The Healer Pt. 04

Story Info
A Coral Blackthorn tale.
17.6k words
4.85
8.9k
8

Part 4 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 09/09/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AfterDusk
AfterDusk
503 Followers

A note from After Dusk:

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine this story would gain popularity. I started it because I was intrigued by the thought of a human and a centaur mating-most of the stories I have read regarding such just don't seem to do the actual mechanics of it justice and I thought I would take a stab to see if I could improve it any. I wrote a vast majority of this before I published any of it and as I know where it is headed I feel slightly nervous that devoted readers might hate me by the time our journey is done...while not all stories end up picture perfect with a neat little bow, I am able to empathize with the amount of emotional distress they can cause (that is why I don't read much anymore and stick to writing, where I can control the outcome). I will throw you a bone though-I had thought of ending this part without giving you the resolution of Coral's decision but I don't wish to be cruel so you will discover whom she chooses as her mate by the end. I don't want to spoil any future plot surprises, but I have taken care to drop bits of foreshadowing the actual conflict in since the beginning (which has yet to appear). Thank you for sticking with me on this journey.

*****

The road is muddy, a sloppy, sinking, thick mud in some places. They walk along the side in the grass where they can but in some places it cannot be helped. Vadim's boots are covered in mud and Coral's dress would be as well if she hadn't been smart about it and tied it up. Their pace is as quick as can be expected in the condition—both of them eager to return home. That night will always be burned into Vadim's memories, as well as Coral's, but she is in a rush to discuss the discovery with the doctor and Vadim is hopeful to see what this new day will bring for them, though part of him dreads it as well.

As they round the bend that would lead them to the stables on the edge of town, Vadim takes her hand, pulling her to the side of the road. Coral comes willingly, a smile on her face as he draws her close, leaning back against a tree. Looking into her eyes he leans down to press his lips to hers, savoring the way she melts into him. When she breaks the kiss, the words slip from his mouth before he realizes it, "Coral, I love you."

Though there should have been a positive response to his words, the adoration in her eyes fades into a deep worry, almost a fear but when she presses her lips back against him once more, his worries are washed away.

Vadim leads her down a less traveled trail, more grass than dirt, that runs parallel though the woods next to the town. As it opens up, the bustling noise of people at work roll over them, the ramp to the castle before them. Coral unties her dress, holding it up as they walk across the muddy street and up the stone ramp. Once through the large wooden doors she takes the basket from him.

He smiles gently at her, his hand reaching up to brush her cheek; with a small smile she turns to head towards the lower level. As Vadim walks up the ramp, the sounds of soft hooves hitting the carpet echo down the corridor. Coral stops, glancing back up to see Quell standing at the top of the ramp, looking down at his Vadim. Her heart immediately sinks and she feels, for the first time, regret for her actions.

"You are too late for supper, brother," Quell says jokingly, though his voice is as flat as ice.

"We were forced to take refuge in Severton, Quell," Vadim replies, stopping in front of his brother, "Lady Coral went directly to the surgery to unpack her herbs."

Quell draws in a deep breath; his face doesn't change, but Coral can sense the despair in his stance, the way his voice cracks slightly when he replies, "I see." When he turns to leave, he sees her standing at the base of the ramp.

She wants to run to him, but he drops his head, turns and leaves. It rips her heart out. Feeling like she can't breathe, she forces herself forward, down the ramp to the dark hallway and through the wooden doors into the surgery.

The doctor is standing at a tall table sorting through stacks of papers; he has almost the entire room picked up and has even rediscovered a human sized desk and chair for his new counterpart. Coral does her best to not let her feelings show, placing the basket and her bag on the table, unpacking the herbs for the doctor.

"You were gone quite a long time, Lady Coral, were you able to find the spearmint?" He asks, hanging up the bundles of herbs to dry.

She pulls some spearmint from the basket, unwrapping the wet cloth around the base, "Aye, I did, but all the way past Severton. If you have some water we can get it to root, then we can cultivate it around here and won't have to go on a quest for more. I also found some peppermint—I think you'll be intrigued by that as well."

The doctor smells the peppermint, putting the sprigs into a cup of water, "Were you...able to try the elixir?"

