The Farmer & Dale Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

James had watched Gerald from the time he entered the office. Shaking his hand and seeing the warm sincerity in his eyes, the small fears and insecurities he'd hidden away at the thought of this meeting disappeared. Gerald projected an air of forthright honesty that could be felt on a visceral level. It was there, without question. James understood now why Steven held him in such high regard all these years.

"I'm very pleased to meet you too, Gerald. I'm really delighted that you and Steven have this chance to renew your friendship and connect again. I know how much it means to you, to both of you." his gaze found Steven's and he was rewarded with such a look of love that any doubts he'd had about the wisdom of this event were swept away. "In fact, Rick, if you'll come with me, I'll take you down to get those contracts signed and we'll give your dad and Steven a little time to catch up in private."

"That's fine with me," Rick turned to his dad and teased. "No hanky panky now."

"Get along with you, youngster, before I put you over my knee." Gerald gave Rick a mock frown.

Steven and James laughed. Steven gave James a peck on the cheek, "Thank you, love."

"My pleasure, and you owe me one." James teased.

"Then it'll be my pleasure to give you one." Steven returned archly.

James actually blushed, "Damn, I left myself open for that one didn't I? And no, don't say another word," he'd seen Steven poised to deliver another quip.

Everyone chuckled. Rick and James made their exit, leaving Gerald and Steven to reminisce. Steven ushered Gerald across the lushly carpeted floor, to the section of his office that had been decorated and furnished with relaxation in mind. There were comfortable padded chairs with convenient tables for holding drinks or snacks and a sofa that was large enough for a man wanting a nap to stretch out on with ease. A well stocked bar held the makings for any kind of drink wanted. Behind the bar was a sink and a fully stocked refrigerator.

"You still have that razor sharp wit, I see." Gerald remarked as they settled on the tapestried sofa.

Steven grinned, "One has to stay sharp in this business," his grin faded and he faced Gerald, a soft smile on his face, "Now tell me, how have you been? Is everything all right with you?"

Gerald returned Steven's smile, "I've been well. It wasn't easy at first, I love Irene, but I missed you so much."

Tears filled both men's eyes as they recalled what might have been had fate not stepped in and changed the course of their lives.

Steven raised his hand and lightly caressed Gerald's cheek, "I missed you too."

Tears spilled down both their cheeks and they embraced, offering each other comfort, mourning their lost love and, though it was now different, muted, they celebrated the renewal of the love that lingered between them. Holding each other, feeling the warmth that settled between them, even after so many years, felt completely natural, like coming home. Finally they parted and drying their eyes, began sharing with each other, their lives that had taken such divergent paths.

When Rick and James returned, Gerald and Steven were laughing at a tale Gerald was relating about how his children played baseball in the fields and how a very young Rick was tricked into believing that a seemingly solid cow patty was home base. Rick discovered just how not solid it was when, encouraged by his elder siblings, he slid into home.

Rick frowned at his dad, "Did you have bring that up?"

Gerald chuckled, "It's a classic Hunter tale, son."

"Great." Rick intoned sarcastically, much to the delight of the others.

The four of them sat chatting for awhile until interrupted by Steven's assistant, "Excuse me, sir, but there's a phone call for Mr. Rick Hunter. It's Mr. Vaden, on line two.

Rick frowned, a chill of apprehension swept him as he walked to the phone. He picked it up and punched the button for line two, "Dale? Are you all right?"

When Dale's voice came over the line. Rick could hear the tension and barely restrained tears in his voice, "Rick, you and Gerald have to come home. Now. It's Irene. There's been an accident, Rick. She's in the hospital."

Rick had been gazing at the three men seated across the room, his vision blurred, "Is she all right? How bad is it?" Rick questioned, he felt himself sway and quickly sat down in Steven's chair.

"It's bad, Rick, very bad. Hurry, you have to hurry." Dale's voice caught on a sob.

"All right, Dale. We're leaving now. Hang on, baby. We're coming. I love you." Rick strove to keep his voice even.

