The Hunter's Companions Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He wanted forgiveness.

He wanted to make her understand.

She wanted him to go away.

~*~

A month passed and Livinia was finally pulled from her bed by the members of her guild, who simply insisted that Belcarm and Kalendras would not want to see her spend the rest of her life wallowing beneath her covers.

Every day a different guild member spent time with her, in the yard, in the streets of Silvermoon, and eventually in the Eversong Woods beyond. It still hurt. It still felt like every breath she took was punctuated by a dagger to the heart. Though every day she began to function a little more than the last. Her parents were over the moon, but she still couldn't manage more than angry glares at her mother. She doubted she would ever be able to forgive the woman for her betrayal.

It was Sierra that was with her when Rioden came again. This time she was in a better state to attack him, but when her knife pressed against his hot throat he didn't look scared. He seemed to welcome it. He had dark circles under his eyes and he was paler than should have been possible.

He told her the story again. He told her of the trial happening at that very moment to determine his father's fate. He left and then came back again that evening to tell her that his father's was found guilty and that the sentencing would be held the following morning.

Good, Livhtia thought, at least there would be some justice.

~*~

The sentencing was supposed to be satisfying. It was supposed to feel like revenge, justice and relief all at once. It wasn't though.

It was all part of a larger plan, a conspiracy with unknown players to remove the Swiftspells and Sunspeakers from the scene of Silvermoon Politics. Not only had Mitrae disguised himself as Rioden, he had been acting under a compulsion spell. They were trying hard to uncover the true culprit but it meant nothing to Livinia. Kalendras and Belcarm were still gone.

Instead of feeling relief Livinia just felt empty...

That night Rioden had returned. They sat in the same room for a long time, silent, and Livinia could barely tolerate his presence. He explained that he hated his father. Always had. It didn't surprise him that he had been mixed up in such a terrible plot; for all of his dastardly deeds he deserved nothing less. Rioden was just sorry that Livinia had suffered because of it.

That night was the first of many spent in each other's company. Fate had a strange way of working, Livinia thought. Both united because of unspeakably evil acts, sharing a mourning that only the other could understand.

Livinia didn't know when she begun to stop feeling angry in his presence, she only knew that she did. The months flew past and eventually he offered to take her to the cellar where Belcarm and Kalendras had been kept.

As Livinia walked the familiar roads of Silvermoon City, veering off into the quarter that held the Swiftspell estate, Livinia saw the sun light properly for the first time in months. She felt it's warmth wash over her as she followed the solemn Rioden back to the place where it all happened.

As soon as she crossed the threshold of the dungeon months and months of emotional agony hit her in a tidal wave and she collapsed. Instead of feeling the cold stone floor against her face, she gasped as Rioden caught her in his arms.

The next moment they were both crying. He apologized so many times that the word lost all sound and meaning. He begged for forgiveness and pleaded ignorance until Livinia had no choice but to believe it.

"The only thing I knew," Rioden said softly, when her sobs subsided into small breathless hiccups "was that we were supposed to be wed. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe I was so lucky..." He shook his head sadly "If I'd known I would have put a stop to it... Seeing you hurt had been the hardest thing, Livinia." With all of the political pretensions and high society drama stripped away he was better than she ever thought he could be.

When his hot lips fell on hers she knew that his story was the truth, instead of the sour breath she was used to in her imprisonment, his was fresh and sweet. His lips were soft on hers, and her tears added salt to the kiss. When he finally pulled away he was quick to apologize. She held her breath for a moment, not hearing him through the rush of blood in her ears. For a moment, the pain had been dulled.

It was going to be hard, they both knew, to settle into a relationship that had begun in such a cataclysmic manner... But they discovered in that moment that perhaps they were willing to try.

~*~

Livinia looked up, with hot tears streaming down her face, as the door shuddered violently against its hinges.

"Shhh...." Rioden's voice came, gently, and she looked up into his soft green eyes.

"Who is it?" She gently extricated herself from his grasp.

