The Hawkins Place

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, I knew it would take you a little time Alice." I swear I saw a smirk when she said that.

"May I refill your cup Grace?"

"No thank you Nate. I hope you don't mind I helped myself."

"Of course not. My apologies for leaving you alone."

"I didn't mind at all. It was wonderful just sitting here in quiet reflection." I picked up the remote and lit the fireplace for her.

"Does that add a little something?"

"Oh Nate, that is the perfect touch, thank you."

Alice said, "I hate to spoil things but if we are to get you to Atlanta tonight yet we best be leaving soon so I can be home before midnight."

We walked to the porch and I took Grace's hand between my hands and said, "Grace, it is an honor and a privilege to meet you. May I hope to see you again one day?"

"Nate, you darling man, you just may see me again. I want to see the rest of the restoration and the coach house. Actually I just want to see you again." While keeping her hand with mine she turned to Alice and said, "Alice, come here a moment will you?" When Alice stepped up Grace replaced her hand with Alice's. I now was holding Alice's hand and looking at her. Grace said, "Would you tell Nate the rest of the story and take your time about it. I'll be resting in the car. Bye Nate." I was very curious where this was going.

"Nate, this could take a few minutes, would you like to sit down?"

"I'd rather stand close to you and hold your hand."

"I understand you know somebody named Aggie." I was speechless for a minute.

"Yes, she's been the dearest person in my life. How did you know about Aggie?"

"You choose good friends. Now I also understand she told you a little of the history about the Hawkins place."

"Yes she did." Where the hell was this going?

"Did she tell you about an Allan Hawkins and the child named Kent?"

"Yes, she did."

"Did she tell you that there was another child?"

"Yes"

"That other child's name was Alice. Alice Hawkins Kent. Allan's wife was Grace. Grace Greer Hawkins."

"You mean you and Grace are..."

"That's who we are yes."

"Why didn't you tell me right off?"

"Aggie suggested you meet us on an even footing to start with and we agreed that she was right."

"How well do you know Aggie?"

"Aggie has been a friend to mother for more years than I can count I guess. They lost touch with each other, but when you bought the house Aggie contacted Grace and told her how you loved the place. Then when the problem with Kent came up and the police came calling, Aggie contacted us again. She has kept us informed about you in the most loving way you can imagine."

"Now I understand why Grace had such a hard time yesterday. She must have seen things that belonged to Kent."

"That was a lot of it, but the whole experience was more than she anticipated. I worried about what the shock might do to her."

"I noticed you watched her closely yesterday. My God I have a million questions but one question tops them all."

"I'll answer it if I can Nate."

"Can I see you again and very soon?"

"You just might be able to see me next weekend if you want to."

"No...I don't want to wait that long, but if I have to I will."

"Nate, the way Aggie talked I was afraid you were in love with her."

"I am Alice. She has been the single most wonderful woman I have ever met, and I'll always love her but as a dear friend that I'd walk through fire for."

"I'm glad to hear that. I better go. I'll call you next week sometime. Maybe we can have a date and we can play question and answer for hours, because I have a few for you too." Alice wrapped her arms around me and kissed me. "Bye Nate.

"Bye Alice."

Once they were gone I just dropped in the chair on the porch. I was going to wring Aggie's neck and then I was going to kiss her and tell her I loved her. Then I was going to wring her neck again. Once I had that plan established I went in and got a cup of coffee

I didn't do anything but sit on the porch for the next couple of hours and think. It finally dawned on me. I was happy. I had a good life. I was doing what I liked to do for the most part. I had Aggie. I didn't know if I should put her in the friend column or the girlfriend column. Let's see, I liked my job, I wasn't financially desperate yet, and the more I was in my new house the more I loved it. Now I had Alice in my life. I had a very good feeling about her. I had only been around her a little bit and I was falling for her. It also seemed she liked me an awful lot and I even adored Grace, so if it got serious I might have a great mother in law. As it turned out Pat did me a big favor. A painful one, but it worked out great.

