The Guardians of Justice Ch. 03

Story Info
The Iron Crowbar keeps the courts busy; criminals pursued.
11k words
4.8
8.5k
5

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 02/02/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 16 - Ink By the Barrel

"I would guess that the burners are in the hands of..." I said, "...the Civil Rights Division of the United States Department of Justice."

Cindy's eyes widened in shock. Teresa's face did not change at all. Tanya nodded thoughtfully.

"It makes sense." my Captain of Detectives said.

"And that's why I think Cindy will win the bet." I said. "Harlow will go through with the accusation, because she is colluding with the DOJ to come in against me if I try to do anything about the accusation against Allgood."

"This is getting ugly." said Tanya.

"Getting?" Teresa said derisively, her voice cutting.

"What's getting ugly is my lack of sleep." I said. "You guys go home. Now. That is not a request..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted the tired-looking redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, October 11th, from in front of the Courthouse complex on the east side of Courthouse Square. "Fox Two News has learned that Federal Judge K.M. Landis and Superior Court Judge Patrick R. Folsom have made landmark rulings in the ongoing Lieutenant Governor voting scandal!"

"First, a recap of yesterday's activities." Bettina said. "The SBI and FBI, acting upon State and Federal warrants, raided the State Republican Office in Midtown yesterday morning. When the security forces there resisted, they were engaged in personal combat by SBI Inspector Donald Troy and SBI Reserve Captain Cindy Ross, who subdued and arrested at least twelve armed guards without a shot being fired."

"Several Republican staffers were arrested, and admitted that they had falsified voting tallies from 54 of the 96 counties." Bettina continued. "They were all released after fingering State Republican Party Chair Ralph Corkle as the man who gave the orders to change the vote tallies. Mr. Corkle is a former Chief of Staff for Pottsville Republican Representative Wilson Hammonds, said to be the most powerful Republican in the State. Representative Hammonds has not been implicated in this scandal... so far."

"The action moved to the Courts," said Bettina, "where lawyers for Representative Sharon Marshall of Westphalia, including lawyer Mike G. Todd of the Madison & Ives Law Firm... again, that's Mike G. Todd of the Madison & Ives Law Firm... filed lawsuits to have Marshall named the winner of the caucuses based upon the vote counts submitted by the 96 county Republican offices and the City's Republicans. The State Republican Party filed a countersuit, saying that State Attorney General Karl Handel was the rightful winner and should be the name on the ballot."

"State Secretary of State Brian Cagle declared Handel the winner," continued Bettina, "but Superior Court Judge Patrick R. Folsom of the Town & County issued an injunction preventing Secretary Cagle from certifying Handel. Appellate Judge Leahy immediately overturned Folsom's injunction, and said that Secretary Cagle could proceed, but his ruling was stopped by an injunction from State Supreme Court Chief Justice Robert Johnson. The State Supreme Court convened yesterday and will be in special session today."

"Federal Judge K.M. Landis also came in with an injunction preventing Secretary Cagle from certifying Karl Handel as the winner," said Bettina, "citing clear evidence of egregious violations of Federal as well as State election laws. Political experts were surprised that Judge Landis intervened so forcefully and actively in what they say should be a State matter."

"And now let's go to political reporter Amber Harris for more information on these historic events. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the athletic blonde. "First, Ralph Corkle is being represented by Brafford Bacon, who is also an attorney on the staff of Independent State Counsel Robert Mullen. When asked if he would investigate Commander Troy's role in the raid upon the State Republican Office, Mr. Mullen said, quote, 'I will investigate every aspect of Commander Troy's abuse of power and Police brutality.', unquote."

"However," went on Amber, "State Senators Jimmy Cerone and Moe Molinari issued a joint statement, which was endorsed by State Senator Katherine Woodburn of the 1st District, saying that such an investigation of Commander Troy would be outside the scope of Mr. Mullen's mandate as Independent State Counsel, and that they, Senators Cerone and Molinari, would file lawsuits to block Mr. Mullen from the attempt to expand his investigation in such a manner. They also said that the Legislature could move to shut down the ISE's investigation of Governor Jared altogether if Mr. Mullen, quote, 'continues to harass Commander Troy or Sharon Marshall by abusing his authority by unlawfully attempting to expand the Independent State Counsel mandate', close quote."

