The Gift

Story Info
Is it ever too late to say you're sorry?
4.9k words
4.3
33.6k
20
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a story I originally wrote back in October. I had originally intended to submit it to "Erotic Horror", but as the story came together I decided it worked much better as a Romance. Please leave me feedback and let me know what you think of it, good, bad, or ugly. Thanks.

Disclaimer: this is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real person(s) or events is purely coincidental. All characters are eighteen years of age or older.

=========================================

I sat alone in the darkened living room, the only illumination in the entire house provided by two flickering candles on either end of the mantle. Between them, the flames danced on three silver frames, pictures from much happier times. On the left was a photo of a much younger - and far happier - me, with my arm around the shoulders of a gorgeous blonde. In the middle, the same couple, a few years later, on their wedding day. On the right, the blonde woman by herself, slightly older, perhaps, but still incredibly beautiful. She was smiling, just as in the other two, but in this photo the smile almost-but-not-quite reached her eyes. I blissfully had no clue as I took that picture that only a few months later, she would be gone.

I took a sip of my wine, remembering. If ever two people were fitted together more closely than Cindy and me, I've never met or even heard of them. We complemented each other perfectly - where one of us was weak or lacking in one area of our lives, the other was strong and had more than enough for both of us: she was my patience, since I so often seemed to have none; my casualness when I took things too seriously; my logic, when my lack of patience made me too hasty or rash. For her, I was her confidant to tell her deepest, darkest secrets and fears to; her strong shoulder to cry on; her rock in the stormy seas of life. More than anything, though, we each were the seemingly inexhaustible fountains of love that the other drank from every day. Love tends to perhaps not fade, but soften as the years go by, but not for me: each and every morning I woke up as much in love with Cindy as the day we first fell in love.

I thought she felt the same; certainly she never gave me any reason to think otherwise. Then one day, I returned early from a business trip. I finished up my business early and was able to catch a much earlier flight home than the one scheduled. I got a taxi home instead of calling her, intending to surprise her, but in the end it was me who was surprised.

As the taxi pulled up to the house, I was surprised to see a rented moving truck backed up to the front door. My first thought, naively, was that Cindy had bought new carpet or new furniture and intended to surprise me with it. But as soon as I stepped from the cab, I saw the look of horror on her face and with a terrible certainty, I knew.

I'm a proud man, successful in business due to luck or skill or a combination of the two, distinguished and well-respected. But you wouldn't have known it that day. I fell to my knees, groveling and begging at her feet like the poorest, most abject beggar. Whatever it was that I did or failed to do, just tell me and I would do anything, pay any price, to make it right. Just please, for the love of God, don't leave! Oh, God, please! Anything but this!

But it was all for naught, because it wasn't due to anything I had done or didn't do that she was leaving. It was because of two things I had absolutely no control over: time and gravity. She sat me down in this very room, mere feet from where I sat now, and explained things. She intended, she said, to write me a letter and leave it for me to find, but since I had unexpectedly come home early, she explained face to face.

I am almost ten years older than Cindy. When we met, she was just out of college, young, and stunningly beautiful, the sort who could almost turn a blind man's head. Although to me she was just as beautiful on the day she left as the day I met her, by her thirtieth birthday she had begun to notice tiny imperfections in her beauty, and began to notice that she didn't turn quite as many heads as she once had.

Though beautiful, Cindy was no bubbleheaded peroxide blonde. She was highly intelligent, with an IQ that very well may have been higher than my own. But when you see a woman walking down the street you don't elbow your friend and say, "Wow, look at the brains on her!" No, you look at her face, or her breasts, or her legs, so when slightly fewer men chose to look at Cindy's external features, it affected her in ways I never knew or appreciated. Therefore, when a much younger man that she knew only in passing still got tongue-tied and weak in the knees when she was around, she ate that up. Though I never failed to tell her and show her nearly every day how beautiful she was to me, when I pointed that out that day, her response was, "Yes, but you're my husband. You're supposed to tell me I'm beautiful."

