The Home & Family Pt. 04

Story Info
Luke & Dakota lay the floor.
8.3k words
4.82
47.9k
9

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 07/06/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JewelTran
JewelTran
335 Followers

On Saturday morning, Luke drove out to see James. Sarah Hytree had been invited to spend a couple of nights at James' house in order to get to know his family. Luke really enjoyed meeting Sarah and watching James around her. Even though they had only been together for a week, it was fun to see Sarah kidding James as though they had never been separated. Luke was really happy for his friend, but at quiet moments, when the kids were playing by themselves and didn't need "Uncle" Luke, Luke felt the emptiness in his own life. Dakota belonged there. By the end of the evening, Luke was more determined than ever to make Dakota see reason.

Before Luke left on Saturday night, Sarah asked Luke to come to her house on Monday. Glad to have the opportunity to get to know her better, Luke accepted her invitation.

Luke wasn't even out of bed yet on Sunday morning when his phone began ringing. Ms. Lily from the Children's Home wanted to remind Luke that they had an appointment in a few hours. He had promised to meet the little boy that she had told him about, and she didn't want Luke to forget. Luke hadn't forgotten, but he had been thinking about begging off of the visit. He didn't feel like dealing with some emotional kid right now. But when Ms. Lily asked for a favor, it wasn't really an option to say no. So Luke assured her that he had not forgotten, then dragged himself out of bed and threw his body into the shower.

Two hours later, Luke was making his way to the Home. When his truck turned into the long driveway, his stomach clinched. Luke thought back over all of the times he had come down this dirt path and realized that every single instance had caused that same reaction in him. He wondered if he would ever not associate that turn off the main road with the ominous feeling of abandonment.

When Luke's truck stopped in front of the main building, Saul O'Connor was just leaving. Luke greeted him, saying, "What are you doing out here? Like I don't know!"

Saul had been Ms. Lily's beau for longer than anyone could remember, and Luke would have been shocked had he not been out visiting Ms. Lily on Sunday afternoon. Saul looked happier than usual, though. Luke said, "You look like the cat that swallowed the canary. What's up with you?"

Saul beamed even brighter. His voice was hushed with excitement, and filled with what sounded somewhat like awe. "Luke," he said, "She finally said yes. Ms. Lily has agreed to marry me!"

Luke's eyes couldn't have gotten any bigger. "Are you kidding me? She's going to marry you?"

It was amazing to watch the older man's cheeks turn pink. "I've been asking her for years, but this Home was always on shaky ground. Now that the auction has set it on the right course, she has agreed to have me."

Luke's ears perked up, "Did you say that the auction made enough money to really make a difference?"

The older man continued smiling broadly, "Sure did, son. Along with your highest bid, a couple of companies heard about the whole deal and donated enough to really turn the corner. Ms. Lily has endowment funds created now to ensure the security of the Home, even after she decides to slow down. Who knows," he added with a meaningful wink, "Maybe hitching up with me is her idea of slowing down!"

Laughing out loud, Luke clapped Saul on the shoulder and said, "Well, congratulations, my man. Now, if I don't get myself in there, Ms. Lily's libel to come out here and skin us both."

With that, Luke turned and went into the Home. The front door opened into a small foyer with three rooms branching off of it. Luke well knew what all three of those rooms were used for.

The first room, on the right, was a large TV room where the kids could hang out and watch TV after supper - provided that they could prove that their homework was finished.

The room straight in front of the door was the dining room. That room held tables to seat the 40 residents along with all of the dorm parents and staff. The rule was that everyone sat down to eat together. Ms. Lily prided herself on the concept that family time still mattered, even if the group involved was a rather strange, motley form of family.

The door to the left of the front door was the entrance to Ms. Lily's personal office. That door was open and Ms. Lily was standing in it, with her hands on her hips.

"Well, I was wondering when you would get in here! The boy's waiting."

Luke shook his head at the woman's retreating backside. So much for thinking she might be emotionally carried away about having just gotten engaged. He sure hoped Saul knew how to handle his new workaholic fiancee. But for right now, Luke needed to catch up with Ms. Lily and make sure that he didn't end up on her bad side.