While I was sitting there deciding what to fix for dinner I saw Aggie come home. I was giving her thirty minutes, maximum then I was calling her. That would give her time to take a deep breath, pee and rest a minute. I decided to get a meatloaf out of the freezer and have it for dinner, so I got it going in the microwave to thaw and had a cup of coffee. I checked my watch. It had been twenty minutes. I took my time and made two salads and got out some green beans. That was enough. Thirty minutes.

I called Aggie. "Hello Nate."

"I have about fifty questions for you."

"Is that all?"

"Dinner is on the table in thirty minutes."

"I guess I better get on over there then." I couldn't be mad at her. She may have done me the biggest favor in my life and it may have been the hardest thing she had ever done.

When I opened the door for Aggie I put my arms around her and kissed her. "I thought you were mad."

"No, I'm confused."

"I knew that."

"I love you." There was a long pause. I...I didn't know that."

"I knew it, but refused to accept it, but to let you off the hook, I also realize it can't be. That doesn't mean I don't love you. I'll always love you Aggie."

"Nate, I'm sure you know I love you too. You brought feelings to me I thought were long since dead or at least dormant. Having you near me has put a spring in my step and a smile to my face. I'll always love you Nate no matter what."

"Okay, now we have both finally admitted to loving each other, I want to know how you found the strength to stand by and introduce another woman into my life. I told Alice I'd walk through fire for you but that is nothing compared to what you just did."

"Did you really tell Alice that?"

"Yes I did."

"Would you really?"

"Without a second thought." Aggie got up and kissed me.

I said, "Aggie, I can't believe how you hustled me. Starting by pretending not to remember Alice or Grace's names. You knew the whole story didn't you?"

"Not exactly...I was shocked when we discovered Kent's remains but the rest I pretty much knew. I had to get some of the journals out of your house before you read any of them. It really was a family with strange ways. I'll never know if it was Grace or Allan's idea to keep Kent in that box. I like to think it was Allan's.

"Have you been seeing Grace right along?"

"No, I hadn't talked to her in ages, but when you bought the house I knew she'd be worried about the house she loved so much. I thought I'd put her mind to rest and keep her posted. I have to think she knew you'd find Kent unless Allan did that without telling her. That part is still a mystery to me. Now tell me about Alice."

"What can I tell you that you don't already know?"

Aggie smiled and asked, "Do you like her?"

"I like her very much. She is a beautiful woman but I feel weird talking about her with you."

"I understand Nate but I'm alright with it. I want you to be happy. If nothing develops with you two then so be it. I thought the two of you would be a great pair."

"How would you feel if she ended up living here with me?"

"I'd be so happy for you. Plus it might keep you near me just that much longer and I might get to see Grace more often."

We toasted each other and had dinner then retired to the living room and sat in front of the fire. "Nate, did you kiss Alice?"

"Yes"

"Did you like it?"

"Yes, now stop with those awkward questions." Aggie smiled.

Chapter Ten

"Aggie"

"Uh huh,"

"No matter what happens in the future. No matter if I'm with someone, no matter who, how, where, what or when, you will always have me to turn to if you need something. If you need someone to talk to, I'm available. If you need help of any kind I'm available. Alice will know that or anybody else for that matter. From now on if I kiss you and wink at you, you will know I'm telling you I love you." Aggie set her glass down and put her arms around my waist and her head against me. She didn't say anything for a long time.

Aggie finally looked up at me, her eyes watery, and said, "Thank you Nate. That is all I could ever ask for." We fell asleep together sitting in front of the fireplace, holding each other and didn't wake up until about three thirty.

"Aggie, let's go to bed. You can sleep in after I go to work."

"Okay Nate."

I buried myself in the house. It was my escape. I worked poor Andy to death. My bedroom was now down the hall and I was gutting the master suite tossing things out the window for Andy to haul away when he got a chance. I decided to rip out to the studs so that meant a major project was underway including the bathroom fixtures. I was hard at it on Thursday when Alice called. When I heard who it was I said, "I'm so glad to hear from you."

"Thank you Nate. You sound out of breath."

I told her what I was doing and we talked a bit then she asked, "How is your schedule this weekend?"

"For you, it's wide open."

"You smooth talking thing you. Can you stand it if I show up Saturday morning?"

"I sure can. Bring your jeans and you can help me remodel."

"Okay."

"I was just kidding, I wouldn't do that to you."