"I love you too." was Dale's shaky reply before he hung up.

Rick looked up to see his dad hovering over him, "What is it Rick? What's happened?"

"It's Mom. Dale says there's been an accident. She's in the hospital. We have to get home, Dad. Now Dad, NOW!" Rick could hear the break in his voice even as fear made the blood seem to slow in his veins. He felt as though the air had suddenly become thick and hard to breathe.

Gerald's face went sheet white, "Dear God," he whispered, "Rene."

Rick immediately rose and took his dad's arm. He'd never seen such an expression on his father's face. He took a deep breath and knew he had to stay strong. His dad needed him.

Steven and James, who had been listening from across the room went into action. James was on the phone calling the airport. His firm kept a small private jet and he ordered it made ready. He arranged for Steven's assistant to go to Rick and Gerald's hotel to retrieve their luggage and check them out. The car would pick them up and deliver them to the airport. They could be on their way within the hour.

Steven steered Gerald and Rick back to the sofa and gave them each a brandy, seeing to it that they sipped it slowly. He could see the color returning to Gerald's face. Rick roused from his daze and took his dad's hand.

"She'll be all right, Dad," Even as he said the words he silently prayed that it would be so.

Gerald nodded, "I know, I just need to be with her, son."

The phone rang. "The car's here." James announced.

They all went to the elevator and rode down to the lobby. Steven and James accompanied them out to the car.

"Let us know if there's anything else we can do." Steven told them as he hugged first Rick then Gerald.

"I can't thank you enough as it is." Gerald told him, returning the hug. He turned and shook James' hand.

"Our prayers are with you and your wife." James told him.

"Thank you." With a final look at them both, Gerald entered the car. Steven and James were both shaken at the look of desolation and desperate hope they saw reflected in his eyes.

"Rick, keep us informed, will you?" Steven asked, he laid a comforting hand on Rick's shoulder.

"I will," Rick promised, "Thank you for everything."

He quickly followed his dad into the car. Steven and James watched them pull away to be swallowed by the busy afternoon traffic.

* * *

Hours later, the Hunter family and Dale were gathered at the hospital. Each of the children had been allowed to see their mother. Dale had accompanied Rick. Rick held it together until leaving her room when he broke down. Dale held him, rocking him like the lost child he was, knowing that his mother would not be returning home.

In the waiting room, Paul, Sharon, Karen, Rick and their spouses were huddled together talking quietly. The atmosphere was stunned disbelief. This was an event none of them had thought to face for many years yet and certainly not with this wrenching finality. It was a shocking reminder of how fragile the human existence is and how the simplest of actions can have the most devastating results.

Irene had made a late afternoon run to the grocery store. On her return the sun had been setting. Just as she turned on her headlights, a deer had appeared from out of a corn field and run in front of her car. She'd jerked the wheel sharply to avoid hitting it and the car flipped, landing in the ditch by the side of the road. Another car had come along soon after, and alerted the paramedics and sheriff, who rushed to the scene. Irene had been quickly taken to the hospital, but her injuries, including internal damage to several major organs, were too extensive and too severe to be repaired. She was clinging to life. Just as her husband was clinging desperately to her hand.

She'd been unconscious when they arrived. As Gerald gazed at her beloved face, her lids fluttered and opened. A small smile played at her lips as she beheld the man she loved.

"Hi," she murmured, huskily.

"Hi, baby." Gerald returned, he bent and kissed her gently. He laid his cheek against hers, breathing in her scent and warmth, feeling the familiar satin softness of her skin. He could not accept that these would be their last moments together.

"Are the kids all right?" she asked.

"They're fine, honey. They're out in the waiting room, just waiting for you to wake up."

"I'm so sleepy. Did I hit the deer?"

Gerald held back his tears. Despite her effort not to hit it, the car had clipped the deer. The sheriff had had to shoot it. It was just like Irene to worry about an innocent animal. He wasn't about to tell her the truth.