For nearly a year, she explained, she and the young man had had at least an emotional relationship. Several months ago, that relationship became physical and intimate. I had always trusted Cindy because she had never given me reason not to, and so when she told me she had to work late or was meeting a female friend for lunch and shopping, I naively believed that was exactly where she was.

"You're saying what I'm guilty of is trusting you too much?" I bluntly asked her that day, to which her reply was simply, "Yes."

She and the young man were in love, she explained, and when she said that she loved him more than she had ever loved me, I cursed the cruelty of fate for not mercifully allowing me to die before hearing those words. There was nothing, she said, I could do or say to change her mind. She was taking, she explained, little more than her clothes and personal items and moving in with him, and when she suggested that it would be easier on us both if I simply left and came back after she was gone - as she had originally intended - I was too broken-hearted and despondent to do anything else.

That was six years ago. Six years to the day. Ironically, today was a Friday, just as that awful day had been. A few hours later I had come home to a dark and empty house. She had been true to her word, taking nearly nothing besides her own things, but without her warm and loving presence, the house was as barren as if she had cleaned it out to the bare walls.

As a last and unsuccessful grasp at convincing her to stay, I warned her that the relationship with this other man was doomed to failure, a prediction that came true less than a year later. I took no joy in being right. In fact, it had ended violently, with her male friend accusing her of unfaithfulness, and he abused her both verbally and physically for several months until she left. Whether his accusations were justified or not is open to debate - someone who will lie for you will lie to you, after all - though his abuse was clearly unjustifiable.

For a long time I entertained fantasies that Cindy would return, that she would come home, tearfully beg forgiveness, and I would sweep her into my loving arms, and like in fairy tales, we would "live happily ever after". But while I kept the door open for her, it never happened.

"Why the hell do you do this to yourself, Johnny?" I said quietly, staring into my wine glass.

Six years ago on that terrible Friday night, the longest night of my life, I had sat right here, the same pictures on the mantle, the same candlesticks, identical candles providing the only light, as I sipped wine. Tonight I thought briefly of the gun in my nightstand upstairs. That night, six years ago, I had thought about it a great deal. But that night, just like every anniversary since, I always found a reason to say, "Not this year."

"Not this year, either," I whispered.

I stood and stared out at the night through the front window. The rain that had threatened most of the day was now falling, coming down in torrents. With the moon down or covered by clouds, I couldn't see the sheets of rain, but only hear it.

"Good night, Cindy," I said, lifting my wine glass in a toast, then draining it. "Wherever you are."

I looked at the pictures one last time. In the morning, I would wrap them, and the candlesticks, carefully in silk, just as I had done for six years, and delicately put them away until next year.

I took down the one in the middle, gently kissed the picture of the lips I missed, and put it back. Of the three, that picture was my favorite: she looked so radiant in her white dress, both of us so very happy.

I snuffed out the candles and headed upstairs to bed.

******

It took several minutes before I realized the soft knocking wasn't part of a dream and instead was coming from downstairs. I woke up and looked at the clock: just after 1:00. Who the hell is at my door at one o'clock in the fucking morning?

I pulled on my robe and started downstairs. After a moment, I returned to the bedroom and retrieved my nine millimeter Beretta from the bedside table, slipping it into the pocket of my robe. Home invaders rarely knock on the door, I knew, but better safe than sorry...

I checked the peep hole and didn't see anyone. That didn't mean anything; the peep hole has a rather large blind area. Finally, with one hand resting on the butt of the gun in my pocket, I flung open the door with the other hand.

I couldn't believe it: there stood Cindy, silent and dripping wet from the rain, but there she was, just as I remembered her. She looked at me with a pitiable expression and reached for me with both arms. I reached for her as well and swept her into my arms, all thoughts of the gun or anything else completely forgotten. She was freezing cold and shivering.

"Come in," I said, ushering her into the house. Once inside with the door closed, I took a moment to look her over. She was barefoot and filthy, her pretty blonde hair lifeless and plastered to her scalp in a dozen places, as she stood, dripping water all over the floor of the entryway. But to me, she was as gorgeous as the day, twelve years ago, that I married her, because she was home. I closed my eyes and breathed a silent prayer of thanks.