"I don't know... just stay behind me," He said, as they got to their feet. He pushed her behind him gently and she frowned. Her fingers strayed habitually to her back, but she had come with no weapons. She hadn't needed them for months, and her body had gotten softer in her inaction. This was nothing more than a trip to gain closure, the thought that it would end in anything else didn't even cross her mind.

"Rioden, I can defend myself." Her voice was croaky from the sobs that had torn through her throat earlier.

"No. I let you get hurt before, I won't let it happen again," He said angrily, backing her further up against the wall.

There was a loud shout and the door exploded, sending shards of wood hurtling through the room and Livinia crouched down defensively as Rioden turned his back and hovered over her to shield her from the worst of it. They quickly got back to their feet and into a defensive position.

When the dust finally settled Livinia cried out in dismay and her entire body went weak. She fell against the stone wall behind her and her breath hitched in her throat as Kalendras and Belcarm burst into the room.

"Livinia!" Kalendras's deep growl vibrated through the room and send shockwaves into her newly healed heart.

"No!" Livinia cried, fresh tears springing into her bone dry eyes, "It's not possible." She whimpered. Rioden let out an angry hiss and stood over her protectively.

"Ignore it Livinia. They must minions of the person who started this mess!" His hands were sheathed in writhing dark energy. Livinia couldn't help it though. Minions or not she couldn't stop herself from peering around him, and found a new wave of nausea hit her body as she saw minion Belcarm looking at minion Kalendras questioningly. The big Tauren was holding her bow, arrows, and a bulging cloth bag in his hands, and Livinia wondered how they had gotten into her house to retrieve them.

"Let her go, Swiftspell," Kalendras growled, the sound was so familiar that it hurt. It ripped into her heart and opened the wound of her mourning.

"I don't know who you are, but you're imposters," Rioden returned, holding his hands up and releasing two powerful orbs of energy.

The other two were quicker though, and before Rioden could make another move imposter Belcarm had deflected the spells and sent one back of his own. Kalendras shifted into cat form, dropping the items in his hand, and pounced on the Warlock, effectively pinning him under his powerful form.

"No!" Livinia's body tensed as she saw Rioden's head slam painfully against the floor.

"Livinia!" The imposter Belcarm flew over to her and kneeled before her, he tried to take her into his arms but she cried and threw herself back against the wall.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" Livinia shrieked, eyes wide with horror as she saw a trickle of blood seep from Rioden's injured head.

~*~

Kalendras was shocked to say the least. He watched as Livinia cowered from Belcarm and looked at the Warlock under his paws with concern. When they had burst through the doors his heart had soared to see her alive and looking well. When he had seen the look of horror in her eyes he had ignored it. But now? He couldn't push away the pained look of despair and confusion on her face.

"Livinia?" Belcarm's voice came, hurt and uncertain.

"This isn't possible!" She whispered, looking as though she was trying to melt into the wall. "Why can't you just leave me alone?" She pleaded desperately, in a voice so resigned and unlike her that it made Kalendras feel ill.

"What are you talking about?" Belcarm asked, rolling back onto his haunches.

"Don't listen to them Liv!" Rioden hissed, managing to get a breath in even though Kal had one paw pressed heavily on his throat. He brought his other front paw up to give the Warlock a heavy cuff across the face and he heard Livinia gasp.

"NO!"

"Liv?" Belcarm looked at Livinia again, this time more cautiously. Not knowing what else to do, Kalendras cast a spell before he eased off Rioden and gingerly padded over to where Livinia was.

"Livinia?" Kalendras ignored the warlock, now safely bound by his spell, and stepped closer to his oldest friend, when she flinched at his proximity his heart stopped.

"Livinia," Belcarm said softly, "The Guardians will be here in a moment. Mitrae has been arrested and you're free."

"Mitrae is already in jail!" The conviction in her voice was so strong that Kalendras wondered whether she was privy to information that they weren't. "And both of you are dead!"

The words were like a physical blow. Kalendras could tell that Belcarm felt the same when his eyes turned to ice.

"No, Livinia, we are here... See?" Belcarm's voice was still soft, but tinged with worry. He patted his arms on his chest for good measure.