"We have with us Dr. Adam S. Keller of the City University Rodham Foundation for Political and Social Change." said Amber. "Dr. Keller, what does the Cerone/Molinari declaration mean?"

"Amber," said Keller in the smoothest voice he could muster, "it is obvious that these two powerful legislators are trying to cover for Commander Troy's abusive tactics. What should frighten everyone is that Commander Troy is going to owe these powerful men a debt for their support of him, and we can only wonder what they'll ask Commander Troy to do... maybe to cover up a crime, or intimidate women with credible claims of sexual harassment, as Val Jared had Commander Troy do? This is just very frightening, and I would urge the Town & County Council to fire Commander Troy immediately, before he hurts innocent people."

"Back to you, Bettina!" Amber said happily.

"Amber," said Bettina, "what does Dr. Keller say about what's going to happen for the General Elections?"

Amber was put back onscreen. "Dr. Keller has had to go, to do other interviews, but I talked with him earlier about that, and he said that all this could be tied up for months, even years, in Court, and he expects there will be no Republican name for Lt. Governor on the General Election ballot. It could be that Senator Maxine Watts's name will also be disallowed, though no one is claiming any voter fraud at all by the Democrats."

"Thank you, Amber! That's amazing stuff!" said Bettina. "And finally, deeply unpopular Governor Val Jared gave a sparsely attended Press conference yesterday afternoon. He thanked the SBI-OER for their fast response and getting to the truth, and he thanked Commander Troy and Captain Ross for their assistance in the investigation. The Governor said that he believes Sharon Marshall should be declared the winner and put on the ballot. Sharon Marshall is one of Jared's few allies in the Legislature that is willing to admit being a Jared supporter."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Can you sue that Keller bastard for those comments?" Cindy asked me as the Command Group and all the Captains (those under Cindy as well as those under me, including Chaplain (Captain) Romano) watched in the Main Conference Room.

"Yes, I can." I said. "But I'd likely not win, and he'd get publicity and a lot of money to support what they would call his martyrdom and being bullied by that mean ol' Police Commander with the crowbar." There was tepid laughter.

"So what's going to happen, Mr. Crowbarrr?" asked Chief Moynahan.

"With Federal Judge Landis jumping in the pool," I said, "this will be resolved to-day. I will not be surprised if Marshall is put on the ballot, and then the lawsuits will be hashed out over time, but by then it will not matter."

"Why is Landis getting involved?" asked Captain Marc Aaron, the Physical Properties guy.

"I think he's tired of the crap." I said. "Ladies, want to get an early start on the Angels meeting?"

"You guys go ahead." said Cindy. "I'm going to meet with my guys."

"Where is Lieutenant Hollowayyyy?" asked the Chief.

"She's on assignment." said Cindy. "I told her to sleep in and go directly to City Hall and meet with the Public Service civilians there when they open for business. It seems that Police Chaplains earning Police Crosses does not compute well with their computer system over there." She patted Father Romano on the shoulder as she said it.

We all laughed, and I said "Maybe I should send Father Romano over to do an exorcism on those computers."

"I was hoping you'd send him to do an exorcism on all the politicians in this State." said Teresa. "Lord knows they need the Devil beaten out of them." There was much agreement with that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I didn't want to say this in front of Captain Aaron or the others," I said to Teresa and Tanya as we sat down in my office, "but Judge Landis and Judge Rodney K. Watts have been good friends for a long time, and Landis is very aware of some of the corruption going on. Watts has stayed in the background so that he cannot be accused of not recusing himself, since Maxine Watts is his cousin; and Folsom was not going to let Nance touch any of this stuff. Thank God for Landis, too, as Leahy is so far to the Left he tilts the boat. Okay, what are your agenda items for me this morning?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 7:58am, I said "Let's watch some TV." I turned on the KSTD broadcast.

An ad came on. A woman said "Political corruption. The stench of voter fraud permeates the State as the Republicans rig the vote. Antonio Griswold and Daniel Allgood are running as Republicans, as part of this corrupt Party... and furthermore, they've allowed Commander Donald Troy to exercise Police brutality against Minorities, shooting indiscriminately into a public park (a helicopter flying at night was shown), and allow his child to be exploited for political purposes (Carole at the Grizz rally was shown, though sound was not allowed). How do we stop this corruption and brutality? Vote Democrat."

