The Hunter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He smiled at James and said, Let's load those two in the gun and see what happens." He placed the two loaded cartridges in the holes in the breech of the gun. He folded the barrel straight and twisted the grip to it's original position.

"Looks ready to me, let's step outside and see how it shoots. They walked out on the dock and James pointed out a target on the far bank about fifty feet away. It was a iron disk hanging by chains from a tree branch. Pat lifted the gun and lined up the sights on the target. He squeezed off a shot and the pistol cracked and a loud clang was heard from across the spring. He grinned at James. He offered the weapon to James who shook his head. "Fire again Lad, it appears to be very accurate for a pistol."

Pat fired again with the same results. When the target stopped swinging the could see the two bright new lead smears on it. They were within two inches of each other.

"Damn good shooting Boy! Damned good. Most men can't do that good with a rifle."

Pat tried to put the pistol in the bag still hanging over this shoulder and neck. It was almost impossible to get it in the bag. As he looked he noticed the flap on the end. He pulled the flap open with his left hand and pushed the gun in with his right hand. It went in slick as could be. He looked at James, he unbuckled his belt and put it through the loop on the bag and buckled it back up. He moved his right hand across his waist and under the flap and pulled out the pistol. The grin on his face reached from ear to ear. "That is how it works. Stays nice and safe out of the dust and rain but is right there when you need it."

"That is a nice outfit, what is under that little flap on the side?"

Pat looked and grinned wider. "Six more cartridges, twelve shots when fully loaded. Damn if it don't make me feel like a walking army."

"Hell, Pat, you are an army when you have that bag on. Would you sell it?"

"No, I wouldn't be able to put a price on it. It will be a handy thing to have, but someone took it off a dead man I would have to guess."

"You are right about that."

Pat went back to the office and loaded all twelve cartridges and cleaned and oiled the pistol. He told James he was going for a walk.

He trotted down the river trail then slowed to a walk and moved into the woods as he neared the Martin place. He heard a door slam and saw "Cinda come around a corner. He thought she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. He let her go past then moved to follow her. He caught a glimpse of a movement behind her. He stopped and watched. It was one of her brothers. He was carrying a rifle. Pat eased further from the trail then ran silently through the woods. He cut back towards the trail and slowed to a walk. She was sitting on a fallen tree and he slipped up on her. "May I sit beside you?"

She started and looked up at him. He saw tears in her eyes.

"Yes, please sit down, I thought you weren't coming."

"I will never let you down. Your brother is watching us. He is a bit behind us."

"He worries when I go for a walk. He is very sweet."

"Would you like to walk a little?"

"I would love that." They rose and walked slowly along the path. Her little hand slipped into his. A shiver ran through him. He stopped and turned to face her, he took both her hands, "Lucinda Martin, may I ask your father for his permission to court you?"

"OH! Yes, I would like that very much. You made me very happy."

"I am not good at this sort of thing. I never had much to do with girls. I don't know the right things to say to a girl. I guess I have always been afraid of girls."

"Are you afraid of me?"

"Oh! No, I like being with you. I like it a lot. I think about you all the time. I miss being with you very much."

"Pat, you say all the right things. I enjoy being with you too! Have you ever kissed a girl?"

"Oh! No, never."

"Would you like to kiss me?"

"Er ah mmmm Yes, I would love to kiss you."

She reached up and pulled his face to meet her soft lips.

He moaned deep in his throat. She pulled back and looked up at him very seriously. His heart stopped. She slowly reached and pulled his face down again. Her lips touched his more firmly this time, then her lips parted a bit and her little tongue brushed his lips. He moaned and shivered. They pulled apart. She looked up at him, "I really liked that, how about you?"

"It was wonderful!"

"I am glad you liked it. I learned something. Did you?"

"I learned you are the best kisser in the world."

"Pat, you are silly, you are the first boy I have ever kissed. And I am the first girl you have kissed, so how would you know if I am the best?"

"Well I think you are."

"We better turn back now."

"So soon?"

"Yes, we better head back. Will you be here tomorrow? Maybe you could come during the day and talk to Daddy."

"I will do that. I will talk to your father about you.

I will be scared to death, but I will be there."

"Why would you be afraid of Daddy?"

"He might say no. That would kill me."

She looked wide eyed at him and saw the terror in his eyes.

"You really mean that don't you?"

"Yes."