Knowing there is no point in trying to hide it from the doctor, she comes right out with it, "Yes. I added the spearmint last night and...well, Prince Vadim made me tell him what the elixir was for. After discovering that I was going to try it alone, he insisted on...assisting." She can feel her cheeks burn red. She idly picks at some flowers on the table.

"Did it work as the book said?" Pelium asks curiously, not wanting to press for details but too excited to contain himself.

She exhales, looking up at the doctor, "Ah...yes. Thankfully, my maidenhood is still intact, though I'm not sure how either of us managed restraint. The original mixture elicits an almost savage need to mate, and from the way it felt it is possible that there would be little discerning thought as to whom that mate would be; I believe your fears were correct, in the wrong hands it could be catastrophic."

The excitement fades from his face, his fears confirmed, "Oh dear. That is...dangerous." He hangs a few more bundles, before turning, "Did you say, original mixture? You altered it?"

Coral pulls the vial from her bag and hands it to the doctor; he opens it, drawing in a deep breath, his face confounded, "Oh, that is, well, very pleasant. Kind of mysterious as well.

"I added some peppermint to increase cooling aspect, as it felt almost burning hot the first time and lavender in hopes that it would cut through the severeness of the desire, to add some clarity. It worked better with the additions, though I have thoughts to further refine it, but...well those will have to wait until..." she lets her voice trail off.

"I am most intrigued to hear how well this works with a centaur male," he says idly, glancing to Coral, "not that I mean...perhaps we can get someone to try it for us?"

She thinks on it, "I will ask my handmaid, she is mated to a centaur."

"That sounds like a splendid idea! Perhaps you can chat with her after lunch? I will be gone this afternoon, it is my son's birth day celebration so my wife wants me to assist her with preparing our home. You are welcome to attend, if you wish?" He smiles warmly.

She returns the smile, "Thank you, doctor, but I must head to town to see the baker. I gathered some extra spearmint for her as a surprise."

Coral welcomes the distraction of emptying her medicine case and combining her herbs with the cabinet full of them. Not needing the vast quantity carried around anymore, she divides the medicines choosing to keep smaller vials of each in the case, which allows her to also add some from the cabinet that she was missing, as well as several other tools and bandages so that it is prepared should she need to take it elsewhere. For some of the herbs that the doctor isn't familiar with, she takes care to explain it to him, offering the suggested uses and some unconventional ones as well. When she reaches the bottom, she finds a small box that Piers had thrown in there; it contains seeds for almost all of the plants she brought with her. Pelium actually laughs with glee at the idea of cultivating the herbs in the castle, explaining to her that there is a room made of glass in the upper east wing of the castle, in which doctors of the past used to do the same thing. It is mostly over grown now, with a few haphazard flowers thrown in for good measure. They decide the best time to accomplish this would be the following spring, as the Atonement happened at the beginning of fall it would soon be winter which would make starting the plants even harder.

He pulls the herb book down from the shelf, "I think it would be most beneficial for you to go through this. I've penned in the common names for the plants I know, but I'm afraid that there are many I do not. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some that we use today that are not in the book, perhaps you could add them?"

Taking the book and clutching it to her chest, she says, "It would be an honor. I will do my best."

He smiles, slipping his jacket back on, "I really do enjoy working alongside you, Lady Coral. I shall see you tomorrow."

Coral, with her almost empty bag, the book and a quill, follows him out of the surgery. She discovers that Reid is waiting for her. The doctor nods at the centaur, continuing onward. She looks up at his familiar face, wondering if he is there to fetch her, "Is something the matter, Reid?"

"Nay," he says, walking slowly next to her, "I'm on escort duty today."

"Oh, I see," Coral says, tucking the book and quill into her bag, the cloth wrapped bundle of spearmint cradled in her hands. When they walk up the ramp near the entrance, Vadim heads towards them almost as if he was waiting.

"Good day, Lady Coral, do you have plans for lunch?" His easy smile rests on his luscious lips, eyes almost twinkling with the secret of their shared night together.

"I actually am headed back into town for a bit," she says. Hesitantly, she adds, "I saw Quell with you earlier. He seemed...upset."

