The Ebony Alpha Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You know Drusilla some people just do things out of the goodness of their heart. For those good Samaritans, no thanks is necessary. If I were you I would just be glad that I am alive. We still need to take you shopping to spend some of your inheritance. You could use some new clothes."

Drusilla refused to answer her mother. She was tired of trying to tell her that she didn't want Remy's money. She could live off the proceeds from the sale of her house for a while if she was careful. There was no need for her to decide what to do with the money Remy left her right now.

The phone ringing startled the mother and daughter and Drusilla leaned back against the soft cushions of the couch. No one called her and she closed her eyes trying to chase away the smell of smoke from her mind.

"Hello. Yes this is Carlotta Guyon may I help you?"

Dru could hear the anxiousness in her mother's voice and listened keeping her eyes closed.

"Yes I know who you are Louisa Metairie. My cousin Amandia has mentioned you once or twice." Dru's ears perked up and she listened closer.

"Remy and I had a very brief business arrangement that didn't work out. We parted ways after the incident in North Dakota. We didn't really associate much after that."

Why was her Mother lying? Didn't she know werewolves could tell if you were lying even over the phone?

"Yes I remember Joe Chambers. He was Remy's right hand man. He was with us on that trip."

Drusilla's interest had peaked and she wished that her mother would stop playing coy.

"He's been arrested because of that night and you need me to testify on his behalf? Well now that is quite the sticky situation, isn't it? I can only attest to the fact that Remy went in first and Joe followed behind him, but I don't know what happened after they left the car. I stayed put."

Drusilla knew that her Mother was lying through her teeth. She had probably written down everything that had happened that night in one of her journals and all she had to do was refer to it.

"Here's a thought Louisa; I will testify in Joe's favor for a small fee. It's the least you could do since it's his freedom we are talking about."

Drusilla was livid. How could her mother be so heartless? A man's life was at stake and she was talking price. Her mother was not the woman she believed her to be.

"I think the amount of five million dollars would meet my needs. I know that Remy gave Joe ten million dollars and he can afford to pay. Think about it and get back to me with your answer. Thanks for calling Louisa Metairie."

Dru did her best sleeping impression and waited until her mother left the room. She let out a ragged breath and allowed the tears to stream from her eyes.

First Remy and now her mother. Were there any good people left in the world? Yes there was one truly good person, and all she had to do was find him.

Her rescuer was out there somewhere and she knew just where to start looking. Detective Broussard had been trying to reach her for weeks now. It was time for her to return his calls.

****

Louisa was disappointed. Her call to Carlotta Guyon hadn't gone as planned. The woman was a bitch and she didn't give a damn about Joe. All she cared about was money and that is where her usefulness ended. If they paid for her testimony, Fabio Marconi would turn it against them.

It wouldn't matter that her testimony would be true; it would still be paid for and therefore unacceptable. There had to be another way and she would find it, with or without Carlotta Guyon.

It had been a busy morning and she was thankful to her family and friends for their help and support for both her and Joe. She was touched by the care and concern she had gotten from Napoleon Boscoyo and his mate Joslyn.

Ophelia and Anderson were staunch supporters as well, and their word would go a long way with the Elder Council.

So far Stephan had been granted access to the crime scene, and all of the records that had been collected. Fabio had made sure that the crime scene had been preserved.

It had been moved to an old airplane hangar. The CSI investigators made sure that the physical evidence had been well documented. The hardest part was going through all of the information that was sitting in boxes in the security conference room. They had their work cut out for them.

Joslyn Boscoyo had agreed to represent Joe since she had a law degree she hadn't used in years. If her world wasn't falling apart she would feel ecstatic to have so much love surrounding her.

Louisa knew that she needed to keep her mind busy and went to join Stephan in the security offices. When she got there she was surprised to see that many of Jackson's pack were helping Stephan comb through the file. It was a hive of activity and Louisa felt better knowing they were working hard to help Joe.

"Hey Louisa, I'm going to check out the camper that was the scene of the attack. Why don't you join me? The others have things under control here and they'll call us if they find anything out of the ordinary."

