The Du Page Affair Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,087 Followers

I turned and headed back up the hill to the village, who was I to interrupt them. They were all old enough to make up their own minds about what they were doing.

I found Susan administering her care to the sick and injured in the center of the village. I found a seat and watched her. She was not only good at what she did she was very beautiful to boot. Sunshine was at her side as she cared for her patients. Jaz came trotting up to sit beside me as Rudy had done. The other two dogs were being petted and cuddled by a group of children behind Susan. They may just stay when we leave here.

As I sat watching the children play with the dogs I felt several people watching me. The leader of the village was one and as I watched he rose and started toward me. Taking a seat next to me he too watched Susan.

"I want to thank you for what you did for us."

"Not a problem."

"I also want to thank you for the guns. It will help us stay alive and free."

"I'm all about freedom. But, if you ever use them to try and limit someone else's freedom, I will be back here. You understand what I mean?"

"I understand. We just want to live in peace, until..." He stopped.

"Until when?"

"Until our country wants us back."

"Well said. I can tell you it will be a little while until that happens though. Word is they still think it's contaminated in here."

"Even though they can see the fire poles themselves?"

"Yep." Susan looked up at me and smiled, I smiled back at her.

"She sure is pretty." He sighed as he continued to gaze at her. "So is that other little thing you bring here, the one with the red hair and the bright smile."

"Yes they are."

"How come they and you never use each other's names?"

"Professional courtesy."

"Even though you are all friends?"

"Yes."

"Well I guess that's up to you. But could you tell me her name?"

"Susan."

"Her last name too."

"You would have to ask her. It's different now than when I knew her in med-school."

"You're a doctor too?"

"I was, I'm not anymore."

"Oh."

Susan looked up at me with a raised eyebrow. I laughed as I got up off the log I had been sitting on.

"I'm going to set up camp on the north slope, east of the creek," I told Susan.

"You two are more than welcome to stay in the village in one of our tents or shacks."

"That's ok, we have our own tent. Hey would you and your people like to keep those dogs the kids are playing with?"

"Aren't they yours?"

"No, my three are right here, the big brown dog, the big black dog and the beagle. Now, would you like to keep them or not? And no eating them when we are gone."

"You had better take them with you as some people here might use them as food. We hunt the wild ones not just to protect ourselves but for food too. So no, take them with you."

"We will then. I am going to direct a food drop here sometime this week."

"Thank you. We could use one."

"How many new arrivals have you had since our last visit?"

"Twenty-seven, three of them were almost dead when they arrived here. They did die before a doctor could get here. Five of them decided to move on to Campus Du Page. Ten of them headed for decon station four, but from what I hear the wait there is indefinite and food scarce."

"That's the word we get too. Those five did arrive safely, just so you know. What's your total count now?"

"Two-hundred-forty-five."

"Then I'll have a month's provisions air dropped here as soon as I can."

"That would be great. Thanks again."

Susan was standing in front of me, Sunny by her side. I looked up and winked at her. She squatted down and smiled at me, giving Sunny's head a ruffle.

"I'm finished here, could we make it back before dark?"

"It will be dark in an hour that would mean an hour and a half in the dark. Do you want to get going or stay the night here?"

"Let's get going, I think I can stand an hour and a half in the dark." I shook my head and stood, grabbing my pack.

"I'll see you in about two weeks," I said to the leader of the village. Didn't know his name didn't want too.

"Ok, thanks for everything." We shook hands and Susan and I started off on our trek to Campus Du Page. Sunny bark once and the two strays she had picked up came running out of the village. So the seven of us started off with a quick pace toward what we called home.

The kilometers pasted quickly as did the daylight. When it became too dark to see without help we donned our night-vision gear. Rudy was leading off and Sunny was on our left flank. The collie was walking the right flank. Jaz and the terrier were trailing Susan and me.

As we approached Campus Du Page we saw that there were five people waiting at the edge of the shield. As we got closer Jasmine came running past us barking happily. Rudy and Sunshine both were running toward the five. One knelt down to gather all three to her. It was Jenny, my wife. I went running past Susan to her shock to greet my wife.

"See I told you she would find a way." I laughed as I passed Susan.

To be continued...

Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,087 Followers
Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

Quaranteam - Book Two (Ch. 01) Andy Rook's problems are just beginning...in Group Sex
QuaranTeam - Dave in Dallas Ch. 01 Surviving a horrible plague has unusual conditions.in Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Watching The Detectives Ch. 04 Scott warns Kat to back off on her snooping into the past...in Non-Erotic
Watching The Detectives Ch. 03 Kat ups the ante in her game vs the crooked private dicks.in Non-Erotic
Quaranteam: Mike's Hurdles Ch. 01 Mike discovers that he is not immune to the pandemic.in Mind Control
More Stories