The Infinite Bk. 01 Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The goblin charged with his sword slightly raised to either block or attack. It wasn't glowing like before, but his last attack had shown that he could harness his magic in a fraction of a second, so Noah couldn't risk being in the way when the next swing happened. Noah readied himself, still holding his broken sword. Finally, he came within the goblin's range, and the sword swung diagonally toward his neck.

Noah bolted forward, anticipating when the goblin would be committed to the move, and swung his broken sword toward the goblin's wrists. The feint made his foe pause for the briefest moment, and that moment was all Noah needed to draw his short sword and clip him across the stomach.

The wound was severe, having used the inertia of the goblin's charge to overcome the wall of abdominal muscles and slice deep into the organs. The goblin staggered with his guts spilling onto the ground, and Noah finished him off before he could regain any of his strength. He took a deep breath and listened for any attackers hiding nearby.

"Clear."

"Well done, Master," Tin said while bowing. Beside her, Oath was in a daze.

As Tin went to work removing the goblin's armor and checking for personal possessions, Noah examined the sword used. It was a good blade, undoubtedly sturdy, but his original longsword had the maximum allowable weight and size, and anything greater in either category would hinder his movements too much.

Oath approached him. "Where did you learn to fight like that?"

"I've studied various styles and forms of combat throughout my life, including archery and swordplay, mostly out of boredom or for exercise, and I've had plenty of experience killing. Your father pays people for every goblin people kill, correct? Will I get extra if I bring him the head of their chief?"

"Don't worry, I'll tell him myself. He'll want to know about this."

"Master, I found something." He turned to Tin, who was holding up the hand of the goblin to show him the ring on his little finger. She presented the ring to Noah, and he could immediately feel its magic.

'Huh, a magic ring found in a goblin tunnel. What could possibly go wrong?'

He took a closer look under the light of Tin's lantern and found a crest depicting a shield with a swan on it. It was the national symbol of Uther. There was also something written on the band with a foreign substance. "Oath, what do you make of this?"

"That's the ring of an Utheric knight! Anyone caught wearing one without being knighted can lose their hand as punishment!"

"I heard of those guys. They train at some noble school. Why so steep?"

"The ring is gold, but is inscribed with a rare metal called avenium, which can imbue objects with very high-level spells. I once heard that a sword with avenium runes can hold more power than the ten best steel swords. Knight rings are inscribed with a spell that creates another world where items can be stored."

"How many items?"

"I heard it can store up to the same weight as the one who caries it, but you only feel the weight of the ring."

Noah put on the ring and channeled some of his mana into it, suddenly feeling like he had just put his hand into a stuffed bag. He could touch the objects within, but only his hand was visible. He felt a small bottle and closed his fingers around it. The ring acknowledged Noah's selection and materialized the bottle. It was full of a yellow liquid, probably some potion, or it could just be olive oil.

"This'll come in handy."

"Just wearing that ring is a serious crime!"

"What ring? I don't see a ring," Noah replied as he stowed it in his pocket. "See? No crime is being committed. Now shut it, we're not done yet."

The rest of the day was spent in those dark tunnels, searching for goods. By the time he had faced the hobgoblin, most of the other goblins had already been killed, so there was little resistance. They found the bulk of their prize in the lowest chamber, where the hobgoblin appeared to have been sleeping.

The goblins were excellent thieves, stealing whatever they could get their hands on, with travelers being their favorite targets. As a result, there were weapon stashes, bags and barrels of food, ropes and chains, clothes and armor, plenty of tools, and a small fortune in coins. He even found the armor and sword of the knight that the goblin chief had killed. This haul was better than Noah hoped, and while they couldn't carry all of it, the ring helped collect the best pieces.

When they finally stepped out of the mine, the sun was setting. There could still be goblins in the woods, making their way to the mine after a day of hunting, so the trio wasted no time getting a safe distance to make camp. A tree, nearly as thick as a school bus, offered them shelter. They bedded down at its base, with its raised roots acting as walls and a fire warding off anything that might try to attack during the night.

