The Girls All Get Prettier

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JakeRivers
JakeRivers
1,056 Followers

I guessed she had gotten hungry so I went into the kitchen. She weren't there! Damn. I looked all over the house and then remembered my truck. I gave a big sigh when I looked out the window and saw it sitting in the warming sun.

I was hoping she hadn't done a darn fool thing like trying to walk to town. Man, it was seven miles to the highway. I jumped up in the truck and picked the keys up off the floor where I always left them. I could see her small boot prints in the dust making a beeline for the horizon.

As soon as I got up the first rise in the road, I could see her just going over the top of the next hill. I slowly drove up beside her and stopped, expecting her to stop also. She didn't even turn her head; she just kept wading her new boots through that sometimes ankle deep dust.

I drove up beside her and hollered, "Hey, Sally. Stop a minute."

She kept on walkin'.

"Sally, durn it. Are you okay?"

Turning her head, she said, "I'm just damned hunky-dory. Doesn't it look like it?"

"You can't walk to town; it's a fur piece, nigh on to forty miles! How you fixin' to git home?"

That got her attention. She stopped and looked at me, giving me the look laced with venom – the dirtiest, meanest look I'd ever been gifted with. She looked undecided, not knowing what to do. Women are like mules sometimes - they need a man to tell 'em what to do - like 'gee' and 'haw'.

"Get in, Sally. Here, you'll need these."

I tossed her pretty pink panties out the window. Her face flamed furiously, brighter than her hair, and went to the back of the truck to put them on. She didn't know I could see her with those big trailer mirrors I had. Leastwise not until she had finished, stood up and seen me looking at her in the mirror. Man, was she pissed.

I figured I'd best not say anything, or even look at her, for a while. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see she was fit to be tied. We drove quietly towards town but I finally had to ask directions so I could take her home.

When we got to her house, she jumped out before I could get over to open the door and before I could even ask if she wanted to go dancin' again next Saturday. I had a hankerin' to whirl her 'round some more and maybe even more ... I sure did admire her shapely legs and the way she twitched that short skirt as she flounced into the house.

SALLY

I was so humiliated when he threw my panties at me. I was feeling bad enough already but thinking about riding on that high bench seat with a short skirt and no panties was too much. I was about to cry when I walked back out of his sight to put them on. Feeling better – like the panties would protect me – I turned 'round and saw him in that big mirror watching me with a grin on his face.

I sat there steaming, just looking out the window ... wondering if I could just die on the spot. Damn. Only a one!

Looking out at the wasteland – dotted here and there with white hump-backed Brahma cows – I almost drifted off to sleep, a half remembered touch from last night making me feel warm.

Turning to Jake, I was happy to see him lookin' a heap sheepish, the no 'count rodeo cowboy anyway. "Caint you turn on the air conditioner? I feel right uncomfortable in this here oven."

Jake rolled the windows up and turned on the air, which made everything snug as a bug. It was quiet and I must have fallen asleep – Jake was shaking my shoulder saying, "I need directions to your house, honey."

"Jake, dammit. Don't call me honey; that dog won't hunt. I'm not your honey, your gal ... I'm not your anything."

We got to the house without a by your leave and I jumped out and ran into the house. With the grace of God, I'd never see that big lunk-head again. But, damn, he could dance – several ways if my memory was right.

Whenever I went out dancing – not that often anymore – Judy, my babysitter, stayed all night. She was an older widow-woman that lived across the street. She just slept on the sofa.

When I opened the door, the twins came screaming and pulled me down to their level. I played with them a bit while Judy was fixin' up some breakfast: big ham steaks and fried eggs. We was both terribly hungry.

Judy looked at me and saying something like, "You look like death warmed over. Why don't I take the kids to the park and then I'll give them lunch and a nap."

I was too tired to argue and went back to take a shower and go to bed. Judy was a blessing sometimes. She was always smiling, had a nice gentle manner and never asked any questions. Not that I gave her all that much to ask about.

I threw those pink panties away – I never wanted to see them again. I thought I'd have awful dreams given the way I was feelin' but I had these dreams that were ... sweet. I felt a strange lassitude when I woke up; I hadn't felt like that since the first week I'd been married.

I was still mad at Jake - how had he got me into his bed and what had he (or was it we?) done? Well, that cowboy would never dance with me again.