Ms. Lily led the way into a small conference room at the back of her office. When she reached the entrance, she waited for Luke to open the door for her. She had taught her boys manners, and she always insisted that they practice them at all times. When Luke had satisfactorily shown that he hadn't forgotten his lessons, she entered the room and sat down at the round conference table.

When Luke followed her in, he realized that she had strategically removed all of the extra chairs from the room. He was forced to sit down between Ms. Lily and the small child who was already seated. Although Luke's eyes had taken in the fact that the boy was there, Luke found that he really didn't want to look at the boy. He wondered what was going on - he had never had any problem before dealing with younger kids. When he had lived at the Home, he had often helped them adjust to their new lives and, now, as a social worker, he spent his time finding ways to help kids adjust to life in general. But, for some reason, Luke was having to force himself to greet this child.

As Luke turned his head and first made eye contact with the child, he knew what his heart had been trying to protect him from. The child couldn't have looked anymore like Luke if he had been his own son. Words seemed to fail Luke as he looked into the child's face. The boy's blue eyes were fringed in long brown lashes. His hair was the same chocolate shade of Luke's and it had the same soft curls.

As Luke sat there in complete shock, he simple couldn't think of any words to say to the child - all he had were questions. Luke didn't realize that his face had taken on a colorless pallor until Ms. Lily laid her hand on his arm and said, "Luke, are you alright?"

Luke looked at her with all of his feelings showing in his eyes. Ms. Lily patted his arm reassuringly. She said, "When I saw Lazeras, I thought his name was rather apt. He looks like a little boy I used to know, come back to life. But he's not that little boy, Luke. Lazeras is a that little boy's cousin."

"Luke," Ms. Lily continued, "Lazeras was born to a child that your grandfather had after you were born. He apparently left your grandmother and married again after your mother died. His daughter, by that marriage, was an unwed mother who died during childbirth. There was an on-going custody battle for a few years before the father was put in prison for life over his part in a local murder. Lazeras was put into the foster system until he could be placed with another relative. Now, the rest of the family has either died or has claimed to not have room for Lazeras. He needs you, Luke."

It would have made Luke a lot more comfortable if Lazeras hadn't heard all that Ms. Lily had just told him. Rules had changed since he was a child and had not been allowed to know anything about his own family. Apparently Lazeras was up to date on his own personal history. But Ms. Lily was smarter than people sometimes realized and Luke knew she had rehashed Lazeras' story on purpose. It would be impossible for Luke to turn his back on a child, especially a child who was related to him. Even more so because the child was in practically the same situation he had been in growing up. Luke took several deep breaths, then turned back to face the little boy.

"Lazeras, it looks like we're cousins," Luke said, still trying to figure out what to do. Without warning, the little boy slid out of his chair and climbed up into Luke's lap.

"I knew you would come for me someday," the boy whispered.

Luke's heart twisted in his chest. Lazeras thought that Luke had come to take him home. He thought that Luke was going to be his family. That thought chilled Luke to the bone. Then a quiet voice inside his head asked, "Why not?" Luke began mentally making pros and cons lists.

With his arms wrapped around the child, Luke began automatically rocking him back and forth as he thought. Luke lost track of time as the thoughts swirled through his brain. When he heard quiet snores coming from Lazeras, Luke realized that the boy had fallen asleep. Luke turned to ask Ms. Lily what to do, but discovered that the lady had managed to slip out of the room while Luke had been focused on Lazeras. Luke realized that she wasn't going to make this any easier on him.

It was about 30 minutes before Lazeras stirred. Luke had continued to hold him and rock him the whole time. When Lazeras opened his eyes, he stared solemnly at Luke, then threw his arms around Luke's neck. Luke held him tightly, trying to think of how to say what he needed to say.

"Lazeras? Laz? We need to talk," Luke said finally.

At first, Lazeras wouldn't face Luke, but Luke waited until the boy finally pulled back enough to look Luke in the eye.

"That's better. I need to make sure that you understand what all I am saying. Lazeras, I didn't know that you were here. Ms. Lily apparently only figured out that we were cousins a few days ago. But she didn't tell me then. She wanted me to meet you. I grew up here in the Home, too. So I know what it's like for you. Lazeras, I want to be a part of your life, but I gotta take this slow. Why don't you come home with me today and see if you like my place. Then we can spend the rest of the afternoon together and I'll bring you back here tonight so you can go to school tomorrow. Let's spend a few days getting to know each other, ok?"