"Alright Stephan; I could use a little distraction." The two would be investigators walked to the jeep outside of the building. The hangar was on pack land close to where the livestock was kept.

It blended in with the stables and barns that dotted the landscape, and would have been one of them if not for the evidence inside of it.

"The building is climate controlled like a big storage locker. I think that Hosuk even did Fabio a favor and sealed it so that it would not deteriorate with time. He thought of everything and now I hope his forethought will give us an advantage."

"He is blind to the fact that Joe is telling the truth. He is filled with his obsession to solve this crime that he has lost his objectivity. All of this is really unnecessary. I think he has more in mind for Joe."

Louisa sighed heavily and looked at the country side as it passed by. She would love to run here with Joe and Fabio Marconi was attempting to ruin their lives.

"Fabio's reputation precedes him and I wouldn't put anything past that man. He has a reputation to uphold and he blames Joe for the one black mark on his record."

"Trust me Louisa we will prove Joe's innocence in all things. I am just afraid that the Elders may not want to trust that technology is a reliable source."

"I called Carlotta Guyon and she agreed to testify for Joe, but there's a catch; she wants to be paid."

"What's the problem with that Louisa? A lot of witnesses get paid for their testimonies."

"We shouldn't have to pay someone to do the right thing Stephan. The Elders would frown on her receiving financial compensation for telling the truth. They may not believe her sincerity."

"We're here. Let's go take a look." Stephan hoped out of the jeep and helped Louisa out of her side. He took out an ancient key and unlocked the old building. Stephan was right; the large building was very comfortable inside. The lights were so bright that it looked as if they were outside. Louisa was taken aback by the damage done to the small airstream trailer in the middle of the room.

The missing door lay ragged on the ground. The front windshield was smashed out and even the glass could still be seen on the trailer floor. It was the blood stains that made Louisa cringe. There were three large spots and splatter covered the walls.

"It's gruesome Stephan; Remy really was trying to kill them. How ironic, that twenty-one years later, he was trying to mate with the unborn child he tried to end."

"He was a ruthless excuse for a were, and I have trouble claiming him as one of our species." Stephan said as he walked closer to the damaged trailer and smiled.

"Look at the front of the camper Louisa. The way it's dented shows that Joe jumped on the hood. See the boot prints there; we can measure them against Joe's prints. Now look at the way the windshield is shattered. Most safety glass won't shatter which proves the something or someone with great strength busted it out."

Stephan was getting excited and Louisa began to smile. His enthusiasm was contagious and she looked at his findings with new hope.

"This is interesting there are small buckshot pellets on the floor around this blood spot here. This is close to the front of the cabin and I think it is Remy's. I will have to get the DNA results to know for sure. If we don't find Joe's blood in the cabin He can be cleared from assault charges."

"That's great Stephan; Napoleon can get one of his pack members to get a sample of Remy's DNA from his possessions in New Orleans." Louisa walked around the campers carefully and paced backward from the gaping opening.

"You know Stephan we need to find the person who fired those shots. Joe said they were silver and it brought Remy down temporarily. That person knows what happened here that night and they knew what they were up against."

"Good idea where do we start?"

"How about the trailer park? The owner or caretaker may have the information we need."

"I think you may be on to something there Louisa, It will take us a few hours to get there. I'll trade in the jeep for an SUV and meet you out front in an hour."

"I'll be waiting. All I have to do is visit Joe and tell him our plans."

"That's great and I'll let Jackson know as well. Let's keep this confidential for now Louisa. It will be safer for us if we keep this on a need to know basis."

"Aye, aye captain!" Louisa said and gave Stephan a mock salute. She almost ran back to the jeep. Her excitement hung thick in the air.

It had been a while since she had been on a case. She was an ASI agent, and she wasn't going to let a little time lapse of twenty-one years throw her off the trail.

****

Joe Chambers looked around the room he was imprisoned in. He couldn't really call it a jail cell because it was comfortable, and he had everything he needed.

He had all the support he needed too. Joslyn Boscoyo had agreed to defend him at the trial and Napoleon and Jackson had assured him that they would help in every way they could.