"No!" She snapped, fingers clawing at her face angrily "No! You died two months ago! I don't know who you are or what you want! Just leave me alone!" Belcarm tried to reach out for her again but she slapped his hand away and pushed further back into the wall.

"Her mind has been altered," Kalendras growled, it was the only plausible explanation.

"Ignore them Liv!" The Warlock's voice rung through the dungeon. It seemed to be the only thing that could calm Livinia down. Kalendras delivered a swift kick to his head and Rioden fell silent again.

"Leave him alone!" Livinia looked at Rioden in dismay, concern shining in her eyes.

Unsure of what to do, Belcarm backed away from her and stood up beside Kalendras.

"What do we do?" Belcarm whispered, his concern plain in his voice.

"Her mind has been altered... I think she really believes we're dead." The pain in Livinia's eyes made his heart ache, and Kalendras had to resist the overwhelming urge to scoop her into his arms and hold her until she felt better. "We need to convince her it was a lie."

"Livinia, I saw you no more than twelve hours ago, when Rioden brought me here to your cell," Belcarm said softly, she turned her face and tried to ignore him. "You've been in Rioden's possession for three and a half days."

"No! You were brought here by Mitrae, disguised as Rioden. And you have been dead for months!" Livinia argued almost desperately.

"He is alive, Livinia, I assure you," Kalendras added "As am I."

"I will take no assurances from wights or imposters."

A strange sound filled the room and Kalendras turned, seeing a look of maniacal glee on Rioden's face. He was laughing. The little bastard was laughing. Kalendras restrained the urge to kick him again, knowing it would not help their cause.

"Shut up, you evil bastard." Belcarm turned, paying attention to the Warlock properly for the first time since they entered the room. He made to move towards him, but Kalendras held him back.

"Swiftspell, the Guardians are on their way here now to apprehend you. You and your father are going to be trialed for high treason on the morrow. They will find you guilty and they will execute you both." Kalendras said matter-of-factly, but the laughter continued.

"Are you kidding?" Rioden laughed "No jury in this land will find us guilty! Do you know how many connections we have? Do you?"

"Rioden?" Livinia's voice broke through his conversation pitifully.

"Never you mind pet- I will dispense of these imposte-" His reassurance was cut short as Belcarm sent a rebuke spell his way. Kalendras turned back to see Livinia watching him with eyes wide in fear.

Kalendras fell to his knees and looked deep into her eyes, trying to project all of the love he felt for her in the contact. He had to convince her that it was him, free her from this madness.

"Livinia, we have been friends since before we could walk. We ran through the streets of Silvermoon City together and caused so much trouble that our parents thought we were lost causes!" Livinia's eyebrows furrowed. "You were upset when I left... the night before I set out on my adventures you begged me not to leave! You pulled me aside and told me that I would make a much better diplomat than a druid. When I told you were crazy you laughed and said that it was true...."

Livinia's eyes softened slightly, but she was still clearly on the defensive. Belcarm watched carefully, catching on to what Kalendras was doing.

"I met you in the Eversong Woods," Belcarm supplied softly, taking the attention away from Kalendras. "You hated me... but I certainly didn't hate you. That day we made our first kill together. It was my second but your first... You took the arrow out of the lynx, cleaned it off, and then snapped the tip off. I asked you what on Azeroth you were doing, but you ignored me and tucked the arrow head right into the bottom of your pack. You still have it there, after all of these years you keep it, because it was your first kill and you can't bear to throw the souvenir away."

Kalendras was so relieved when he saw the fog begin to lift from Livinia's eyes, and crept slightly forward, pleased that she didn't retreat from him.

"It isn't possible." She looked at them with hope through them through a sheen of tears.

"Livinia, it is me, I swear... Do you remember the first time that we made love, under the shadow of Thunder Bluff, and you told me that I was the one person you truly trusted, above all others, to tell you the truth- whether you wanted to hear it or not?" As he spoke of the memory the tears began to spill from her glittering eyes. "I am telling you the truth now, just like I always have Nitawa Kee."

