The Hunter Ch. 03

Story Info
Pat becomes involved in the war.
6.3k words
4.64
21.2k
3

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 11/19/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Pat walked carefully through the wooded area. All his senses were fully alert. The ground was covered with dry leaves twigs and dead foliage. It was impossible to walk silently. Each footstep resulted in the crackle of dry material. It appeared to Pat that the area had not had a fire in several years.

Fires on an almost yearly basis ravaged most areas in this part of Florida. Mostly lightning started the fires. The fires were really a blessing in some ways. They kept the undergrowth cleared from under the trees and lush new growth emerged very soon.

In the winter the lack of rain had North Florida as dry as the tender in his fire-starting pouch. He had seen the new Lucifer striking matches back in Virginia but they hadn't reached this remote part of Florida.

He increased his pace a little to make up for the time he spent standing still listening. He thought some large animal was moving parallel with his path through the forest. He was watching for the road that ran from Orange Springs to Eureka. When he hit that he would be able to pick up his speed. He could not run as he usually would because of the heavy pack he was carrying. He wished he could run; he wanted desperately to get home to his beautiful wife.

The pack on his back contained a number of things they needed badly at his plantation. The cartons of percussion caps were worth their weight in gold. With out them all their firearms, with the exception of several old flintlock fowling pieces, were useless. They were down to only enough for three shots per weapon. They had plenty of powder and lead for balls but they couldn't be used without the caps. He had not been able to resist buying two new dresses and a very scandalous French nightgown for his wife. She hadn't been to a post since she had the baby.

Pat had seen the clothes for his wife in the Elkton Trading Post in St. Augustine. The recent flare up of fighting between the Indians and the Army kept Lucinda at home. They had even had to stop going to see her family only about four miles away ever since several men had been ambushed and killed along the road between the plantations.

Pat slowed and stopped under a large oak tree. He rested the pack against the tree trunk and listened. He heard something. It came from the west. It sounded like the jingle of harnesses and the creak of leather saddles. He angled more towards the place he thought the road was closest. He saw the horsemen and slowed and watched from the bushes. When he could see they were white men in uniforms he stepped out in the road.

They pulled up and stopped a few yards from him. He could see they were not Army troops; they wore a tan canvas uniform he was not familiar with. He held up his hand and the leader rode up to him.

"Good afternoon, Can you tell me the way to the Murphy place?" asked the leader.

"Yes I can. I am headed there myself and I would show you the way but I can't stay up with your horses carrying this pack. It's nor far. About another mile and you will see some cleared fields and then a half mile more and you will see a road going to the left, That is the Murphy place."

"Great, do you know the Murphys? Every body seems to know the wife. By the way, I am Sean Murphy, a Cousin. Pat stepped towards him and held his hand out and grinned, "Hello Cousin, I am Pat Murphy."

The horseman leapt from his horse, "Glad to meet you Pat. I have heard nothing but good thing about you and your bride. My Mother and Father ran the Orange Springs Trading Post until a few months ago when Indians killed them."

"Now I know who you are, your parents talked about you all the time, I think they said you are a Marine. I can't tell you how sorry I am, I loved both of them. Why anyone would kill them is beyond me."

Sean turned and called to a huge man back along the road. "Orlando, bring an extra mount and a pack horse up here. The big man trotted up leading two horses. Sean introduced him as an old friend who was also a Marine Officer. Pat lashed his pack on top of a lightly loaded horse and swung aboard another horse.

As the rode Pat told Sean that he was coming home from St. Augustine. He had just gotten off a steam launch in Eureka a few hours a go. The boat captain had refused to stop at the Murphy Landing because of the Indians. Sean grinned; you must have just missed us. We came by launch to Orange Springs and just rode down here. Did you stop at the Elkton' Post?"

"Sure did, I always go there."

"Thank you, my wife owns the Post."

"Really, does she own the bank and all the other Elkton places there?"

"Pat, she sure does. A man once told me that if a place was in St. Augustine and Molly Elkton didn't own it; it wasn't worth having."

Pat smiled back, "Here is the road to our place. Can you stay and visit a while. My wife was raised right up the road a couple of miles."

"Really, what was her name?"

"Lucinda Martin."

Sean looked at Orlando, they both grinned. Sean said, "We both remember Lucinda Martin and all the Martins. She was a very cute little girl the last time I saw her. My wife was very fond of her and taught her how to do needlepoint. I think she was five or six when we left to go to College in Virginia."