Dinner was traveler's rations, the traditional food for anyone camping in the wilderness. While he ate, Noah examined all of the items in the ring. There were numerous potions, spare sets of men's clothes, some tools and knives, rations, and a few gold coins.

He looked closer at the armor and sword the knight had been using. Unfortunately, there wasn't much he could do with the armor. Minus some plates he could use on his arms and legs, it was impractically heavy for his fighting style, and considering how steep the punishment was for wearing the ring, getting caught with it would probably be a bad idea. Hopefully, the blacksmith would be willing to buy it.

The sword, on the other hand, was a definite prize, albeit illegal to carry. It was a longsword like Noah's broken one, but with an ornate guard and handle and a line of runes going up the blade. Like the ring, he could sense the magic imbued, but it failed to react to his mana. At the very least, it would serve well as a backup in similar fights. If he figured out how it worked, it could serve as a trump card.

"So how long have you been an adventurer?" Oath asked.

"Several years. Why?"

"I was just making conversation. You said you studied several different schools of combat. Who taught you? Where did you get your lessons?"

"The town I grew up in, there were plenty of former adventurers willing to pass their skills on."

"And your parents?"

"I haven't seen them since I set off from home to make my fortune."

"So, do you—"

"I suggest you stop for a moment and ponder why I'm not asking you questions about your life or trying to get to know you." Noah glared at him, unblinking. "Think hard."

Oath wisely closed his mouth.

They set out at dawn the next day, wanting to escape the forest as soon as possible to avoid danger and reach the shops before closing. However, it would take them most of the day to return to Clive, and that was without all the weight they were carrying, so they had to try and keep a good pace. By around midday, they reached a large open pasture, but before they could cross it, a grievance was made.

"I can't go any further!" Oath exclaimed.

"Master, please forgive me, but I too am at my limit."

"Well we've made considerable distance, and I believe it's about lunch time. Sure, let's stop here for a break."

Tin and Oath settled at the pasture's edge under the shade of a tree and prepared lunch. While they worked, Noah walked through the field to ensure there weren't any predators in hiding. It was when he reached the center that he stopped. Something about the area didn't feel right to him. There were lots of prints from man, beast, and horse, but he wasn't seeing any established trails. His suspicions were answered when a sound reached his ears. It was not the rustling of grass or the growl of a wolf, but the neighing of horses. He looked into the distance and saw four men on horseback break free of the forest and gallop towards him with their swords drawn. They were bandits, lying in wait to ambush whoever or whatever crossed the field.

"Tin, take Oath and get back into the forest, deep enough that you can't even see me!"

Tin didn't understand, but when she heard the horses in the distance and the hollering of the approaching men, she hurried to her feet and dragged Oath into the woods. With them out of the way, Noah faced the oncoming enemies.

"Thanks for the horses," he said as he brushed his hand over his eyes.

He was rendered invisible while he sent off his clone, running to the side with its illusionary sword in-hand. It drew the men's attention, and one of them tried to take it out with his bow. Noah controlled the clone like a puppet on strings, and while it moved, he put the knight ring on his finger and activated it, materializing his own bow and an arrow. It took him a moment to aim and release, striking the archer in the chest and sending him tumbling off his horse.

The other horsemen realized their friend was slain, but there was no time to look for the enemy archer. Instead, they had to close in on the young man with the sword. They tried to run him down with their blades outreached, but before they could strike their target, a well-placed shot further thinned their ranks. The two remaining men swung at Noah's clone, but for the sake of appearance, he had it dodge while he took out the third man. Only one man was left, but he didn't bother going after the clone. He was smart enough to cut his losses and flee back into the woods, but a fourth arrow erased that hope.

"Tin, Oath, you can come out now," Noah said as he released his magic. They appeared from the woods, seeing Noah with the three horses nearby. "Tin, loot the corpses. Oath, gather the horses. I'm going to check out their camp. Once we've rested and eaten, we'll move on. The way back to the village will be much easier now."

With the horses, they managed to make it back to the village in the late afternoon. The bandits had amassed a decent haul of treasures from their prey, both human and animal, further supplementing Noah's abundant spoils of war.

"Thank you for getting me back here," said Oath.