JAKE

I pretty much remembered everything that happened as I let the heat of the day sweat the beer out of me. I kinda felt good. Sally was a fine dancer and once I got past the freckles – actually now that I think some more, it was when I saw therest of the freckles and found out she wasreally a redhead that I started thinking about her as 'bout a nine.

But what was funny was that time in my big four poster wasn't what I was thinkin' about; not even her great dancin' – I saw her lovin' me, filling up that big house with little red haired babies – damn. Did I say that last night?

I was kiddin' myself. I knew that. Hell, I was an Aggie, wasn't I? Those four years at College Station taught me something. I was thinking she really liked me but now I could see she just got drunk. She sure as tarnation was hellaciously mad at me this morning. I guess she thought I was just some dumb rodeo cowboy.

It was a good thing I didn't embarrass both of us by asking her out again.

I stayed out at the ranch more and caught up on the work. I had four full time guys working for me and we hired temp help, as we needed it. I wasn't just some boss that told everyone what to do. If a cow got stuck in a bog, I got down and helped get her out.

I didn't go dancin' for about a month and I cut out the beer. I toughened up a lot and lost a few pounds. I thought a lot about Sally. I felt bad about doing the numbers thing on her. She was really a sweet gal and you can't always tell a book by its cover. I kept seeing her 'round the house: in the kitchen with an apron fixin' dinner, nursing one of our red haired babies, makin' that big four-poster bed.

I guess I was being stupid but a guy's gotta dream, right? Molly called and wanted to come out but I really didn't want her in that bed where I'd been with Sally. I did agree to go dancing Saturday night. I knew I wouldn't be there long 'cause she had to work. Maybe I'd tell her I'd found someone else. Yeah, in my dreams I'd found someone.

We got there early and did a lot of dancing and a little, very little, drinking. I had a couple of Cokes and then we split a Lone Star. Molly had to leave and I walked her out to her car. I was going to leave too – I didn't have the gumption to tell her that whatever we'd had was over- but I saw Tammy and Sally getting out of Tammy's car. Then a guy got out of the back and walked up next to Sally and put his arm 'round her, possessively. When he kissed her cheek, I like to got sick. I had to go sit in my truck for a bit.

I knew she hated me – probably thought I'd forced her, taken advantage of her being drunk. I finally went in and found a table across the dance floor from the four of them. I guess Hank had come in another door. They were all laughing a lot and dancin' and putting down a lot of beer. Except Sally looked like she was drinkin' Coke or sumpin'.

When the band took its first break Sally got up and started walking towards me. I thought she'd seen me and wanted to talk to me. When I stood up she saw me and flinched, turned her head and looked embarrassed. She went on to the girls' room and I figured that's where she'd been headed all along.

I felt bad and walked on out and drove the truck back to the lonely house that night. I didn't sleep very well. I didn't see myself going dancing again for a long time. I dreamed about red-haired babies crawling all over the house. I was feeling pretty down the next morning.

SALLY

Life went on. I worked at the Ford dealer on the financing and contracts. It was fun work and I met a lot of people. Guys would come in and buy their trucks and hit on me. Some of them I could see were married by the forms they filled out but they still kept asking me out.

I liked working there 'cause the hours were regular like and I could be home to take care of my babies. I felt sad but I couldn't figure out why. Tammy kept wanting to go out together again but I didn't want to. God, a one! I'd be so embarrassed to go in that dance place knowing the guys were putting numbers on me.

Finally my brother came home. He'd been over to Dallas at SMU for four years studying banking and got an offer from the local bank in their loan department. 'Cept he was doing ranch and farm loans, not auto loans.

He got a place downtown, a new condo and wanted to meet people. Tammy thought we should all go dancin' together. It riled me a bit that they both kept nagging me so finally I went with them.

When we got out of the car, he put his arm 'round me and kissed my cheek, saying, "If I can't find anyone else, you can be my girl."

We laughed at that and had a great time. Timmy was a good kid and the twins loved him. I sure wasn't going to drink beer again so I stuck to Cokes. Well we call all soft drinks Cokes; I was actually drinking diet Ginger Ale.

