The Fall of York Ch. 40-48

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Abigail momentarily wondered if Lawrence was going to challenge the rude Major to a duel.

"No-one has suggested anything of the sort, Captain. Now if you'll don your uniform we'll be leaving for Kingston immediately." The Major stood up, followed a fraction of a second later by the two Lieutenants.

"I require a couple of more days to finish my work here, sir. In the meantime, York has a fine inn or perhaps one of the local dignitaries would be willing to lodge you?"

"We're leaving now, Captain. Get your uniform on!"

With that, the Major strode out of the house. The two Lieutenants looked shocked, then rolled their eyes and followed their commanding officer out the door.

"What a..." began Abigail.

"Millie might be within hearing and begin to think such language is proper for a lady, my dear," interrupted Lawrence.

"I'll get your uniform ready upstairs. Will you be all right?"

"Everything will be fine. I've met his ilk before; Generals like to send them out on useless missions to keep them from the front line troops as much as possible. Nothing the Major says will be given much credence. And I suspect the Lieutenants were sent along to use up some of their youthful energy and give them some familiarity with the road between Kingston and York."

Lawrence began to follow Abigail to the stairs, when he heard a tap at the front door. He shrugged his shoulders at Abigail's inquisitive look and went to answer it. Opening the door, he found Lieutenant Lumley holding a satchel.

"There was mail for you, sir." The young officer glanced back at the Major, who was busy checking his gear, then he leaned toward Lawrence. "Sir," he whispered, "please thank your wife for her hospitality, from myself and Jones. The Major intended you to open your mail on the way back to Kingston as he's quite curious about the contents."

Lawrence took the satchel, thanked the Lieutenant and then closed the door. He opened the leather pouch only to find a bundle of letters. Dropping the bag by the door, he thumbed through the correspondence and found that they were personal letters for him, from his family in England. He ran for the stairs and rushed up, taking them two at a time.

Abigail whirled in astonishment as he ran into the room.

"Here, read them as fast as you can while I'm dressing!" he urged.

Abigail undid the string and let the letters fall to their bed. "There's one from your father, Lord Orr. There's one from a Michael Orr and one from a Henry Orr."

"My brothers. Henry's the eldest."

"There's a fourth letter from a Mr. Peabody."

"The name sounds familiar, but I cannot place it. Read the one from Michael first; he always gets right to the point. Just read it to yourself and give me a synopsis."

"All right," responded Abigail. She read through the letter as quick as she could. Lawrence was almost finished as she began speaking. "Your family is all doing well and someone named Rebecca has had twin boys."

"That's Henry's wife. She's a lot like your sister Barbara," he explained.

"Hmm. Your brother hopes to have a seat in the Upper House within ten years. That would make it two Lords in your family, would it not?"

"Yes. Do you hope it would be three?" he asked teasingly.

"For your sake, yes my lord," and she curtsied. "Your family was overjoyed to hear of your marriage and they suggested it would be better if you 'return to England with your bride' rather than stay in the colonies."

"Ha! Michael knows me well enough to realize I won't be returning."

"Lastly, my husband, I have the most important news." Abigail smiled mischievously.

"I have no time to play that game you enjoy so much..." he reminded her.

"Oh, very well! Your family is sending all of your personal possessions over from England along with a wedding gift of roughly two thousand pounds!"

"My belongings! That's wonderful! Wait a minute...did you say...?"

"Yes..."

"I have to go! If the money arrives while I'm away then spend it as you see fit. I intend to use it to buy you a better home and I'd like to use some of it to help rebuild York. I'm sure Reverend Strachan would have some good ideas in that regard."

"Yes, I'm sure," agreed Abigail sourly.

Lawrence grabbed her arms and pulled her close. "I'm going to miss you every second I'm away. My duties just don't seem to mean as much when they take me away from you."

She put her palm on his cheek. "I love you, too."

He leaned down and kissed her tenderly. Then they went downstairs together.

Abigail stood in the doorway and watched Lawrence mount and then ride off with the other officers. Then she went to the kitchen, where Millie was already working on dinner.

"Millie, go and fetch Jacob, please. I have some work for him."

