The Healing Game

Story Info
An athlete gets injured and his life is changed in many ways.
27.3k words
4.86
35.8k
97
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
demon160
demon160
499 Followers

Authors Note: This story is set in Australia and involves sportspeople who play cricket. The reader does not have to know about the game of cricket to follow the story. It just happens to be the sport in Australia at present where both male and female professionals can earn a full time living.

Thank you very much to eclecticwoman818 for her editing and constant encouragement with my stories.

*****

2nd February 2018- Adelaide Oval, Australia

The sound of the bat hitting the leather ball reverberated throughout the stadium. The free flowing swing of the willow had sent the cricket ball scorching across the outfield, piercing the gap between the two fielders patrolling the boundary. The ball thudded into the advertising hoardings and the packed house cheered with delight.

Matt Larkham moved down the pitch and flicked an errant piece of grass away. His captain Simon Buford was the other batsman out there with him. They had a brief word together, before Matt returned to face the next ball. At the rate they were travelling it looked like the Australian team would win this final game of the home season quickly. Matt had already scored 42 runs and was looking in imperious touch.

***********

Even to the casual observer it was clear to see that Matt Larkham's career was going from strength to strength. The 28 year old was in his third season with the Australian team and it had been a breakout one for Matt. He had a slightly shaky hold on his position in the team at the end of the previous Australian summer. However Matt gained maturity playing in the IPL for Delhi, and in county cricket for Hampshire during the off season. He successfully transferred this across to his form for Australia.

Matt had the kind of natural talent for the game that cannot be taught. He always seemed to be one step ahead of the action. When he batted, he appeared to have so much time to react to what was being bowled to him that he could play any number of shots to each particular ball. His natural talent has never been in question.

His progression through the various levels of the sport to reach the Australian team seemed preordained. Matt was a good if not outstanding under-age player. His talents really came to notice upon reaching state level competition and first class cricket, before making the Australian team at 26. Once there he began a little slowly, mostly due to his making mistakes through over confidence. However as Matt gained experience, he was making fewer mistakes in his game.

While Matt was undoubtedly talented on the field, off the field things were also looking good. He was 5'10" tall, dark hair which was always immaculately styled, blue eyes and naturally fit. He wasn't hugely muscular like some of his team mates but was fit enough for his role in the team.

With his prodigious talent and 'boy next door' good looks, Matt was in high demand for endorsements and he represented a number of companies. He also had the obligatory celebrity girlfriend. He was going out with high profile actress Alannah Devery, from the popular soap opera 'Lives and Loves'. She was 26 years old, tall, blonde, brown eyes. She too was very popular, with tens of thousands of Instagram followers all seemingly glued to every detail of her life. They had met at a movie premiere in Sydney and had been going out for about 4 months. They were always being seen out at the right places and with the right people. They were seemingly made for each other.

With the progress Matt was showing in his game, he could become not just a reliable player, but possibly one of the great players Australia has produced.

*********

Taking strike to the next ball, Matt knew as soon as the ball left the bowlers hand that he was going to be able to smash it through the on side. He cleared his front leg and began to swing. The ball then began to dip in flight and in that split second Matt knew he was going to miss it, but he was committed to the shot.

His swing of the bat kept going, as the spikes on the boot of his back foot dug into the turf. His back foot should have pivoted with the swing, but it couldn't, as his boot was gripping firmly into the ground. The momentum of the swing kept going and his left leg pivoted at his knee. The sound of his ACL rupturing could be heard by the players close by. The distinct 'popping' sound was then accompanied by a loud groan from Matt, as the pain of the injury rushed through his body.

His boot finally released from the turf and Matt fell to the ground, writhing in agony from the pain. Opposition players and his batting partner came rushing over to help him. The Australian team physio and doctor came rushing out onto the field. Matt was clutching his left leg, the pain greater than he had felt before. He immediately knew the injury was serious and when the doctor got to him he was immediately diagnosed with a ligament rupture.

Matt was taken off the field in the Medi-Cart, to go straight to the hospital...

