The Gardener

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I'm completely frozen in shock. It's six-fifty in the morning. That alone rules out the possibility of Laura being present. The next shock is to see her doing manual labor. Even if it is only to unload shovels from a truck. She's wearing work-boots, -gloves and -clothes. All brand-new, of course. But nonetheless... Laura in work-clothes? Unheard of.

"Well, Mark. What's up? Can we start or do you want to waste more time by staring at me?"

"What? Yes. Well... Okay. Let's go."

"What shall I do? You'll have to instruct me."

Wow. That's really quite cute. And she looks good, wearing work-clothes. So natural, down-to-earth, glowing with anticipation. Very attractive. Damn...

"Ah, yes. Take these two shovels. I'll take the other stuff. We have to work over there. I'll lead the way."

Laura follows me to the hedge we have to plant. After we have dropped our tools, she looks at me expectantly.

"Okay, we have to dig a small ditch along here. This is where the hedge will be planted later. About that wide and that deep." I show her the dimensions. "Just take this shovel. You can start over there." I have to chuckle a little. It will be fun to watch her digging. She casts me a nasty glance and seems determined to show me. She punches the shovel into the ground without much effect. She has neither the power nor the technique to make an impact. But it's quite cute. She really tries hard. I start my end of the ditch and she watches intently how I do it. After a while she manages to get the hang of it.

By the time our ditches meet, she has actually made more than ten percent of the overall length. This is more than I've expected. But she looks unhappy at her results.

"Mark, I'm a pathetic gardener."

"Actually, you did better than I've expected. This requires a lot of physical strength. And believe it or not, you've helped me. I'm short on time today."

"Really?" She looks quite happy.

"Yes. And you will be able to help me more when we actually plant and water the hedge. If you plan to stay that long."

"Of course I will. Just tell me what to do."

I have to smile. She's looking at me with a really determined expression. She wants to do this job properly.

By lunch we have planted most of the hedge.

"Boy, am I tired. I had no idea how exhausting your job is. No wonder you're built like a brick house."

"Yeah, I imagine that it's quite hard for you. But you did well. And you really helped me today."

"Really?" She's delighted.

"Yes, I've been under a little pressure today. You help was really a piece of luck for me today."

"Oh." She smiles widely now.

"But I'm sorry to say that I can't even offer you something for your lunch break. And there are no shops out here."

"Oh, don't worry. I have prepared something." And she retrieves a lunch packet for both of us.

"Oh, Laura, you're really..."

"I've been a bitch, yes. But I try to change. Boy, do I try to change."

"That wasn't what I was about to say."

"I know, Mark. I know. But it was what I wanted to say."

We both smile. It's good. We have done some manual work together. We haven't talked much. We just co-operated mostly without words. And we're enjoying our well deserved lunch together. It feels good. If she wants to reconcile, this is certainly the best way to do it. But this is going to be hard work for her, not only physically. Her body will ache tomorrow. I'm curious if she will want to repeat this day.

In the afternoon we work some more. But the main work is done and we have the time to joke around a little. I teach her some stuff from time to time. We don't talk about the past. It's good.

"Mark, I haven't fucked them. I've never been unfaithful to you. I returned from this stupid Aspen trip after one night. And I was so bitchy because I think you're too attractive for me. Out of my league. I subconsciously tried to control you this way because I was afraid you'd leave me. I just wanted to let you know. See you tomorrow."

Well, that came out of nowhere. The day's work over, we have just loaded the tools onto my truck. After her brief speech, she just flees into her Cayenne and leaves quickly. I'm still stunned. Now, where did that suddenly come from after such a relaxed day together? Anyway, I'm not going to spoil my good mood by contemplating this.

To my surprise, Laura waits for me at six in the morning. She smiles at my obviously surprised expression.

"Well, Mark, what did you expect? Good morning, by the way."

I have to laugh.

"I expected you to be too tired to show up today. Good morning, Laura."

"Yes, I'm certainly tired. My whole body hurts. But that's not important."

"And, to be honest, I'm surprised to see you this early."