Vadim glances at Reid; the centaur takes a hint and walks several steps away to give them some privacy. "He knows. About what transpired between us," he speaks quietly. "He could...smell you. On me."

Coral's heart sinks. She feels herself stuck, needing to make an impossible decision.

"Shall I escort you to town?" Vadim's voice asks gently.

She looks up at him, seeing the hope in his eyes, "No, thank you Prince. I need...I need some time to think.

"Very well, my lady," he says, boldly leaning forward to kiss her softly on the cheek. Giving her one last, lingering look, he turns and heads up the ramp.

Coral watches him disappear, feeling like she is stuck in mud. She turns and leaves the castle, Reid silently following by her side. Her hands begin to tremble, her knees grow weak, her head dizzy—she veers from the path to town to a large tree near the entrance of the castle; dropping her bag and the spearmint, she sinks down in the thick grass, drawing her knees up to her chest to rest her head on them so that she doesn't pass out.

Buried in the darkness of her body, tears start to fall from her eyes. Her heart feels like it was torn from her chest; panic starts to well up inside of her and her breathing becomes quick and shallow. Hearing Reid sit beside her, she wraps her arms around her knees to seek privacy in her own despair.

"You do not have many friends, do you Lady Coral?" His quiet voice creeps into her solitude.

She huffs bitterly, "Why? Because I am a horrible person?" She meant it as sarcasm though she feels it is the truth. His hearty chuckle causes her head to snap to the side, aghast, tear covered face looking at him.

He sees her sorrow and cuts his laughter, "No, Lady Coral, you are not a horrible person. In fact, you are perhaps the most kind, compassionate, loving human I have ever met—though it is your greatest feature, it most likely will be your downfall as well."

His words offer no comfort to her—she returns her face to her knees, tears stinging her eyes, "Tobias was right—I am a trollop—perhaps all women are. The slightest bit of acknowledgement from a man and I spread my legs like a harlot."

Reid sighs, "I have traveled with King Rainer through the human towns for two Atonements now, Lady Coral, and while I am versed in human customs I have still yet to discern why they are how they are. It makes no sense to me that human men are expected to fornicate and become familiar with women, yet maidens are kept in ignorance lest their virtue be put into question. If a man is not a virgin when he marries, it is not frowned upon—why is that?"

As she ponders the question, her tears stop falling, "I—I do not know."

"But if a woman has familiarity with men before marriage, she is viewed as a whore, yes?"

"Yes," Coral spits out, confirming his assumption, realizing she now is included in that category.

"This is not how we view it, Coral."

She dares to glance at him, her swollen eyes still stinging with her pain and her face wet with tears.

He looks down upon the woman with pity at her suffering, but feels that it is misguided, "Centaurs are very sexual creatures," he smirks slightly, "and we explore this with others from a young age. I doubt any would confess as much but as you are an outlander and caught up in a confusing situation within our culture, I will bite the arrow and explain it to you. It is expected that centaurs know how to please their mate before hand, both male and female. Think of it like this—if you were to wander into a dark library in search of a specific book, you would no doubt spend countless hours fumbling around with little success. However, if you had visited the library many times before during the day, your experience would allow you to locate the book with ease. What you have done with the Princes is merely this and is nothing more than they themselves have done with others, or what any other centaur has done before claiming their mate."

Struggling to grasp this knowledge as it is the opposite of how she was told to view her old life, she says, "But, my virtue—"

"Your virtue is not in question. Virtue is gained through actions and behavior towards others, how you exemplify your ethos, pathos and logos—all of which was defined before the Atonement, a direct result of your upbringing and exposure to your limited world. That is not something that can be gained or lost as a result of a hearty sexual curiosity. How you treat and apply your new found knowledge will still be within your established virtue—I seriously doubt you are one to toy with a man unless he is worthy of your affections."

She looks over the thick centaur, surprised by his honesty and boldness in coming to her aid when she is emotionally distressed. Coral discovers that she finally understands Marcus' statement to her—they aren't the savages, we are. While her curiosity towards the opposite sex, her exploration with both Quell and Vadim would earn her disgrace in her old home, here it is seen as common place; she queries "Why, then, is there such emphasis placed on being a maiden?"

