The Happening

Story Info
Fantasy becomes reality.
2.7k words
4.55
35.2k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Do you realize that it was only 4 weeks ago you and I were walking down the aisle together and getting married?" Fern said to Don. The two of them were in the hospital looking forward to Fern's imminent discharge, hopefully before the weekend which was two days away. "At that time," she continued, "I really was walking because I had two legs then. But look at us now. We're married, we've been on an eventful Honeymoon and now any walking I will be doing will be with only one leg and a pair of crutches! What's happening to us darling?"

"Whatever has happened," Don replied, "I love you as much as I always have loved you. Our life together in our new home, as husband and wife and as two people sharing a challenge is all that I have ever dreamed of."

Indeed, it was 4 weeks ago that Don and Fern had taken their wedding vows. It was a small ceremony with several very close friends. A large party afterwards was held at the home of good friends who lived on the lake shore. The catered food, the music, the socializing and the dancing lasted long into the night. It was after many of the Guests had left that Don and Fern retired to their special suite at the Lakeside Hotel. As tired as they were, they drank more wine and sat in the hot tub and enjoyed each other's physical being until the morning sun began to colour the hills to the east.

They had no plans for the next day other than to lie in each other's arms and enjoy the formalization of a relationship that had grown over the last 2 ½ years. The two of them shared so many ideas, activities and values in common that theirs seemed like a relationship from heaven. And a special part of the life that they shared was their active fantasy life that they both used to heighten the physical side of their relationship.

Neither had brought any of the boots, lingerie, crutches or underwear that they used so often in their moments of passion. Instead, the high of the wedding experience was enough erotic stimulation to spend all of the next day in their bedroom pleasuring each other and talking about their departure in two days for their Honeymoon to St. Martinique in the Caribbean

Next day, the two were to head to Vancouver where they would catch a plane to Miami and then on to St. M. where they had booked 2 ½ weeks at an exclusive waterside resort. It was there that they would unpack into their personal Jalapa and set out their love toys for 2 ½ weeks of relaxation, pleasuring, teasing and tantalizing. They both looked forward to evenings when Fern would bind up her leg, dress in a high heeled sandal with laces on her apparent only leg and wine and dine together on their porch overlooking the ocean. Such a fantasy was a hugely arousing one for both Don and Fern.

It was on the second to last day that the two of them were in a boat and preparing to snorkel along the edge of the coral reef that protected the lagoon in front of their resort. Their Guide had readied the two experienced divers and was in the process of dropping them into the water when a wind squall arose. Don was already in the water and Fern had just dropped in and was preparing to swim away from the boat when a large rogue wave picked Fern up and threw her against the coral reef. Her full weight came crashing down on her left knee and leg as the wave raked her across the coral.

The damage was immediately apparent. The sea turned red with blood and both Don and the Guide dragged, pushed and pulled her back onto the boat deck. They quickly removed her gear and tied a very tight tourniquet high on her left thigh. As Don was attending to these matters, the Guide started the boat and began the race back to shore where he hoped his radio summons would produce an ambulance upon their arrival.

The ambulance was there, the ride and admission to the hospital was speedy and within 90 minutes, Fern was being stitched back together. Clearly their Honeymoon was over. It was serendipitous that they were leaving the next day for the trip home to Kelowna.

Under the influence of many pain killers, Fern weathered the long return trip reasonably well. The throbbing in her leg and the terrible burning were both so strong. The pain killers didn't make the trip an easy one. Upon landing in Kelowna late in the evening, Fern was taken immediately to Kelowna General Hospital where she was admitted into the IC Unit for observation.

Her condition did not noticeably improve. In fact, her temperature rose significantly and through her drug induced haze, Fern was able to communicate to Don her extreme discomfort. After several hours of supposed stabilization, a Doctor decided to reopen the wound and redress it completely. It was while doing so that the Doctor discovered an advanced infection had developed and spread from her upper calf through her knee and into her thigh. Fern was immediately filled with antibiotics and her condition downgraded to serious.

