The Dubious Dictionary: Bl-Bz

Story Info
Arcane and underappreciated words
1.5k words
15.4k
0

Part 8 of the 9 part series

Updated 08/31/2017
Created 12/26/2003
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MathGirl
MathGirl
160 Followers

A collection of arcane and under-appreciated words. Definitions are included, along with clarification. Also, the word is used in a sentence, where appropriate, to indicate its proper usage in everyday language.

NOTE: An asterisk (*) following a definition indicates that the word and definition are factual and may be found in any good 40 pound dictionary.

------------------------------------------

BLAUWOK: The quaint Inuit custom observed during fish gutting contests. The umpire blows a walrus tusk whistle, the contestants drop their fish, and they vigorously pick each other's noses for thirty seconds. A second whistle signals the end of the blauwok, and the contest resumes.

BISONTINE: Pertaining to bison; buffalo-like.* E.g. "You have a lovely figure, Eleanor. Your hindquarters are positively bisontine."

BLAIN: A boil or blister.* E.g. "I shouldn't worry about that blain on your privates, Mr Farquahr. It will go away when your tonker falls off."

BIREME: A galley with two banks of oars.* Editor's note: This is apparently a small kitchen staffed by a double shift of ladies of ill-repute.

BLEWIT: Type of edible toadstool.* E.g. "Dang, Doris! I can see how these here mushrooms got their name. I et some, felt a rumblin' in ma guts, then I blewit in my shorts."

BLUEPETER: Blue flag with white square in center used as ship's signal.* Announces the presence of a dread, highly contagious venereal disease amongst the crew. Vessel is quarantined until tonkers of crewmen turn blue, fall off, and they are no longer infectious.

BOATSWAIN: Naut. Ship's crewmember in charge of equipment and maintence.* In the days of long voyages on sailing ships, a comely boatswain was expected to play an occasional hand of 'hide the salami' with the captain.

BOBSTAY: Naut. Rope used on ship to steady cabin boy whilst pulling a train for officers. Otherwise used to keep ship's pet sheep from falling overboard.

"BOLISSIMA MIA": Ital. Lit.-"My Johnson is Sore." The magnificent aria sung by Dimaggio (ten.) in the third act of the opera "The Sheep Lovers" by Zucchini.

BOEOTIAN: Stupid; dull.* Characteristic of music lovers who sit through the entire seven hour performance of the abovementioned opera.

BOMAN: Well dressed criminal.* E.g. O.J.Simpson, Robert Blake, Michael "Sleepover" Jackson, etc. (As a public service, occasional societal commentary is included amongst the otherwise serious items in the lexicon. These will be kept as brief and infrequent as possible. Ed.)

BONING: 1. Estimating straightness by looking along a row of poles.* (Assuming one can get Kowalski to hold still, of course. Ed.) 2. What Laura gets from Shrubbie on a semi-annual basis.

BONBONIERRE: Small box used for sweetmeats.* E.g. "Hay, Lucille, ya wanna see ma sweetmeats? Lemme jist git this here bonbonierre unzipped."

BOLUS: Rounded mass.* Marlon Brando

BOMBOSITY: The buttocks.* E.g. "Sheeeit, Leroy! That Quanisha gots some kinda bombosity on hersef, huh?"

BORASCO: Violent wind squall.* "Whooie, thet were some kinda borasco, Momma! Now thet it's over, wouldja please hep me pull these here pannies outa ma ass?"

BOOPTIC: Ox-eyed.* E.g. "Now, I'm not saying Ms Cosgrove is booptic, but she can watch a tennis match without moving her head."

BORBORIGMUS: Intestinal sounds.* "Listen, Harold. My transverse colon is singing the tenor part of the Love Duet from "Madama Butterfly."

BOTRYOIDAL: Like a bunch of grapes.* A distinctive type of hemorrhoid formation which is much admired as a sign of machismo in some Latin American cultures.

BOSSELATED: Knobby.* E.g. "Hoot mon! Yon Angus has the most bosselated knees ever I laid eyes on."

BOULT: To sift through cloth. To examine by sifting.* Yet another method of recovering used corn from excrement. Required for preparation of certain Norwegian pastries.

BOURREE: French baroque dance which requires that the genitalia of the gentleman be worn on the right.

BOUSTROPHEDON: Writing alternating left-right then right-left.* Considered an unbreakable code in Arkansas.

BRACHIATION: Swinging by one's arms from place to place.* George! Watch out for that tree!

BRACHYCATALECTIC: Lacking two syllables from the end of a verse.* E.g. "Shit, Leonard! I damn near had me a haiku composed, but it done gone all brachycatalectic on me, jist two syllables from the end."

BOYG: A problem difficult to get to grips with.* E.g. "That's quite a boyg you've got there, Bobby. I think you used too much Vaseline."

BRACCATE: Having feathered legs.* "You're lucky Wanda. All you gotta do is shave every couple days. I'm braccate and have to go get plucked twice a week."

BRAXY: Disease of sheep causing fits.* In Australia, often mistaken for orgasmic frenzy.

BRACHYDACTYLOUS: Having short or stubby fingers.* E.g. "Ya know, Roy, Linda May invited me ta play stank fanger with her last night, but I couldn't git past the damn hair. I must be brachydactylous."