Pat pointed, "There is the house." A bell clanged and men ran from various places and into a small building and emerged carrying rifles and disappeared into the brush. Pat kicked his horse in the ribs and yelled, "Cinda, I'm home!"

A woman ran off the porch and towards him. He leaned from the horse and scooped her up in his arms and across in front of him. He was still kissing her when the rest of the party rode up. Sean and Orlando rode over beside them. Pat's wife still had her arms tightly around Pat's neck.

"Honey, look up, do you remember these men?" 'Cinda looked at both of them she was slowly shaking her head when her face lit up in a huge smile, "Sean Murphy and Orlando. I can't believe it. She looked around, "Where is Molly, did you find her yet?"

"'Cinda, we sure did, the first thing I did was marry her."

"What? You married Molly! She always said she was going to marry you. That is so wonderful I am going to cry, I just can't help it. Oh! Sean, I am so sorry about your Mother and Father. I still cry about them every single day. I loved them so."

"Thanks, we miss them too. Is that a baby I hear?"

Pat grinned, "It sure is, unless I am mistaken that is James Murphy, saying he is hungry." 'Cinda slipped off the horse and ran towards the house.

"And yes, he is named after your father."

Sean said, "Pat, I can't tell you how much that means to me. I am very proud and I know Dad is too!"

Later that evening "Cinda and Pat talked with Sean and Orlando for hours. Sean and Orlando wanted them to come to see them at Molly's Plantation in the east. They both said that if Molly found out they hadn't invited them they would both be sleeping on the porch for a week or more. They all agreed that Molly's steam launch would pick them up at the Murphy Landing in two weeks and take them to the landing on Deep Creek, inland about two miles up the creek they would be met at the landing there by a coach and armed outriders. The coach would take them to Molly's home. The Murphy family should plan on staying at least two weeks.

Sean and Orlando informed them that they were currently on a scouting trip checking Indian Villages as possible targets for future raids by Sean's Detachment.

Pat was fascinated by the weapons Sean and his men were carrying. Each man carried a Colt revolver firing six shots without reloading. They each also carried two loaded cylinders for the revolver that could be changed in seconds. Pat showed them his two shot repeater. Sean was very interested in the cartridge system that he thought could be incorporated into the Colt weapon for even more firepower. The revolver cylinder could be reloaded quickly with cartridges and no extra cylinders would be needed. Pat asked where he could get a Colt revolver. Sean said he would work on it. He thought he might be able to arrange a trade for his cartridge pistol.

Sean showed Pat a Colt Revolving Rifle. Pat said he liked his old Hawken just fine. He said he could mark the V every time at a hundred yards. Sean said they would demonstrate the weapons when they came to the Elkton Plantation to visit.

Sean turned to Pat, "Damn, I remember "Cinda as a pretty little girl, now she is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. You are a lucky man."

"I know that, she is the perfect wife for me, she is my best friend, she is smarter than I am. Please never tell her I said that. She is very good at every thing she tries. She can even shoot better than I can.

"Sean laughed and said, "I believe that, I taught her how to shoot. She was very good right from the start, right Orlando."

"I remember her when we had that child's rifle. It was a thirty six caliber and we used a third of a powder charge. She would shoot at a steel circle hanging on the other side of the creek. She would ring it time after time as long as we would reload it for her. Our Molly was a damned good shot too. Sean and I learned not to bet against her."

Two weeks later Pat and 'Cinda sat in the front of Molly's steam launch as it chugged along down the Ocklawaha River. The boat had a white Captain and engineer and a crew of six blacks. They had loaded some wood at the Murphy Landing, mostly Blackjack Oak mixed with a little Pine and a few lighter knots thrown in. The lighter wood was pine that had been covered with sand for many, many years and all the moisture had been sucked from the wood leaving only the wood fibers and the sap or resin. It was very heavy for it's size and burned extremely hot leaving little ash. The engineers loved it for getting steam up in a hurry. Too much lighter in the fire could melt the boiler tubes and ruin the engine so they had to be careful.

Two of the black crew stood on the bow of the boat and two on the stern. They had long stout poles. They used the poles to push the boat around the turns in the twisty river. The stern paddle wheel that propelled the launch had a large rudder behind it but it was not very effective in turning the boat sharply. The poles saved the day.