The maid left, while Abigail wondered where they were going to put Lawrence's personal belongings in this small house. That was the first time she had thought of her home as being small, she realized. She decided to invite the Reverend over for dinner and tell him the good news. She could use his help in finding a suitable home, one that would make others see Lawrence as a man of importance. She knew Strachan had plans for her husband and she also knew this two thousand pounds would go a long way to making life better for Lawrence, her and the people of York, if it was used wisely.

44

As they approached the smithy, Lawrence tried to attract the Major's attention. After deliberately ignoring the Captain for a full minute, the superior officer asked him what he wanted.

"I have some brief business to conduct with the smith's son before I leave York." Lawrence could see John staring out the window at the four mounted officers who were temporarily stopped in front of his father's place.

The Major thought the matter over. "Is the horse lame?"

"What? No, sir. I have an urgent personal matter to discuss with someone here before I leave the vicinity of York."

"No, you don't. Let's go!" The Major kicked his steed into a trot. The two junior officers sighed in unison, gave Lawrence an apologetic look and then hurried after the Major. Lawrence hung his head and then urged his steed on after the Major, as well.

Looking back to the smithy, he saw John standing in front of the building with a smug grin on his face.

45

Late the next morning, Abigail and Millie were weeding the vegetable garden and discussing how excited Reverend Strachan had been at the news of the Orr's windfall, when they noticed a small crowd of people walking toward them.

"John's leading that group," pointed out Millie.

And Lawrence was forced to leave only yesterday, thought Abigail. "We'll see what they have to say. Maybe John's come to make amends."

Millie gave her mistress a look of incredulity and then slapped at a mosquito.

Abigail noticed that some of their neighbours were leaving their houses to see what strange event was going on.

The group stopped at the front gate and John strode forward, boldly pushing the gate open before him.

"Not one step further, young man. Let's hear your apology and admission about your slander and then you can leave." Abigail could smell alcohol on both John and several young men in the crowd.

John crossed his arms. "I'm not going to apologize. I was right. Millie's a whore and she seduced me when I stayed here. We don't want her kind in a town full of good folk." Abigail noticed some in the crowd nodding in agreement, but not all.

"Millie's a reputable girl who's been slandered by this would be rapist!" Abigail announced in a loud voice.

"Now who's slandering who? I demand satisfaction!" John looked around and frowned briefly when he spied Jacob approaching from the house. "Where's Captain Orr, Millie's defender? He's run off rather than defend her honour!"

"I'll stand up to you, you rascal!" called out a man's voice from behind the crowd.

The people parted, making way for Mr. Croyden. He brandished his cane in front of a surprised John.

"I'll see you sent to damnation for your crimes! I offered to be Captain Orr's second and I can still fire a pistol. So let's get some weapons and face each other right now!"

John looked down at the elderly man and laughed. "You only offered to be his second. You're not his second!" John raised his hand as if to strike and Mr. Croyden cringed.

"I'll fight you, John," said a cold voice.

Everyone turned to look at Jacob.

"He's one of the men who raided our town and killed some of our militia! He's a murdering Yankee! It's my civic duty to teach this little pup a lesson." John advanced on Jacob.

"Wait one second, John!" called out Abigail. She looked at the size difference between the two men and realized John would easily kill his American opponent if their fight depended on size and brute strength. "Jacob is Lawrence's second...Jacob is Lawrence's second!" Abigail ignored the look of fury in Millie's eyes, but did note it was directed at her and not at the American.

"He can't have one of the enemy as his second!" pointed out John. There were a few shouts of agreement from the crowd.

"What do you know of duels, John?" Abigail spied Reverend Strachan's black robe in the distance, as he ran to the Orr house. "My husband knows all about them. He's the son of a Lord."

There was shocked silence at that admission. None of their neighbours had known, but they all were aware that the nobility followed different rules than did the common folk.

"That's a lie! I didn't insult any Lord's servant. She's lying!" he declared, pointing an accusing finger at Abigail.

"No, she isn't."

Everyone now turned to Reverend Strachan, who used the delay to catch his breath. The crowd was growing larger and larger as the drama continued. "I know for a fact that Captain Lawrence Orr is the son of a Lord Orr, who lives in England. He is of noble birth and any insult to him is a crime that will be punished to the fullest extent of the law. We are not anarchistic Americans! We will have law and order!"

Abigail sensed the crowd was beginning to turn on John.