He wished that Louisa was there in his arms, but he knew she was hard at work trying to prove his innocence. She had risked her own freedom to keep him alive, and he had to have faith that she would succeed.

Joe looked up as the door opened and Fabio walked just inside the doorway. The dark haired man was not supposed to visit him without someone else present, and Joe suddenly became nervous.

Remembering that Louisa could feel his emotions; he quickly buried his feelings. He stared at his visitor with a neutral expression and waited for him to speak.

"Mr. Chambers, I am on my way to visit with the Elder council. I am convinced that they will see things my way; and soon you will be paying for your crimes."

Joe knew that the man was baiting him and he held his tongue. Joslyn Boscoyo had warned him to stay calm and to call for her if he was in trouble. It made him beyond angry to do nothing, but it was in his best interest to stay quiet.

"I thought you wanted to tell me your side of the story Mr. Chambers. Here I am why don't you dazzle me with your tale." Fabio smiled. He wasn't a coward, but he knew the wolf before him had no powers in this room lined with silver.

When Joe didn't reply Fabio snorted and left the room. Joe might be a young werewolf, but he knew how to follow orders. He had been told not to talk and he had kept his mouth closed. Unfortunately following Remy's orders had gotten him into this mess.

He sat back dejectedly against the couch cushions and thought about his pack. He was happy that he had returned home and helped his family. He could rest easy knowing that his brothers would take care of his Mother and Father.

He wished he could see how Reggie and Patsy were getting along. He smiled when he thought of his brother having his hands full with the little Beta.

Joe looked back over his life and decided he had only one regret; and that was meeting Remy Sandorian. Even in death the man was causing him pain.

"Remy Sandorian," Joe thought to himself. "I wish I had never laid eyes on your sorry ass!"

****

Fabio Marconi wanted Joe to be as humiliated as possible, and fumed when he saw his accommodations. He didn't try to convince Jackson to put him in a different holding cell.

It was clear that the Clarion Alpha had been fooled by the newly mated couple. He would go before the Elder Council and try to get him moved.

He didn't deserve to have a luxurious place to stay when he was a disgusting criminal. He was obsessed with making sure Joe Chambers would lose his freedom for good.

He smirked as he considered the speech he would make to the Elders. He was sure he would be given a seat on the council and put his role as enforcer to rest. All his ambitions rested on this case, and Joe Chamber's conviction was his way to the top.

Fabio made his way to Jobel's home and hoped that Serena was not there. He loved his friends but preferred to talk business with Jobel.

Keeping things wolf to wolf kept Fabio in his comfort zone. He could count on Jobel's beast to understand why he felt so compelled to make Joe Chambers suffer.

He felt as if he was fighting a losing battle, and scowled at the thought. Jackson and his family were making sure that everyone available was working to free the prisoner.

The Boscoyo Alpha refused to believe Joe was a willing accomplice to the crime, and their word would go a lot farther than his sense of smell.

The disgruntled enforcer knocked on the Elder's door and waited for him to answer.

"Hello Fabio, please come in." Serena smiled at the disappointed man before her, and knew he wished she wasn't there.

"Oh don't look so down hearted, I'm leaving. I have to see Ophelia about a mating issue. Now you boys don't make any important decisions without me! See you later." She placed a quick kiss on her mate's cheek and left the house.

Jobel motioned for his friend to take a seat. "Do you want a drink? I know it's been a long day for you and I thought you could use one."

"Cognac please. Something smooth would be welcome."

Jobel poured them both a glass of the thick amber liquid and handed one to Fabio,

"I have some bad news for you Fabio. The Couple that were attacked have decided that they do not wish to press charges."

"It's up to the Elder Council to decide who receives punishment for crimes committed. Don't they realize we do not abide by human laws?"

"That's not entirely true my friend. We're adapting more and more of their ways into our daily lives. It is either adapt or cease to exist."

"What if he really is guilty and not the innocent bystander he claims to be? How can they defend him then?"

"They are going by the man that they know now. He has many redeeming qualities and one of those is his courage. He fought his own Alpha to save his family. He is admirable according to Napoleon and Jackson agrees."