***********

Matt caught the elevator down from his 19th floor luxury apartment in Milsons Point, Sydney. He hobbled out of the elevator and across to his Porsche 911. As he struggled lowering himself into the low line sports car, taking care not to bump his still tender left knee, he smiled to himself. Matt felt thankful that he had gotten the paddle shift gearbox version of the car and not the regular manual transmission.

It had been six weeks since he had injured his knee and he was keen to start getting his knee back to working order. Matt was heading out the short distance to Chatswood to see his Physiotherapist for the first time. Progress with his injury after his surgery had been slowed due to a post-operative infection that took a while to clear up. He knew the process would be long and apparently painful, but he had been told the physio he was going to see was the best around. They had been recommended to him by Cricket Australia, and many other sporting teams also used this practice.

************

Jenna Murphy sat in her office and looked down her list of appointments for the day. She was the head Physiotherapist and part owner of the practice. She was 28 years old, 5'6" tall, long brunette hair, with some lighter highlights, that reached her shoulder blades. While still quite shapely, Jenna was very athletically fit.

Jenna too was an elite sportsperson. She played cricket for the NSW Breakers and Sydney Sixers, the same franchise that Matt played for when his international commitments allowed. While she hadn't reached playing for Australia yet, Jenna was part of the wave of female cricketers who were now professional or semi-professional and could make a living playing their chosen sport. Jenna had begun playing in her home state of Queensland, reaching the state team there when she was 21. She still enjoyed playing at a high level, and really liked her work.

It was her work which had brought her to Sydney two years earlier. A colleague she went to University with had taken over a practice and asked if she wanted to join. Jenna jumped at the opportunity and moved down. She soon received an invitation to train for the NSW team, eventually forced her way into the side. Even though the NSW team was filled with players who played for Australia, she fitted into the team and performed very well. Her teammates all noted her positive work ethic, and the very hard work she put into her sport to play the best she could.

Perusing the list she saw Matt Larkham's name. Jenna knew of his injury and the difficulties he had experienced afterwards from the notes she had received. She was also a little wary about Matt wondering if he was as arrogant as he seemed to be when she had met him previously. He didn't even speak to her at a photoshoot and press conference with the Sixers at the beginning of last season...

*********

Matt hobbled his way out of his car and into the reception area. After a few moments he was shown to the treatment room where Jenna was waiting for him. She was dressed in her dark green polo shirt with the practice emblem on the left side, black pants and black shoes. Her hair was back in a ponytail.

As they greeted each other Matt shook her hand. "Nice to meet you Jenna." He said quietly, barely looking at her.

"Nice to meet you too Matt" Jenna replied with a smile, realising he didn't recognise her. She didn't want to make a big deal out of this so she didn't mention that they had met before.

Their first appointment was to assess the movement available in Matt's injured knee, as compared with his good leg. Jenna would then custom design his rehab program to best get him fully functioning and back on the field again.

As Jenna did her assessments, she and Matt made a little small talk mostly about his injury. Matt, as was his way, was a little guarded with his answers. Jenna could barely get more than two words out of Matt. She felt that he was almost going out of his way to not speak to her.

"I'm not going to sugar coat this Matt. The process to get your knee back to functioning properly is going to be painful. You are going to have to learn how to use your knee again. Building the strength and flexibility will take time as well. Usually it is a 10-12 month program."

Matt thought Jenna was being a bit serious, so he decided to make a little joke, just to lighten the mood.

"Oh that's no problem. I will be finished in 9. I heal pretty quick you know." Matt said.

He immediately regretted saying this as Jenna just looked at him, not even cracking a smile.

They went through to the gym and pool area. It was here where Matt would spend most of his time, exercising to get the strength and flexibility back to his knee. Jenna introduced him to Exercise Physiologist Adam Cowans, who would be Matt's trainer throughout his rehab process. She watched for a while as Adam started Matt's training program, before going to see another patient.

As Jenna left she caught Adam and whispered to him "Good luck with this one."