"No, baby, you didn't hit it." he managed. He kept a firm hold on one of her hands, his thumb rubbing over her knuckles, soothing, comforting.

"Good. I love you, Gerald." she frowned slightly, "Everything's all right, isn't it?" Drugged, she felt no pain, but something in Gerald's expression set off an inner alarm.

Gerald lightly smoothed the hair back from her face, "Everything's fine, baby. Rest. I love you, Rene," he kissed her again.

Comforted and reassured, always trusting her husband's word, Irene smiled, her eyes closed softly as she slid gently away.

"Oh God, Rene." Gerald choked out, "I lied baby, I lied. Nothing will ever be right again."

He lay his head on his wife's shoulder and sobbed out his pain and grief as her doctor and several nurses came in and as unobtrusively as possible, disconnected the wailing machines that announced her passing.

* * *

Three months later, Rick was on the phone talking to Steven. He sat cross-legged on the floor in the living room. Dale sat on the sofa behind him. Rick rested back against Dale's legs as Dale slowly and firmly massaged the tension from his shoulders. Rick studied the pattern in the carpet, the tone of his voice clearly showing his concern for his dad.

"No, he's not improving. Paul, the girls, and I, make sure he eats at least one good meal a day, but he's losing weight. He tries to make us think he's ok, but he's not. Dale and I have tried to persuade him to move in with us, but he won't consider it. After that first week, he was bound and determined to go home." Rick hated to confess it, but he knew Steven needed to know, "He gets angry if we fuss over him too much," Rick swallowed the lump in his throat, "He never used to get angry so easily. He's not himself, Steven."

"James and I have been discussing it, Rick. We think it would do Gerald good to get away for awhile. With that in mind, we've come up with a plan." Steven told him.

Steven had been calling regularly for updates on Gerald's condition. He too was very concerned at his slow decline.

"I'm all for anything that will help," Rick said, "Dad's hurting, Steven. Hell, we all are, but it's worse for Dad. Even though he has us, he's still essentially alone. However much we want to, we can't fill that empty place in Dad's heart.

Steven sympathized, "I know Rick, it's a desperately hard thing to face, losing a loved one. I've lost both my parents, I know how you feel. I can only begin to imagine Gerald's pain at losing Irene.

"So what's your plan?" Rick asked. Dale had leaned forward to rest his chin on Rick's shoulder. He reached back to lightly touch Dale's cheek.

"I have a nice place in Florida, near Ft. Lauderdale," Steven explained, "James and I thought we'd take your father there. He could swim, get some sun. There are nice places to eat and shop. We could take in movies and possibly a play or musical programs of some kind. There's lots to keep him busy. It's very different from Illinois. The change in scenery is bound to do him good."

"It sounds great," Rick enthused, "Are you sure you want to do this? What about your other responsibilities?"

"Things run like clockwork around here. James and I can easily take a few weeks away, and if we're needed, well, we're just a phone call away," Steven told him, "Please say you'll help us do this, Rick. Gerald means so much to me. We truly reconnected that day the two of you came to see us. I want to help him if I can."

"What about James?" Rick inquired softly. Rick was concerned that Steven and James' relationship might be affected by Steven's insistent need to help his former lover.

"James is every bit as enthusiastic as I am, Rick. He saw Gerald for the good man he is. He knows our own relationship is solid. He's right here with me now shaking his head in agreement."

Rick could hear the happiness in Steven's voice, "All right. But the next thing is to persuade Dad. I don't know how easy that's going to be."

"Leave that to us. James and I will be there tomorrow afternoon. We'll see you soon."

"All right, Steven. Have a safe trip." Rick disconnected the call and turned to Dale, "Did you get the gist of that?"

Dale shook his head, "Not all of it. Tell me."

Rick recounted the conversation and Dale agreed it was a good idea. They just hoped that Steven and James could persuade Gerald. They both knew, without having to say it aloud, that Gerald needed help, and soon!

To be continued....

12