The Guardians Ch. 03

Story Info
Isabella and the Horsemen of Apocalypse.
6.6k words
4.67
17.2k
7

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/23/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
musecues
musecues
102 Followers

"Our analyst tells us that there has been a significant increase in the amount of searches done through the library systems and the internet database on certain keywords that are of concern to the Order Sir," the thinner of the two said.

"Do not waste my time with stupid suspicions Cornelius. The internet is just what it is- words; they lead to nothing. The key is here and it is safe. No one, I repeat, no one is smart enough to piece everything together," the burly one replied. Though muscular and big in size, the man looked very elegant in his white designer suit as he sipped his cup of tea.

"But sir, the hits have been increasing over the past few days and are always the same- Dante, Dürer. Anicii, Donati... Portinari," the man named Cornelius replied.

The man who was drinking his tea paused for awhile, considering this piece of information. Taking a notepad, he wrote something, ripped it off and gave it to him.

"Take this to the analyst- he'll know what to do... And Cornelius?"

"Yes sir?"

"Tell the Battle at East Sussex that I want Portinari under lock and key at all times. Increase their security if they must," said the large man.

Cornelius scampered as fast as he could away from the man. He had never told anyone his real name but had instructed all to always address him as Mr F . But most of them called him Mr Foul, from his initials- F.A.O. He hardly spoke but was neither kind nor brute in his management of the Order. Most of them kept out of his way and did not bother him much unless it was absolutely important.

The man called Mr F. stared out the window from his office. From time to time, some people have taken interest in those subjects that Cornelius had mentioned but to be interested in them all at the same time? That is too much of a coincidence.

****

When Ella woke up that morning, she had found herself asleep ontop her books on her father's desk. Looking at the clock, she realized that it was already 9am. Her father must have already left for his class. She was still bleary eyed when she walked to the kitchen to fetch herself a glass of milk.

"Morning sunshine," a deep baritone voice greeted her. Ella was still half dazed to recognize the voice and had screamed in surprise.

"Your father let me in. He told me to wake you up and take you out... But when I saw you sleeping, I decided to help myself to breakfast. Care for some?" said Ben calmly. Ella eyed him suspiciously.

"No kisses or suspicious seduction?"

"Yuck... you might have morning breath," Ben replied a little too smoothly.

"WHAT?! I do NOT have morning breath you idiot! ARGH!" she yelled as she dumped her glass in the sink and stormed up to her room.

"Hey! I was joking! Ella!!!" he replied, getting to his feet and following her up the stairs.

"Stay there!" she yelled back. "Morning breath... I'll give you morning breath!" she muttered as she slammed the bathroom door.

"Way to go brother," Aurora snickered.

"It was a trick to get her out of the first floor so I can look at the stuff she was studying last night," Ben replied.

"But I've already told you that!" Adrian muttered.

"He's just trying to salvage his pride. Kinda reminds me of Anna don't you think? The way she'd yell at you. But of course you'd yell back at her all the same," chimed Aurora.

"Hush now all of you. Look..." Ben pointed out. "She found links here and there but I don't know how she's going to piece them together. She will need to find more clues before she finds anything substantial."

"At least she doesn't know we're her guardians," Aqurico said.

"No one knows that; it has never and could never be documented because the women only know this at the hour of their death," replied Ben.

"You forget the old man and the late Lady Margaret..." said Adrian.

"No... they wouldn't... would they?"

"Then what do you call this?" Aurora said, holding up thedivinia comediaand the printing of the Four Horsemen of Apocalypse by Dürer.

"No! Rafael would never betray us, nor would he purposely harm his daughter by sharing such information! No, I know him... he will not do this. Perhaps he wanted to check us up... wanted to make sure we could really protect Ella," Ben said defensively.

"I trust him," Aqurico said. "Sometimes when his emotions get too overwhelming, I can sense their presence. He is a kind soul, that man; he only wants happiness for his daughter."

"Ben!" called Ella from upstairs. The four siblings looked at each other. Ben turned to leave the study and gestured for his siblings to return to their spirit form. He wondered what she could possible want.

"Yeah?" he yelled back.