She walked off and shook her head. "I'll be finished in 9 months! Can he get any more arrogant?" Jenna thought as she walked away.

************

Over the next few weeks Matt did his exercise program at the Physio Centre gym as best as he thought he could, believing he was following the guidelines his trainer had set out for him. He did tend to get distracted at the gym though, with his phone being a source of interruption. As he followed Alannah's Instagram feed there seemed to be always something popping up grabbing his attention. Matt felt that he was doing enough at the gym, so he didn't do the further exercises he was recommended to do at home.

Jenna had also noticed Matt was distracted when working out. She saw that he was doing only the bare minimum required. He barely spoke to anyone in the centre and isolated himself with headphones while he exercised.

After about three weeks of rehab, Matt noticed that Alannah's posts on Instagram were now showing more of one of her co-stars. This actor, Marcos, was a handsome man, but an equally dubious actor as Alannah. Matt had met him a couple of times at various parties and found him to be quite shallow and vain.

That afternoon Matt waited at home for Alannah to come over after she had finished shooting for the day. He hadn't seen her for a few days. It was about 3pm when she came in talking excitedly about her day.

"Matt, are you coming out with me tonight? There is a big party at 'The Ivy' and I really want to go? Please?" Alannah asked almost pleading with him.

"Alannah you know I can't go. I can't stand up for that long a time, as my knee won't hold out. It is sore enough from rehab as it is."

Alannah's mood changed immediately and she got very angry with him.

"You never want to go out with me anymore. It's always about 'your knee'. What about me and my career? I need to be out at these parties keeping my name out there. Can't you see Matt; it isn't all about you and your precious little injury." She sneered.

"Precious little injury! I had major surgery to reconstruct my knee. ... You are so shallow, so up yourself... Go to the party and take your boyfriend 'Marcos' along with you." He shouted, losing his temper.

Alannah started to open and close her mouth, but nothing was coming out.

"You heard what I said. I have seen your posts on Instagram. Go to your party with him and schmooze around with all of the other shallow people that will be there. That is where you and Marcos should be." He shouted.

His anger at realising how little she thought of him was fully on display. Matt hobbled over and picked her keys up from the hall table, taking the key and pass card to his apartment off her keyring.

"You should go now Alannah."

As she walked past Matt she had a smarmy look on her face. It was like she wanted to be caught, so they would break up.

"Good bye Alannah." Matt said as he held the front door open for her to leave and gave her keys back. She didn't look at all sad by what had happened.

As she got to the lift and pressed the button Matt said "Oh and by the way, YOU CAN'T ACT." With that he shut the door.

Matt sat down on his lounge and was shaking with rage. He wasn't heartbroken, as he didn't love Alannah. He was just so fired up about how little she thought of him, to openly mock his injury and the physical struggles he was going through in rehab. He felt used and betrayed. He was also shaking from the actual confrontation, as that was something he did not like.

The worst part was that Matt felt foolish and annoyed. Annoyed to have gone out for so long with her and only now just realising how she used him to improve her profile. While they did have some fun times, they weren't emotionally close. Matt thought about their relationship and even when they were physically together, while the sex was good, there wasn't any feelings attached. It was just something they did and it didn't seem to have any meaning to it. Well it didn't have the connection and feelings Matt wanted to have in a relationship.

"Firstly I get injured and lose my sport. Now I have lost my girlfriend. Can my life get any worse?" Matt mused to himself.

***********

Two days later he headed back to the Physio, where he was due for another exercise session and as he had been working out for a month, he was to do an assessment to see how his injury was progressing. Matt thought he must have been making a bit of progress, as his knee was aching a lot.

His workout with Adam went smoothly, but Matt was still a bit detached mentally as the events of the previous couple of days were still fresh in his memory. He finished his workout and did his pool work, before having a shower. He then went and met with Jenna again in the treatment room. She proceeded to move and flex his knee, taking measurements of everything the knee could or couldn't do. Matt groaned a few times as she really put his knee through a thorough test. She took down notes on her iPad of everything she did.