Leaving her just inside the front door, I hurried to the downstairs bathroom and returned with a couple of large bath towels. All she was wearing was a fairly ugly, featureless dress that came halfway to her ankles. One glance was all it took to see that whatever the dress had once been or whatever shape it had once held, it was now ruined and saturated with cold water.

"Let's get you out of these wet clothes before you catch pneumonia," I told her. Since the dress was ruined anyway, there was no need to be careful with it. I unzipped it all the way, but when I saw how it clung to her body, I gave up and simply ripped it in several places. She wasn't wearing anything underneath.

Even dripping wet as she was, I looked at her beautiful nude body. Though I hadn't seen her naked in more than six years, she was just as I remembered her: the familiar shape of her breasts, the little pink nipples I had once sucked to her delight, the soft curve of her belly, the neatly trimmed patch of blonde pubic hair that pointed like an arrow to her clit. Not that I ever needed any directions to her sweet honeypot...

I dried her carefully with the towels, patting her dry delicately. I still wasn't entirely sure this wasn't a vivid dream, and I was almost afraid to touch her, for fear that she would suddenly vanish like a soap bubble. I worked my way down her body, finally lifting her feet, one at a time, to dry them completely. As I dried her, she took one of the towels and dried her hair, finally wrapping the towel around her head. Soon she was completely dry, and though she was still cold, her skin was beginning to approach a normal level of warmth. At least she had stopped shivering.

"Johnny, I'm so sorry," she said quietly, speaking for the first time, as she wrapped her arms around me. "I love you."

"I know," I said, enfolding her in my arms. I so wanted to kiss her lips and tell her that I loved her, too, but my lips just couldn't form the words. There had been so much ugliness that passed between us these past six years, so much hurt and pain. I felt I could, someday, love her again and tell her that, but it would take time. Maybe a long time. But it would come.

But none of that was important right now. What was important was that she was here, in my arms. Unable to tell her that I loved her, I simply held her tight. "I'm so glad you're home." She seemed to understand my difficulty, and tilted her head up for a kiss.

I lifted her nude form into my arms and carried her upstairs to the bedroom we had shared for so many wonderful years, the way I might have carried the finest expensive crystal. After I set her back on her feet once more, she kissed me again, more passionately this time.

"I don't know where to begin telling you how sorry I am, Johnny," she said, her voice filled with sorrow and woe. "You were right, about everything. You were right. I've missed you so much. I never should have left..."

"I know," I said in a low, soothing voice. "We can talk in the morning. Right now, I just want to hold you."

For six years I was so angry. I fantasized and dreamed of what I would do if I ever had the opportunity I did right then: I would rub her nose in it, make sure she knew that yes, I had warned her, and yet she had been too blind to listen. I would give her at least a taste of the emotional pain she had caused me. But now that the opportunity was here, the moment that I saw her in the pouring rain, soaking wet and miserable, the moment I took her in my arms once again, all my anger dried up and disappeared like the morning dew in the sun. Now all I wanted to do was to hold her and never again let her go.

"I know this doesn't make up for anything," she whispered. "But let me give you this."

She removed my robe, letting it fall to the floor, then gently placed her palms on my chest, easing me backwards to the bed. I stretched out on the mattress, and she climbed on top of me.

She started at my chest and made a line of kisses down over my belly until she got to my cock. I was about half-hard at this point, and she fished with her mouth until she caught the tip of my penis without using her hands. I groaned in pleasure as I felt the warmth of her mouth around my shaft, and felt it grow along her tongue, seeking out the back of her throat.

As soon as I was fully hard, she disengaged her mouth and moved up from my thighs to my hips. Balancing herself with one hand on my belly, she used her other hand to guide me into her. I'm not especially long, but I am fairly thick, and as she slowly impaled more and more of her tight pussy on my cock, I felt the head pushing her soft, warm tissues aside to make room for itself. I had not exactly been celibate during these past six years, but nothing, not a one, had ever felt like Cindy.

