The Exchange Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What foolish controversy's bothered all of you?"

That was Nitishila's grandmother, the Empress Dowager.

If they weren't all technically on their way somewhere, they would've have knelt to her. Instead, they gave quick bows as the Empress Dowager approached.

She was wearing rich clothing of rainbow cloth, with flowers and ants embroidered in a dainty pattern.

Princess Inka gave her favorite little smile and asked the old woman, "Has the Elegant Dowager enjoyed my gift?"

Nodding, Nitishila's grandmother said to her, "It's suitable, Girl. Very Suitable."

It was that day that everyone learned Princess Inka had indeed ordered rainbow cloth, but only as a gift for the Empress Dowager.

Lataa made a rippling laugh, clearly acting as if this was all funny, but Nitishila could see the tightness in her eyes. A bit disgusted with her, he looked away and happened to point his eyes to Jorun, his wife's attendant.

Jorun was discreetly sneaking little peeks at Lataa. Her pale green eyes were very curious.

***

"HOW DARE THAT STUPID FOREIGNER EMBARRASS ME!!"

Lataa sent a favorite vase into the nearest wall, shattering it. She regretted it instantly, but she didn't blame herself. She blamed Princess Inka.

"THAT STUPID BITCH HAS RUINED MY VASE!!"

So, she broke more vases. Then she tore the curtains off some windows, knocked over a lamp (thank goodness it was still daylight and the lamp was unlit), kicked a few maids out of her way, put a hole in an open frame of wood that bordered a doorway, tore some of her own clothing in half, and threw her own jewelry out the broken windows. She was a blazing tornado. The only reason the guards didn't come in was because they were quite used to all the noise.

Rahki was too frightened to try to calm her down. She decided to hide in in the food pantry, folded up between a sack of potatoes and a sack of carrots.

***

"Does my mistress truly think that princess is so horrible?" Jorun asked in Eiraglan. She was practicing some embroidery while Inka worked at her loom. Inka had already sent her last tapestry right to Princess Lataa's apartment. She couldn't say how that princess had reacted to it.

"You've misunderstood me," Inka said as she weaved threads into her warp. She also used Eiraglan. None of the servants could understand their words. "I don't know enough of her personality to claim she's horrible."

It had been a couple of days since the performance in the theatre.

Jorun tied a small knot in a finished line of her work. "I suppose that's fair. Maybe you should ask your new family about her?"

"I don't want anyone to assume I have bitter feelings, and I have none."

Threading her needle again, Jorun said, "I'm glad you don't have any. Princess Lataa might not be so horrible, and she's quite pretty."

Inka slammed her bars into her threads, packing them well. "Don't ever let a person's beauty fool you."

"Don't fret, Your Highness. I've learned much from you."

Inka's eyelids constricted, but otherwise she showed no other reaction to Jorun's words.

On the morning after that conversation, Inka took a walk around a communal garden with Jorun at her side. The sky was cloudy and the air was cool. They sat on the edge of a fountain that had a sleeping dragon in the center. Off in the distance, past a short border of round flower bushes, they happened to see Princess Lataa walking with Prince Nitishila. Jorun tugged on her shoulder and asked with a grin, "Shouldn't we greet them?"

Inka shook her head and looked in a different direction. "They might've decided to have their own time together. Let's not impose."

Jorun's face seemed to wilt, but her back remained straight. "But ... if they approach, we'd have little choice but to greet them, wouldn't we?"

After giving a tiny sigh, Inka said, "Yes, that's true."

"Do you think they might approach?"

Looking back at the sleeping dragon's curled body and long snout, Inka replied in a tired voice, "Whether they do or not, I won't lose any sleep."

She heard Jorun's baggy pants ruffle as she playfully kicked the air. "You've been sleeping much better lately."

"So have you." Inka turned her head back to smile at Jorun. The redhead looked a bit ruddier than normal. That was a good sign. "You sleep so much better with rain on the roof."

Jorun nodded and smiled at her. Her freckles seemed much more charming when she smiled. "I wonder if a hurricane would knock me out."

"I'd hate to be in a position to find out." Inka noticed that her husband and sister-in-law were moving out of sight, but she managed to see the prince hand the princess a flower. That was fine. Inka had no ill will about it.

But still, her brain was moiling. Her teal eyes were acute. The arches of her feet tingled and her palms itched.

"Beauty seems firmly planted in Imperial Royal Family," Inka said.

"That's so, Mistress." Jorun put her hands on her lap. "Even the Dowager has her elegant and noble charm. She must have been frighteningly pretty in her youth. And Princess Lataa looks like a nimble dancer."

Inka highly doubted that the princess was much of a dancer, though.

***

12