The sound of her nickname on his lips was enough to send her over the edge. She fell forward and wrapped one arm around each of them, her entire body heaving with sobs. The feeling of her warm body against his fur was the most amazing thing he had ever felt in his life. He looked over her shoulder at Belcarm and found that the Paladin was giving him a relieved smile, his emerald eyes flooded with emotion. Though Kalendras's brow creased when he caught sight of something out of the corner of his eyes.

There, on the wooden desk, the only piece of furniture in the room, sat a crystal bottle and a deflated fabric pouch. Reluctantly, he pulled himself from Livinia's grasp and found that she fell easily enough into Belcarm's embrace. He made his way over to the items, his suspicions finally confirmed.

~*~

When Kalendras held the items out to her Livinia scrubbed the tears from her eyes and took them gingerly. Magic Dust and a Potion of Nightmares. The beginnings anger, betrayal and understanding slithered through her veins, hot and hungry, and she looked at the Warlock lying on the ground beside Kalendras. Silently, she stood and walked over to her weapons. She bent down carefully, taking one artfully fletched arrow from her quiver and taking her bow in hand, placing the bottle and pouch in its empty spot. The wood was smooth and comforting beneath her fingers. Real, familiar, dangerous. She walked back over to Rioden slowly, trying to comprehend everything that had happened to her in the past few months- no, days.

"You..." She tried to come up with the right words, but they caught in her throat and all she could do was look at Rioden. She nocked her arrow and looked at him, caught between pity, anger and a horrifying sense of affection.

"Nitawa Kee?" Kalendras's voice rumbled from behind her.

"You..." She tried to speak again but the words in her mind would stop before they reached her mouth. Rioden looked up at her, pale green eyes pleading, and her heart stopped in sympathy. She tried to shake the feeling off, but found it impossible.

"The Guardian's are comin," Belcarm warned, a sense of urgency in his voice.

Livinia heard the distant echoes of metal boots and her heart sped up. She drew her arrow back and aimed it at Rioden's head, knowing that, at this range, the arrow would have no trouble piercing his skull.

She took a deep breath, and tried to release the arrow, but instead fell to the ground with a strangled cry.

She couldn't do it.

~*~

Belcarm watched as Livinia fell to the ground, bow string relaxing in the motion. He saw the look of hopelessness and confusion in her eyes and an irrational rage filled him.

In less than a second he had drawn the sword he'd borrowed off Sierra and was kneeling over Rioden's bound form. He held the blade high above the Warlock's chest and heard Livinia's cry and Kalendras's protests a moment before he drove the blade through his body and into the stone floor beyond.

~*~

Kalendras's eyes were wide when he raced forward to pull Belcarm of Rioden's bleeding body. He struggled to maintain a hold of the Paladin as he wrenched the bloodied sword from his grasp.

When Rioden gurgled his last breath Belcarm finally relaxed. Kalendras dropped Belcarm and the sword just as Aegon and his Guardians marched into the room and looked at the scene before them with questions blazing in their eyes. A richly dressed Elf pushed his way through the silent crowd and took one look at the grizzly tableaux.

"You said he wouldn't be harmed!" The Warlock spluttered, racing over to Rioden's lifeless body.

"Who did this?" Aegon asked, looking at Belcarm, Kalendras and Livinia in turn. "I said that he wasn't to be hurt."

Kalendras watched as Belcarm got to his feet, his entire body shaking with the aftershocks of his all-consuming rage.

"Me!" The word tore from Kalendras throat. Livinia and Belcarm gasped and turned to face Kalendras.

"Kalendras!" Belcarm growled, but Kal ignored him and stepped closer to Aegon.

"I killed him," Kalendras repeated firmly. Aegon closed his eyes and hung his head.

"Arrest him."

Aegon's second in charge was the one who made the order, and a few moments later Kalendras felt dozens of cold hands grasp at his wrists, restraining him and pulling him towards the broken door.

"NO! KALENDRAS!"

Livinia's cries echoed up the spiral staircase and clung to Kalendras' heart as he was pulled further and further away from her.