The First SaR Mission Ch. 04

Story Info
Into the cold, dark night...
5.9k words
4.71
6.6k
5

Part 4 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 12/06/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

-The Full Moon Retreat-

Episode: The First Search and Rescue Mission

Chapter 4:

Into the cold, dark night...

To the reader:

Ah, a bit more improvement in the rating. Now, I need to figure out how much of the rating is determined by the story content and how much is from my presentation. You know, it would be helpful if there were a more sophisticated rating system, I suppose just as an option to the reader. At any rate, your feedback has pressed home that you felt that I tried to 'over explain' things to the reader. Know that I do not believe you, the reader, to be stupid! I was born and raised with the military and then spent the following 45 years in engineering and research into high-tech topics that I know for sure, most of you know nothing of. So, it is my own ignorance of what is 'normal' that drives me to explain things. I've done a lot of explaining in my lifetime. That is why I have to "feel" my way through the process of writing for the enjoyment of reading. Your feedback is the "Cat's Whiskers" that guide me, and I thank you for that. Please, keep it coming. I read them all and then try to divine my path.

Now, about chapter 4... When I cut the original draft of this story up into chapters, I guessed, incorrectly, as to what the proper length of a chapter should be for the website. For this current posting, I have combined, what were chapters 5, 6, and 7. That should put a bit more 'meat on the table'. I have also removed the asides to the reader that restated 24 hour time, (military time). I, mostly use 'military time' in the story, because, the werewolf universe is very militaristic. That is how I believe, a werewolf would think. Finally, I have added a paragraph describing the "saddle-pack", near the end of this posting. I had edited most of it out of chapter 3 and was advised that it was needed. So, there you go; more explaining! So, anyway, thank you for reading and let me know if I'm "marching" in the right, (or the wrong), direction.

Special thanks to my wife, Diane for proofreading for me.

*****

[14:00, Tuesday, the base camp compound]

Lights were just, starting to flicker to life in the tents, while people carried all manner of supplies and equipment into them and kitchen staff began "banging" around in the portable kitchen. Jack is under the canvas pavilion gesturing and pointing at a map while speaking to Thornton, Renford, and several others...

Jack: So, if I understand correctly, what we have are these four high ridges and three deep valleys, all running east--west, transverse to our direction of egress into the search area, and all of the features are in excess of ten miles in length. And, that all three valleys are closed on their east ends by a north-south ridge that is, at least, five hundred feet higher than the four ridges that form the valleys. Is this right?

There is a chorus of "yeses" from the surrounding men...

Thornton: When I stopped by the State Geologist's Office, for maps, our geologist recognized the area. He called it "The Devil's Claw Marks." Said it was because the deep, parallel valleys resemble claw marks. He told me that the valleys were dredged out by glaciers, a long damned time ago, that they all hit the same deep rock layer that stalled them out. The north--south ridge was formed by the debris pushed up in front of the glaciers. When they finally melted, they left the valleys and that ridge.

Jack: If I interpret this satellite photo correctly, then the crest of this north--south ridge is above the tree line and consists of a knife-edge of bare granite. It's a "razorback" ridge. Is that what you see?

Again, there is a chorus of yeses from the surrounding men...

Jack: Well, here is my problem. Given the topology of the search area, regardless of whether I choose 'VHF' or 'UHF' comms, I'm going to loose radio contact with all of the search teams, as soon as they crest this first ridge, right in front of us, and drop into the valley.

Renford: That's what I saw. That leaves the teams with no support and, unable to call for extraction if they find the crash. It will put all of the teams in danger and negates the point of search and rescue effort.

Jack: You're right. The obvious solution would be satellite comms. Trouble is, we need small tactical units that could be easily carried up and down the valleys walls and over ridges. That's military stuff, and they'll let us have that when hell freezes over! About all that leaves is "sat phones". That's just wrong! A hundred people in a dangerous place, in bad weather with little or no visibility... No! Besides, it would take, at least, a week just to get the equipment and then, you would still have to set up accounts and get it all working. That's a clusterfuck that would get someone dead in a hurry.

Jack: Ideas?

