade on me, Eric."

"I wouldn't have guessed."

"You're too kind...and you carry your age quite well, I must say."

"Thank you."

"Where did you say you lived?"

"About twenty minutes from here on the other side of the river."

"Nice area."

"We like it. Samantha is of the sled dog persuasion---she loves the cold winters and the snow. I'm still getting used to it."

"Well, I'd better get back inside and get to work."

"Mary...would you like to come to dinner? I'm a decent cook and I know my pups would love to meet you."

"Well...I...don't want to put you out and..."

"Mary, I don't know anyone here other than the people I work with and I don't want to see most of them outside of work."

"Well...okay...if you're sure. How do I get there?"

Eric reached into his car and grabbed a Google™ map. You just follow these directions backwards. I had to print this off to find the shelter. What time is good for you...six?"

"That'll work...no, make it six thirty. Never get out of here at five and I'd like to go home and change. Although it would seem that I live more or less between the shelter and your home. Six thirty, then?"

"I'll see you then."

"I look forward to it."

Mary's thoughts drifted as she sauntered back into the clinic.

A man. Haven't had one of those in my life for some time. Not sure I want one. It's just dinner. He is kind of cute. He seems nice. He loves dogs...talks to them. Loves what I love. A friend...a friend would be nice...someone to talk about dogs with...just a friend.

As Shadow and Eric drove off, Shadow's thoughts entered Eric's consciousness.

You feel something for her...something more...is it love? Isn't that what you call it?

"Too early for love, Shadow. She's a pretty girl. She likes dogs. She's single and I'm single. It's just dinner. Hopefully we'll be friends. Speaking of which we need to chat about my home environment. Shadow, you're a proud male Doberman Pincher who by breeding expects to assume the leadership role in the pack. The other dogs won't have any real problem with that for the most part---just try not to get heavy handed.

"There is one exception---Samantha. I saved her life; she returned the favor---a story for another time. She is the alpha princess. She is going to be very excited to have a new companion with whom she can communicate but at the end of the day, like all princesses she expects a degree of deference. I like you Shadow but don't mess with my princess. Suck up to her and treat her with the respect she expects and deserves and everything will be just fine."

I get the picture. I'll do my best.

The meeting of the pups went quite well. After a brief conversation during which Samantha clearly delineated the pecking order, she and Shadow became fast friends bonding quickly in view of their shared gifts. Shadow in fact was quite smitten by the beautiful fawn coated sled dog. Both dogs quickly communicated to Eric that everything would work out just fine.

Where does your brother live Eric?

"He has an apartment in town. He's very independent and doesn't want to be a burden on his older brother. I, of course will have none of it. I have twenty acres here. I'm building a house for him on the other end of the property which won't be in sight of this house and will have it's own entrance but he'll be close. He's working on a graduate degree and hopes to get a job teaching full time at the university."

So...you...and Samantha...will visit often?

"I'm sure we will. The whole property is going to be fenced. You and Samantha may be smart enough not to wander off and get hit by a car but the other pups aren't. Enough property and wild life to keep things interesting for those of your species with a level of protection from those---human or otherwise---who might wish you harm.

"Which brings up another subject. With your addition to this extended family there is probably no danger that the five of you couldn't deal with but people are ingenious and they have weapons---guns---and there are those out there who would do you harm. Some are just sick. Others would try to steal you and sell you for a quick profit. A simple rule applies here. If there is danger, you will detect it before my brother or I will thanks to your keen senses. Raise the alarm---but keep your distance. Your first action in case of danger is to tell me---or my brother once he moves out here---not try to deal with it yourselves. This is a very safe area with good neighbors, almost all of whom have dogs. Samantha understands the program."

I understand. Thank you again. Thank you for saving my life. I hope to return the favor during my lifetime.

"Take care of my brother, Shadow. Help him adjust to his loss. That's all you ever have to do to repay me. He gets depressed sometimes---just as you did when you felt there was no reason to go on. Look for those signs---probe for them and bring him back when he gets too close to the edge. Now go be a dog! I have some phone calls to make. One involving Buckeye and the other putting the squeeze on my CEO for the donation of a top of the line blood analyzer. As I recall he is a dog guy; it shouldn't be that hard to get him to spring for a few hundred thousand dollars worth of equipment."

Buckeye was set up to be evaluated for use as a therapy dog the following week. Eric called the shelter and informed Jan. Eric genuine liked the CEO of the company which had acquired his company. He was not surprised when the only question he asked was where the lab equipment should be delivered.

"We don't sell x-ray equipment Eric, but I do have some friends in that industry. My family and I volunteer at the shelter in our county but I've sensed of late that they're taking our generosity for granted and not always making the best use of the donations. We might just venture out into the country this Saturday and pay a visit."

"I can't thank you enough, Bob."

"Whether out of my personal pocket or the corporation charitable foundation, adoptive low kill dog shelters are a very high priority. Keep me posted on their needs. I'll call the President of our pharmacy division and see what he can do to help out. He has three dogs---all adopted or rescued."

Dinsmore
Dinsmore
1,897 Followers