Lazeras seemed to weigh Luke's suggestion. A smile finally broke across his little face as he said, "Ok, but can we go get some real ice cream? You know, the kind in a cone?"

Luke laughed out loud. "Sure, we can put that on this afternoon's agenda."

"What's an agin - agin - agindera?" Lazeras asked.

Again Luke found himself laughing. "An agenda. It's our schedule of what we want to do this afternoon - the list of fun stuff we gotta work into today."

Lazeras smiled and snuggled back into Luke's chest. "I like having an agenda with you," Lazeras whispered, carefully forming each word.

Without bothering to pull him away, Luke stood up and carried Lazeras back out into Ms. Lily's office. He wasn't surprised to find the older lady working hard at her desk, even though it was Sunday afternoon.

"Lazeras and I are going out for awhile. Do I need to sign him out or anything?" Luke asked.

Ms. Lily smiled and said, "I have the forms all filled out, you just need to sign them."

Luke wasn't too surprised as he shook his head and shifted Lazeras to his hip. Luke managed to grab the pen and sign his name without sitting Lazeras down. After he finished, Luke nodded at Ms. Lily and headed for the door.

"Don't forget, Luke, he needs to be home by 7:30, for bath and bed time," Ms. Lily called to Luke's retreating back.

Luke settled Lazeras into his truck and the two of them headed out on their adventure. For Lazeras, it was exciting to be out of the Home with an adult who really seemed to want to be with him. For Luke, it was like seeing himself as a boy, only this time, the child had a chance to not always be alone. And Luke was that chance.

After an afternoon filled with ice cream, a visit to the park, a drive out to a hidden lake for a picnic supper and then back home for a quick cartoon, the evening came to an end. Luke carried Lazeras back into the Children's Home with only minutes to spare before Ms. Lily's imposed curfew. Luke checked in with the Dorm Dad, so he would know that Lazeras was home, then he whispered good-bye to the little boy. Lazeras kept his arms wrapped tightly around Luke's neck until the last possible moment, then gave Luke a sloppy kiss on the check before running down the hall to the bedroom he shared with three other boys.

Luke stood on the porch of the dorm house, staring after Lazeras. When he could no longer see the boy, he turned and headed back to the main building. He met Ms. Lily in the foyer.

"How was your afternoon?" the older lady asked innocently.

Luke had known Ms. Lily long enough to know when she was acting and this was definitely one of those times. "Like you don't know," was all he said.

Ms. Lily made a noise that sounded a lot like a snicker. Luke looked at her with what he hoped was a frown of disapproval, but at the look on her face, he laughed out loud. "You scheming little old lady! You knew I wouldn't be able to turn him down, didn't you?"

The look on Ms. Lily's face changed from smug to concerned. She said, "Luke, I was hoping you could see what I see in Lazeras. He needs a family, and unlike your childhood situation, he has one - he has you. I don't want to pressure you into adopting the boy, but he needs to have contact with you. I know that you aren't a married man, but the boy needs to at least know you. Don't forget about Lazeras, Luke."

During the afternoon, it had surprised Luke how many times he had wanted to share Lazeras with Dakota. He had thought of her so often and wished that she was there with him and Lazeras. He wasn't sure how to manage either one of these new relationships, but he knew that there had to be some way to make them work together and to make all three of their lives better.

Chapter Fifteen

On Monday morning, it took Luke almost an hour to drive to the reservation and finally find Sarah. Sarah lived in a small brick home with three smaller buildings scattered throughout her backyard. Each building held a different medium of art. Sarah had told Luke that she would be working out back all day. So when he arrived, he went around back and began looking for her.

When she heard Luke, Sarah came out to greet him. She took him around her craft huts and showed him what she used them for. One held a potter's wheel and small kiln. Another had all of her woodworking materials and machines. The third held all of her beads and fabric crafts. It was in the third building that Sarah was working.

Sarah Hytree was a beautiful woman. Although she was 41 years old, her hair was still black as a raven and hung below her waist. She wore it in long braids. Today, like the last time Luke had seen her, her tall, full figured body was dressed in jeans and a fringed leather top. The feathers and turquoise that would have made most people look like Native American wannabes, only made Sarah look more authentic. She wore her heritage casually, and that caused her presence to be even more overwhelming. Sarah's personality matched her appearance - she was a self-confident and strong woman. Sarah Hytree was an impressive human being.