"Would you like to follow me to the Sussex fair?" Ella said as she walked down the stairs. Ben raised his eyebrows as he studied her dressing: jeans, a white polo t-shirt and a cowboy hat; in her hands a pair of leather boots.

"In England?" he asked cautiously.

"No, silly! Here, in New Jersey! What don't you ever read American history?" laughed Ella as she put on her leather boots.

"And, what of this fair?"

"Oh, this and that. It's a charity fair. Kinda like fun raising like what we used to do in school. Oh god... Don't tell me you've never been to a fair?!" gasps Ella.

"Does the Highland Games or Olympics count?" he replied, giving her a weak smile.

"No, we do not wear kilts nor is this a competitive arena. Come on! It'll be fun!" sniggered Ella as she pushed him out the door and locked it behind them.

Ben heard his siblings laughing their heads off, but he didn't dare say a word for fear that he might say it out loud and spoil her good mood.

"So, tell me about this... fair" Ben said as they were walking towards the garage.

"Well, every August, there's a ten-day agricultural fair that takes place at the Sussex County Fairgrounds. I cannot believe that you've never heard of it! Where have you been all these while huh?"

Looking after your predecessor...

"So, yeah, it's usually a lot of fun and I'm sure you'll learn something too! Medieval history is a thing in the past, professor. I suggest you move on and live in this era," she continued, oblivious to the scowl on his face.

Ella had geared up her father's old space wagon and laughed as Ben closed his eyes.

"Saying a prayer?" she mused

"I have many lives. Just spare me my last one," he retorted, though he knew that that was possibly not far away from the truth.

Ella's driving left much to be desired for halfway through the ride as they were entering Morristown, north of Princeton, Ben felt Leukós protesting to be freed. The horse had a mind of its own as it simply parted from Ben's body to run wild behind the car- leaving him a pale translucent color. He was just glad that Ella was so focused on the road that she didn't even turn to look at him when she spoke. The open range that greeted them as they neared their destination made the other three horses rejoicing with glee. From the side mirror, he could see his three siblings on horseback trailing them from behind.

"Oh, look! We must be nearing the fair already. How nice of their farm hands to guide us from behind," said Ella as she looked at her rear mirror. Ben's mouth went agape as he realized that she could see them too. She wasn't supposed to see any of them except him!

The Statesville Quarry road that took them to the fair was a long straight road but when they finally reached, they were greeted with a view of a the fairground, with its wide marquees and show ring seats, the Ferris wheel and many other stalls that were already open and offering food or games to the crowd that were already there.

After Ella had parked the car, Ben had held her forearm and looked at her.

"Why'd you bring me here Ella?" he asked, his eyes growing intense as she looked back at him.

"I... I... Papa hasn't brought me here for a long time... I just thought... we could spend some time together before the semester starts... I..." she stammered, not knowing really how to put it.

"Ella..." Ben moved closer and covered her mouth with his. He could taste the excitement and also the anxiety in her. She tasted so sweet and was softly yielding against him. He knew why she had brought him here. He could hear her thoughts throughout the ride, but he had wanted her to say it to him. Breaking the kiss, he gave her cheeks a little pinch and started to open the door.

The fair had already started. Families with children were strewn all over the fairgrounds. He thought he saw a baby crawling race and a kissing booth: they all seem so strange to him.

Ella was already busying herself with purchasing candy floss and drinks at one of the stalls. When she offered him some, he declined, knowing that he wouldn't be able to taste them anyway.

It was at that moment that she caught sight of the horse rides. It was one of the few areas that were incredibly crowded with children and adults alike who were waiting for their turns. The show horses had just returned from their parade around the show ring and were being saddled up.

"Oh, Ben! Look at them. They're so beautiful! Do you think I could go and queue up for a ride?" she pleaded in between her childish giggles. Ben looked at Ella in disbelief. She has four horses and she wants to ride that skinny little show horse? Ben heard Leukós whimper in agreement. He was a purebred stallion and that little mutt of a show horse was...

"Go and entertain yourself if you don't want to wait in line," said Ella, distracting his jealous thoughts.

"Huh?"

"You looked so angry... so I'm guessing you're not into horses or something. But, you don't get to ride horses back at Princeton you know..." said Ella, cautious not to say something wrong lest he get angry at her again.