"Pat, He told me he liked you very much, and that he would look with favor on your courting me."

"He said that?"

"Yes he did."

"Wow, I feel better now. This is wonderful, but scary stuff. I am so afraid of doing or saying the wrong thing. I want this so much."

"What do you want?"

"You know, I want you. For my wife. Forever."

"Oh! Pat, I want it too! I really do." Her arms went around his neck and she pressed hard against him as they kissed. She felt his arousal press against her and knew what it was. She pulled back, breathless. She couldn't help looking down at him. Her eyes found his, she smiled, "Did I do that?"

"I am sorry, please forgive me, I can't help it."

"Pat, dear boy, don't be sorry, I am proud that I affect you that way. I hope I can always do that to you."

"You do?"

"Yes, I do. I want you to want me."

"'Cinda, I love you."

"I love you too, sweet Pat, I love you too. I must hurry so we don't anger Daddy."

He watched her run down the trail. He followed until she reached her brother. They both looked back. She waved, her brother smiled and laughed and they ran for the house. When she was safely inside he turned and ran back to the post.

He found Penny and James in the Office. Penny had a large pitcher of a drink made from the local sour oranges. Basically it was just the juice and water sweetened with sugar. It was still very tart and it was refreshing. He liked it a lot. James grinned at him. "Good news, a post rider arrived with your sight draft a while ago. It was for a lot more that I like to be responsible for here, so I sent the largest part to St. Augustine to the bank there. I also accepted your offer on the property. I have power of attorney so you can take possession when ever you want. Pat sat abruptly in a chair. "Penny, I need your advise, I don't know what to do. I want to marry Lucinda, I love her. She says she feels the same way about me. I told her I wanted to marry her and she said she wanted that too! I haven't even asked permission to court her. Can I just ask her father for her hand in marriage?"

"I believe that would not be looked at as a breech of etiquette in these woods. We take short cuts all the time.

Are you planning to live at the Wright place?"

"Yes, I need help there too. I need to get people to help me get it ready. I need an overseer or foreman, I need a few house maids and a cook I guess. Field hands to get it up an running again. I need wagons and horses or mules. I need everything."

"You already have most of that. There are twenty slaves that go with the property living out back of the post. There is a very intelligent and trustworthy foreman with them. He was on that place for fifteen years and helped build it. There are house servants and field hands. They are going to be happy to go home. Let me get old Tim and tell him. James rang a bell and a young black entered. "Please go get Tim right away. Tell him to hurry." The black took off running.

Tim proved to be a huge man. Ebony black with gray hair. James looked at Tim and smiled, "Good news for you today Tim, this young man just bought the old Wright place, this is my cousin, Patrick Murphy. Pat jumped to his feet and extended his hand. "I am glad to meet you Mister Tim. I hope we can be good friends. I need a lot of help. I need you to tell me how fast we can made the big house livable. That is the first order of business. I want to get married soon but I must have a home ready for my bride. What do we need, men, paint, horses wagons. We need to have your homes ready too.

My wife, or the girl I want to be my wife won't move in unless you and your people are settled too!"

Tim grinned at Pat, "you got one all picked out Mista Pat?"

"I sure do! You will love her."

Penny said, "Tim, you know his intended Bride."

"Ah does?"

"Yes, Miss Lucinda Martin."

Tim' smile lit the room. "Miss 'Cinda? Dat is grand, all our peoples love her. Congratulations Mista Pat. We gonna work lak hell to get tings ready fo' dat liddle lady. Yes we are! I gotta run tell everybody." Then he said "Wait, what about Mista Brad Thurston. He say he gonna marry Miss 'Cinda."

Pat looked at James and his wife. "Who is this Brad Thurston?"

"He is a big bully who tries to tell everybody what to do. 'Cinda is like the rest of us, she can't stand him."

"Yas, Suh, but I scared he try to harm somebody when he find out."

Pat's eyes were flinty, his lips in a straight line. "I will not be frightened by this man no matter who he is. It will be for Lucinda Martin to decide."

The next morning Pat borrowed a horse and was at the Martin house just an hour after dawn. He climbed from his horse and stood in his new suit. One of the Martin boys walked from the house and walked to Pat before he recognized him. "That you Pat? You are here early aint ya?"

"Not too early I hope, Billy. Is Miss Lucinda up yet and your father?"

"You want to see them both?"

"Your sister first would be best."

