The Four Boxes of Liberty Ch. 03

Story Info
Aftermath of the game; more intrigue.
10.9k words
4.82
7.8k
8

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 03/04/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 11 - Victory, Defeat, and Controversy

All eyes were on the Wildcats's Jamaal Washington running up the left sideline and the Bulldogs safety closing in on him.

"And he's at the 20, the 15, and here comes the safety!" cried the Wildcats Radio announcer as I listened and watched. "No! the train has done run! Washington scores! Jamaal Washington! Jamaal Washington!"

Jamaal was sprinting hard for the sidelines now, trying to avoid a celebration penalty. He made it far enough that when he was mobbed, no flags were thrown. Admittedly, the celebration was not as 'rowdy' as it could've been.

"And it's 18-17 Wildcats, with 17 seconds to go." said the announcer. "The Wildcats will go for two again. And there's the delay of game penalty, that'll move the ball back. And the Wildcats run the trap draw, and Appletree gets three yards, but it's not enough."

"They weren't going to risk passing and getting an interception returned that would make a won game into a loss," said the color man, "like the loser Atlanta Falcons did a few years ago in a disgusting one-point loss to the Kansas City Chiefs."

"The Atlanta Falcons are losers, our Wildcats are winners." said the announcer. "Well, we've got a few seconds left. And here's the kickoff, and they don't mess around; he kicked it a mile out of the endzone. The local Police Commander caught the ball behind the end zone. I know he's the Police Commander because he has the ball in one hand and a red crowbar in the other hand, just like the red crowbar he gave the team last year, that's in their locker room now."

"And the Bulldogs come up to the line, and they're scrambling but nobody's open... and here comes Davis Smith! He hits the Bulldogs quarterback eight yards behind the line... the Bulldogs call time out with 7 seconds left. That's their last time out..."

The Wildcats fans were cheering, and loud. I got on the Police radio and said "This is Commander Troy. Implement 'Visitor Security Measures', I say again, implement 'Visitor Security Measures'." That simply meant for my Officers to get their arrears over to the visitors area of the stands to make sure there were no problems... and sometimes to protect the visiting team's fans. I saw Officers appearing in the aisles, and there were no problems.

"And the Bulldogs quarterback throws over the middle, the Bulldogs are trying a play like the Wildcats just ran, but Gregg Scott hits the receiver right as the ball did and that play is broken up. No flags, and that is it! The game is over! The Wildcats have done it again! They've come into University Memorial Stadium and snatched another miracle win from the rival Bulldogs..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I did what Bowser and Buddy are good at doing: supervising. I basically hung out in the tunnel and listened to Police radio. There were no incidents, though, as the crowds dispersed, most of them headed toward various bars to drown their Bulldogs sorrows or celebrate Wildcats victory. Police directed traffic with great efficiency, getting Wildcats fans on the roads and back to wherever they were coming from.

I didn't call Laura on my personal cellphone. "Do you have any updates on Derrick Waters?" I asked.

"I'm at the Hospital now." Laura said. "He's still under evaluation. There's swelling, and they hope they don't have to operate, but they will if they need to get the pressure off his spinal cord. He's got feeling in his upper body, arms and hands, but nothing in his legs for now."

"I will say this, too." Laura said. "The running back that was under him? If he'd tried to crawl out from under him, he might've caused damage. His staying still may have saved Derrick's life."

"Okay, thanks." I said. I then was asked by a Wildcats trainer to come into their locker room. I did, and was immediately sorry I did. There was a huge crush of reporters in the front room., where the interview tables were. The trainer got me by them and to the locker rooms. There were reporters around the running back Appletree. Jamaal Washington was sitting beside Appletree, as well.

"I just knew when he hit me that something was wrong." said Appletree, his voice subdued. "I was going down, but I could feel that he was going limp. And something told me just to lay there, not to move."

Then Nick Eastwood saw me. "Commander Troy! What did you and Derrick Waters say to each other?" That got all the reporters coming at me.

"I'll make this statement." I said loudly as the entire Wildcats team and coaches stopped to listen. "I am the Police Commander in this Town, and my wife is on Staff at University Hospital. It is my understanding that the doctors are still evaluating Derrick Waters, that he does have feeling in parts of his body. I've also been told that by not moving, Appletree here kept Waters from having more damage, damage that might've been fatal. Good job, kid, you did well." I said, extending my hand to Appletree. He shook my hand. Jamaal patted Appletree on the shoulder.

