The Empath Cycle: 2010 Carpe Diem - Book 1

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Most of them being from relatively large families, they had little privacy, so they limited their sexual explorations as a group to frequent camping week-ends in the wilderness or in smaller groups or couples trysts when they could find the opportunity. The various haylofts of the area saw lots of activity in those years. There was no jealousy between them and they enjoyed each other thoroughly. Even the girls who got interested in boys still made time to keep up with the group's activities.

They hung out all the time growing up and they continued when they made it to the big city for college and university.


Chapter 1

When the time came for Ann and her friends to move to Montreal, even though many people helped search for a single apartment to accommodate all eight, the best they could find were two apartments on the same floor of an older building in the artsy part of town. These were fairly expensive, but since they were all working, it was not a big deal. The four femmes took one and the three butches the other. As the only one vacillating between the two groups, Ann joined the threesome of butches.

Though she had a fairly male point of view concerning the female body, she had never gone to the extremes butches did. She had her very female moments and never eschewed the female pleasures. On occasion, she loved to dress up and display her feminine attributes.

As a rule, jocks and other macho jerks were forbidden from their abodes. The word got around after a few gate crashers were escorted out manu militari by the butches and Ann.

One of them, Marty (born Martine), was a former linebacker in the boys' high school football team and worked as a bouncer in a downtown strip club. At six-two, two thirty-five pounds of pure muscle with a somewhat androgynous look and a crew cut, nobody ever dared doubt her ability to do her job after a single professional encounter.

What most people didn't know about Marty was that under the tough mannish exterior hid a gentle woman with an exceptional mind. At the time, she was a student at the Math Faculty of Université de Montréal (U de M) with a course load to make her fellow students blanch and endear her to her teachers.

Annabelle had always had a soft spot for Marty, She loved her beautiful DD-cup breasts and shapely ass perfectly displayed when she wore tight jeans... or none at all. Ann found it was a shame she cut her red hair so short, but she loved feeling it on her thighs when Marty used her talented tongue on her while gazing at her with those dreamy emerald eyes. In fact, Marty insisted on seeing the look in her lovers' eyes when she brought them to a crashing orgasm. She said it felt like she was sharing their pleasure and it turned her on like nothing else.

Soon after arriving in the city, Ann found a job as a receptionist at an engineering firm. They needed someone with flexible hours to hold the fort in the evening during the week and on the week-end as they had people working seven days a week and until late at night.

At the end of her first year in Business Administration at the École des Hautes Études Commerciales, or HEC, a world-renowned Business Faculty of U de M, she was promoted to a Junior Assistant to the Executive Assistant to the Director of the Marketing Division for the summer.

Unfortunately for her, the Director was an asshole who thought it his god-given right to sexually harass the few women in his department. Ann tried to go the official route of complaining to HR, but it seemed that all the money he brought to the company spoke louder than a lowly Junior Assistant and the shit kept going on until the Monday of her third week. He cornered her in the supplies closet and grabbed her ass. One can suppose he didn't expect that his victim would grab his cock and balls and twist with all of her not inconsiderable strength. Ann didn't let go until he was on the ground, crying and begging for mercy. She would learn later that he ended in the hospital and would have permanent damage.

She didn't even show up for work the next day, sure she would be fired and would never get fair references from the place, so she was surprised when she got a call mid-morning.

"Ms. Taylor? This is Mrs. Harris from HR, are you sick?"

"No ma'am."

"Then why are you not at your desk?"

"I guess I figured I didn't have a job anymore and was not welcome in the building."

"Whatever gave you that silly idea?"

Ann explained to Mrs. Harris what had happened the day before and what had led to it, including her appeal to HR.

She could hear the frost in the woman's voice. "Ms. Taylor, I was never made aware of the situation and I should have been. In fact, you should not have been sent to that particular floor because we are well aware of that man's poor behavior. As sexist as it is, he is normally only assigned older women and men for just that reason. So please come in after lunch, which will give me time to get to the bottom of this before we meet. You are to report to Mrs. Langston."