'Cinda burst out the door and ran to them. "Why are you here so early, look at you, all dressed up. You make a girl's heart flutter."

Pat looked at her and smiled, his eyes never leaving hers as he said, "Billy, I need a word in private with your sister, please." Billy grinned and walked away.

"Miss Lucinda Martin, with your approval I intend to ask your father for your hand in marriage. Will you marry me?"

"Oh! I, I don't know, this is so sudden."

"MY apologies then, Mam, I misunderstood you last evening, I will not embarrass you further." He turned and put his foot in the stirrup. She screamed, "No. No don't leave me, you didn't misunderstand me, I do love you. I was expecting you to ask to court me. You just surprised me. Yes, my answer is yes. Go talk to Daddy. I'll see if he is ready to see you." As she ran in the door he heard her yell, "Mamma!"

After five agonizing minutes Billy came out and grinned at him. "Come on in Pat, Dad will see you now."

Pat found the older man at the table in the dinning room. "Sit down young man, I understand you want to talk to me."

"Sir, If you don't mind I would like to stand. I have come to ask for your daughter Lucinda's hand in marriage. I have purchased the Wright property and intend to make our home there."

"Mister Murphy I will consider your proposal, I must discuss this matter with my wife and daughter. I should have an answer in a few minutes. Please be seated and the girl will bring you coffee."

A black servant placed a cup and saucer in front of him and poured a cup of coffee for him. He sipped the coffee but didn't taste it.

A few minutes later Mr. Martin entered the room and Pat rose and sat back down when the older man did. Mr. Martin had no expression on his face. He looked at Pat, "Young man, my wife, my daughter and I have given very careful consideration to your proposal of marriage. Of interest to us was that she will be living close by in a nice house. That was in your favor. You appear to have adequate resources to provide for her. That was also in your favor.

Also in your favor was the fact that my daughter threatened me with dire consequences if I did not approve. The answer is yes. You may marry my daughter."

Pat's head dropped forward. Tears fell on his chest. He looked up and said, "Thank you , Sir. Thank you very much."

Mr. Martin said, "Ladies you my join us now. Our business is complete. He stood and extended his hand to Pat. "Welcome to our family, Son."

'Cinda ran to him and threw her arms around his neck and kissed him. She pulled back and stood beside him holding his hand. Mrs. Martin hugged and kissed him too.

"It is early , but would you like a small sip of our best whiskey in celebration of this fine day."

"No thank you Sir, I have never acquired a taste for alcoholic beverages."

Pat smiled down at his love. "I spoke with old Tim last night and told him to get what ever he needed to get our home ready for us from the post. He said that every one of the slaves would believe their prayers were answered when they heard you would be their new Mistress." Lucinda looked up at him, "All the slaves from there are ours?"

"Yes, Dear Girl, I think he said there were twenty three of them. They should be down tying to get the place suitable for you to live in now. When we find out you will be able to set a wedding date."

"Oh! Pat, let's go help them. I have to talk to Tim's wife Aunt Bessie, she ran the house for the Wrights. I am so happy, I love Aunt Bessie."

"Son you have done well. That is as fine a bunch of niggers as there is in the state. They should work hard for you."

"I hope so, sir. I have never owned slaves before. I have four freedmen coming down from Virginia to help us too. They were in my family for years and wanted to move here with me. They will be a big help. I must inform you that I do not believe in slavery. I will try and find a way to free all of the slaves we own if I can."

'Cinda pulled his head down and kissed him again. "You just keep making me happier and happier. No wonder I love you."

"You just gonna set them free?" asked Mr. Martin.

"No, Sir, I believe they have to earn freedom to appreciate it. I will talk to all of them and work out a plan to have them work for an hourly wage. They will receive a small part of it. Most will go towards the purchase of their freedom. I am not firm on that plan yet. I need to get advice from you Sir, and from Cousin James, and from Tim too."

"I like the way you think, Pat. I don't hold with slavery either."

"Daddy, can Pat and I talk you and some of the boys into taking us down to the Wright - No, to the Murphy Place?"

"We would be delighted. Yell for the boys, and your sisters, they need to meet your intended husband." A few minutes later the three brothers grinned at Pat and shook his hand. 'Cinda's two sisters giggled and were charmed when Pat kissed the back of their hands. The girls grabbed 'Cinda and pulled her into a corner where the three of them giggled and laughed and hugged and cried. Then the three of them walked hand in hand to Pat and looked up at him. The next oldest girl looked at Pat with tears running down her cheeks. "Can we come and see 'Cinda when we want to?"