"What did you say to Waters?" persisted Eastwood.

"That's between him and me, and I'll say no more about it." I replied. It is possible that tapping the red crowbar in my hand helped make that point.

"What about the Wildcat Band playing the Bulldogs fight song when they took Waters out?" yelled a reporter. "Was that an offensive stunt?"

"Quite the opposite." I said. "I believe it was meant as a gesture of respect for a great player that was badly injured on the field of play."

Just then the Sports Information Director for the Wildcats came through the throng and got Appletree and Washington. I took the opportunity to follow them out, and I kept on going until I was back outside.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 1:30am, Sunday, October 28th, Dr. Morgan gave a Press conference at the Hospital. "Derrick Waters is stabilized. He has feeling in his arms and upper body, and was able to move his hands and fingers. We are going to re-evaluate him in a few hours, when the swelling goes down, and determine what surgery, if any, will be needed."

"I do want to add that the other team's running back probably saved Waters's life by lying still and not moving." added Dr. Morgan. "This could've been a lot, lot worse."

"Is his career over?" shouted a reporter. Dr. Morgan gave the reporter a dark look, but stifled his urge to say something resembling what he felt.

"It's way too early to make any determinations of his future." said Dr. Morgan. "We're taking it day-to-day right now."

"Doctor, after seeing an injury like this," said a reporter, a runt who looked like he'd never played a day of football in his life, "do you think football should be outlawed?"

"I think stupid questions like that should be outlawed." said Dr. Morgan, his patience and restraint breaking. He ended the Press conference by walking away.

Part 12 - Bullets and Budgets

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, October 29th, from in front of City Hall. "Channel Two News has learned that a report of gunfire over the weekend may have been an assassination attempt upon District Attorney Gil Krasney!"

"The incident occurred yesterday afternoon around 3:00pm." said Bettina. "Mr. Krasney was meeting with his campaign staff at his campaign headquarters just south of Courthouse Square when a loud snapping sound was heard. Some campaign staffers thought they heard what sounded like a car backfiring at the same time. When they investigated, they found a bullet hole in the door frame."

"Police were called to the scene." said Bettina. "The bullet was dug out and is being examined at the State Crime Lab here in Town. Neither the State Crime Lab nor the TCPD would comment on the incident. The investigation is ongoing."

"And it's Budget Week at City Hall." said Bettina. "The branches of the Public Safety Department will give their reports and budget requests to the Town & County Assembly tonight, while the Education Services Department will give their reports tomorrow. These presentations are normally routine, but this year Town Assemblyman Eldrick X. Weaver is running for Mayor, and will have definite ideas of what he wants to hear, especially from the Police Department."

"Meanwhile," continued Bettina, "the County eagerly awaits the Town & County Council's second reading of the bill that will send last week's Officer-involved shooting incident to a Board of Inquiry, especially after the whitewash that was delivered by Sheriff Daniel Allgood's Inspector General, Horace S. Wellman. Daniel Allgood is running for Mayor as a Republican."

"And for Sports, let's go to Chuck Pringle. Chuck!"

"Thank you, Bettina." said the middle-aged Pringle. "As you know, the Wildcats eeked out an 18-17 win over our Bulldogs Saturday, as Wildcat wide receiver Jamaal Washington scampered 66 yards to score the winning touchdown with less than 30 seconds left, breaking our Bulldogs's hearts. In other important games, Florida crushed Georgia 27-7 in a game that was not as close as the score indicated, giving Florida the inside track for the SEC and possibly National titles."

"But the most important and worst news for the Bulldogs was the loss of Derrick Waters for the season. 'Train No. 93' suffered a devastating neck injury. Doctors said yesterday that he has feelings and movement in his arms and upper body, and they are hoping he will recover feeling and movement in his legs as the swelling in his neck subsides."

"And the game was not without controversy," said Pringle, "as the Wildcats Band played the Bulldogs fight song as Waters was being carted off the field. Many Bulldogs fans took exception to that, seeing it as a cheap shot at a badly injured opponent. And then the Wildcat Radio announcer made this call as Washington made the game-winning score. Roll tape." Tape rolled, and the 'train has done run' comment was heard.

