The End of My Wife's Affair

Story Info
Married woman must choose between her husband & lover.
3.4k words
2.97
106.9k
26
0
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
zeke81
zeke81
1,975 Followers

I had agonized about it for weeks, should I open the envelope or not? Six months ago I discovered that my wife of 9 years Sara had been having a long term affair with a man named Steve. I had been able to determine that their relationship had been going on for at least five years and perhaps even longer.

When I realized that my son and two daughters might not really be mine it broke my heart. I took the three children ages 5, 3, and 1 to a doctor out of town and after giving him $1,000 for some discretion had him do a paternity test on each of the children to see if I was their father.

Now here I sat with the results in my hand sitting inside an envelope. I'd had the envelope for several weeks now and I still hadn't opened it. I wanted to know the truth, but I was afraid of what the truth might mean. If I wasn't the father of one or all of the children how would I react?

Even if I was the father of all three what was I going to do about my wife's affair?

I sat there agonizing, until finally I mustered the courage to open the envelope. With tears in my eyes I unfolded the papers within.

In an instant my heart was broken. All three of the children that I had believed were my own offspring had been fathered by another man.

My pain quickly became rage as I thought about how my wife had been lying to me. For years she had been telling me that she had never known love until she'd met me and that she could never be as happy with anyone else as she was with me. She told me that "our" children looked just like me. She told me that we'd be together forever.

I decided to put that last part to the test. She would be getting back soon. She said that she was going to the mall, but I suspected that she was going to see him.

I knew that things could get ugly so I took the kids to my parents' house a few blocks away.

I gathered up all of the evidence that I had of her affair. Other than the paternity tests I had phone records showing a lot of calls to his number, emails that she had forgotten to delete from our computer and an audio recording of the two of them that I had gotten by leaving a tape recorder under the bed on a day that I knew he was coming over.

But the most damning evidence against her was the paternity tests so I made sure that they were front and center.

When she walked into the kitchen she had some shopping bags in her hands.

"What's going on? It looks like you're doing our taxes." Sara said.

"Oh no, this is much more important than taxes. Have a seat and tell me if you can explain this." I said.

"What, did I over charge the credit card again?" Sara asked with a laugh.

She sat down across the table from me and picked up one of the paternity tests. She was smiling as she started reading it, but her expression went blank and her face went pale when she got to the results themselves. She picked up the second one, then the third; she sank lower and lower in her chair and she turned paler and paler as she found that I knew that all three of the children I had been raising as my own had been fathered by another man.

Sara didn't speak, so I did.

"Those three pieces of paper show that you've been cheating on me for at least six years Sara. You'll also find phone records that show that you have made an average of 24 calls per week to a number registered to a Steve Hanson. There is also a tape recording made 16 days ago as the two of you fuck in our marital bed. I assume that if a paternity test were to be done against Mr. Hanson's DNA it would be a perfect match for all three of the children. What I want to know is why Sara? Why would you do this to me? Didn't you love me?" I asked.

"Of course I love you." Sara whimpered.

"Then how could you carry on a relationship with him for that long? How could you let another man father your children and then tell me that they were mine? How could you do that?" I asked.

"John I'm sorry. I didn't know that the children weren't yours. I knew there was a chance that one or two of them might not be, but I always believed that they were yours; there was no doubt in my mind." Sara said.

"Well believing something doesn't make it true Sara, Steve Hanson is the father of your children not me, there it is in black and white." I said.

"I'm so sorry John." Sara said.

"Yeah, you're sorry that I found out." I said angrily.

"No John, I'm sorry for what I've done to you. I want you to believe me that I truly do love you and that I had no idea that the children weren't yours." Sara said.

"How can I believe anything you say knowing that you've been lying to me for so long?" I asked.

"After what I've done I guess I can't expect you to believe me, but I'd at least like a chance to explain myself." Sara said.

"I'm listening." I said.

"Do you remember how we were having problems in our marriage before I got pregnant the first time?" Sara asked.

"Yeah, that was a pretty dark stretch for us." I said.

"Well it was during that time that I met Steve. He spent a lot of time at the coffee shop and we started talking. He was so nice to me and seemed to genuinely care about my problems, and considering you and I were having problems right then it was nice to have someone that I could open up to. It didn't take very long before I found myself wanting to give myself to him. I was so mad at you at the time that the fact that I was married didn't bother me so we started having sex. With the physical and emotional relationship I had with Steve as an outlet, things between you and I started getting better. Then when I got pregnant our relationship became stronger than ever as we prepared for what I was certain was our child. I wanted to break up with Steve, but I found that I was in love with him. I was confused by being in love with two men. I wasn't sure who I wanted to be with so I didn't break things off with him. My relationship with you has always taken top priority since we are married and we live together, but I've been seeing Steve as frequently as possible up until recently." Sara said.