Jim Bonner, the pack's radio technician: The closer to line of sight, the better. If we could figure out how to get an antenna just, beyond the crest of this ridge, then we might get radio coverage throughout most of this first valley. There would probably be shadows; um... dead spots, but we would cover most of the valley.

Jack: Could we get one of our repeaters up there?

Bonner: Yes, I think so, but there might be a better option.

Bonner places a finger on the map at a point on the north-south ridge at the end of the second valley.

Bonner: If we could put it right here, our communication problems would go away. If this "topo" map is right this little peak is, at least, six hundred and forty feet higher than any place on the four east--west ridges and right in the center of the second valley. There would probably be some small areas of shadow, but there are always going to be some. This little peak even seems to be relatively flat.

Jack: Ok, but, how do we get the repeater up there?

Bonner: Well, maybe we could have a chopper drop me and the equipment up there. I set up the gear, and then the chopper picks me up and brings me back here.

Thornton: That isn't going to happen. It was bad flying weather by noon today and now that this drizzle and fog has settled in, nothing is flying. Hell, the gawd damned buzzards are staying on the ground! If that isn't enough, that ridge has been buried in the clouds and at that level, there would, most likely be icing conditions. So, no; a copter is not happening.

Does anyone know what the top of that ridge is like?

Renford: I climbed to the top the ridge that we're on, this afternoon and scanned the area with binoculars. I didn't really study that ridge, but, if you were thinking to use it as a sort of 'land bridge', from what I could see, it would take a crazy man to try to cross it, even on a good day.

Jack, to Bonner: How much is there to this repeater? How would we transport it?

Bonner: Well, the repeater, itself, is, maybe the size of a textbook, weighs about eight pounds. The battery packs are about the same size and, maybe, five pounds apiece. I suppose that we would want to stack up as many of the batteries as we could since we can't exactly go swap them out. Then, there are the two antennas and their little tripods. I guess that we could get everything into three of the wolf 'saddle bags'. However, speaking as a wolf, really high, narrow rocks ain't some place I'd like to go play.

Jack: How about three lanky, sure-footed black panthers?

Bonner: There are some other small issues. They will have to connect it all together up there and put it into a plastic bag.

Jack: I thought that the repeaters were "portables."

Bonner: They are, but they are water "resistant," (makes air quotes), not water "proof." If we're going to leave it to operate up there on that ridge, then we're going to have to waterproof it. That really shouldn't be a problem, though. You know those big, zip-up vacuum bags that housekeeping packed all of the bedding in? Well, they just put the repeater and batteries in one of those, connect them up and run the antenna cables through a couple of small holes in the bag and zip it up. We should be good to go, then. I can teach them how to connect everything up and test the operation.

Jack: Let me talk to our Werepanthers to see if they are willing to do this. I will not order them to go.

Bonner: Well, there is one other little thing. One of them will have to shift into a naked human up there on top of that ridge for the fifteen or twenty minutes that it will take to assemble it.

Jack: Well, get the gear together and if this is going to happen, I'll send them to you for instruction.

Bonner: Yes, Alpha.

[16:40, Tuesday, the operations room]

Jack: Leon, Jay!

Leon, and Jay, simultaneously: Yes, Alpha?

Jack: It's sixteen-forty. Let's get the search teams fed and in bed by twenty-one-thirty. I want them to get as much sleep as they can. Then, I want them out of bed at oh-four-hundred tomorrow, at the breakfast table by oh-four-thirty, Briefing starts at oh-five-fifteen. I want them headed out by sunrise.

Leon, and Jay, simultaneously: Yes, Boss!

Jack: Loretta, Is your kitchen up and running?

Loretta: Yes, Alpha. Still a little disorganized, but basically ready to roll.

Jack: I need to get the teams fed so that we can get them in bed by twenty-one-thirty. Will you be able to handle the entire group? There will be a hundred, plus.

Loretta: Yeah, Jack. It will need to be a 'fixed menu', tonight. Will three half pound hamburgers per wolf be enough with potato chips, maybe French fries, coffee, and tea?

Jack: That should be good enough.

