The Inquisitor - Epilogue Ch. 08

Story Info
Final: a new reign begins.
3.1k words
4.52
9.8k
0

Part 9 of the 49 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 12/03/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
theTCat
theTCat
68 Followers

The King retired to chambers of his own. Several of his kinsmen brought up chest after chest from the hidden library in the ancient dragon-hold, deep beneath the castle. During his time as the Inquisitor, he and Chrysanthemum had spirited many of his old things down into the crypt. He knew Belladonna had communed with the dragon and plundered the wealth once stored there long ago. Most of the kingdom's inhabitants had long since forgotten of its existence, and Belladonna had no further use for it. With Chrysanthemum's help, they'd little by little restored the archives and king's trove into the hold.

Now that he was released, he had his kinsman begin installing him in proper quarters. He promised himself that the tower which had held him prisoner was not long for this world. Though he did not yet know what would replace it is dark walls, the room which held him would come down before the harvest, of that he was certain.

He found in one of the chests a fine tunic and jerkins. He found that his mail boots had been brought down from his former cell 'neath the eaves of the dark tower. Someone had polished them bright. The breast and arm plates had been brought as well, and they brought a sense of comfort as he donned them. The King draped a regal robe 'round him. He fastened it about the collar with a heavy chain of gold. It hung across his shoulders and down his back, the deepest burgundy entwined with embroidered filigree. He heard a rustle behind him. Turning, he saw his new bride. She was resplendent in her green gown. He bade her come close, noticing she brought with her a young lady dressed in an indigo gown. When the maid saw the King, her eyes grew wide, and she fell upon her face.

"Oh good grief!" said Queen Laurel, somewhat aggravated by her new maid's fondness for bowing and genuflection. To the King, Laurel made introductions.

"Husband," said she. "May I present my new maid-servant, the Lady Violet. You'll find she often assumes this posture." she added, referring to the worshipful comportment she'd assumed.

The King smiled warmly. "Arise, my child. There is no need to kneel before me, if you art lady-in-waiting to my bride, you need not sully your dresses on my account." To the Queen, he added, "That did not take long." referring to her new-found serving girl.

Queen Laurel playfully rolled her eyes at him, and then brought the conversation back to business at hand.

"Come, husband," She said, drawing to his side, entwining her arm in his. "the sun of the afternoon sinks lower even as we speak. I can tell by the commotion outside that a large crowd has gathered. They wonder at this mysterious proclamation. Shall we allay their questions?"

"Indeed," said the King, a great happy smile across his face. "But first, there is one last bit of business to attend to. This way, my dear."

He led them back into the throne room. The Lady Violet was clearly awed at being in this heart of the castle. The Queen caught her wonder, and bade her come close and hold her head high.

The King left the ladies near the throne. He crossed behind them to a gently curved portion of wall. The golden threads which were so prevalent throughout the castle writhed within the wall here in a great confluence. The strands of gold seemed to coil back on themselves, creating a large knot of filigree near where he stood.

He passed his hands slowly over the design, murmuring words the others could not catch. A low rumble emanated from he wall, and as the Queen her new maid watched, a portion of wall slid sideways, revealing a large recessed compartment. Both Violet and Laurel had to cover their eyes as rays of afternoon sunlit streamed in through the windows high above, setting ablaze whatever was contained within the chamber.

With great reverence, the King lifted out two glorious crowns. The metal and fretwork was burnished gold and silver, and the gleamed bright in the sunlight. The King drew close to Laurel, and held out one of the magnificent crowns to her.

It was small and light, a circlet of gold, interwoven with winding knots of silver vines. Ivy leaves sprouted from the vines, each carved from an single, exceptionally deep green emerald. Rounded purple stones studded 'round the circlet, and a fretwork of delicate gold lacework enclosed over the center. The fretwork formed an airy, golden cap, twining up to a rounded peak, supporting a flawless blue diamond.

