The Ensigns of Detection Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Except the murder likely occurred Saturday, not Friday." Cindy said.

"It may still be a good thing." I said. "Keep going, Martin."

Nash kept going: "Myron's credit card checks showed no activity Friday or Saturday night on Mr. Stevens's card, nor his son's card. However, Mr. Stevens's cellphone pinged off the tower nearest Riverside Tavern all day Friday and into Friday evening, with several phone calls being made from that phone. I checked around, and found that the hardware store chain Mr. Stevens is a part of was having a regional meeting. The hardware store franchisees meet, place orders for next year's inventory, and such stuff."

"Circumstantial." said Cindy, playing Devil's Advocate.

"But pretty strong, nonetheless." I replied. "Okay, Martin, you've done a huge job, here. Start planning your interrogations and work with Paulina on a transition to a legal case... that is, of course, if Stevens doesn't have a massive explanation for some things. In the meantime, let's go to the Grayson/Wilkins cases."

"Why don't you save us time, and let us get to our respective dinner parties," said Cindy, "and just tell us the solution now." By that, Cindy meant that I had the reception at the Wellmans to attend, while she, Teresa, Todd, Barry Oliver, and Seth were having a dinner hosted by Joanne.

"Well, I do have enough data to form some opinions." I said. "But the really huge problem here is putting it into a neat package, tying it with a bow, and presenting it to ADA Patterson. Since she's pregnant, of course we want to present her with an easy, stress-free case with an assured conviction to follow."

With that, I proceeded to outline the basics of my case, omitting all details of Emma Washburn and the iPad tablet. When I finished, I had a lot of very stunned people looking at me.

"So, Crowbarrrr," said the Chief, "how are you going to make that dream of making that neat and easy case for Ms. Patterson happen?"

"I hope," I said, "that by noon tomorrow that will take care of itself. Lt. Croyle did an excellent job of planting the seeds, and we will now have to see if that bears fruit..."

Part 18 - Family Resemblances

"Mmm, this is very good." said Cindy, as she tasted the appetizer. "What is it?"

"Venison." said Joanne. "I marinaded it for 24 hours, then grilled it with a sweet glaze sauce. Melina has used all her tags for the season and gave me two of the deer, and now I have a freezer full to cook for you guys."

"Wow, you're very good at cooking it, too." Teresa said. "Venison is not easy to get right."

"She and I are both getting practice." said Seth. "I'm learning how to cook deer steaks."

"The Commander asked for the leftovers, such as the good meat around the spine." said Joanne. "He says he's going to make stew in a slow cooker, then strain out the bones. I'd never thought of doing that."

"That should work very well." said Teresa. "Slow cook it 10-12 hours, the meat will just fall off the bone."

"Does this County have a Police Force or a Wild Game Cooking Academy?" asked Todd with his brilliant grin. Everyone laughed.

"Speaking of that," said Barry Oliver, "that woman that was killed a few months ago, Emma Washburn, she was giving cooking classes at places, and was going to open a catering service. It's too bad she was killed, that would've been really good."

"Yes, my friend Sean said something about that." said Todd. He did not mention that he and Sean were friends because they were both members of the S.E.X. unofficial fraternity for well-hung studs. "Too bad she was killed, and by Sean's mom, too."

"I think I can relate to how he feels." said Seth, whose mother Karla Warner had murdered Michelle Schelle in Michelle's hot tub in 'The Swap' case... a case solved by Your Iron Crowbar.

"I'm trying to get Seth to visit his mom in prison, and make amends with her." said Joanne. "Jesus said to remember those in prison."

"I think we all have our family issues." said Todd. "My own mother was in and out of jail."

"Todd, your entire family story could be made into a soap opera." said Cindy. "And that includes me and your uncle as part of it. At least my mother and your grandmother are the normal ones." Todd grinned again.

"What about your mother, Teresa?" Joanne asked. It got quiet in the room.

"My mother died in childbirth with me." Teresa said. "I never knew her."

"Aw, I'm sorry." said Joanne. "I didn't know that."

"It's okay." said Teresa. "I've learned some things about her, and my father, in the last few months. Apparently she was a patient, quiet woman. Obviously I did not inherit those traits."

"Oh I dunno," said Todd, "working with my uncle and cousin here, you show great patience."

"If I had my crowbar with me," Cindy said, "I would be waving it at you like I do your uncle." That had Barry Oliver beginning to laugh.

"You know," said Joanne, musing, "my cousin John, who ran for the State Senate, he said that someone prominent in the County's wife died in childbirth..."

"I think it was Edward Steele's wife." said Seth. "His daughter Selena, her mom died in childbirth with her."

"Oh really?" asked Cindy. Gears had suddenly begun turning in her head. "I could've sworn Don... er, the Commander, was going to a reception for Mr. Steele's wife tonight."

"Maybe Mr. Steele remarried." Seth said.

"Could be." Joanne said, and everyone could tell she was thinking hard of something. "But... maybe it wasn't Mr. Steele I was thinking of. I'll have to ask John if it was Mr. Steele or someone else."