BRACKISH: Saltish; very salty.* E.g. "Joe Bob, yer an experienced man, an' I need ta ax ya a question. Is it jist Cindy, or do all bearded clams taste brackish?"

BRACKLE: To break bread or cake into pieces.* E.g. "Jesus, Mary Lou! Ain't ya never gonna larn ta cook? I tried to brackle this here cake ya baked, and I had to use a fuggin' fire axe."

BRANSLE: An old French follow-the-leader dance.* It becomes quite festive when the lead dancer pisses in the punch bowl and everyone else (including the ladies) must follow suit.

BRELOQUE: An ornament attached to a watch.* In Arkansas, a radial truck tire is a favorite.

BREAM: To clean a ship's bottom by burning off seaweed.* Transexual men have tried this method to clean their bottoms by burning off hair. Results have been mixed, and several tragic fires have resulted when the procedure is used following a bean meal.

BRADAWL: Tiny boring tool.* E.g. "Hey, Timmy, did you notice the bradawl Uncle Michael had in his pajama pants during our sleepover at his ranch?"

BREVIARY: Book containing daily church service.* E.g. "Good grief, Martha! It says here in the breviary that Father Flanagan is to service the altar boy today. That should be worth staying to see."

BRIDOON: Light military bridle.* Widely used during the Civil War when the Major wished to play "horsie" with the drummer boy.

BRILLIANTINE: Perfumed oil for making hair glossy.* E.g. "I know that Jose is a greaser by birth, but I think his using that 80 wt. brilliantine is overdoing it just a bit."

BROBDINGNAGIAN: Immense.* E.g. "Come over and see me some time, Mr Gulliver. Don't forget to bring along that brobdingnagian tonker of yours that I've heard so much about."

BROMOPNEA: Bad breath.* E.g. "I hate to mention this, Iris, but your breath smells like mildewed restroom carpet."

BRUNNEOUS: Dark brown.* E.g. "I bought you something today, dear. You should be able to wear these brunneous jockeys for an entire day without noticeable streaking. Please do try, will you?"

BUBONALGIA: Painful inflammation of the groin.* This one is just too easy for a professional lexicographer. The Editor has decided to let the reader supply his/her own clarification or quotation.

BULBIFEROUS: Bearing bulbs.* E.g. "Doctor, it's about my son Clarence. Is it natural for an eight year to have bulbs which are larger and hairier than his father's."

BROMIDROSIS: Strong-smelling sweat.* "Don't worry Mr Cosgrove, your wife will come around in a moment. I have bromidrosis, and one whiff of my armpit will awaken week old road kill."

BUCCINA: Roman trumpet.* E.g. "Here, Lucius, let me just move my toga aside, and you can give my buccina a good old Latin toot."

BUCK-AND WING: Solo tap dance with many leg flings and leaps.* Especially vigorous when, just prior to the performance, an assistant inserts a large jalapeno into the dancer's rectum.

BULLA: Round seal attached to a papal bull.* E.g. "You hold onto the ring in his nose, Bishop, and I'll try to nail this bulla to his ass. I've never understood why the Holy Father can't just have a nice cat. Must have something to do with being a Polak."

BULLARY: Collection of papal bulls.* E.g. "Faith an' begorra, Monsignor, the Holy Father must have two dozen of the great beasties! Sure an' tis no wonder the Castle Gondolfo always smells o' bullshite."

BUMPTIOUS: Offensively conceited.* E.g. "There he goes again, Trog. That damn Ompa thinks he's so fuggin' superior, just because he has a forehead. I tell ya, that's a dead-end, evolution-wise."

BURGAGE: Tenure in socage for yearly rent.* Another word about which The Committee (q.v) should be closely questioned. (Ed.)

BURGEE: Small ship's flag used for identification.* When the burgee is flown, it means, "Yes, this is a ship." When it is absent, the enlisted ranks may mistake the ship for a suburb of Cleveland or a privy.

BURSIFORM: Shaped like a pouch.* E.g. "Oh, sure, Sidney has a nice bursiform appendage between his legs. Only problem is, it's empty."

BURGANET: Light helmet with nose and cheek protection.* Designed to protect the cabin boy if a drunken captain becomes abusive whilst being blown.

BUTYRACEOUS: Resembling or having the qualities of butter.* E.g. "Gorsh, Earline, ya even got purty feet. They smells downright butyraceous. Thet's a word I larned when Grandma left a full churn out in the sun fer a few days."

------------------------------------

To be continued.

Thank you for your attention.

Reader's comments always welcome.

MathGirl
MathGirl
160 Followers
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
4 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Hilarious

MathGirlMathGirlabout 20 years agoAuthor
To the last commenter:

The most fun you ever had? My goodness, you should get out more.

MG (Editor of the Dubious Dictionary)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 20 years ago
Wow!

Never had such fun in my life, and probably never will again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 20 years ago
Not bad

Not bad, except... you're carrying the Jackson jokes just a bit too far, too frequently. It gets a bit old.

Share this Story

Similar Stories

Bridget's Days Ch. 01 An elderly woman remembers her life.in Novels and Novellas
Laresa's World Ch. 01: Adam A Genie and the people who knew her.in Chain Stories
Space Diary Year 2 John hires his first crew hands.in Non-Erotic
A Pirate's Life For Me Have you ever had your Swash buckled?in Humor & Satire
A Pirate's Tale Young man takes his first pirate voyage.in Erotic Horror
More Stories