Laurel found she could barely fathom such delicate golden beauty. It was by far the most exquisite piece of craft she had ever laid eyes upon. Her mouth was a perfect 'O', and the King motioned for her to bend down a bit. Slowly, he placed it upon her hair, brushing a long, dark curl back over her ear. She was surprised at how light it was, expecting it to be exceptionally heavy upon her head.

"Now, my dear..." he said stepping back, taking in the sight of her. "I crown thee Queen."

Young Violet could scarcely contain herself. She excitedly bounced up and down on her heels, clapping her hands, clearly lost in admiration of her new mistress.

On his own head, he placed his crown. It was similar to her own, but far more massive and imposing. Its golden circlet supported a coiled dragon, carved of purest gold. From behind the crown, the sharp, pointed wings of the dragon rose up on either side, as if a tiny golden dragon had decided to coil itself round his head. The snarling face of the dragon lay across the top of the King's head, mouth open, teeth sharp and shining. So lifelike was the carving, it made the new Queen a bit uneasy to see it coiled there, as if glaring directly at her. Its eyes were faceted rubies, and it's talons were diamond bright.

Seeing the wide eyes of the new Queen and her maid, he remarked. "It's quite heavy. I only wear it at formal occasions. In battle, I wear a different helm..." his voice trailed off as if lost in thought. To her credit, the new Queen said nothing.

"Now, my Queen... shall we?" She took his arm, and they headed out of the throne room. As they entered the Great hall, the Queen was most surprised to see Sereth, Foxbane and several of the outlander's company waiting for them. They were resplendent, all done up in their finest robes and armour, all polished and gleaming. Even more surprising than finding them gathered there in rigid stance, was the sight of Tymrill.

He to was well dressed and done up in his own. His scratched face appeared much better to the princess, the cuts and scratches faded and faint. The only element that was out of place was his mighty arm, slung across his chest and bound fast, immobile. Laurel caught his eyes, and he inclined his head, bowing slightly to her. His face held an expression she could not quite place. Though it was neither angry nor malicious, she felt a slight chill nonetheless.

As the King entered, they came to attention, the heels of their booted feet coming together smartly. Across their plated chests, they clapped a forearm and straightened hand, a crisp salute. The King smiled warmly, coming to each, paying them the proper greetings and courtesies in the old way. At last he reached Tymrill, and they spoke for many moments quietly. Neither the Queen or the gathered company could make out their words. She noticed Tymrill showing his slung arm, and the King shaking his head sadly. At last, Tymrill straightened, coming to an even smarter attention, clasping the forearm of the King, as he clasped his.

The King returned to Laurel, taking her arm once more. At once, the company of men fell in procession, two guards processing with pikes going before the King and Queen. The rest of the men took up flanking positions on either side, or fell in step behind. Violet followed just behind them. As she took up her position, she saw the eyes of one of the men alight upon the new scars on her face. She colored and bowed her head, her dark curls falling into her face.

The procession went out from the great hall, making their way up several stairs, until they came into the Golden tower. Before them lay the great stair, and up they went, toward the balconies adjoining the Queen's former chambers.

-- -

A stirring chorus blazed from trumpeters stationed high atop the battlements surrounding the courtyard. Below, a vast multitude had gathered within the walls, and a great more in the surrounding fields outside the castle. Most of those who had gathered were perplexed by the vague royal edict commanding their attendance. A general excitement flowed throughout the crowd.

As the last strident chords died away, the crowd grew hushed. Far above the courtyard, a figure stepped out onto the balcony of the Queen. Only it was the figure of a man.

Hushed whispers and questions rustled through the crowd. Suddenly an old man pointed his finger skyward, shouting aghast, "By the Gods! It is the King!" Those around him picked up the refrain, until it rolled throughout them like waves.

The figure on the balcony drew close to the rail, and those who were old enough to remember recognized him shouted, "The King!" The cheer went up, caught by others. Like a gathering thunderhead, the cheer of the crowd grew and grew until all sound was encompassed by shouts of "The King! The King has returned!"