Over the next 24 hours, Fern was pretty much unconscious and was unaware of Don's continual presence at her side. He held her hand and he whispered loving encouragement into her ear. Don was so doting and devoted and in love with his wounded Bride of less than 3 weeks.

After 24 hours, and in face of a condition that had marginally deteriorated, another complete examination was begun. The verdict was dire. The infection had not spread but it had become more intense and some of the soft tissue above and below Fern's left knee had become gangrenous. This discovery prompted Don's removal from the room and a flurry of medical activity. Several Doctors poked and probed at Fern's damaged leg and discussed what it was they were seeing and what could be done. After about 45 minutes, one of the Doctors approached Don with some shocking news.

Fern's leg needed to be amputated, at least at mid-thigh, if she was going to recover her health and save her life! Don was aghast. The idea had never entered his mind. How could this have become so serious? The answers to those questions were secondary to what now became the job of saving his Bride's life. It was at that time that the Doctor asked Don to sign a Release agreeing to the radical surgery. In a daze, Don signed and the Doctors immediately began preparations for Fern's removal to Surgery where the amputation would take place.

Left to his thoughts, Don was stunned. His new Bride was going to be an amputee. Everything about their lives together except perhaps for a large part of their fantasy love life would have to change. What would it be like to awake in the morning beside a real one legged lover? What would it be like to not have Fern able to unbind her fake "stump" and step out again on two legs? What would it be like for Fern, an active woman involved in winter and summer sports of all kinds? These thoughts crashed in on Don as he slowly digested the situation he and Fern were in.

The finality of the moment, the true nature of Fern's pending incapacity was overwhelming. If it hadn't been for the fact that the two of them had spent so much time over the years as a pretend amputee couple, Don was certain his mind would have short circuited right there. Instead, he began to see not such a bleak side to their pending situation.

Both of them had really enjoyed the "game of amputee." Not only was it an exceptionally titillating and exciting love fantasy, it had evolved over the years to be a very frequent and extended activity that always culminated in hours of erotic bedroom activity. Over the last year, for example, the two of them had taken crutches and a wheelchair away with them on mini-romantic vacations to places like Calgary, Spokane, or resorts where they were not known.

There, they became known as the couple with the one legged wife. It had become part of the fantasy to wheel or crutch through strange shopping malls or down unexplored streets while window shopping or crutching through City Parks while Don would coo and whisper love entreaties into Fern's ear. They had developed such a sensual approach to this game that it was quite common for Don to be able to bring Fern almost to an orgasm in her chair or while perched on her crutches as they overlooked a city or country scene. They had been able to combine both Fern's fantasy of being "taken" in strange places with Don's love for boots, or more correctly, a boot on a single long sexy leg!

Surely now that the game was no longer a game this pleasure wouldn't change he thought. Perhaps the reality of a real stump of a thigh might be even more erotic and exciting than a pretend "stump," he conjectured.

The word arrived; Fern's left leg had been amputated well above mid-thigh. She was to have about a 5" stump of a thigh. The 5" was measured from the head of her femur where it joined the pelvis. The 5" was just enough bone and muscle to create a globe of flesh that seemed to be more an extension of her left buttock than a former leg. From the rear, Fern looked as if she didn't have any leg left while from the front it seemed as if she had a ball of flesh and bone that ended about 3" below her pubis. This real stump was considerably shorter than the knee length thigh that had been the focal point of their fantasies. Fern was in recovery and had no idea what had happened to her.

The operation went smoothly. Fern awoke 3 hours after entering the surgery with Don beside her empty left side. In fact, he was sitting on the hospital bed where her left leg should have been. When her eyes opened, his were staring into them. He smiled and told her how much he loved her, how happy that you was back in the land of the living.