He smirks at her, "Aye, it is true that maidens are prized—though so are virgin males—yet for a young man or woman to have lost such is not a deal breaker but more a disappointment. Maintaining one's chastity before claiming a mate isn't viewed as a source of purity by centaurs, but more as a proof of strong character; to have been tempted so many times before but constantly exhibited restraint shows that one is steadfast and determined, not to be derailed before reaching their ultimate goal. Most centaurs cease playing so freely with others when they are ready to find their love but one can hardly blame you for your curiosity since it is something that has been denied until now. Though I caution you—I have been friends with both Prince Quell and Prince Vadim since I was a foal, so while I have seen them idly play with women before, this is not what they do now; they are both serious in their endeavors to gain your favor permanently and it would be in your best interest to choose quickly before a prolonged courting damages their relationship with one another."

Though her head still spins with the dramatic differences of this new culture, she manages to regain a hold on her panic and tamps out the feeling that she will faint. She pushes herself up to her feet, gathering her things and waiting for her companion to also rise before starting towards the baker's. "Do you have a mate, Reid?" Coral asks softly.

"Aye, we've been together for five years now. She is with child," as he says the words, his voice rings almost proudly, a smile on his lips.

"How did you meet?" She asks, curious.

"I saw her watching me from the garment shop, one day. And again the next day, when I made it a point to walk by a second time. She was so beautiful and the way I felt when our eyes locked, it was like I couldn't breathe when I was away from her. I knew I wanted her to be my mate, so I came round yet again but she was hugging a male and I thought that my guts had been ripped out."

Looking at him, "What? How did you finally meet her?"

"I went home. I thought for sure that we were meant to be but oh, how it hurt so much to know that she was someone else's. I don't know why I went back to the shop—perhaps to punish myself. She said hello to me and we started talking. The centaur she was with the day before," Reid looks a little sheepishly, "was her nephew. I was so relieved when I found that out, I immediately told her that I wanted to be her mate. We got to know each other a little more and it was maybe a week before we consummated our union." Reid looks down at her, "Centaurs rarely wait that long. When you know, you know."

Looking up at him, she sighs, "How...how do I choose? It is impossible—I know whatever choice I make, someone will get hurt. Part of me will too."

They walk in silence for a moment, coming up to the baker's. He quietly says to her, "Try to imagine living a life without one of them. Whichever one makes you feel like your soul will die if they are not around..."

Coral nods, her heart aching. She stops, taking a deep breath to calm her nerves and time to wipe her face free of any remaining tears. Glancing to Reid, she offers him a small smile as thanks for his compassion before he opens the door for her and she enters.

"Lady Coral!" Tillie says excitedly, "I am glad to see you again. Did you find what you were looking for in Severton?"

Coral forces a smile to her lips, holding out the cloth bundle, "Aye, and I brought you some as well."

Almost giddy, Tillie takes the bundle; unwrapping it, she inhales deeply, "Oh so fresh! It has been too long. I will make up a batch of my small cakes with mint frosting and have them brought to you at the castle as soon as I am finished!"

She smiles at the woman, "That is very kind of you, Tillie, thank you."

Taking her leave, she joins Reid as they head back to the castle.

"You said you have known the brothers since you were young?" She asks, curious.

"All my life," he replies, "my father fought alongside King Rainer in the Battle. When he didn't return, the King looked after my mother and I. I grew up alongside Prince Vadim and later with Quell."

There are many questions she wants to ask, but doesn't know how; she wants to know about both of the Princes, what they were like growing up, if there are any horrible dark secrets they keep that she could use to help her decide her fate, but instead, she remains silent.

Reid, almost sensing her hesitation, continues, "The maidens, both human and centaur, were always infatuated with Vadim. He is a handsome man, eloquent, charming and easy to be around. While he played with the young women as we all do, I could always tell his heart was not in it. None of them held his attention. Not like you." He sighs, "With Quell, it was a little different. He was more like a centaur, a stubborn brute, strong and ornery and while women find him handsome, he was not an easy colt to get along with, always causing trouble and behaving poorly. He can still be rather blunt and he speaks his mind, much like his father. They share the same frown."

AfterDusk
AfterDusk
503 Followers