"Actually, I'm awake for a while. I've been actually waiting until it's six o'clock and I can see you again."

"Oh. Wow. Don't you have to be present in your company?"

"No, not important any more. I'll explain that later. So, boss. Where will we work today?" She looks at me with an expectant expression, hands on her hips. Wearing immaculate work clothes again. It's really cute.

Today's work is lighter. We only have to prune roses and other flowers. After I've shown her how to do it, Laura is actually quite good at it. And she really enjoys it, obviously. She's humming all the time, looking very concentrated and content. And very beautiful. She looks so natural, so real in these clothes and surroundings. She catches me looking at her and smiles sweetly. I have to smile too.

At lunch we have to laugh upon discovering that each of us has brought along enough food for both of us.

"Mark, we'll have to coordinate this better in the future."

"In the future? How long do you plan to help me?"

"You already want to get rid of me?" She's smiling and the general mood is good.

We keep spending our days like this for two weeks. I really enjoy my time with Laura. And I begin to think seriously about re-starting our relationship. I'm just not sure under which conditions. I certainly don't want to return into the golden cage. But I also don't want to haggle about the conditions. We should be lovers, not business partners. So, basically, I'm willing to reconcile but unsure how to proceed. Maybe I'll just wait what she might come up with.

Today, we take care of Mrs. Matthews' garden again.

"Good morning, Mark."

"Oh, good morning, Mrs. Matthews."

"Mark, who's your beautiful colleague? I've been watching you two for a while. I'm starting be get jealous."

"I'm Laura, the gardener's apprentice," she says, smiling. I have to smile, too. Has she just really said this?

"You're a lucky man, Mark. She's a keeper. You shouldn't let her get away."

Mrs. Matthews... observant as ever. I really like her.

"I'm thinking about it, Mrs. Matthews."

"Oh my, you are?" Laura smiles ecstatic.

"Yes."

"Mark, if you ever decide to take me back - there will be no prenup any more. Everything will be ours. Yours. Including me. Totally, without any restriction."

"What do your parents think about this?"

"I don't care. They've destroyed our first relationship. And I've helped them by being arrogant, insecure and dumb. Won't happen again if you give me another chance."

"What about your company?"

"I'll sell it if you want me to. Or I'll take care of it on two days per week. You decide."

"Okay, that's a problem that probably can be solved."

"Mark, I enjoy working with you immensely. You were right, this is so much better than my boring office job. I've decided that I'll help you gardening until my belly is too fat from your first child."

"Oh, wow." She certainly rolls out the big guns now. What do I think of this? Is this just a way to lure me back into the old status? "You really want to have kids?"

"Oh yes, I'd love to. If they're your's."

Well, what do I have to lose? She wants to cancel the prenup. To have our kids. All risks are on her side. I can leave whenever I want to. And I have to admit - I still love her. A lot. I want to spend my time with her.

"Okay, Laura, we have a deal. But we will work only in our own garden in the future."

"Deal." And she jumps into my arms, smiling happily.

Mrs. Matthews listens and smiles. "I wish you two all the best. I'm going to miss you, Mark. But I'm glad that you've found your happiness." She sighs happily as I hug her too.

We cancel the prenup with a separate contract. I have access to all accounts now and am shocked about the amount of money being available. Nonetheless, I add my puny fifty-five thousand in savings to it. We share everything, right? And I still keep my old truck. Even Laura uses it from time to time to transport gardening material.

We decide not to sell her company. Tim and Walter will run it. Being closely watched by Laura. I'm not too happy to reward them like this. But someone will have to do this work for us and they are the best qualified guys for it. It's not important. The state of our roses after my absence bothers me more. Laura and I have a lot of work ahead of us.

Laura spends time with me in the garden, except for the two days per week we both work in her company. She insists to spend as much time with me as possible. And I realize that her business is not as boring as I've expected. She teaches me some things about her job. Like I teach her some about mine.

xx

And that's how we do it. And so far it works. Ten years and three children later, we're still happy. At parties she usually introduces herself with "I'm his gardener". We always have a good laugh.