"Bulldogs fans have every reason to be angry with these cheap shots directed at a horribly injured player that may never walk again." said Pringle. "I really thought the Wildcats people were better than this, but in reality they are no better than State Tech..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Man, that is awful. Poor guy." said Theo Washington as we watched in MCD. Yes, I'd come in to watch with the Detectives, as did Tanya. Theo was wearing a red No. 10 jersey... a family thing, dontcha know.

"I hope this doesn't sound selfish." said Roy McGhillie, "but I hate seeing a great athlete like that go down like that."

"It's not selfish in the context of his family." said Jerome Davis. "They didn't have very much, and were counting on his NFL career to get out of poverty. That may be gone now."

"I just hope he gets his legs back." Tanya said, dabbing tears from her eyes. "That's the important thing. After that, he still has many good things he can do."

"Ma'am, you've done well in spite of your paralysis." Joanne Warner said,

"Let me tell you something." Tanya said, pointing at me as she said: "I'm lucky, damned lucky, to have this guy working his ass off on my behalf. I wouldn't be here, doing what I love most, without him. You guys have no idea how lucky you are to have him as your boss..." More tears flowed. I went over and put my arm around Tanya in a hug.

"And you're well worth fighting for." I said. "All of you are. And I do hope Train No. 93 will be able to get back on track."

"What did you say to him when you went out there, sir?" asked Joanne.

I shook my head. "That... was between us, and shall remain private."

"Sir, what do you think of Pringle's comments about the Wildcat Band and radio announcer?" asked Theo.

"How long have I been saying it?" I said. "The Media, including the Sports Media, is corrupt, dishonest, and they try to fabricate controversy when there is none. Chuck Pringle can shove this crowbar up his ass and sit and spin on it."

"Uh oh." said Jerome Davis quietly. "Another reporter in the Iron Crowbar's crosshairs..."

Jerome was saved by Cindy walking in... wearing a red Wildcats No. 10 jersey over her uniform.

"Commander Ross," I said, "I told you you didn't have to wear the shirt."

"I lost the bet." Cindy said. "We lost fair and square. No bad ref calls."

"Well," I said, picking up a blue jersey that I'd brought in. It was a Bulldogs No. 93 jersey. "I was supposed to wear this if the Wildcats lost. I'm going to wear it today, anyway. Maybe it'll be good karma for Train No. 93."

With that, I put on the blue No. 93 jersey. Theo took a couple of pictures of me and Cindy in the 'wrong' colored jerseys. Winning football games is good. Winning at the game of life, as we were hoping Derrick Waters would be able to do, was far, far more important.

"By the way," said Julia Rodriguez, "where was Nick Eastwood? Why wasn't he doing the morning report?"

Cindy smiled. "Please don't let this get out. He's going to the new Fox Channel. He's left KXTC..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Cynthia Freeman, KSTD Five-Alive News in the Morning, bringing you all the news you have a right to know!" the lovely reporterette said at 8:00am. "Five-Alive News has learned that TCPD Police Chief Sean Moynahan will restore Corporals Hicks and Gunddottar to full duty status after Inspector General Horace S. Wellman found in their favor in his investigation!"

"In a statement you haven't heard before now because it was just released just a few minutes ago," said Cynthia with a malicious smile, knowing KXTC had been too early and missed it, "Chief Moynahan said that he was not waiting for the delays of the Council and the Board of Inquiry, and was immediately restoring his Officers to full duty today."

"And Police have not commented on a possible shooting incident involving District Attorney Gil Krasney." said Cynthia. "A bullet was recovered from the door frame of his campaign headquarters after reports of a gunshot in the area was reported. Mr. Krasney and his campaign staff were in the campaign headquarters at the time, meeting in a side room."

"Viewers will remember that the campaign offices of D.A. candidate Jenna Stiles were smoke-bombed a couple of years ago, in an attack that was alleged to have been committed by disgraced former TCPD officer Robert Brownlee." said Cynthia. "Brownlee is on death row, awaiting execution after murdering TCPD and TCFD hero Joe Smedley."

"And let's go to SNN Sports reporter Jeff Hull with some special guests! Jeff!"