"No need to thank me, you paid off your debt."

"Still, I'm glad you didn't just knock me out and steal my clothes like you said you would. I have to go see my father, he must be worried sick."

"I'll expect you to bring that horse back."

"Yes, yes, I know."

They split up, Oath returning home and Noah and Tin selling their goods. They first went to the blacksmith, as most of their bounty was scavenged weapons. When Noah laid them all out on the counter, the blacksmith couldn't help but voice his surprise.

"I don't think I've ever seen one man with a haul like this. You really did all of this yourself?"

"Well I had some help carrying it back. But there is another thing you might be interested in."

Noah held up a canvas bag and set it on the counter. The blacksmith looked inside and gained a stern look.

"You found this in a goblin den?"

It was the armor of the slain Utheric knight.

"That's right, but that was all. I was hoping I could find the sword or ring, but they were gone. So, are you interested? This armor has better steel than anything in your shop."

"I could get beheaded just for having this!"

"Which is why you better melt it down fast to make into something really nice that you can sell for a lot of money."

The blacksmith mulled it over and released a deep sigh of resignation. Whether it was money or his artistic mind thinking of everything he could make, he couldn't allow the armor to leave the store.

"Fine, what do want for everything?"

As usual, bargaining with the blacksmith took some time, but Noah left with several shiny gold coins and a replacement for his longsword. He and Tin moved from shop to shop, selling everything left. Then Noah took Tin somewhere she did not expect: the local goldsmith. Unlike other stores, this one had guards posted inside and outside, and all the merchandise was behind a counter, with iron bars blocking it from the customer. An old man was sitting at the counter, scrutinizing a jewel.

"Ah, how can I help you?"

"I was hoping you could appraise this for me." Noah took out a black gem, the size of the first joint of his little finger, and laid it on the counter. The old man held the jewel up to the light and studied it.

"Oh, this of superb quality. Where did you find this?"

"A goblin den."

"Ah, of course. Goblins are brutish, nasty creatures, but they have a strange luck when it comes to finding things. This is an enhancement gem."

"I thought I sensed magic in it, it appears I was right. What is it used for?"

"When grafted to an enchanted item, it boosts the strength of the enchantment. For example, imagine a magic sword that can cut twice as well as a standard sword. It will cut four times better with this imbued into the pommel, handle, or blade. They are a favorite of nobles, for they improve the enchanted items and make them more visually appealing and extravagant, perfect for showing off. You'll find high-ranking nobles with jewel-encrusted swords on their hips at balls and formal events.

Would you be willing to sell it?"

"Actually, I was hoping you could set it into something."

Noah took out the knight ring and slid it across the table, only letting the jeweler see it. At the sight of the ring, he became tense.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to..."

"I'm willing to pay handsomely. I've already sold the armor that went with it."

Like the blacksmith, the jeweler took a deep breath. "Tob, Gon, could you two please step outside for a minute?" The two guards, despite their curiosity, left the store, giving Noah and the jeweler their privacy. The old man stared at Noah. "Do you have a death wish, boy? Just having this could—"

"I'm aware of the punishment, but you already decided you're willing to take a risk. Cover the runes with gold leaf and set the gem. If it looks good and the ring's spell really is enhanced, I'll pay you five silver coins."

"Fifteen."

"Seven silver. Come on, no one out here is going to care about this. You think some royal knights are going to come bursting in? You could show this to the baron and he wouldn't bat an eye."

"Fine, ten silver."

"Deal."

"I'll have it ready by noon tomorrow."

Noah and Tin left the jeweler and headed back to the inn to call it a day, but as they approached, Oath appeared. "Noah, my father wants to speak with you."

"Can't it wait? The sun is going to set soon."

"He says it is of great importance. He also wants to reward you for saving me."

Noah looked over to one of the bags hanging off the side of his saddle. It was full of severed goblin ears. Did he really want to bring those into their room at the inn? It would probably be better just to get paid now.

"Fine, just let Tin and I drop off the rest of our haul at the inn and lead the way."