"You have been very sick and it is only now that we all think you will be getting better," Don told her. "That, and the fact that I love you more than I have ever loved anyone in my life is the good news my dear. There is some bad news though. In order to save your life, the Doctors had to amputate your leg above your knee. Now you really are an amputee. "But Fern, my darling, a serious set back like the loss of a leg will do nothing to interfere with my desire to spend the rest of my life with you." He respoke the vows which he had just so recently pledged to her and Fern's eyes teared up.

Fern naturally was stunned and found it hard to believe what she had just heard. In her semi-dazed state, she asked Don to raise her bed and lift the covers. And there, just about a few inches below where her womanhood ached for Don was a bundle of bandage wrapping the end of what used to be her left leg.

"Oh my gawd!" was her response. "What am I going to do? Will you still love me Darling? How will I work? How will we be able to do all those wonderful things that we always do?" She slid her right leg around under the covers as if to confirm in her mind that there was no partner to be found anymore. She was full of questions and as Don answered them all with encouragement and love and gentleness, she calmed down. After a few minutes she actually made a joke about not having to spend too long a time learning how to use crutches because of all the practice she had had in the past. She knew, as Don did too, that there were lots of tears and sadness ahead but as Don had expected, Fern was able to see some of the not so tragic aspects of her loss.

She began her rehabilitation on the 5th day after the operation. At first she used a walker but her progress was so fast, she was using crutches before the day was out. The Nurses were all impressed with her ability to adapt to her new condition and of course neither Fern nor Don could say anything about the many hours in the past that had been spent on crutches. Don came every day for the rehabilitation sessions and was hard pressed not to blow his top. The sight of his new Bride walking on crutches for real was even more erotic for him than the days when they pretended.

He had brought several outfits for Fern so that she could get out of the drab hospital garb. Whether she was in her track pants with the left leg pulled up tight and tucked into her waist band or her maxi length jean skirt, she was cutting a magnificently desirous image and he would whisper that to her as she learned the techniques of crutching up and down stairs, of maneuvering on uneven ground and just getting the rhythm that was necessary as she threw her crutches forward and leaned into them in a moment of free fall before swinging her long lovely right leg through the sticks.

By Day 8, talk of being discharged was heard. Fern had her girlfriend Christine bring the outfit she saw herself leaving the hospital in. She wanted it to be a surprise for Don. Her and Don were talking more and more about resuming their physical pleasures. It had been almost 2 weeks since the two of them had lain together and that had been in a beach on St Martinque. Fern was very excited about feeling Don inside her and in moments alone, she wondered what it would feel like as he slide into her with a 7" stump of a thigh spread out to the side leaving the path wide open to her aroused womanhood. Don as well was getting excited but cautioned that she must do as the Drs said and give it some time.

The swelling was gone and most of the bruising had disappeared. Her smiling suture line on the back of her thigh was still tender and very visible but the Dr's had assured Fern that within a year, the sutures would be almost invisible. It seems that they had spent extra time and attention sewing her stump back together and had set as their goal an almost invisible scar on a perfectly round shaped stump. Her very short stump was perfectly rounded at its end, the suture line was straight and stitched closely and the Surgeon had assured Fern that he had taken great pains to carve the remaining muscles carefully and ligate the sub-cutaneous flesh thoroughly and completely. That meant the shape of Fern's stump was likely to evolve into a very "natural" looking appendage at the end of her left torso.

Dr. Paisley 's evening visit produced the result that both Fern and Don had been hoping for several days; she was to be released tomorrow at noon. The prospect of holding and squeezing each other, of tantalizing and arousing each other again was almost painful after the Dr. left the room. "Tomorrow will be such a great day my dear wife," Don said. "I can hardly wait to have you beside me in bed with my arms around you."

"And I can hardly wait to see what it will be like to be so aroused that you will be able to slip your manhood into my love while I have only one leg to spread for you." Fern replied. "I will be so ready when you come at noon. Until tomorrow my love, let us both get the rest we will need to see us through tomorrow's events."

(A unique illustrated version of this story is available from the Author)