"That's right, Cynthia!" said Jeff Hull from the front steps of TCPD Headquarters. "I have with me three Police Officers who were at the Bulldogs-Wildcats game Saturday, which ended in an 18-17 win for the visiting Wildcats. With me is Detective Theo Washington, first cousin of Wildcats hero Jamaal Washington; Deputy Chief Cindy Ross, who earned undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University; and Commander Donald Troy, who earned his degree at Wildcat School and was commissioned into the Army through their ROTC program."

The camera showed Hull with all of us, me in the blue jersey, Cindy and Theo in red jerseys. Hull first asked Theo: "I'm sure your cousin and his team are celebrating the win, but how did they take Derrick Waters's injury?"

"They were upset, and hope he's going to fully recover." said Theo. "We should applaud the running back Appletree for realizing what happened and staying still until they could attend No. 93 and immobilize him."

"Okay," said Hull, standing between me and Cindy, "why are you guys wearing each other's jerseys?"

"I lost the bet." said Cindy. "So I'm meeting my obligation."

"And you, Commander Troy?" Hull said, turning to me.

"Well, if I'd lost the bet," I said, "I'd have had to wear this jersey. But after Derrick Waters was injured, I'm wearing it anyway, and I hope that everyone watching will pray for Derrick's full recovery."

"A Bulldogs trainer came out and got you, and asked you to speak to Derrick." said Hull. "What did you say to him?"

"What we said was private, so I'll say no more on it." I said.

"Fair enough." said Hull. "Commander, what about the Wildcats Band playing the Bulldogs fight song as Waters was being carted off the field? And the Wildcats radio announcer saying 'the train has done run' when Washington scored the winning TD?"

"I'm sure the Wildcats Band played the Bulldogs fight song as a gesture of respect, as they play the Wildcats fight song when a Wildcats player is injured." I said. "And the 'train has run' phrase is an old one that's been used before. The Wildcats announcer was excited, and I'm sure he wasn't thinking about Derrick Waters at that moment. In neither case was any disrespect to an injured player intended."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What Police Force am I working with?" asked Teresa as Cindy and I came into my office for the Angels meeting. "You two, consorting with the Press?"

"Making Ms. Bulldog here wear a Wildcats jersey on TV was worth it." I said. "And I got to say that about the fight song and the radio announcer, so I hope that shit will go away."

"And KXTC will be all the more furious." said Cindy. "Don is about to have competition for who hates the Press the most."

"O-kayyyyy..." I said, "someone please tell me what's going on with Gil Krasney and this shooting incident?"

"You didn't see the Police reports, sir?" asked a stunned Tanya Perlman.

"Yes, I read them." I said. "They are perfect... for giving to the Press, because they contain very little information. So what's really going on with this?"

"Jerome Davis is the Detective in charge of it." said Tanya. "He told me that the hole in the wood was very fresh. The bullet appeared to be a nine millimeter unjacketed semi-wadcutter, but I'll wait for the ballistics before theorizing if it's the same lot number as the bullets fired at Teddy and Janice."

"Interesting." I said introspectively. "Any leads at all?"

"No sir." said Tanya. "I.T. went through the motions of getting camera footage of the area, but there's not much at all. I will again wait for ballistics to tell me if the shot was fired from a distance away."

"Why would someone try to shoot at Krasney's campaign headquarters?" Teresa asked.

"Krasney was there at the time?" I asked.

"Yes sir." said Tanya. "But in a conference room, not visible from the front."

"And how was Krasney at the time he was interviewed?" I asked. "Agitated? Upset? Angry?"

"Uh..." Tanya said, looking through her notes. "I'm gonna have to look that up, sir." She grabbed her iPad. A moment later she said "Davis himself interviewed Krasney, and makes no comment about Krasney's demeanor."

"Do me a favor, Tanya." I said. "Go to MCD now and go back over everything with Davis. I'll talk to these other rowdy Angels while you do that." Tanya drove out.

"You couldn't just call Jerome in?" Cindy asked.

"Sure, I could," I said, "but I want Tanya and Jerome to get their ducks in a row on it. I also want to get your perspectives on it, privately, without biasing Tanya's thoughts."

"Well," Cindy said, "I'm remembering that guy Keith Rollins from the 'Environmental Hazards' case. Someone shot into his apartment, but it looked like a halfhearted attempt at best to kill him."