"See you Saturday."

"Alice" "Yes?"

"Be sure you're dressed when you get here I have a hired hand."

"You're cute... Bye."

Right after I hung up the phone rang again and it was Aggie announcing dinner. I dropped what I was doing and headed to her place. I had cut a path straight across so I was there in a couple of minutes. "What took you so long?"

"Sorry, it's a combination of wanting to see you and hunger."

"At least I came first." I gave her a kiss and she told me to sit down. We had a nice dinner as usual and we talked over coffee. I finally admitted Alice was coming Saturday and Aggie, after a brief pause, said to tell her hi for her. I said I had to get back because I'd made the biggest mess I'd ever made and had to get it cleaned up. I got up, kissed her, patted her ass and gave her a wink and a smile. Aggie smiled and winked back.

By Saturday morning I was hanging the first sheet of sheetrock. I had given Andy another bonus and the weekend off. I had decided to work until Alice got there, then I'd shower and take the day off.

Alice arrived about ten thirty and I met her at the door looking sweaty and covered with plaster. "You sure know how to dress for a date." When she came in I kissed her and said, "Let me jump in the shower real quick. I'll be much better company."

"If you don't mind me rummaging in the kitchen I'll make us some coffee."

"It's in the cupboard above the coffee pot."

"Do you need any help in the shower?"

"Don't ask twice or the answer will be yes."

I was down in near record time. "That was pretty fast."

"I was motivated." I gave her a quick kiss and got some coffee.

"So what are you working on now?" I told her how deep I was into the bedroom and said I had an awful mess. We talked a bit and Alice got a little serious.

"Nate I have to tell you, I watched you verbally waltz with my mother. She loved talking to you. You have totally charmed her."

"I'm glad she enjoyed herself, but I think a lot of it was the past coming back to visit her."

"That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. That simple phrase, the past coming back to visit her, is what she so enjoyed. Don't be surprised if she comes calling again before long."

"I'd like that. She is a grand lady and I can't imagine the chaos she caused when she was young."

"She claims I'm a lot like she was at my age, so after you know me better you two can discuss it."

"That could be very interesting."

"Before I forget it, Aggie says Hi."

"How is Aggie?"

"Spectacular"

"You really do have a place in your heart for her haven't you?"

"I most certainly do."

"Mother and I think she is special too."

"Would you like to go over and say Hi? I'm sure she'd be delighted to see you."

"Let's do that just for a minute." I grabbed the phone and called her.

"Hi. Alice is here and wants to come over and say hi to you. You decent?" "You're right Aggie; you aren't just decent you are great I stand corrected. We'll be right there."

I led the way and we cut across to her house. "I can tell from the path you are a regular visitor here."

"All the time." Aggie seemed genuinely happy to see Alice.

After talking a minute, Alice said, "When I asked Nate how you were he said spectacular. What did he mean by that?"

Aggie looked at me and smiled then said, "He just likes my cooking I guess." We visited some more then got up to leave. I went over and gave Aggie a kiss and pat on the butt then winked at her. I wanted Aggie to see that some things would never change as far as I was concerned. Once we were out of ear shot Alice said, "Do you always kiss her and pat her ass?"

"Most of the time yes."

"If I didn't know better I'd think you two were secretly married."

"We are really close."

Once we were inside I asked Alice if there was anything special she wanted to do while she was in town. That caused a long pause. "Yes but that can wait. Show me your current project."

"Sure but be careful or you'll get your clothes dirty." We went upstairs and went into the master suite. "My God you weren't kidding were you. How long will it take you to put this back together?"

"Doing it part time maybe three weeks, four at the most."

"You replacing everything?"

"Everything except the furniture. Like I said last weekend, I'll do with the furniture I have for now."

"What are you putting down for the floor?"

"The nicest carpet I can find. This is one room I intend to splurge on a little. I have a plumber coming next week to set the bathroom up for a walk in shower, whirlpool tub, fancy double sink etc. etc."

"That sounds really nice."

"I hope so."

"Have you been back in the secret place yet?"

"No, I didn't see any point going in alone." Alice stepped close, put her arms around my neck and kissed me. "Going in the secret place isn't needed for that you know."

"I'm still learning the rules."