After stopping at the inn, they rode out of town to the baron's estate. Being a noble, he was better off than any of the villagers, though still paling to the affluence of higher-ranked nobles. He lived in a rustic manor, surrounded by fields that slaves tended to. Leaving their horses in the stable in the back, Oath brought Noah and Tin into the mansion and stopped before a set of double doors.

"Father, I've returned with Noah," he said while knocking.

"Enter."

Oath opened the doors to the private study, and behind the desk, a man with a long beard was filing paperwork on parchment. He looked older than Noah expected for a son so young. Standing beside him was a woman dressed as a maid.

"You must be young Master Noah. My son has told me of your great strength and skills. You have my undying gratitude for saving him, and my respect for your accomplishments in battle." The baron didn't get up to shake Noah's hand, but that was to be expected of a noble.

"You are very welcome, Lord Fault." Noah replied with a bow of his head.

"You deserve compensation for your efforts. Twice, you have saved my son's life." The baron drew a sack of coins from his desk and handed it to Noah.

"I appreciate it. While we're on the subject, I also have numerous goblin ears that I'd like receive payment for."

"Ah, of course, of course. You also deserve extra for dealing with that goblin chief. Amelia," he said, turning to the maid beside him, "please count up the ears and calculate their payment, and please take my son and this lovely young lady to the parlor to relax. Master Noah, if you have time, I would like to speak with you about some important matters."

"Very well, then."

The maid left with Oath and Tin and shut the doors behind her. The baron got up and retrieved a bottle of wine with a set of cups made from the horns of some animal. "Would you care for a drink?"

"I'd love one." Two cups were poured, and one was handed to Noah. Compared to the modern world, the alcohol consumed in these lands was tough to force down, yet the quality of the wine surprised him. "Oh, that is good."

The baron sat down. "I cannot thank you enough. If my son had perished, that would have been the end of my line."

"I'm sure a man like you could work up a few heirs. There are probably some already running around the town."

The baron gave a bitter chuckle. "If only. I suppose we should get down to business. You have already proven yourself a great rescuer and guard for my son. I would like to hire you to do it again."

"Not more goblins, I trust?"

"Actually, something a little more difficult. I want you to help him capture a dungeon crab."

"Pardon my ignorance, but I am not familiar with the term. I come from a land without such things."

The baron began searching a nearby bookshelf. "Dungeon crabs are massive terrestrial beings, spending their lives deep beneath the earth. However, they surface from time to time, poking the tips of their shells out of the ground."

He found the desired book and laid it on the table, open to a specific page. There were two pictures, the first of what looked like a hermit crab, with a pointed shell several times its own size and no claws. The second showed the shell poking out of the ground, resembling a lighthouse atop a rocky cliff.

Had the artist seen a dungeon crab fully revealed, or was he going by his imagination? For a creature of this size to move underground without being noticed, it would have to rise from under the earth's crust. A few days ago, the town experienced an earthquake. That must have been the crab rising to the surface.

"Because they dwell so deep in the ground, they accumulate precious metals and gems inside their shell, which form vast labyrinths, hence its name. A man can get rich in one day exploring it."

"But I imagine it's not that easy."

"You'd be right. The shell is teeming with parasites, ants when comparable to the crab, but deadly monsters to us humans. When a crab surfaces, the parasites will leave and become a danger to everyone and everything in the area. No one is quite sure why dungeon crabs surface like this.

Some believe it does it when the parasites have grown too numerous, and it needs to cull the herd by setting them loose on the surface or pitting them against treasure-hunting humans. Others believe the crabs feed on the humans that enter its shell and use the parasites to kill their prey. Many believe they surface to get fresh air, like a whale."

"And you expect us to capture one of these things?"

"It's just a figure of speech. To capture a dungeon crab means to get down to the deepest part of its shell, where the most priceless metal is."

"Avenium, I'm guessing?"

"Correct. Anyone who can secure a cup's worth and present it to the kingdom becomes a noble. That's why I need you to help Oath capture it."

"But as your son, isn't Oath already set to inherit your title?"

"Oath is... my third son. His oldest brother, Colt, was raised and groomed to be my successor, and the second oldest, Victor, was raised to be the successor if anything happened to Colt."