"Yes, ma'am. Thank you, ma'am." Ann was stunned.

When Annabelle walked in HR, she was given a standing ovation by the women and most of the men present.

Annie Langston came out of an office to see what the commotion was all about. Her severe expression softened when she saw who had caused it.

"Ms. Taylor, after investigating the situation and finding that you had demonstrated the patience of a saint until yesterday, I reviewed your file and spoke to some of your co-workers."

'Here it comes.' Ann thought glumly.

"You have been given a glowing review by everyone I spoke to. You are always on time and never in a rush to get out the door at quitting time like some people I will not mention. In fact, the executive assistant you were working for last told me, in no uncertain terms, that your talents were wasted at your last post."

"I... Hum... Thank you, ma'am." Ann managed to say finally, nonplussed by the unexpected praise.

"Unfortunately, I cannot place you at a job which would make full use of your potential since we have to accommodate your school schedule. Fortunately, though, I may have a solution. I see in your file that you study Business Administration at the HEC."

"Yes, ma'am." 'Where is she going with that?' Ann wondered.

"I may have something that would interest you, but I must warn you that the work load is fairly heavy. The people you would be working with are driven and expect a lot of each other and no less from their part-time or temporary assistants, what few there have been over the years."

"Yes, ma'am. Hard work never rebuffed me." Ann told her. Could it be? There was only one division of which she had heard such comments.

"Since you cannot work full-time during the school year and considering your availability, the only post I can offer you in that division is one as a roving assistant. You will help where help is needed. If you are agreeable, you will work full-time for the rest of the summer and between the fall and winter sessions. You may also be asked to do more hours during the school year, but rest assured that the people you will be working for are not inconsiderate. It is only that they may occasionally need more of your services."

"I understand, ma'am. As long as I have enough time to commute to the university, I'm available." Ann said enthusiastically. That had to be it. And who was she to spit on more money? She had asked for more hours since she started working for the firm.

"Wait until I tell you what the job is before jumping in. That division is not for everyone. Many don't want to work with them. I told you, they are driven and so must you be. I would hate to lose you because we asked too much of you."

"Ma'am, you must be speaking of the Special Projects Division. I've wanted to work there since I first heard of them. Everybody says..."

"That may be so, Ms. Taylor." The older woman interrupted. "But rumors are one thing and reality quite another. You will be given a two weeks probation period at the end of which you may be sent back here for reassignment, with no blame attached, if you decide the work requirements are too onerous or if you don't meet their standards."

"I understand, ma'am. I will. I mean I won't. I mean you won't regret this, ma'am." Ann stammered.

"All right then. You are to report to Mr. Richardson at 7:30 tomorrow morning. Good luck."

"Good afternoon, Mr. White."

"Hello, Annie. I suppose this call will cost me yet another expensive meal."

"It's up to you, sir. I gave her the usual talk and the two weeks probation speech. She will be there à 7:30 to see Mr. Richardson."

"And you're sure she is ready."

"Have I ever been wrong before, sir?"

"Of course not. Okay then, make the reservation and bring me the receipt after you've stuffed your face."

"Yes, sir. I will, sir."

Jack White could her laugh before her phone hit the cradle.

When Annabelle stepped out of the elevator at 7:00am, she was so nervous she stepped back into the lift to make sure she was on the right floor to the amusement of the people waiting for the doors to close.

The lights were on and she could hear what could only be a plan printer swishing. Since the receptionist wasn't at her desk, Ann cautiously walked toward the offices. At the first intersection, she wondered which way to go. Before she could choose, a man came running her way from the left. She tried to intercept him to ask directions to Mr. Richardson's office, but he kept going with a mumbled "No time. Ask John."

Mentally flipping a coin, Ann turned the way he had come, figuring she could expect to find someone to be there. The first few doors were closed. She looked into the office at the first opened one and saw a striking young woman, probably in her late twenties. She looked lean with an athlete's body from what Ann could see. She had smaller breasts than Ann preferred and she assumed her ass would be tight to go with what I could see of her sitting at her CAD station, fully concentrated on the intricate plan displayed on the large screen.