"What changed recently?" I asked.

"The day after you made that tape we met for coffee and Steve asked me to marry him. He told me he was tired of sharing me with you and that he wanted me for himself. I told him that I could never leave you, that you would have to be the one to divorce me, and he said that if you found out about us that you would divorce me. He said that he was so eager to get you out of the picture that he was willing to come over here and tell you in person all about our relationship. The thought of that confrontation made me cry, I could just see the two men I love killing each other. I told him that if you found out about us because he told you or did something to make sure you found out that I'd leave him no matter what you decided to do." Sara said.

"Well he didn't tell me. I figured it out on my own. I have one more question for you. What do you want?" I asked.

"What do I want? I want to rewind the clock a few hours and stay there so that I would never have to be sitting here now. I want to go back even further and never meet Steve so none of this would have ever happened. I want my life to make sense again, and I want to be able to stop living a secret life." Sara said.

"Well there's no secret left as far as I can tell. I know about you and Steve, and we both know that Steve is the father of the children, unless you've got some other big secret that you're sitting on I think that pretty well covers the secrets. As for going back in time to keep this from happening I can't help you there." I said.

"So what do we do now?" Sara asked.

"That depends entirely on you. You're the person at the heart of this situation; whatever happens from here on in will have the biggest impact on you." I said.

"I don't know what to do; I don't even know what to think right now." Sara said.

"Well, I'm letting you know right now that I refuse to be one of two men in your life so you need to make a choice. You can stay with me, go with him, or be on your own, but I won't stay with you if you keep seeing him." I said.

"You're asking me to choose between you?" Sara asked.

"Yes I am Sara, and I don't think it's an unreasonable request. You said that Steve wanted me out of the picture so the two of you could be together. If that's what you want I'll give you a divorce, wish you luck and be on my way. If however you want to stay with me then you would need to stop seeing him." I said.

"What about the children?" Sara asked.

"They have no idea who their real father is, and since it would no doubt traumatize them to find out I don't see any reason they need to know. If you stay with me I will continue to raise them as if they were my own. It would be a little hard knowing that they aren't really mine, but they would never know. If you decide to go with Steve they could still be raised to believe that I am their father to spare them the confusion. If however you decide that it is important that they know the truth I would prefer that they get it out of the way quickly so they can build good relationships with their real father while they are still young." I said.

"So you would raise them as your own as if nothing was different?" Sara asked.

"Yes I would." I said.

"I'm gonna need some time to think about this. This isn't the kind of decision that you can make in an instant." Sara said.

"I'll give you one week. I will expect your answer by noon next Saturday or I will file for divorce the following Monday morning. The kids are at my parents' house, I'll be at a motel, but I'll be back here at noon next Saturday for your answer." I said.

I got up from the table, went and packed a bag really quick and went and checked into a motel. I didn't hear from Sara all week, and though I drove past the house several times I didn't see the black pickup that I had identified as Steve's in the driveway.

On Saturday I drove over to the house and let myself in at about 11:30. I was surprised that Sara wasn't there. She and the kids were nowhere to be found. She knew that I was going to be here for an answer at noon so I figured that she'd run the kids over to my parents' house so they wouldn't be here when it all went down.

I grabbed a drink out of the fridge and walked into the living room. On the coffee table I found a look into Sara's two relationships. On the right was a pile of pictures and other things that she had collected from our relationship, our wedding album, the love letters I had sent her when we were dating, a copy of our marriage certificate, and a lot of other stuff. On the left were some pictures of her and Steve together, letters they had written each other, print outs of emails they had sent back and forth, and other things like that. I couldn't help but notice that my pile was bigger.

I sat down and looked through the pile of things that she had collected from our relationship more closely. They brought back a lot of really great times and some bad ones. The obituary for her parents from 4 years ago when they were killed by a drunk driver that had been one of my best friends. Copies of the kids' birth certificates. I had mixed feelings about these as I remembered how thrilled and proud I was to become a father only to find out later that none of the children was mine and that I was still not a father.

I heard her car pull up and I sat there holding a picture of the two of us when we were dating and thought back to those extremely happy days as I prepared for what could be the longest few minutes of my life.