Pat looked at her very seriously, he reached out and took her hand, "Dear little Lady, "Cinda and I will be starting a new family, but you will always be her sister, no matter what, any of you will always be welcome at our home at anytime. She will always love you. All of you."

They rode to the old Wright place and found a big change already. Dust and dirt flew from the big house and from the smaller slave houses. When everyone saw Pat and 'Cinda they all rushed to greet them. 'Cinda let Pat swing her down and ran to Aunt Bessie and hugged her. Tim came to Pat. "Mista Pat, Suh, I tink dat be female talk goin' on betwixt dem. We best stay out der way. Tings goin' pretty good. We mostly gonna be stayin' heah from now on."

"Will you be safe here with the Seminoles on the warpath?"

"Suh, we gots eight rifles and shot guns we hid while we gone. We need mo' powder, balls an' shot pretty soon."

"Tell me exactly what you need and I'll bring it as soon as I can."

"Suh, ma Bessie done wrote a list of tings we needs, she gib it to ya before you go."

"Fine, Tim. I'll get what you need as fast as I can."

"Well, Suh, we hid lots of stuff an we gotts ta dig some of it up and see what ya gots fust. Save ya lots of money can we find de china and linins an' tings. We gotts farm tools and 'quipments hid too! Take us two, tree days to see what still good. I gonna keep all the house staff working' on de house most of de day, den afta 'bout mid aftanoon all us work on our places, dat be fine wit you Suh?"

"Tim, you know what has to be done better than I do. You do it your way. My job is to see you have what you need to do your work."

"Suh, I not gonna try to do much wit' de farm cept get what we need growin' to feed ourselves but dat gonna be a while commin' in. We gonna need food pretty quick."

"I'll need a list on that too. I'll do some hunting this afternoon and see if I can get a deer and a hog. I saw plenty of sign just up the drive a bit."

"Yes un, dey lots ob chickens around we left heah, hogs too!. Can we get some feed corn an' we put it out dey come back pretty fast. Need to buy a bunch too."

"I have fifty chickens and twenty hogs on the way now. Should be here soon, are the pens ready? We want to use what we can for brood stock until we can get more. I have ten milk cows and ten steers on the way too. Be a day or two before they get here."

"We hope we can gets a garden goin' pretty quick, gonna be 'bout 60 days 'fore we gets any greens and such from dat."

"Is there a farm nearby we can buy that stuff from?"

"Ah don' know who still farmin' here bouts. Ah send one de boys ta see. Got to be somebody out der gots 'nough to sell some."

"Mr. Martin said he may have a little surplus he can sell us. If we have to we can try bring some in by boat, is the landing still useable."

"Yes, Suh, looked at it dis moanin' fust ting, it good."

"Good, that is the way the cattle and hogs are coming in. I'll talk with you more in a bit, I want to see what Miss 'Cinda is up to."

"Yes, Suh."

Pat hurried to the house and went in the front door. It was looking presentable. He listened carefully and heard voices from the back and he headed in that direction. They were in the dinning room. 'Cinda, her mother, and Aunt Bessie were looking at china spread across the big table.

"Cinda saw him and ran to take his hand and pull him to see The china. "Look at all this, isn't it beautiful." She held his arm tightly against her as she pointed out different things. He felt the warmth of her breast through his shirt sleeve. He walked with her around the table, delighting in her happiness. There was a large sideboard laden with silver and pewter flatware. He was pleased to see that Aunt Bessie was enjoying 'Cinda's excitement as much as he was. He whispered in 'Cinda's ear, "How is the upstairs coming along?"

"Oh! Come see." And she pulled him after her as fast as she could. She released his hand to pull her skirts up so she could run up the stairs. He was right behind her. She pulled him in the first door and threw her arms around his neck drawing him down until her lips met his. Her mouth was open as she kissed him this time and he tentatively traced her lips with his tongue. She moaned and pulled him hard against her. She pulled back and looked up at him. "I love you. I don't need this big house, I just need you. Kiss me again quick before they get here." They heard steps on the stairs. She said, "I don't know, we will see when every thing is in place. Oh! Momma, Pat wants to know if we need any more furniture before we move in. What do you think?"