Ann pulled herself back to reality when she realized she was staring and fantasizing. This wasn't the place or time for it. She had had enough of sexual harassment at her last post. No way was she going to make such a poor first impression.

She cleared her throat to get the woman's attention. "Excuse me, Ms."

"Yeah. What?" She grumbled without looking away from the screens.

"I'm sorry to bother you. I'm looking for Mr. Richardson's office. The receptionist isn't at her desk and..."

The woman finally looked at her and Ann was caught by the intensity of her brown eyes. Her face, though fine and delicate, projected confidence and resolution. Ann felt a blush rise up to her ears under the intense gaze.

"Don't you know better than to bother people when they're working?" She growled. She literally growled.

"I'm sorry, Miss... Ms. I'm new here and I was told to report to Mr. Richardson, but I don't know where his office is."

"You're the new Admin?" The woman asked gruffly.

"Yes, ma'am." Ann answered, uncharacteristically uncertain.

"Good." Reaching for a pile of files and documents, the woman handed them to Ann. "Look through these. There are three projects. I want a synopsis by lunch time."

"I... Yes... Certainly, ma'am. Where is my desk?"

"There's an empty office across the corridor. It's got the basic set-up."

"Thank you, ma'am. Do you need a typed report?"

"Don't be silly. You'll never have time for that. Quitting time will be soon enough."

With that, she turned back to her computer. Ann knew when she was dismissed.

She opened the door to the office. It was much smaller than the woman's, but it definitely was not the cubicle she had expected.

An hour later, Ann heard a roar in the corridor.

"Where the hell is she? The new admin was supposed to be in my office at 7:30 and she never showed up."

She saw the back of a tall man standing in the door to the office of the woman who had given her the stack of files. He was yelling at her and she was giving back as good as she was getting.

"I saw her first and I need her, so I put her to work since you're too lazy to be here on time."

"I decide where the part-timers go, not you."

"I need her, so I grabbed her before you could give her to one of your toadies."

"Toadies? I'll give you toadies."

He walked into her office and slammed the door.

'What the hell have I gotten myself into? These people are crazy.' Ann groaned inwardly. 'That must be Mr. Richardson.' She had been so engrossed in the work that she completely forgot about him. What a way to start in a new department.

Annabelle had just decided to make the most of the situation and keep working until he came out of the office when she thought she heard the last thing she expected. Were they laughing?

An older man walked to Ann's temporary office door and looked at her with a gentle smile.

"Ms. Taylor? My name is Jack White. Please follow me." He said.

He took her to his office. From the looks of it, Ann figured he was just another engineer. It was crammed with computers, a CAD station, multiple flat screens, books and plans stacked and laying on every available surface. He cleared a chair and a space on the office couch where he sat after waiting for her to take the chair across the low table.

"I suppose I should expect the children to have their fun with the new kid, but this a serious place of business."

"Yes, sir." Ann said, bewildered.

"Ms. Langston is my head hunter within the company. She has a web of spies all over the place and is on the lookout for the kind of people who would fit with our team. We needed an Admin who was not a stuffy worker bee, but could think for herself and not hesitate to give her opinion, though I must admit you have a particularly direct way of letting your feelings known."

"I... What? I mean..." She stammered.

"Don't worry, Ms. Taylor. He had it coming." The man grinned. "So, I'm told you are a student in Business Administration at the HEC."

"Yes sir. I completed the first year."

"Good. Exactly what we need." He looked at the file he had pulled from the stack on his desk. "I see you have excellent grades and that you are taking three evening courses during the summer."

"Yes, sir. I mean to graduate as soon as possible so I can go on to the MBA. I would have taken more courses, but I also need to work."

"Still, that's quite a work load, Ms. Taylor. Are you sure you can juggle full-time work here on top of your evening classes?"