"Are you on his side as well Jobel? Why is he still in lock up if he is so admired?" Fabio was hiding his anger well, unfortunately Jobel was not fooled.

"Calm yourself my friend. I only thought to warn you. The Elder Council feels that Megan may refuse to go through with the ceremony if we continue to hold him. He is Louisa's mate after all and the two women are very close."

"But you didn't answer my question. Why is he not free?"

"All evidence must be presented and heard by the Elders. The trial will begin in two days, and you have been ordered to stay away from the prisoner until then."

"He is no prisoner Jobel. His accommodations are luxurious to say the least. He should be sleeping on a cold hard floor!"

The older man sighed heavily and looked at the angry man pacing before him. There would be no appeasing Fabio.

He had waited too long to capture his prey and now he was about to lose him. Jobel knew in his heart that the man Joe Chambers was not guilty.

The Elder Council would use him to show their power. If they couldn't find him guilty of attacking the O'Hara couple, they would pin something else on him. Joe would not leave North Dakota unscathed and neither would Louisa Metairie.

Fabio's strained voice shook him from his thoughts. Jobel looked at his friend and cringed, he was almost feral.

"I hope this is not a mock trial Jobel. It could be a great chance for the Were Nation to be reminded of howour justice is carried out."

Fabio stopped pacing and took a seat once more.

"Now I know exactly how I will appeal to the Elder Council. I will play to their egos. They are some of the vainest individuals on Earth. Giving them a chance to look even better to their people, is something they won't be able to resist."

Fabio Marconi sat back and swirled the deep amber liquor in his glass. He was pleased with his plan and moaned in pleasure as he drank the strong substance.

Fabio had forgotten whose company he was in. Jobel's anger swelled and ebbed as he considered the dark man drinking his expensive liquor.

Fabio Marconi had forgotten that Jobel and Serena sat on the Elder Council. His anger was clouding his judgment and he was becoming careless.

Jobel smiled and reminded himself that for all his bravado Fabio Marconi was his friend. They had experienced many adventures together and he wanted that to continue.

He hoped that Fabio would come to his senses before he reached the point of no return.

****

Lloyd Henri was ancient. He didn't look a day over twenty five but he was much older. He had lived out his exile in relative peace and quiet.

There were a few incidents here and there but for the most part his nose was clean. He had taken care of this old trailer and camper site for over fifty years. He could go home soon if everything stayed that way.

He wanted to hear his family call him by his birth name ; Lefyr Haemir. He was a long way from his people the Liosalfar and he was waiting for his last task to be presented to him.

He heard the large SUV before he saw it, and wondered who was coming. He didn't get a lot of visitors this time of year, and the campsite was empty except for him.

He checked his side for the gun he always carried and looked up at his double barreled shotgun. He kept it to run off the special guests that might show up.

The smell was wolf, and he readied his gun. He would let them ask for directions if that's what they needed, but they didn't look lost to him. The large male knocked on the door and Lloyd opened it a crack.

"What can I do for you?" He asked."

"We need to speak to the caretaker of this campground if possible. It's a matter of life and death."

Lloyd doubted that and smiled. He didn't smell trouble so he opened the door and ushered the pair of wolves into his trailer/office.

"My name is Lloyd and I run this place."

Louisa and Stephan could smell he was not human and wondered exacty what he was.

"You are not human." Louisa stated and let her well-developed sense of smell take over.

"Elvin I think, I haven't met many of your kind in my life, but you remind me of someone who is of the Liosalfar."

"Very good wolf. Now what can I do for you?" Lloyd didn't want to be distracted. He was waiting for his next assignment and these two could easily cause a delay.

"My name is Louisa and this is my friend Stephan. He is from the Clarion pack and I work for the ASI. We were wondering if you remember an incident that happened here about twenty-one years ago. A couple were attacked by one of our kind and left for dead. The woman was pregnant at the time."

Lloyd remembered that night vividly. That was the first time he'd used the silver buckshot. He had not been successful, because when he returned with help, the werewolf was gone.

"I remember that night. It was the first and only time this campsite has been attacked."