The river was very beautiful. In places the huge cypress trees grew together over the water. It was like going through a leafy tunnel. Different kinds of wild birds screeched their anger at being disturbed. Many fish could be seen through the gin clear water.

Alligators were almost everywhere. Some of the gators were huge beasts fifteen to twenty feet long. Once a huge flock of pretty Carolina Parakeets flew past them screaming at the disturbance. When they reached the St. Johns River the water was wider and not as swift. The poles were seldom needed.

The river widened more after they passed the bustling town of Palatka. The docks there were crammed with ocean going sailing ships, a few steamers and barges also plied the waters. About five miles north of Palatka the launch turned into a narrow creek. Two miles up the creek they arrived at a large dock with a ramp loading area.

Orlando greeted them and helped "Cinda and her maid, Polly, into the coach. Pat elected to ride horseback with Orlando. The coach was comfortable and well appointed. It was the first time Polly had ever been in a coach and she was frightened at first but soon enjoyed it. She and Miz 'Cinda giggled over how nice it was compared to the farm wagons they were used to riding. The road was not too rough and they made good time. In less than an hour the coach turned up a long drive between two rows of large oak trees. By sticking their heads out the windows they could see the large Plantation house ahead of them. When they got close the girls were in awe of the size of the main house. "Cinda said, "Polly, I bet that house has twenty rooms in it."

"Yessum, Miz 'Cinda it sho nuf a big un." The coach stopped in front of the steps leading to the house. A group waited for them to be helped from the coach. A very beautiful blond woman dashed forward and grabbed 'Cinda by the shoulders. "Lucinda Martin, look at you, you are gorgeous. Just lovely as can be. Do you remember me?"

"Of course I remember you Molly, how could I ever forget you. You haven't changed much." They hugged each other and kissed many times. Molly held 'Cinda at arms length. "You are so lovely and all grown up. Where are your baby and your husband? Polly stepped forward and "Cinda took the baby and handed it to Molly. Molly looked up with tear filled eyes, "Another handsome red headed Murphy. And this other bigger red headed handsome Murphy must be Pat, your husband." Molly handed the baby back to Polly. She motioned to a tall lovely black woman. "Climmy, take this girl and the baby to Miz 'Cinda and her husband's suite please, Dear. Help get them settled in and then bring them to the main parlor."

'Cinda and Polly accompanied by Pat were shown to a large suite of rooms. Climmy asked if Miz 'Cinda needed a bath. If she did a tub would be brought in a few minutes. "No, Climmy, thank you, I would like to wash my hands and face after the trip."

"Yessum, Theys uh basin and water in de dressin' room. De commode and chamber pot are der too. I wait out side in de hall to shows ya to da parlor."

'Cinda and pat were surprised at the number of people in the large room waiting to meet them. Sean did the honors and introduced them to his son by Molly, Sean Patrick Murphy Junior. He introduced Orlando Sanchez and his wife Priscilla, a strikingly beautiful black haired beauty, who he said was an Indian Princess from Virginia.

Everyone was talking happily when Polly entered with the squalling baby. "Cinda rushed to take it and sat in a chair. Polly held a small light blanket while "Cinda opened her bodice and popped a breast in the babies mouth. Polly placed the blanket over the baby. 'Cinda looked up and carried on the conversation where she had left off. Pricilla and Molly had to have peeks at little Jimmy as he nursed. They thought he was adorable.

Pat, Orlando, and Sean talked with Sean's son who used the name Pat too. He was a nice boy about twelve or thirteen years old. The men discussed the progress of the war with the Seminole Indians. They were interrupted by one of the house servants who talked with Sean. Sean turned to Pat, "Do you speak Mikasuki or Muskogean?"

"I have a smattering of both, I am fairly fluent in Cherokean and Catawban."

"One of our Indian Scouts is just reporting in, I thought you might like to listen in."

"I would like that, I may be able to understand a little."

A tall thin lightly built Indian dressed in partly Indian garb and partly in white man's clothes. He talked rapidly to Sean. Pat understood quite a bit of what was being said. The scout said there were a group of chiefs, including Osceola, meeting in the Big Swamp area. There were several references to a Red Hawk or Eagle. Evidently the Seminoles were very much afraid of the Red Hawk. Both Sean and Orlando questioned the scout. Pat could tell they both spoke like natives. The scout was obviously in awe of both of them but very much deferred to Sean. Sean gave him a lot of praise for his work and instructed him as to where he should go to be fed and shown a place to rest or sleep. The Indian smiled and said he thanked Red Hawk and Big Bear.