"Yes, sir. Honestly, it's not a big deal. When I started last September, I expected the courses to be much harder. It's mostly a lot of reading and reports. So, I have plenty of free time which is why I asked for more hours. I was glad when I started to work full-time for the summer. I only wish it hadn't been for that jer... Sorry, sir, I meant for my previous boss."

"Don't apologize. He is a jerk and an asshole and a bastard to boot. Unfortunately, I don't have any say in what goes on in other divisions. But now you're here and I do have something to say about what happens in my own." Jack White saw her blanch. He patted her arm reassuringly. "Don't worry, my dear. We're quite informal here. The important thing is the work. This a good team and we get along just fine with a little effort on everybody's part."

"I'm sorry, Mr. White. I meant no disrespect."

"I told you it's okay. From Ms. Langston's report, you are the kind of woman who does her homework. What have you learned about us?"

"I... I mean... They said..."

"Don't worry. I've heard it all. In fact, most of the rumors have been started by us to keep the undesirables away. Tell me why you wanted to work in the Special Projects Division."

"Well, sir, that's a relief, because I've heard that you were all crazy and that the only reason this division exists is to keep all the nut jobs nobody else wants busy. You are supposed to be a tyrant who makes his employees work crazy hours without paying them overtime. And the employees are said to have to swear blood oaths that they will not talk about what goes on here to anybody else in or out of the firm."

By then the old man was laughing uproariously.

"That's still making the rounds?" He said, once he managed to get himself under control. "It was my idea of a joke years ago. I never expected it to be taken so seriously it would still be around after all that time."

"Well, sir, I don't know how seriously people are taking it, but I heard it spoken in hushed tones as if you were some kind of ogre with some sort of dark hold on your people."

"I'll have to tell the team. They'll have a good laugh at it. Now that we've covered all the reasons why you should not want to work with us, why are you here this morning?"

"You see, sir, when I started to hear all those rumors about the Special Projects Division, I just couldn't believe them. This is a reputable firm, after all. So I researched it and you in particular. The more I found, the more I knew I wanted to be part of it. You are the people others turn to when they're stumped by a problem. You also have a special team which works on secret projects led by a young engineer who has a slew of patents to her name that seem to me to have nothing to do with engineering. In short, your division works outside the box and is at the cutting edge of scientific research. I don't know much about science." She prevaricated. "But I know you need administration and management support and I'm the girl for you, sir."

"You are indeed. You now have an invitation to lunch with me in two weeks to let me know if you are still interested in the job. I cannot, in good conscience, offer it to you right away since we are working on what it will be ourselves. In recent years, we have tried to define it with quite a few Admins with various skillsets, but we always ended up doing it ourselves, the old way. As things stand, my people are needed at tasks other than project management. We will make every effort not to burn you out, but we hope you can follow our rhythm. Our reputation is grizzly enough without having any more Admins running away in tears. So, for now, you are assigned to Ms. Tremblay's team because she needs help the most. Yes, she is the Wicked Witch you met earlier. Don't let her act fool you. Everyone on this floor competes to work with her. That should tell you something."

"Thank you, sir. I won't let you down."

"I'm sure you won't. You've already cost me a gourmet supper for two."

"Sir?"

"Ask Ms. Tremblay. She'll explain. I suppose she gave you more work than you could possibly do in an insanely short amount of time."

"Well, sir, I was doing my best until you asked me here."

"That's quite all right. Tell her I said to double the time she gave you. Now shoo. I've got work to do."

"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir."

On her way out, Ann recognized the man who had gone into her temporary boss' office, though she had only seen him from the back. She returned his grin.

"Ms. Taylor, welcome to the team. Please sign this confidentiality agreement once you've had time to read it. This means before you leave this floor today. It's straightforward and simple enough for the files you will have access to this week." He gave her USB drive. "This is the formal version which I suggest you have checked by an attorney or some sort of legal advisor. It will need to be on my desk as soon as you report to work next Monday."

"Yes, sir. I will, sir."

"My name is John, by the way. We are pretty informal among us and hardly anybody else ever comes to this floor but us stooges. The only 'sir' is the old man in there." He said, pointing to the office she had just left with his thumb.