"I'm not angry Ella... it's just... why... argh! Never mind..." he said as he waited patiently in line with her.

"You're so going to do it aren't you?" Ben heard Aqurico say to him

"Oh yeah, he's so going to do it," Aurora agreed.

"I refuse to be part of this conversation," said Adrian.

"I'll show those farm raised colts what a real horse is!" Ben said in his head.

"We could join you... for fun," suggested Aurora.

"And kill everyone, little sis?" sneered Ben.

"This is so unfair!" she retorted.

Ben looked towards the stables where the show horses were being saddled. He saw that those who had stayed in line were walking towards the stables to choose their horse or pony. Ella would probably be in the next round.

So he stayed there and watched the horses trotting slowly over the sturdy ground. They were fine breeds of course, but they were still domesticated and raised for shows.

"Ella, I'll see you when you're done? I probably will watch from those stands over there alright?" Ben said as Ella walked to the stables.

"Uh, okay..." she replied, obviously uninterested in what he had to say as her eyes was fixed on the few horses that were returning to their stables.

It took Ben less than a second to reach the stable and to take the form of Leukós- the Palomino thoroughbred. The guardian Abben and his siblings had three forms- one as the spirit rider and its horse, one as the spirit inside its horse's form and the other is the horse inside its human form. Leukós grunted its pride as he materialised, standing tall among the other horses in the stable. He clearly looked out of place, with his white coat, white mane and tail. The other chestnuts had let out soft whines as recognition of his alpha male status in the stable at that moment.

When Ella and the others entered the stable to choose their horse, Leukós had stood proudly, with his head up high, confident that she would come to him. Ella had noticed the regal looking Palomino but had looked away. She didn't think she was fit to be riding a thoroughbred like that! He was a handsome horse of course but she didn't think he would be too tame for her.

Ben heard her thoughts and Leukós led out a loud bray of protest. He was a great horse! Leukós trotted to her side and nudged her arm, forcing her to look at him. Ella had turned, with a look of intimidation in her eyes and walked away. Still, the horse followed her.

"Just look at him!" Aurora laughed. "He looks like a stallion in heat, chasing after his mare. Oh boys... why don't we give him some help?"

Aqurico and Adrian laughed. They had never seen their eldest brother sillier than he was right now.

Ella kept moving away from the Palomino even as it followed her. She saw that most of the others had already chosen their horses. It was at that moment that she set her eyes on the demure looking black stallion with a white marking down its forehead. He was so beautiful yet had a certain shyness to him. Ella moved closer and stroked its forehead. The stallion gave a soft bray and rubbed its snout at her cheeks.

Ella was enchanted with this black beauty and immediately signalled for the horse groom to help her mount him. The stallion stayed still as she climbed onto him. When the horse groom pulled at his reigns, he gave a silent trot and walked into the sunshine. The Palomino followed beside him. Ella didn't like the white horse at all! It looked so threatening as compared to her docile horse.

"I'm going to kill you when I get the chance!" Ben snapped at Adrian as they trotted side by side.

"You're the one reaching mortality and I can't die. You know that. Stop being a baby Abben," said Adrian.

He was always the gentlest of the lot and never quarrelled with his siblings over most things. Many recounts had always awarded virility and looks to the first horseman, Abben but it was because they never had the chance to see the third horseman while they were alive. Adrian was the bringer of famine and diseases and most artists would imagine him with boils and crackled skin. But Adrian was truly the most handsome of the lot. His black hair was long and always combed neatly backwards. His eyes were elegant gems of charcoal while his face always wore a sexy five o'clock shadow.

"She's mine Adrian! You know that. Why'd you transform anyway?"

"You were getting pompous, brother. Did you see the way you made her afraid? You of all people should know that if she rejects you; in any form, you will cease to be her guardian."

Ben kept quiet for a while. Leukós stopped snorting its anger and began to quieten down, trotting silently beside Mélas.

"Don't let your ego overtake you Abben. She is yours and always will be. There is no need fight for your prize," Adrian concluded as Ella slipped off him at the end of her ride.

"You're such a beautiful horse," she said as she stroked his forehead again. "Maybe I'll see you again next time when I'm here."