"For the most part there are no rules."

"Oh." Alice kissed me again so I grabbed her butt with my hands and pulled her forward then kissed her back.

"I like that but I think we should practice."

"Remember, if we reach perfection we have to do it a lot to stay perfect."

"That's true but I'm not afraid."

"You're a brave and beautiful woman you know."

"Thank you sir. Where did you move your bed?"

"Let me show you my humble temporary digs." We went to my bedroom and didn't come out for quite a while. I finally said, "I hate to seem insensitive but I'm hungry."

"You mean you'd take food over me?"

"I'm going for food and you."

Chapter Eleven

Over lunch Alice asked me what I did so I told her about my life changing events then said, "So here I am, working at Lowe's. I'm using a little of my profits from my last house to remodel this one."

"So you're planning on selling this one once it's done?"

"That was my plan, but now I don't want to. The problem is my income isn't set up for what the taxes and insurance will be on this place. It was my plan to do this three or four more times then retire. I didn't expect to get emotionally attached to a place and have it screw up my plans. What do you do Alice?"

"I work in publishing out of Asheville and Knoxville. How did you come to choose this place?"

I gave her the whole story excluding the bisexual realtor and said, "When I first walked in this place it was in awful shape. I was afraid to walk across the front porch, but once I was inside and standing in the living room, the house talked to me. I know that sounds weird but it did. I almost broke out in a cold sweat. I knew that if I could get it for a right price, I could afford to do what I'm doing. I had to find a way and I did. I haven't regretted my decision for an instant."

"So you're happy with your life then?"

"For the most part yes I am. Don't get me wrong, I'd like more money but we can't always have what we want."

"So the house really talked to you?"

"Yep"

"Does it now?"

"Not in the same way. It wanted me here so it's happy now."

"You are weird you know that?"

"I've heard tell, yes."

"I like you Nate. I guess I like weird guys."

"Good. I like you too Alice. Except, do you have a nickname? Alice sounds too formal to my sensitive ears."

"I don't like Alice either. If you come up with a nick name I like I'll adopt it."

"What's your middle name?"

"Maureen."

"That's easy. Your name is Mo. Short for Maureen."

"I'll take it."

"I just realized, your last name is Kent. You're not married are you?"

"No, not anymore thank god."

"A bad experience I take it."

"Two years of sponging, drinking and lying."

"Has it been a long enough time that it's behind you?"

"Oh yes, it's been five years or so."

"Good."

"I've decided something else too."

"What's that, pray tell?"

"I like making love to you." That made Mo smile more.

"We haven't reached perfection yet though."

"Sad but true. Maybe we should work on that next."

That was pretty much how the weekend went. By Monday I was almost too tired to work. Mo and I had set a tentative date for me going to her place the next weekend. I hadn't been out of town in over a year and it almost scared me.

I worked on the house until midnight every night except Friday night. It was coming along nicely. It wouldn't be long and I would be done with it. I had decided to give Andy a chance and try his hand doing one of the other bedrooms once I was moved back into my suite.

The next weekend I went to Mo's in Asheville. We spent at least a little time looking at furniture, and Mo was getting a feel for my tastes. We ate out almost every meal testing different restaurants each time. It was apparent that Mo had a few bucks to spare.

Over the next several weeks we saw a lot of each other. It was getting pretty serious between us. I was still going to Aggie's at least twice a week sometimes more. I was still kissing her and patting her ass.

One weekend at my house we were talking on the porch and Mo asked me what I thought the house might sell for when it was done. "I'm guessing and planning on something over four hundred thousand. I'll have well over two in it not counting my labor. To reach my goal I'd need to get four seventy five."

"That's a lot of money."

"It sure is, but so much of the house will be new or completely redone and it's an impressive place to say the least." "

'Do you still love it like you did?"

"Very much so yes." We were quiet for a bit then I said, "Before I forget it again, when Grace was here the first time and she saw the things in the library did she mention anything in particular that caught her eye?"

"Curious you should ask that. She mentioned not long ago that when she saw Kent's toy truck she about fainted."

"Then I'll send it home with you. If she doesn't want it you can return it, but I'd like her to have it or anything else she might have seen and wished she had."