The Empty Nest Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CharlieB4
CharlieB4
1,251 Followers

She opened the door and leaned in, flashing that smile again.

"You can blink now, and you had best close that mouth or you might swallow a fly!" she said in her school teacher voice.

"What? Oh, yes...Sorry." How did she do that? Every time I had met her, with her first words I was turned into a blabbering idiot.

Giggling at my discomfort, she put her hand on my arm. "It's alright, Jeff. I'm taking the inspection as a compliment."

We chatted about the weather and other inane things on the short drive to the race course. Walking into the marquee I felt like the elephant man standing next to Marilyn Monroe. Most people were already seated and eating, and their eyes followed us after we entered. We walked to where the race club president was organizing the stragglers to get their meals and sit down.

"Jeffrey! I thought you had chickened out. Great to see you here!" He thrust his meaty hand at me and tried his best to crush the bones of my hand in a vigorous hand shake.

"Thanks, Tom. It looks like you have got a great day for it." I extracted my hand and turned to introduce Charlie.

"Tom Ballard this is Charlie..." Shit! I didn't know her last name.

"Madison," Charlie jumped in to save me.

"Charlie is a teacher at the high school. She has been helping me with some French translations," I added, conscious of a disapproving look from Tom's wife seated nearby.

"I might have to send Jenny to Provence so I can get some help!" He took Charlie's hand and bought it up to his lips to kiss the back of it.

"Is this what they do in France?" he inquired.

"No! No! No!" She replied in a French accent. She moved forward placed both her hands on his shoulder then leaned in and gave him a peck on both cheeks.

Tom blushed furiously and his wife looked daggers at us.

"Bugger sending Jenny there, I'll have to go myself if pretty young girls kiss old men like that." He laughed as he ushered us to our seats.

Dinner was a bit of a chore. We were seated between two horsey types who prattled on about their racing experiences. As the luncheon finished and the races were about to start, some people left but most seemed intent on emptying the complimentary bar. Charlie had been to the toilet, and on her return she grabbed my hand and swiped an unattended race book from one of the tables.

"Come on, let's go and have a look at the horses in the first!"

I was reluctant. I had never had a bet in my life. Being an accountant to two bookmakers, I knew where most of the bets ended up. However, I followed along without compliant. It had to be better than hearing about another wonder horse in the marquee.

We found the mounting yard and watched the horses walk around and studied the race book.

"Number six, he's the winner." Charlie stated with some certainty.

"It says here he has finished last in his last two runs!" I pointed to the race book.

"He has the nicest face and his jockey is wearing the prettiest shirt."

"You can't be serious! Number two has come third and second, he has much more chance."

"Why don't you put your money where your mouth is?" Charlie asked defiantly.

We adjourned to the betting ring where I backed the favorite, number two, to win and Charlie took the roughy, number six, each way. We made it back to the finish line just as the horses were going into the barrier. In the home straight it was a three way fight between numbers two, six and four. We were both screaming, urging our selections on as they flashed past the winning post in front of us. Number four got the photo by a nose, then six followed by number two. Charlie squealed and laughed and I put on a scowl as we went to collect her winnings.

The day continued in the same pattern, we would return to the marquee for refreshments before going to the mounting yard to make our selection. Next, place our bets before making our way to the winning post to cheer our horses home. It was a great day and the most fun I've had in years. At the end of the meeting Charlie was up fifty dollars and I was down the same amount, so together we broke square.

We walked back to the car, talking excitedly about our wins and losses. Neither of us were paying attention to where we were walking and Charlie slipped on a patch of wet grass and stumbled against me. I grabbed her to prevent her from falling and suddenly we were in each other's arms. We went quiet and looked at each other for a moment, I had an urge to kiss those soft lips, but I didn't. I was a married man.

Straightening up, we continued to the car more subdued than before. The trip home was quiet, too. Parking in her driveway, I left the motor running. Charlie leaned across and kissed my cheek and thanked me for the day.

"I'd invite you in for a coffee but David will be home soon, and I haven't had another man in the house since his dad passed away."

"That's okay, I'm a married man... Well... yes anyway... Why do I get so tongue tied around you?"

"It's sweet."

I pulled a face, sweet was like being called nice.

"No really! I mean it, so many guys trot out the lines like a recording. That just shows they use them too often."

"I wasn't trying... To, you know, it was just a fun day."

"I know, we both have a lot of stuff to deal with... but here's a tip. Next time I slip and you catch me like that, give me a kiss!"

She leaned over and kissed my cheek again, and then she was out of the car before I could think of a reply.

Chalk one up for experience! A very good experience. In the last twelve months they had been few and far between. It felt great that this tall skinny accountant could be desirable. I also felt superior because I hadn't weakened even though temptation was strong. All right, weakened might be the wrong word, more like I didn't have a clue. However, my end of the marriage contract was still intact, for what that was worth.


CharlieB4
CharlieB4
1,251 Followers