Matt's knee was aching after the testing, so Jenna suggested that he get an ice pack from the fridge before meeting in her office. Matt hobbled out, got the ice pack and proceeded to her office.

Jenna was sitting behind her desk and she looked up at him as he entered. Her office was functional, with her desk, chairs for her clients, bookshelf with many volumes and her degrees and professional certificates on the wall. There was one thing on the wall that stood out to Matt though. It was a framed Sydney Sixer's Women's Team jersey. It was autographed too.

"I see you are a fan of the Sixers then." Matt said, innocently enough he thought.

The look on Jenna's face changed. Her eyes narrowed and Matt could immediately feel the anger coming from her.

"No Matt that is MY jersey! From when we won the final this year, when I scored 43 not out and was on the field when Amber hit the winning runs ... I actually MET you at the beginning of last season, at a photoshoot and press conference for the Sixers..."

Matt felt so low. He genuinely hadn't realised Jenna was a cricketer too. Worse still he hadn't remembered meeting her.

Jenna continued seemingly even angrier "Your arrogance is unbelievable... And it shows in the progress with your injury. Have you been doing any exercises outside of here?"

"No... But.."

"NO IS RIGHT. I can tell by these results. At the rate you are progressing you will probably be able to walk properly next January, and possibly get back to playing by the end of NEXT year, if at all. Do you really want to play again?"

"Yes I do..." Matt replied feebly.

"Well then you are going to have to work hard to get there. It's not like when you are playing, where you can rely on your 'natural talent'. I bet that you are one of those players that only do the bare minimum at training. You don't do anything extra, no extra gym sessions or practice. You probably don't even do any extra running or fitness. You just turn up and hit the ball. No coach would dare tell you off, as they rely on your talent to help the team. Am I right?"

"Umm... well..." Matt mumbled.

"THIS ISN'T LIKE THAT!! You have to work and work hard. The more work and the better of quality work you do now can greatly improve your recovery time. If you are serious about getting back to playing you need to do something you haven't done before. Actually WORK HARD. If you want to do the work we can help... If not, you are wasting the time of my team here and me. Is that clear?"

"Yes Jenna."

"Now if you will excuse me Matt I have other clients to see." Jenna said as she stood up and opened the door for Matt to leave.

He hobbled out of the office, avoiding making eye contact with her. Matt left the centre feeling chastised. He clambered gingerly down into the Porsche and drove off.

Jenna closed the door to her office and leant against it. Her heart was racing. She had never told off a client before and she was taken aback by how angry she got at Matt. He was so arrogant, totally in his own world. He didn't realise who she was, or the common ground they shared as elite cricketers. Worst of all he wasn't doing anything to improve his chances in recovery. She felt so mad at how little he was doing to help himself.

Moving away from the door Jenna sat behind her desk and entered the rest of Matt's information into her computer. As she typed away she began to feel a little remorse. Mostly at the way she had lost her cool. She needed Matt to work harder, but she was afraid that after her tirade she might just have lost him as a client.

**************

As Matt drove back towards home his mind raced. He was initially embarrassed that he hadn't recognised Jenna, and that he couldn't remember meeting her before. But this embarrassment quickly changed to anger. How dare she say that he wasn't working hard? He was trying his best and yes, while he wasn't doing anything extra outside of the centre, he was working hard while he was there. His knee was really sore.

Jenna's comments really hit Matt hard. He felt he did train hard, and had done so for all of the teams he had played for. He was so lost in his own thoughts he had driven down the motorway past the exit that led to his apartment and was now in the Harbour Tunnel going across to the city. Matt decided he would follow the road, turn around near the Sydney Cricket Ground and head back home.

Still furious with what she had said Matt drove past his favourite ground in the world. He trained here, played here and still got a thrill every time he came here. It was the ground he had always wanted to play on as a kid, and now as an adult, it was his home ground.

Driving past the ground Matt noticed a group of 5 players in their NSW training kits running through the parklands at the front of the ground. He recognised them as younger members of the squad, who played in the NSW second team.

demon160
demon160
499 Followers
123456...8