The Exchange Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Some moments later, Inka left her swing to go inside and look for the required materials. She had plenty of golden thread that glimmered in the light. She was soon sitting by a window, with a stand holding up a rectangular frame keeping the white silk tight. She used a thin, light utensil to carefully draw important outlines. Close by, Jorun was at a small desk and copying lines from a book.

But at one point, Inka's utensil was held in the air as she thoughtfully said, "My husband ... and my mother-in-law, their last encounters with the previous Emperor were violent. There must be an abundance of regret in their hearts."

"Does my mistress have any regret in hers?" Jorun asked without looking up.

"I don't know if my answer would be adequate," Inka replied, "but I do wish I could've calmed that Emperor's temper."

***

The Coronation Ceremony had very simple actions involved, but the decorations were elaborate. The new Emperor and Empress Consort were no less adorned. Every movement of their bodies made clanging and chiming noises. They wore matching sets of several, several pieces. White and pink pearls, red coral beads, and faceted blue sapphires. They were pinned, draped, and encircled all over the couple.

A man wearing white and brown feathers on his vest's back soon approached the couple down the rug in the magnificent banquet hall. He was a priest, and the many guests were watching him. Behind him, there were two apprentice priests, and they each had a gold-plated chest in their arms.

At the tiered platform, where the couple waited, the priest opened each chest. From one of them, he took a tall, heavily bejeweled crown of gold. Then he waited for Nitishila to walk down to meet him. Nitishila personally removed some pins from his turban and slightly unraveled it without removing the thing.

Very carefully, the priest placed the crown on Nitishila's head, and he helped the new Emperor wrap the turban again, trapping the crown in its place. When he was finished, the high crown stuck out like a post. The same treatment was given to Inka, although she had to be cautious and not reveal her short hair. It was better to have the guests assume her hair was wrapped away in an updo. The new crown on her head felt quite heavy.

Applause. It echoed all around. The priest and his apprentices prostrated themselves before the Emperor, Empress Consort, and the new Empress Dowager.

Then it was time for the party.

Dancers moved with a rhythm that reminded Inka of a heartbeat. The guests cheered with their drinks in their hands. One of Inka's favorite meals served to her was few spears of pickled cucumbers with grilled meats and warm bread. She took so much wine that she had to lean into Nitishila to keep from falling over. She wouldn't normally drink so much, but Nitishila had cheerfully pressured her. "Try this one! This one's lovely! Could you fancy this one?" So many different varieties of alcohol, but Inka had thought they all tasted the same.

When the party was finished, Inka could hardly move without the scenery flopping about like a freshly caught fish. She heard Nitishila call out her name. Then she felt his branch-like arms under her body. She couldn't even remember when she'd been lifted up. Her stomach felt weak and sour.

The next thing she could understand was that her head was painfully throbbing like a finger that had been caught in the way of a slammed door. Then, when she opened her eyes, it got worse. Daylight pierced her and made her want to scream. Her throat was tight and burning.

"Good morning, my Empress." That was Nitishila behind her. His tone was so loving and proud, but she hated hearing it. She felt a pillow under her head and a mattress supporting her body.

"Hnnnnnnnn ... everything is pain." Inka closed her eyes and pushed her face into the pillow.

His large hand patted her back. "I shouldn't have made you drink so much wine last night."

"You understand that now?" she said with her muffled voice. "You didn't understand that during the celebrations?"

He gently curled his hand over her arm. "It seems that when I'm being foolish, I never know until after the damage has been done."

"At the next banquet," Inka said in her pillow, "I'll refuse you without a care for what anyone would say. You're not the only one who learned a lesson."

A kiss on her shoulder.

"Fret not, my Empress. An Emperor needs wisdom, and I'll gather as much as I can."

She sighed again. Then she demanded a cup of water.

***

12