The Gathering

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In their bedroom that evening Elizabeth cuddled up to Dillon and asked, "Do you think we should go to Colorado? Or do you think we should head for California?"

Dillon put his arm around Elizabeth and pulled her closer. "I think we should do whatever you and Eleanor want to. As long as we're together it doesn't make much difference where."

"I feel the same way," Elizabeth said kissing him quickly. "But you're dodging the question husband. What's your opinion?"

"This is between you and me wife; I don't want to sway Eleanor's thinking. I think we should go to Colorado Springs. At least up there we know someone who can advise and help us."

Two weeks later they were loading the last of the possession into the wagons for their trek to Colorado Springs. Eleanor had sent a telegram to her sister on a Saturday and received an answer on Tuesday. Tillie replied that her husband Ted said that the area south of Colorado Springs was as good ranch land as he'd ever seen. Ted and Tillie told Eleanor that the whole family could stay with them until they found a place of their own.

"Maybe we could find a boarding house or something," Dillon said to Eleanor. "It might be a little tight with all of us staying with your sister."

Eleanor laughed, "When General Parker started cleaning up Colorado City, Ted and Tillie bought a bawdy house from the owner just before he was run out of town. They've got six or seven bedrooms on the second floor and another two on the ground floor."

Ethan asked, "What's a bawdy house Momma?"

"Never you mind young man," Eleanor said a little embarrassed. "You'll understand when you're older."

"Oh....." Ethan replied with a red face and a grin.

The Triple E had an auction the previous day and sold off most of the things they were leaving behind. They weren't taking much of the furniture with them. The exceptions were the huge dining room table, the bed that John had made for him and Eleanor, the roll top desk, and a rocking chair that Eleanor had used to nurse both Elizabeth and Ethan. Eleanor was also taking a few favorite skillets, Dutch ovens, and her china. The china had been a gift from John's mother.

As they started their trek Eleanor stood on the wagon seat and yelled, "Pike's Peak or Bust." It was the rallying cry of the miners headed for the gold fields.

Dillon was driving one wagon with Oso handling the other one. Ethan rode with Oso and would be taught how to drive a team so he could spell the big man. Eleanor and Elizabeth took turns working with Dillon to learn how to handle a team and wagon in the mountains. Their saddle horses were tied off to the wagons on long lead ropes.

"Man's yesterday may ne'er be like his morrow; Nought may endure but Mutability.'' Dillon quoted as they left the Triple E for the last time.

***************

Red turned at Josh's shout and looked behind him. Coming toward him at a loping run was the grizzly they'd been tracking. He sure moves fast for such a big animal, Red thought. He dropped to a knee to give Josh a better shot and brought his Henry rifle up. Before he could fire he heard the big Sharps open up.

Josh quickly reloaded while Red put four more shots into the grizzly. The big animal didn't slow until Josh hit him a second time with the Sharps. He slowed, stopped, and rose up on his hind legs in defiance. Red put three more rounds into the bear as it dropped down on all fours and continued toward him.

Red shook his head partially in admiration and said softly, "Damn, is this big son of a gun ever gonna stop?

To Be Continued