Loretta: We can't do French fries, just yet. It will take a couple more hours for the deep-fryers to heat up. I brought the conveyer-broiler and the toaster, so, we can handle the volume in burgers and steaks, but no steaks, tonight, either. They need to thaw. Also, I plan to let them build their own burgers, so that will lighten the workload on the staff. We are going to be on disposable plates, cups, and utensils, for the duration. I intend to keep coffee, iced tea, and pastries out and two people to handle short orders, twenty-four-seven.

Jack: Sounds fine, Loretta. Will you be able to do breakfast for them at oh-four-thirty, tomorrow... high protein?

Loretta: Yeah. I figured you'd want an early start. I've sent half of my staff off to bed already. We will offer two pound steaks, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, and hash-browns.

Jack: That sounds perfect, Loretta. I can always count on you to do the impossible and before daylight.

Loretta: Forty eight years of running a kitchen will do that for you.

Jack, do you have a feel for how the workload is going to flow?

Jack: Loretta, I intend to send the teams out around oh-six-hundred tomorrow and I figure that they will be out "wolfn' it," maybe, two days. That will leave around fifty mouths to feed, about half human and half Werewolf, but there is no way to be sure on the timing. So, plan on that and stay light on your feet. And, by the way, I' may be sending our three panthers over there in a little while. Feed them up as best as you can. All three of them might be going out in this weather tonight and will be 'rock climbing', through daybreak tomorrow.

Loretta: Good enough, Jack. After we run the teams through, we'll be ready to take everyone else.

Jack: Good work, Loretta. I'll see you later.

[17:30, Tuesday, the operations room]

Jack calls the Werepanthers into the operations tent...

Jack: Ma'am, gentlemen, I know that you have already had a long day. I'm about to ask you to make it a lot longer. We have a mission that is totally fool hearty, dangerous beyond reason, one that only mad men, (ma'am...), (smile), will accept. This is strictly on a volunteer basis and nothing will be said if you refuse it. I will not order anyone to attempt this. Let me describe what we need to accomplish and tell you what little we know about it. Then I'll give you a few minutes to consider it and then you may volunteer or not, no backlash.

Jack, turning to the map pinned to the canvas wall, behind him: Our search area consists of these three deep valleys defined by these four high ridges. This ridge, (pointing to the north -- south ridge), sets directly across the eastern ends of the three valleys. The problem arises that this terrain restricts any direct radio communication with the valley nearest to this base camp and completely prohibits any communication with the two farthest valleys. Unfortunately, satellite communication is not an option for us at this time. Without radio contact with the search teams, we cannot coordinate the search, we cannot direct other teams to go to the aid of any team that might run into trouble and if and when they find the crash site, they can not call for evacuation of the teams or the crash victims. In short, if we cannot effect radio communication with the search teams, this search, and rescue mission is over.

Pointing to the map: now it was recognized that this peak on the north--south ridge sits about six hundred and forty feet above any point on any of the east--west ridges and, that it is located, just about dead center of the middle valley. The upshot of that is that it has an almost unobstructed, line of sight view into all three valleys. Ordinarily, this would be an easy fix. We call a chopper and buzz up there, drop off the radio equipment and we're good to go. However, you may have noticed the 'lovely' weather that we're experiencing. Nothing, but, nothing is flying, let alone to the top of that ridge. What is more, this weather is not predicted to improve for the forecast future. Oh, it gets better. We need this operational by sunrise, tomorrow morning...

The plan would be for our radio tech to give you a crash course in setting up and testing the equipment then it would be packed into three of the saddle bag backpacks along with a hundred foot of climbing rope, (just in case it would be useful), three VyTeck jumpsuits and three pairs of rubber slippers. Basically, then you would make your way along the ridge. We think it is about two and a half miles. One or more of you will need to shift. That is what the VyTeck jumpsuits are for. We hope that those will protect you long enough to connect the equipment in the waterproof bag, test it, shift back, and beat a hasty retreat...

Jack: So, Ma'am, gentlemen, take a bit to consider the offered mission and give me your answer.

The three Werepanthers look silently to one another and slowly nod...

Fontain, looks to Jack and speaks: Well... we did not come up here to sit on our fuzzy butts and lick the goo from between our toes, so, let's get on with it.