I stood up as she walked through front door and for over a minute we just stood and stared at each other silently.

Then she dropped her keys and purse and ran into my arms and buried her head in my chest as she began to cry.

For a few minutes I just held her as she sobbed into my shoulder. I stroked her back and rocked gently side to side as we stood there silently.

Eventually she pulled her head up and looked me in the eyes.

"I'm so sorry about all this John." Sara said.

"I know, I am too Sara. It's just about noon; I'm going to need your decision." I said.

"I choose you. I've already told Steve. That's where I just came from. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. The only thing that could have been harder would have been saying goodbye to you. I love Steve, and I probably always will, but I didn't love him enough to give up all that I have with you, but I do love you enough to cut him out of my life." Sara said.

"I'm glad you made this decision. Now we can get on with our lives." I said.

Just then Steve burst through the door.

"Sara, baby, you've got to reconsider. What about all the great times we had together? What about all the pain he caused you?" Steve asked.

"Steve, just go. This has been hard enough already, I don't want this to get out of hand." Sara said.

"How can you just throw our love away?" Steve asked.

"She isn't throwing it away Steve, she's sacrificing it. She weighed her love for both of us and chose me. It will take time for everyone to heal, but it's best for everyone if we just move on with our lives." I said.

"Oh sure, you can say that because Sara didn't dump you." Steve said.

"No she didn't Steve, she dumped you. She told me that you wanted her to divorce me so the two of you could get married and she said no to that idea. I told her that if she couldn't choose between us then it would be best if she separated herself from both of us and she didn't choose that. She chose to remain with me, she didn't come to the decision lightly, so we all need to accept what has happened and move on with our lives." I said.

"I'm not gonna stand around and let you move on with the woman I love." Steve said.

"Steve, let me make something clear to you. When I found out about your affair the only thing that kept me from killing you was that Sara loved you and I knew it would break her heart if I were to kill you. When evaluating her options she chose me over you, which means that you have no right or reason to be in our house right now. So please leave or I will call the police and have you removed." I said.

"You think you can make me leave? What about now?" Steve asked.

Steve had pulled a gun and pointed it at me.

"Oh, are you going to shoot me? Do you think that's a good way to get Sara back, to murder the man she chose instead of you right in front of her." I said.

"You're right, if I kill you she won't take me back. She's made her decision, she doesn't want me. Well if I can't have her, maybe nobody else should either. Yeah, if I kill her you can't have her either." Steve said.

He pointed the gun at Sara.

"You'd better kill me first Steve, because if you shoot her I swear to God that I will torture you for months before I let you die." I said.

Steve returned his attention to me, but he lowered his guard for a moment and I grabbed the gun, pulled it from his hands and pointed it at him.

"Now, I suggest that you leave. The lady has made her choice." I said.

"Oh, are you going to shoot me now?" Steve asked.

"I'm not going to shoot you Steve. You aren't worth going to jail for. I understand your pain. If Sara had picked you instead of me I'd be heart broken and angry too. I don't think I'd have brought a gun with me, but I'd have confronted you about the situation. Now get out of here before I call the police." I said.

I removed the clip from the gun and un-chambered the bullet that was ready to fire and I tossed the gun to the floor near the door.

Steve looked at Sara who was cowering behind me, then up at me. He hung his head and turned towards the still open door. He picked up his gun, got in his truck, and drove away.

I turned to Sara and found that she was crying and shaking.

I took her in my arms and held her. I sat down on the couch and pulled her onto my lap. We sat there in silence for several minutes, and then she spoke.

"It's funny, if he had killed you it would have killed me, but if you had pulled the trigger I would have been sad but I wouldn't have been devastated." Sara said.

"I guess you made the right choice then, if it would have hurt more to lose the man that you chose." I said.

"I think we should move. Get away from this town, this place, start over somewhere new where there won't be that dark shadow over our heads." Sara said.

"Well, I could put in for a transfer to one of our other locations." I said.

"Let's get started on it right away. The sooner we get out of here the better." Sara said.

We took all of the stuff that she had collected on her relationship with Steve into the back yard and threw it into our fire barrel. We burned the pictures, the notes, the email transcripts, as well as the paternity test results, as far as the children were going to know I was their father.

I got transferred to one of my company's other locations and we're very happy here. We have added another son and we have twins on the way. A month after we moved Steve killed himself, and I can't help but feel for him. After all he loved Sara too, and I know just how much it would hurt to lose her.

zeke81
zeke81
1,975 Followers