And at that moment, Sarah's dark eagle eyes were narrowed as she turned to face her new friend. Sarah gave a brief shake of her head, saying, "Luke, when you arrived, you wished me a good morning. Is it a good morning for you? This one has yet to be determined for me. See, I have two friends who have taken leave of their senses. Until I know how it will go for them, my heart will be heavy and my morning will not be good. Do you understand?"

Luke nodded his head. He understood Sarah completely. And that understanding allowed Luke to share with Sarah what Dakota meant to him. He told her all about their week-end, about asking her out when they returned and about seeing her so many times during the week. He finished by saying, "Sarah, I don't know what else to do. She doesn't even seem to want to speak to me. I'm going to keep trying, but I don't know."

Sarah's eyes sparkled. "She may not want to speak to you, but Dakota does want you! I have known her for awhile now. She is afraid to love and trust. She is afraid that she will be weighed on the scales of desire and found wanting. Luke, you have to find a way to ensure that Dakota knows that you have truly seen her body and that you want it as much as you want her soul. She is strong, but she is lonely. Go to her. Wolves are willing to be loners, but when they mate, it is for life. My friend is a wolf. And you are her mate."

Luke wasn't even surprised that another of Dakota's friends saw her as a wolf. And he felt an arrow of hope shoot through his body. Sarah was right. He was Dakota's mate. Luke smiled at Sarah and said, "My lady, it nears the lunch hour. Wouldst thou do this humble nobleman the gracious honor of your presence over a bite to eat?"

Sarah laughed at Luke's antics and laid aside her work. She and Luke shared sandwiches while Sarah explained that she and James had gone into town early that morning to have blood taken to send off for testing. The preliminary report looked promising, and there was no real question in Sarah's or James' mind now. The two new friends chatted for over an hour, then Sarah sent Luke off to find Dakota.

Luke had only gone a few miles down the road when he saw a truck coming toward him. Since the road was fairly narrow, he pulled to the side of the road to let the truck pass. As the driver pulled up beside Luke, he saw that it was James. As he passed, he motioned for Luke to wait a minute. James drove a bit further down the road, then pulled his truck over the side, so anyone coming by would be able to pass between their two vehicles. Then he bounded out of his truck over to Luke's truck.

Luke said, "Hi James. Are you headed out to see Sarah?"

James gave him an annoyed look and said, "Well, Luke, I was going that way, but seeing you has given me a whole other idea. Boy, I've known you for a long time. In all the years we've been together, you ain't never held out on me. But you are doing it now. I tried to talk to you this week-end and you kept slipping away. Right now I figure I've got you cornered, so to speak, so spill the beans."

Luke didn't even try to act like he didn't know what James was talking about. "Maybe you better get in the truck. This might take a few minutes."

After James got settled in Luke's truck, Luke told James the whole story. He told him about how wonderful Dakota had been and how much he had enjoyed the week-end. Then he told him about how she had refused to see him again and how angry he had gotten. He finished up by telling James about not speaking to Dakota, even though he had seen her every day of the past week. James listened with a frown on his face, until Luke ran out of words.

"So, let me get this straight. You are in love with the girl. You want to continue your relationship with her. But you haven't spoken to her in a week because . . . Ok, Luke, that's where you lost me."

Luke wanted to lie. He wanted to tell James that he didn't love Dakota, but he had never been able to lie to James. "Yeah, that's where I lost me, too."

James looked at him like he had lost his mind. "Has it ever occurred to you that Dakota might be afraid that you will not find her attractive now that you are back in civilization? She isn't exactly young and skinny. She might have a few issues of her own. If she does, then all of your carefully planned attempts to catch her attention are way off base. It sounds like you have her attention. Move in for the kill, boy!"

Luke looked at James thoughtfully. "Man, you and Sarah sure think a lot alike - must be a family trait! She just sent me off to find Dakota to tell her how I feel," Luke said. "James, I don't want to hurt Dakota - and I don't want to get hurt. Maybe I'm not being fair. I thought I was doing what was best, acting all cool and all. But maybe I was wrong. What if I've already lost her?"

JewelTran
JewelTran
335 Followers