Jack: You all have my sincere appreciation for accepting this task... BUT, HEAR ME! You go and do this if you can, but, if at any time, you feel this is too dangerous or too risky, then you turn your asses around and get them back here, alive! I did not come up here to trade the lives of MINE for four people, whom we don't even know survived the crash! Am I understood?

All three Werepanthers: Yes, Alpha!

Jack: Alright, our radio man is Jim Bonner and he is set up in the little partitioned off area in the end of this tent. Go see him... And, you get yourselves back here alive.

[18:40, Tuesday, the operations room]

Slipping into a raincoat, it was time for Jack to inspect the camp...

[18:45, Tuesday, base camp commons]

Stopping by the 'Emergency Management Agency's canvas pavilion...

Jack: Gentlemen, my kitchen people tell me that they have coffee, tea, and pastries out, now and that they will serve hamburgers and potato chips to those interested after they feed a hundred hungry team members. Also, if you all would like, you are welcome to move into our operations room. There are tables and chairs, electric light and it's warm and dry. We have one of those turbine heaters for warmth.

Eight men look up with big smiles on their faces and head for the mess tent.

When Jack had issued the instructions to set up the base camp, he had ordered that three of the 50 foot by 30 foot tents be set up, end joined to end, on the west side of the camp and that they be arranged to form one long barracks tent. The giant tent now contained one hundred and twenty six portable cots, each with bedding and a cardboard footlocker beneath.

He had also instructed that a similar arrangement of tents be set up on the east side of the camp, with a one hundred foot wide commons between them. Four tripod light towers were anchored to the tent corners, one at each corner of the commons. All doors, with one exception, were to face the commons area.

The east side tent was to be partitioned off with movable canvas walls. The south end of the one hundred and fifty foot long tent was to have a wide door flap. Fifteen feet north of that end wall, a partition with a 'walk-through' was to be installed. This first room would be used for storage. Then, one hundred feet farther north, a heavy canvas, sliding curtain, was to be installed. The hundred foot by thirty foot room, thusly formed, would host the kitchen and serving line at the end nearest the storage room. Twenty four folding tables with seating for one hundred and forty four persons were to be set up in the remainder, giving the camp a dining hall.

Another canvas partition, placed fifteen foot farther north of the sliding curtain, defined the Operations Room. By retracting the sliding curtain, out of the way, an assembly and mission briefing hall could be affected. With this curtain closed, the operations room was reasonably quiet and secure.

Another, and final, partition was to be placed thirty foot farther north. This was to form a sleeping area, with eighteen cots, for those who would be required to maintain vigilance through the nights in operations, radio, the kitchen, and technical services. This would provide quick access to their work areas without disturbing the barracks area with their coming and going. The final ten foot of the one hundred and fifty foot long tent was dedicated to the radio shack, electrician, and other technical services.

The generator trailer, fuel trailer, and potable water trailer were positioned outside the south end of the giant kitchen/operations tent. A portable, crank-up radio tower was staked and guyed to the ground, outside of the north end of the tent.

It was time for Jack to inspect the work of his pack and give praise where it was merited and offer suggestions or order corrections, where needed. Jack went, first to the barracks tent, since it would be mostly empty, with the teams in the mess hall. Jack found Leon in the barracks tent inspecting the setup.

Jack: Evening Leon. This looks pretty comfortable.

Leon: Yes, Sir. It would have been nice if it could have all been on 'blacktop', but, there, just wasn't enough of it. We had to clear the larger rocks, as it was.

Jack: Yes, I saw the borders along the walkway and around the tent. Did you say that you were in the Army?

Leon: Yes, Sir. Infantry, sir. The Big Red 1, Alpha.

Jack: It shows, Leon. Very good job. Oh, and Leon... don't paint the rocks. Jack walks away smiling.

Leon: Yes, Boss!

Jack crosses the commons to the kitchen area

Jack: Loretta, how are things coming together?

Loretta: Well, I have to say that I am amazed. This is actually working. As you can see, we have a room full of wolves, happily stuffing their faces. I think that we are going to need, at least, a small supply run tomorrow. There are a number of things that we, just don't have enough of. And, then, we will need a major re-supply the day after that.

Jack: Did Jim get the satellite internet connection set up?

12