When the band took its break, I got up to go to the girls' room. I got to the other side of the dance floor - kinda distracted with somethin' that was worrying at me – when a man stood up suddenly, almost right in front of me. Given what I'd been thinking about, I was startled ... and there he was and could he know what I was thinking about and oh, shit, I turned away from him and hid in the ladies room for a long time. Oh, God. It couldn't be happening to me, could it?

I went back to the table and after the next set we left. Tammy, Hank and Timmy came over to the house for a while. We played cards and Timmy fixed Irish coffee. He had gone to San Francisco for a two-week seminar just before he graduated and found this bar in the fisherman's wharf area called the Buena Vista. It was located right across the street from the Hyde Street cable car turnaround. Anyway, the way Timmy told us, they would line up 'bout twenty glasses and fill them with hot water. They would go back, dump the water out, put in two sugar cubes, pour in the coffee and Irish whiskey in a long continuous pour and top it off with whipped cream.

He fixed it the same way – he'd brought a bottle of Jameson's but I made sure mine were light. It looked like drinking had got me into the trouble I was sure I was in so I wanted to take it easy.

About a month later, Tammy got this bright idea of taking Timmy to see Gilley's club on t'other side of Houston. This was the place where Urban Cowboy was made and both John Travolta and Debra Winger became famous. It was about a five-hour drive straight east but somehow they talked me into it. I took the kids out to dad's ranch and we took off. It wasn't too bad 'cause my boss let me take one of the loaner vans for practically nothin'.

We got there that same day we left and got a couple of rooms: Timmy and I in one and, of course, Tammy and Hank in the other. The next day we got to Gilley's early, 'bout six, just in time for dinner. The place was huge! They had lots of bars several stages – sometimes more than one band would play at the same time. They also had the bull riding area but we weren't interested in that – that was for citified cowboys.

I was pretty sure now – I'd been through this before. I had a doctor's appointment set up for the next week.

I was dancing with Timmy when this guy came up and tapped him on the shoulder and politely asked for a dance. It was Jake!

JAKE

I was still feeling down. It was bad enough already but when she snubbed me at the dance I knew it was over ... not that it had really started. If only I'd known when we met that she had a boyfriend.

After a couple of weeks, the dreams about the red-headed kids stopped but I would lay awake at night remembering what it had been like to hold her; the smooth way she danced – how sexy the freckles on her stomach were. It seemed the more I blocked it out the more I was obsessed with those freckles. When I had remembered dismissing her because of her ugly moth-eaten hat or that spray of freckles across her nose, I was 'shamed of myself. I had lost all interest in picking up a woman - someone like Molly for a night of sex ... and nothing else.

One day I got a call from the ranch owner, Jules Larsen. He had two other ranches and wanted the three managers to meet for planning purposes. The ranch I managed was outside of San Angelo and the other two were close to Midland-Odessa (close to most of his oil investments) and outside of Uvalde. He had to meet with some oil people in Houston so he wanted to meet there.

He said he'd send a Lear jet to the San Angelo Airport to pick me up. I was surprised when I got on that he was on-board. I was even more surprised with what he had to say.

"Jake, I know you hide behind your 'aw, shucks' manner but I checked with Texas A&M. You were ranked number two in your class and I know about the Silver Star and Purple Heart you earned with the 82nd Airborne in Grenada. You are a natural leader so don't try to snow me. You can lay your 'Texas Twang' on the ladies at the dance hall but you can do great things if you want.

"Okay, here's the deal. I want to put one man in charge of all three ranches and oversee a couple more I'm looking at. I'll give you a ten per cent interest and you can live at any of the ranches you want. If you stay in San Angelo you can take over my house as yours and convert the old house to offices and storage. I'll give you a couple of weeks to visit the ranches and then we will meet and talk about budget. You know you are the only one that shows a profit."

We talked the rest of the way to Houston making plans. I talked to him about Hank taking over the San Angelo ranch. Hank had owned a pretty big spread but turned it over to his son from an early marriage. He was bored doing nothing so he bought the feed store.

He met with each of the other managers first and then turned it over to me. They were okay with it and actually pretty supportive. I set it up that I'd visit each ranch once a month for a couple of days and twice a year they would come to the main ranch in San Angelo for a planning meeting.

The three of us decided to go to Gilley's club to wrap the two-day meeting up. We were feeling pretty good. I'd tried to call Hank at the feed store but they told me I might catch him at Gilleys.