Pat was very impressed with the two Marine Officers. They talked some more about the war. Sean said this time of year was the best for fighting because of the dryer weather. Many of the roads and trails were impassable to wagons and some even to horses when it was really wet. Supplying food for men and animals under those conditions was all but impossible. To make things worse during the rainy season any dry area was likely to be covered by venomous snakes.

Climmy announced that dinner was being served. The dinning room was quite large and the long table was not nearly full. Climmy ran the whole thing and directed the dinner. After a lovely meal the adults retired to a smaller family room. The men were offered Brandy. Pat declined saying he had never acquired the taste for alcoholic beverages. He was offered a concoction of fruit juices that the ladies liked. He tried it and enjoyed it very much.

Molly asked Sean if the scout had anything interesting to report. Sean told her of the meeting between the chiefs at the Big Swamp, and about the fear the Seminoles had of the Red Hawk.

Pat mentioned that his Negroes had told him that a Red Hawk was destroying Indian villages but that he didn't know what they meant. The message going around the bands of Seminoles was that if you heard the cry of the hawk at night; you must run away from your village as fast as you could.

Molly laughed and Pat saw that Sean, Orlando and Pricilla were all smiling. Molly said, "Pat, Dear, they are talking about my sweet husband, he IS the Red Hawk. His Indian name is Red Hawk. Priscilla is famous too. She is the heroine of Orange Springs!"

"Holly Cow, is she the girl that stood up to Osceola at the Post?"

"Yes."

"I can't believe she could do that, she is tiny. Wow!"

Osceola had surprised 'Cilla in the post store. He told her she was beautiful and that he was going to take her for his wife. She told him she was already married to Orlando and he said he would take her anyway. She smiled sweetly at him then moved closer to him. Her little hand shot out and grabbed him by the genitalia and clamped down hard. He screamed and raised he arm to hit her when he felt a sharp pain in his penis, he saw she held a sharp knife. She told him his options; he could get his penis cut off, or run away, he chose to run away. The story was over all of Florida like lightning and even spread all over the country.

Orlando laughed, "She is small but she is like a small rattlesnake, they bite hard too."

'Cilla jumped to her feet, "I am small. But don't call me a snake, you big ox, or you will find out how hard I can bite."

Pat had to smile at the little girl with the flashing eyes; he would hate to be the target of her anger. Then he noticed the loving little smile of adoration she gave her huge husband.

Polly brought Jimmy in for another feeding. 'Cinda smiled at the girl, "Have you a place to sleep tonight?"

"Yessum, Climmy gonna let me stay in the servant's quarters heah in dis big house wit her. It nice der."

"That's good Polly, I won't need you again until morning."

"No Ma'am, Ah he'ps ya get undress an' reddy fo' bed. Den Ah rest some."

"Polly, Jimmy is sleeping almost all night now. Maybe we can both get some rest."

"Yessum, he so cute, I loves him ta pieces. Ah sit up all night and rock him if ya wants."

"No, Dear, you go get some rest, the Mista and I can get me undressed and get Jimmy to bed."

"Yessum, jus' pull de bell an' Ah comes."

The next morning Pat accompanied Sean and they rode to the field several hundred yards behind the plantation house. They watched as Orlando galloped up with two groups of horsemen leading several mules behind each group. Orlando shouted a command and the two squads halted. Orlando gave a hand signal and all the men dismounted and ran for the pack mules. Each squad unloaded a small mortar, which was carried by two men to a place where Orlando had dropped a small wooden stake. Other men opened a box carried on a mule and ran forward carrying a powder charge and a shell for the mortar.

Pat watched as Sean looked at each squad, then raised his arm and dropped it. The two little cannon roared and the target was destroyed by hundreds of lead balls raining down from the shells that exploded about fifty feet above. The squads packed the mortars back on the horses or mules and they rode off. They went to the other side of the field and turned and galloped back. They pulled up to stop in a different spot and were back in action quickly, more lead balls crashed into the target. Pat couldn't believe how devastating the little cannon were. Orlando laughed, "Pat, you should see it when we fire all eight mortars in a five second ripple for five shots for each mortar. There is a shell exploding on the target every five seconds for nearly a minute and a half. It is truly awesome when forty shells hit one after the other.

12