"Where is Pierre?" she asked the crowd. "He spoke up for Millie, did he not? Where is he? Will he come forward and defend this innocent girl again?"

Some in the crowd looked about as if expecting the Frenchman to join the drama, but a fair number sent a suspicious look in John's direction.

"Pierre left!" he shouted. "But, it doesn't matter. Jacob and I were going to duel, but we have no pistols."

"There is a pair of fine pistols in the Orr house. Captain Orr showed them to me on one of my visits. They were a wedding gift from another officer, I believe." Strachan noted how pale John had become at this new revelation. He was reminded of Lawrence's assertion that the young man was a coward and felt confident there would be no duel.

"Millie, you know where the pistols are. Please go and get them," commanded Abigail.

Her dark eyes flashed and the younger woman gave Abigail a look of pure loathing, but she obediently went into the house. She returned a short time later with a smooth, brown, leather case. Mr. Croyden offered to load the pistols and did so very carefully, with the crowd watching intently.

Strachan turned to John. "Well, since we are going through with this and one of you shall surely die...and the pistols belong to the man who issued the challenge, I believe it is only proper if you choose which pistol you want, young man. Then your opponent will point the remaining weapon at your heart during the duel."

John's shaking hand reached in to the case and withdrew one of the weapons. The Reverend eyed him coldly.

Strachan brought the case over to Jacob. Abigail and Mr. Croyden were standing with him, while Mille had retreated to the doorway of the house. Abigail saw the tears streaming down the girl's face and wondered if she had just doomed poor Jacob.

"I had thought that John's cowardice would have prompted him to back out of the duel before now, but..." admitted Strachan to Abigail. "Well, don't worry too much, son," he said to Jacob. "John has never fired a pistol before. And being the Captain's second he must have let you practice with them."

"I've never fired a pistol before in my life, pastor." John examined the weapon carefully, seeming to be fascinated by its design.

"He isn't Lawrence's second, Reverend," confided Abigail. "He never chose a second. Lawrence was confident that John would either confess to his crimes or submit to appearing before the magistrate." She cringed at the sharp looks that both Reverend Strachan and Mr. Croyden gave her. "I, too, thought that John would have shown himself yellow and fled, rather than engage in the duel. I thought you also might have had some experience with pistols, Jacob. I am sorry. I will admit my deception in front of the crowd so that you may bow out with honour."

"The choice was mine, Mrs. Orr." He looked at the two men. "I want no repercussions to fall upon Mrs. Orr, gentlemen. It might be my last request." Both men nodded.

Jacob turned to look at Millie. She took a step forward and then stopped and shook her head. Abigail raised her eyebrow at Millie's behaviour.

"It's all right, Mrs. Orr. She told me that if I duelled for her honour, that she would treat me as if I were dead."

"Whatever the outcome, Jacob, Millie and I will have a long talk." He simply nodded once in response.

The four turned to face John.

46

As they left the inn, Lawrence gathered his energies to explain his situation to Major Pike.

"Sir, if I may?"

The superior officer groaned. "I've had enough of this nonsense, Captain! It's bordering on insubordination and I will not hear any more of it!"

The Major turned his back on him and stomped away, while Lawrence cursed himself for not having been more diplomatic the day before.

They collected their belongings, packed and readied their horses and then rode off eastwards, towards Kingston. The Major kept them at a slow pace, which surprised Lawrence. He had expected a trot so as to get him to Major General Sheaffe in short time, but without too much effort. Instead, the Major allowed the Lieutenants to set the pace on the second day of their journey and, despite their youth, they seemed to be in no hurry.

As they rode, Lawrence kept glancing at the Major, trying to figure out how best to approach the man. If he were too forceful, then he might face stiff discipline. If he were too casual, then the Major might simply ignore his wishes as being unimportant.

At one point, the Major seemed to explode for no apparent reason.

"Jones! Get back here!" he bellowed.

The Lieutenants halted and Jones turned his horse and raced back to Pike.

"Jones, you're riding beside me. Orr, ride with Lumley." Lawrence shrugged and spurred his horse into a gallop. He was as eager to be away from the unfathomable and unlikeable Major as the man was eager to be done with him.

Lawrence slowed and matched the speed of Lumley's steed. The Lieutenant gave him a curious look, then rolled his eyes and inclined his head back to the Major.