Mélas let out a humble neigh of delight and trotted back to the stables, followed by Leukós. When Ben resumed his human form, Adrian had resumed his spirit form and disappeared from sight.

"Oh Ben! Did you see me? Oh, I rode the most charming horse ever! He was so gentle and calm and never made a single protest even when I dug too hard into his sides," said Ella as she laughed. "Oh, but did you see that white horse that kept following us around? I think he wanted me to ride him. Oh Ben! I wish you had joined me. It would have been so much fun!"

"Oh, I was watching you, my dear... and you are a good rider," he replied and kissed her forehead.

While Ben accompanied Ella at the fair, Adrian and Aurora watched from afar. They were at the ridges facing the fairgrounds and were standing beside their individual horses.

"Adrian... you surprise me brother," said Aurora.

Adrian merely looked at her and smiled.

"She's the one isn't she?"

"Yes," he replied.

"I'm sorry Adrian..." Aurora said as she caressed his cheeks. She was closest to him for they were only a year apart. She had adorned his clothes and imitated his sword fighting skills in order for the imperial officials to admit her into their training regime. When Adrian had found out, he had not scolded her as Abben would have, but had instructed her, in solitude on how to perfect her moves.

It was a year later that she joined her brothers as knights for the Roman Empire. When the Emperor Olybrius had put Abben in charge of his imperial knights, Aurora had been thrilled.

Aurora hadn't always wanted to be a knight. She had had those dreams too, of being whisked away by a handsome prince. But one day a massacre had taken the lives of her parents when her brothers were away at the castle and she had crawled under her bed; unknown to their perpetrators who had slaughtered her parents in front of her 12yr old eyes.

She had remembered when she first laid eyes on the Princess Anicii. The four of them had been knighted in a special ceremony in front of the royal family for displaying exceptional bravery and valour. Olybrius had required them four to undergo a special journey for him to retrieve something for him, which Aurora felt too painful to recall. She had known then, that the Emperor had chosen Abben as their leader for he was getting too close to the princess Juliana Anicii and he had had other plans for her; to be wed to Dagalaiphus who was to succeed her brother as theMagister militum: master of the military. He was of royal descent, while Abben, was not and Olybrius had sent them out on this mission with every intention of killing them all.

When Abben was assigned for this mission, he had requested for the best imperial doctor to ride with them. Adrian though a talented knight, had previously given up his place in the military for Aurora, so that she could pose as him. Instead, he went to teach medicine and the laws of science for the imperial children. It was there that he fell in love with the Princess Juliana. But she had always loved his brother, Abben and so Adrian had never told anyone his feelings except to Aurora, his beloved sister.

Like Abben, he too had waited century after century for the rebirth of Juliana. He had never stood in Abben's path for he knew that Juliana was destined to be with him. He had loved Ella and had always taken care of her health, as her doctor and her personal guardian. For him, he would never ever attain mortality for his love would never consummate with him. Abben had marked her as his and so, he has to find some other in order to break the curse.

When Aqurico joined them a little later, he told them about the precarious state of emotions that Abben and Aurora were in. They were arguing again. Ella's emotional power was increasing with every moment that Abben remained close to her. Aqurico realised that she drained him when he began to react with his emotions, not his mind: for Abben was given the gift to manipulate minds, not emotions or health and as such could not hold his ground.

"Ella, why are you so angry at me? What did I do?"

"I don't know! You tell me! Ever since after that horse ride, you just wouldn't be nice to me. Everything that I said you'd reply 'whatever'! It's as if you really didn't want to be here!"

"I never said that!"

"But you didn't say you did either!"

Ben scowled at her for he didn't know what to say. He kept trying to read her mind in advance to know what she was going to say but he couldn't. There was a mental block in his mind and he was getting increasingly agitated.

"There you go again... going silent each time I hit the right spot! Oh, why did I even bring you? I knew you were going to be a spoilt sport!" she scowled back and started heading towards the car. Ben staggered after her. His siblings had left them alone and he knew that the long ride home would be the most unpleasant one ever. He couldn't remember being in such a horrible argument before. Even with Anna, he could always read her mind and never felt at a loss like now.

musecues
musecues
102 Followers
12