"Hi, I'm Della Harlow, candidate for Sheriff, and not on the corrupt Republican ticket." said Harlow.

Then Eldrick X. Weaver appeared, saying "I'm Eldrick Weaver, candidate for Mayor against Daniel Allgood of the corrupt Republican Party. Commander Harlow and I are running as a team to fight corruption and Police brutality."

"The Democrats will work hard to restore integrity to Government, and weed out the corruption that infests the top levels of the TCPD." said Harlow. "I'm Della Harlow, and I approved this message."

"I'm Eldrick Weaver, I approved this message, and like so many of you," he said, pointing at Della, "I'm with her!"

The KSTD/SNN broadcast had nothing new. They had Cynthia Freeman interviewing the snake, Dr. Adam S. Keller, who said about me the same things he'd said to Amber.

"I think he's goading you, Commander." said Tanya. "I think he wants you to sue him."

"Yes, that's exactly what he wants." I said. "Imagine his surprise when he finds out I don't exactly play by his rules."

"Heh!" said Teresa happily. She was itching to break a few rules herself.

"What about that ad, sir?" Teresa asked.

"Uhhh... on the one hand, it was well done, attempts to take advantage of the scandal." I said. "They must think they can help Harlow by having Weaver appear with her in that ad. On the bad side, they can run against me all they want, but it's like shadow-boxing... they don't have an opponent, I'm not running, they're punching at air. And mayyyyybe I'm a weeeeeee bit biased, but to show that cute-as-a-button child supporting Chief Griswold in their ad? Makes me want to vote for Griswold."

"Sir... how badly will this hurt the Republicans?" Tanya asked.

"It's going to be worse than a wave." said Teresa. "It's going to be a tsunami, a wipeout."

"You might be very surprised to hear," I said, "that it may not be. Some Establishment Republicans in close races will lose, but a number of Grassroots Conservatives won Party nominations in the rural areas. They've already been campaigning on a 'Change' platform, so if they work it right, they might do all right."

"Is that wishful thinking on your part, Don?" Tanya asked incisively.

"Uh... yeah." I admitted. "Like the Wolf of Clan Troy just said... it's going to be a tsunami..."

Part 17 - A New Hope?

At 11:00am, FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone came to my office. It was not lost on Your Iron Crowbar that he was spending more time over here than 'normal'.

"Hi, Jack." I said. "Thanks for your help yesterday. Having the FBI there really made our job easier."

"I don't think it's too much to claim that it kept Wilson Hammonds and some of the others from going to Midtown and harassing the hell out of you and the SBI-OER people." said Muscone. I agreed with him, as he was correct.

"It was a long day, too." I said. "You look tired."

"Yeah, after you guys left Midtown for home," said Jack, "we FBI guys still had a lot to do in Midtown, then we had to drive up to the City and meet with the EAD for two hours."

"About the Guardians of Justice?" I asked.

"That was some of it." said Jack. "But also a briefing on what's going on in Washington. Don, you need to take those threats by the DOJ seriously. The Swamp Frogs are using the Civil Rights Division to get back at you. Partially for revenge, and partially because they want to get their people into positions of power in this State, and they fear you interfering with their plans."

"They'd better fear that." I muttered.

"Yeah, I know." said Muscone. "But they're not kidding about arresting you, which is just another word for 'disappearing' you. And you know the Press hates you so much that they not only would keep silent about it, they will help the Swamp Frogs get rid of you."

"I know." I said. "They're working together now to do it." Muscone must've been really tired, because that went over his head.

He continued: "We're going to do what we can to help you with the DOJ people. We have Judge Landis's Court order that they have to go through him to get to you. But we think they'll do what they want, and by the time Landis hears about it, you'll be dead already---"

*Whirrrrrrrrr*

That sound was followed by Helena opening the door to admit Tanya Perlman, who said "Turn on the TV, guys. Breaking news!"

I turned on the monitor to KXTC as Helena closed the door, leaving us alone. We watched as the 'BREAKING NEWS' graphic flashed up, then Bettina Wurtzburg appearing.