She fucked me at a slow, easy pace, keeping one hand gently on my balls as she rocked back and forth, to get a sense of how close I was to cumming. She did all the work, leaving my hands with nothing to do but roam at will as I stroked her breasts, her legs, and even the soft soles of her feet. In contrast to how cold she had felt only minutes ago, she was now pleasantly warm all over.

She rode me until I began to feel the first distant, remote hints of cumming, then suddenly rocked forward until I slid out of her. I was just about to ask why, when I felt her blonde hair tickle my face.

She kissed me deeply. "I'm sorry I refused you all those years," she said mysteriously. Then, without further explanation or giving me a chance to ask, she slid back down my body. I felt the tip of my cock touch soft, wet flesh, but then I felt her fingers lightly take hold of my shaft and move it a few inches, the tip settling into a small, dry divot.

She pressed back against my tip with steadily increasing pressure. Then all at once, her ass opened, taking the head of my cock inside. She had apparently lubed the inside of her ass, because while it was extremely tight, she made slow but steady progress of taking the whole six inches inside.

"Oh, God, Johnny, this feels so good," she hissed through her teeth.

"Does it hurt?" I asked.

"No, not at all," she said, and in the dark I could hear the delighted amazement in her voice. "I should have let you do this a long time ago."

It took a bit, but soon she got it all inside. Gently, slowly, she began to slide back and forth. It was only an inch or two, but after years of asking and outright begging, I was finally in her ass. I hugged her close, pulling her tight breasts against my torso as I wrapped my fingers in her hair. I never wanted to let her go.

"I saved it for you, Johnny," she cooed. "I did so many things I'm ashamed of, but I kept my ass for you. All for you. Do you like it?"

"It's fantastic," I grunted. "I love it. It's so tight. Thank you for keeping it for me."

"Thank you for not turning me away tonight."

My breathing changed and she changed her pace, fucking her ass faster and deeper, knowing my orgasm was imminent. "I love you, Johnny. I didn't realize it for a long time, but I never stopped loving you."

I felt incredibly conflicted. Everything in me wanted to tell her I loved her. But I didn't know what to do or what to say. What to do? Oh, God, what do I do? Somehow, there in the darkness, she seemed to read my mind.

"It's okay, Johnny," she whispered, as I felt a tear fall from her eyes and onto my chest. "Say it. Just this once, for me, my love..."

"I LOVE YOU!" I screamed. "OH, GOD, CINDY, I LOVE YOU!!!" The words burst from my mouth even as my cock exploded inside her, spewing hot cum deep into her body. I don't know how much or how long I came. It felt like gallons. When it was over, I was totally spent, exhausted as if I had not slept in days.

Cindy lay peacefully on top of me, stroking my face and my chest as I did the same to her hair. She was in no hurry to get off of me. It was only after my cock had softened to the point that it came out of her on its own that she slowly, reluctantly rolled off of me. I lay on my left side and she on her right, facing one another in the dark as she lovingly stroked my hair.

"That was incredible," I mumbled, my sleepiness evident in my voice. "I had almost forgotten how good sex with you is. I want to do it again in the morning, and the afternoon, and the evening...all day long. It doesn't have to be anal. Just sex. Besides," I chuckled. "I owe you an orgasm." There was no response from her, only silence, and the feeling of her soft fingers tenderly stroking my hair.

"Thank you for that," I said.

"Thank you for letting me say goodbye, Johnny," she whispered sadly. "Always remember I love you, and I'm sorry..."

Her words registered in my brain, especially the word "goodbye". I wanted to ask her what she meant, but I was already too far gone. My brain hit the off switch and I faded into restful unconsciousness.

******

I'm not sure what woke me the next morning, if it was the sunlight streaming through my bedroom window, or the loud pounding on my front door. Either way, I dragged myself out of bed and retrieved my robe from the floor, right where Cindy had taken it off me during the night. I looked at her side of the bed. She wasn't there. The sheet on that side of the bed was undisturbed also. For some reason, it did not surprise me.

I put on my robe and padded downstairs. I opened the door without checking the peep hole, and saw two police officers standing there. Awkwardly, my first thought was of the gun in the pocket of my robe. I carefully kept my hand far away from that pocket to avoid any potentially deadly "misunderstandings".

12