We ate dinner on the way so we were feeling pretty good when we got there. We got a table and I went looking for Hank. I finally found him dancing with Sally. I really didn't want to see her – I was afraid I'd make a fool of myself again.

I sidled up to them and tapped on Hank's shoulder. To say he was stunned to see me would me an understatement.

"Hey, Hank, there's a couple of guys over at that table," I nodded to the other two managers and they waved," that want to talk to you. I'll be over in a minute with a proposition for you."

Sally was standing there, looking lost. The band was playing a slow waltz and I put my arms 'round her and started dancing. She seemed shy and I didn't feel like talking. It felt good to hold her. At first she held back but after a bit seemed to melt into my arms ... confusing me to no end.

To someone watching us, it must have seemed sad – we were dancing like it wasthe last dance (which it most likely was) – but yet we both would have seemed so sad.

The song ended and I stepped back quickly. I looked hard into her eyes - searching for I didn't know what – then I quickly said:

"I wish you the best of luck, Sally. I'm sorry for hurting you; I really didn't mean to. I hope everything works out with your boyfriend. Goodbye. I promise never to bother you again."

I walked away with tears in my eyes.

SALLY

As Jake walked away, I could see he had tears in his eyes. My head felt like it was filled with sawdust – I couldn't think and I couldn't understand what Jake had been talking about. I started to follow him across the floor but he sat down with Hank and the other two guys.

I got back to the table and sat down and started crying. Tammy had been dancing with Timmy but when she saw me sittin' there sobbin' she came right over. She put her arm 'round me and patted my back like I was a little girl. Maybe I was ... except for ...

Timmy looked over to where Jake was sittin' lookin' like he was gittin' angry. I swear, if he had his 'Arkansas toothpick,' he woulda gone over and cut Jake's ears off.

Tammy told him to sit down and then led me outside to see what had happened.

"Okay, Sally, what's goin' on? I want to hear purdy much all of it"

"Oh, Tammy. It's such a mess. I don't know what to do. Jake just told me he wouldn't see me again and I'm ... Oh, Tammy I'm ..." and I couldn't talk any more.

Tammy went back inside and came back about twenty minutes later with Timmy in tow.

"Let's go, girl. Were goin' home."

"But ... where's Hank? What's going on?"

"Hank's going home with Jake on the Lear jet. Don't ask; I don't know anything about the plane. I just had a minute to talk to Hank and what I understood was that Hank was taking over as the manager of the ranch."

"What about Jake?"

"I don't know, honey. What I understood from Hank is that Jake's is movin'."

"Oh, no; he can't ... he doesn't understand ... he doesn'tknow!" I gasped this last out as I started sobbin' again.

As Tammy held me, I told her everything and she said, "Okay, Sally, listen closely, this is the plan."

By the time we got back to home, I'd stopped crying – I was even smilin' a little. Tammy was so devious.

JAKE

Walking back to the table I grabbed a beer from a passin' waitress. I sure needed it now. My emotions had been knocked cattywampus from seein' Sally. I stood there and drank about half of it, then put the bottle on a nearby table and went to wrap up things with Hank. The other two had given Hank a general overview and I sat down to seal the deal. I really need Hank. I knew him well and I knew he was a good rancher and a good man.

He was pretty excited about it – when I asked him, his only response was, "Darn tootin'."

We kicked it back-and-forth for a bit and I spotted Tammy walking up. I told Hank to tell her about him flying home with me.

"Can I tell her 'bout the ranch?"

"Sure, Hank," I mumbled as I cut for the rest room. When I got back, Tammy was gone and we wrapped up our business. When we got to San Angelo, I drove Hank home and went out to the farm. Hank was going to move into the old house and I would immediately start moving to the new one.

Jules didn't have much at his place so I moved what he did have into the guest bedroom, which was really a small suite. Hank and I with the help of a couple of hands, moved Hank's stuff out from town and mine into the big house on the hill. It was more than a house. The damn thing was over six thousand square feet with a four-car garage and its own horse barn. There was even a fully stocked playroom for the few times Jules had visited with his grandkids. His wife had died in a car accident and his two boys both lived in San Antone.

JakeRivers
JakeRivers
1,056 Followers