"That could be considered an offence Lieutenant, but you've been with him longer than I have." The road turned close to Lake Ontario and Lawrence gazed through the morning mist at the dark shadow that he assumed was the United States, until he remembered exactly how wide this lake was.

"Yes, sir, that I have. Jones and I have learned to be careful what we say around him...and to be careful of what we do, as well." The young man swatted at a couple of mosquitoes. "Sir, if you don't mind me asking, what was the urgency behind your staying in York a little longer?"

Lawrence sighed at the intrusiveness of the question, but then decided to engage the Lieutenant in conversation so as to pass the time better. He told him of Millie and John.

"I can understand why you'd want him to know you were leaving through no fault of your own. But, why the duel? Being a Captain and him a militiaman, you could have just had him whipped."

"Old habits die hard. I was raised in a society where duels were used to undo outrageous behaviour. Sometimes I slip back into that way of thinking."

"You're a member of the nobility?" asked the Lieutenant with a pensive look.

"Third son of a minor Lord."

"Interesting...are you cut off from your family wealth?"

"In a way, my eldest brothers will inherit and nothing will get passed down to me except what my family has given me as a wedding gift. Actually, my eldest brother will inherit everything from my father, but there was a large estate belonging to my mother's family that my other brother can claim. I stood the best chance of winning my fortune by becoming an officer in His Majesty's army."

"Sir, I have a suggestion to make to you. You may find it a little distasteful, but please follow my lead. Jones will, too. I believe the Major may change his mind about you."

"Distasteful or dishonourable, Lieutenant?" Lawrence asked suspiciously. He was well aware that for a young man there was little distinction between the two.

"If you feel your honour is going to be damaged then simply excuse yourself from our conversation, sir." With that, Lumley slowed his horse's walk.

Soon enough, the Major and Jones caught up.

"What's this?" asked the irritated Major.

"I think my horse has a pebble stuck in his hoof, sir. May we stop while I tend to him?"

The Major looked ahead along the road, then gazed at the mist-shrouded lake. "Very well, but make it quick. I don't want to be ambushed by a boatload of Yankees."

They all dismounted and Lumley made a show of examining his steed's left front hoof. "Jones, could you take a look at this?" he asked.

The other Lieutenant came over and the two had a brief, quiet exchange of words.

"That's right," said Lumley in an unusually loud voice, "the Captain, there, is the son of a Lord. But, he's the third son and won't inherit a penny. He was to duel a man who had insulted his household."

The Major hurried over. "What's wrong with you two? Don't you realize your voices will carry across the waters in this silence?"

"Sorry sir," Jones whispered. "Lumley was just telling me about poor Captain Orr."

"Yes, yes. Well, tend to your horse quickly." He eyed Lawrence and then looked at the gentle waves washing upon the shore. "Captain Orr, please come with me."

Lawrence left his horse with the two Lieutenants, who both gave him a smile and a nod. Then he went over to the Major and stood beside him, gazing across the lake.

"Do you think the Americans might be out there, Captain?"

"It's possible, but I think most of their forces are concentrated either near Kingston to counter Sheaffe's army, or near the Niagara River. Any Americans that do hear us would have to first determine where we are upon this vast shore and then find their way through this fog, sir." Lawrence's mind reeled: why hadn't the Major figured this simple piece of logic out for himself?

"Hmm." Several seconds went by. "I suspect that you are correct, Captain," admitted the Major. They both kept their eyes focussed on the mist shrouded lake. "So, were the Lieutenants speaking the truth about you, then?"

"With regards to what, sir?"

"With regards to you being the son of a Lord who won't inherit a penny of his father's estate?"

"Yes, sir. Admittedly, my father and brothers did just arrange to send my wife and I a surprisingly generous wedding gift."

Several more seconds of silence went by, while the two men watched several Canada geese fly over, honking as they went.

"I was a second son and bought my Lieutenant's commission when I was nineteen. My brother inherited everything. I guess the King's army is all that's left for men like you and I."

"Well, I certainly wouldn't consider the navy, sir."

"Yes, yes. Very droll that. I'm sorry if I was rude to you and your lovely wife. I took you to be another one of these damn jack-a-dandies that I see so often, strutting about in their crisp uniforms and not knowing the first thing about how to fire a pistol."