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette. "We are breaking into the 'Point Taken' broadcast to update you on the increasingly fluid situation with the special caucuses!"

Bettina started: "Earlier this morning, Superior Court Judge Patrick R. Folsom issued a ruling on the lawsuits filed over the voting returns of the Republican caucuses. He found that the State Republican Office had changed the vote numbers in 54 of the 96 county returns, and had changed the numbers to a degree that would change the outcome. Per the 96 county returns plus the City's, Sharon Marshall won by a wide margin." Bettina gave the numbers.

"In his ruling for Rep. Marshall and the Plaintiffs," said Bettina, "Judge Folsom ordered Secretary of State Brian Cagle to certify Sharon Marshall as the winner of the Republican Caucuses, and to put her name on the ballot for Lieutenant Governor in the General Election in November. Brian Cagle refused to follow that order, and stated that his original certification of Karl Handel would stand."

"Governor Jared then issued an order for Cagle to comply with the Court Order, or face arrest for voter fraud." Bettina said. "Secretary Cagle issued a press statement in reply that Governor Jared had no standing in this matter, that he, Cagle, was an elected official, and that Governor Jared was a failed Governor that should be impeached and made to stand criminal trial for abuse of power in using the SBI to suppress the credible claims of two women that accused Jared of sexual harassment."

Bettina continued: "At that point, Federal Judge K.M. Landis issued a Federal order saying what Judge Folsom's order had said, and warned Secretary Cagle that a failure to comply and a failure to certify Rep. Marshall would result in Cagle's arrest and imprisonment for Contempt of Court. At that point, just half an hour ago, State Secretary of State Brian Cagle resigned as Secretary of State rather than comply with the Court orders."

Bettina went on: "Assistant Secretary of State Kirby Grace did follow the Court order, and has certified Representative Sharon Marshall as the Republican candidate for Lieutenant Governor in November. However, the State Republican Party sued to stop that, and also denounced Marshall and stated that she did not have the backing nor standing to be listed as the Republican's nominee. Folsom immediately dismissed the lawsuit, saying they'd already made that complaint as their countersuit to the Marshall lawsuit, and that he, Folsom, and Judge Landis had ruled against them."

"Appellate Judge Leahy granted the State Republicans's request for a stay until the appeals could be heard," said Bettina, "but again, Federal Judge K.M. Landis stepped in and overturned the the stay, saying that Marshall's name would be on the ballot, that she would be listed as the Republican nominee, and that appeals could be heard in due time, but that would not be allowed to thwart the will of the People in the votes they cast last Tuesday night."

"We have with us Dr. Romanov of the University's Institute for Politics." said Bettina. "Dr. Romanov, what does all this mean?"

"This is a terrible blow to our democracy, Bettina." said Dr. Romanov. "Sharon Marshall did not win this caucus, and her name should not appear on the ballot until the appeals are exhausted."

"Doctor, that could take months, and the election is in November." said Bettina. "Wouldn't withholding her name disenfranchise those that voted for her?"

"That is an unbelievably stupid question, Ms. Wurtzburg!" shouted Romanov. "Are you on Val Jared's side? Supporting his candidate instead of the rightful winner, Karl Handel?"

At that point, the feed cut off. I'd later find out that Romanov walked out of the room he was in, tearing off the microphone he was wearing and hurling it at the cameraman.

"We seem to have lost our connection with Dr. Romanov." Bettina said, unperturbed, and perhaps with pun intended. "Let's go to Amber Harris at the Fox Two Decision Desk with more reaction... and another breaking news item, Amber?"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Amber Harris. "Fox Two News has just been told that State Attorney Jenna Stiles, who represented the State in the investigation of the State Republican Office, sent a letter to SDOJ Regional Director Harold Bennett and Governor Val Jared saying that she is recusing herself from any further participation in the case. State Attorney Glenn Alberts, who lost the Jan Camp lawsuit against the State, is expected to replace Ms. Stiles as the State Attorney for the case..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Every time Della Harlow ran the ad using Charlie Griswold's photo, Chief Griswold invoked 'equal time' laws to force the television station to run my rebuttal ad. So Harlow stopped running that ad and began running the Eldrick X. Weaver ad. And then her even newer ad ran as Jack, Tanya, and I were watching the breaking news. I happen to have DVR'd it.