"Speaking of relating to things," said Sean, "I can relate to how you, Cindy, learned about your biological father. That happened to me after my father, Anthony Warner, that is, was killed."

"Yes, you can understand." said Cindy. "But I have to say, I knew Dr. Eckhart even though I didn't know he was my father, and I knew what a great man he is. You never met the Reverend Jonas Oldeeds, did you?" Out of the side of her vision, Cindy noticed Todd's face change just a wee bit as he looked down at his plate.

"I remember seeing him as a child." said Seth. "He and my parents were friends for a number of years after Karen and I were born. But I don't remember much about him. And from what I've learned in recent months... I'm probably glad I didn't."

"Speaking of fathers one didn't know he had," said Teresa, "how is your father doing, Todd?"

"Oh, he's doing okay, I guess." Todd said. "He and Jeanine went to Florida. I wish they'd have left little Jack with me, but they didn't."

"Like Doug is not a handful by himself?" asked Teresa.

"Oh, Doug is so cute!" gushed Joanne. "And he loves you, Teresa. By the way, Cindy, when is your sister going to have her baby?"

"Any day now." Cindy said. "I will not be shocked if our Thanksgiving Dinner with the Commander is interrupted by a trip to the hospital..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You look good." said my wife as we finished dressing. The reception was not formal, so Laura was wearing a black-and-white horizontally-striped dress and high heel black pumps. I was wearing a dark gray suit with a light blue tie... no Wildcat Red tonight.

"You look good, too, as always." I said.

"No uniform, either." said Laura, then teased my by adding "Nobody will recognize you."

"That would be a good thing." I said. "And since this is going to be just about all Academia, I'll blend in a little better."

"Darling, you stand out no matter where you are." Laura said. "And every woman in the room will be looking at you." She was being very flirtatious with me tonight.

"No, I'm just the guy who is accompanying you to the party." I replied. "And very proud of that, I might add."

"Aww, you're sweet." she said. "You are going to have one hell of a long, hard night tonight, mister."

"I can't wait." I said. "Speaking of that... where are our children, not to mention their guard dog?"

"They are at The Cabin, with Molly, Tanya, little Pete, and Pete's grandmother Pamela Feeley." said Laura. "If Molly goes into labor, Tanya will get her to the hospital and call me, and Pamela will keep our kids, and Ross and Little Pete, until reinforcements arrive."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The reception at University President Sidney P. Wellman's home was indoors, as it was cold outside. There was no truly formal reception line, but Wellman and his wife Sally would be with the Steeles, and everyone would make their way up to greet them.

As we approached, I saw the Wellmans. Sally was looking very nice in her off-white and navy dress, with navy high heel pumps. I remembered my little bet with her, in which I won the opportunity to fuck her brains out in her own bed, and I made a mental note to remind her that I fully intended to make that claim.

Next to the Wellmans was Edward Steele. His black hair was beginning to turn gray, and he was still in good shape. He was not particularly handsome, but not bad looking, and I could see some of where Selena got her good looks. I did not see Selena immediately as I looked around.

Next to Edward was a woman about his age, in her early fifties. Her hair was a very light brown, and I had the feeling that it was her natural hair color. She had a curvy, hourglass body. Her legs were okay, her thighs beginning to put on some flesh. Her face was not beautiful like Selena's, but 'okay'; she was beginning to put on a bit of flesh on her cheeks and chin and under her neck. She was trying to stay in shape but would one day become 'dumpy'. Bad of me to think, I know, but that is what I do when observing people.

"Who is that with Edward Steele?" I asked.

"His wife, Stephanie." said Laura. "She's the honoree at this reception. You've never met her because she was on a sabbatical to Hawaii and New Zealand."

"That's right, she's getting the Copernicus Chair of Physics and Astronomy, isn't she?"

"Shhh!" admonished Laura. "How did you find out about that? Even she doesn't know; it's going to be a surprise for her... she thinks she's just getting a full professorship."

I saw Chief Moynahan arrive, with my mother as his escort. His wife had died of cancer a few years before, and I'd arranged for my mother to be his date for the evening. He was going to be introduced as the new Chief tonight.

"You're not going to tell me?" Laura said.

"How I know about Dr. Steele's new appointment?" I said with a cryptic smile, teasing my wife. "Well, I can't tell all of my secrets, can I? Maybe after I'm totally exhausted in bed after long hours of trying to keep up with you..."

"Mmmm, you are a bad, bad man." Laura said. "And I love you for it. Oh, there's Selena."

Indeed, the beautiful woman had come up to her parents, and we began moving towards the line to greet them, when it hit me...

"Don?" Laura said when I stopped suddenly, staring, in a reverie. "Don, are you okay?"

"Uh, yeah..." I said, trying to recover. "Yeah, I'm fine... I just realized something."

My mother walked up to us. "Ah, son, you've seen it, too, haven't you?"

Indeed I was seeing it, but I was seeing more... far more than even my mother realized.

"Yes..." I said. "I think I understand now why the Black Widow was trying to kill Selena..."

To be continued.

Dear Readers, you have the clues. Who killed Dr. Laramie Wilkins? Who killed Michael Campbell Fulton? And why? Answers a'comin...