At last, the King held up his hand, quieting the masses gathered in the courtyard below.

"Citizens of the Realm," he began, as another uproarious cheer sounded below. As it died down, he continued. "I have returned to you." Again the crowd roared, and at last settled down to hear his words.

"I have returned from a place of darkness. And it is high time you all knew its source!" spoke the King.

"The Queen, Belladonna, imprisoned me in a deep spell of darkest magick!" The crowd below was not terribly surprised to hear of her treachery, having lived under her rule since the last High Moon. "But at long last... the spell has been broken!"

The masses below erupted into new cheers, "Hail the King," and the like.

"Her reign is over!" spoke the King, his voice deep and commanding. "I have resumed the throne, and Belladonna is no more." The multitude below gave shouts of cheer and thanks.

"And now, my subjects," continued the King, holding both hands high, quieting the crowd. "I have chosen a new bride."

He motioned for her to come out onto the balcony. As she did another wild and exuberant cheer sailed up from below.

"I bid you all pay homage to her... Queen Laurel, empress of the western wood, and Lady of Blackthorn!"

This time the swell of emotion and cheer could not be contained. It rolled up from the courtyard below and swept over them, a tide of joy.

The King went on to speak at length of his imprisonment, and how Laurel had come to his rescue. He spoke of times past, and prosperity for the future. He presented Tymrill as his second, and Sereth also. The sun sank low beneath the horizon and the moon had begun to rise, and still he spoke on. He charged the people to various tasks, and bade them all good fortunes.

At last, he drew to his closing.

"And so, citizens of this realm," said the King. "It is with great joy that I greet you after so long. Let all within the sound of my voice pursue their own pleasures for the next three days. Let no work in the fields shall be done, and let no man raise a weapon in anger. A great feast will be held on the morrow, and all are welcome at my tables. Wine and mead shall flow like water until the setting of the sun three days hence."

To this the crowd responded with a mighty roar. A chant of "Long live the King" swelled until all who heard it joined in. From doors below, servant after servant spilled into the courtyard, each carrying trays overflowing with delights of all kinds. The King had to shout to make his final words heard.

"Last night was the High Moon, and was the birth of my new reign. In one month's time shall be the Solstice, where we shall celebrate my union to the new Queen! All of my realm is welcome for our wedding feast. Until then, Eat, drink, feast, my people! Those who knew me not before, know this. Serve me well and you shall each be rewarded.

With this last, he turned and left them to their merriment. The cheers and adulation charged the crowd and they caroused late into the night.

-- -

They left the balcony and crossed into the Queen's former chamber, Violet following close behind. Laurel was amazed at how different the rooms looked without the trappings of Belladonna. The King had it nearly stripped bare, the wreckage of the wardrobe which felled Tymrill was long gone. The only thing that remained was the massive bedframe of Belladonna's bed.

Seeing her puzzlement, the King explained it was far too heavy to move, even with ten men.

"It was assembled piece by piece, within this chamber," said the King. "Once the frame was fixed together, she had a dozen craftsmen in here, carving day and night. It's weight has sunk its' feet into the flooring, and they are now as one." He noted the slight look of disappointment on Laurel's face.

"But do not despair my love, these need not be your chambers. I have mine own, and you may share them with me if you so choose. Even before Belladonna imprisoned me, we held separate bedchambers. I..." he seemed at a loss as to how to continue. "I hadn't really thought the matter through, I suppose."

"Nevertheless," said he, regaining his thoughts. They walked about the bare chambers of Belladonna as he spoke. "My chambers have lain in disrepair since the last High Moon. I have not even lain eyes on them since I have awakened, but I can only imagine they would be in a sorry state."

"Since proclaiming there to be holiday until three days hence, I doubt we'll get much work out of the servants. I have dispatched several of my kinsmen to see to my former chambers, but it may be some time before they are ready."

He turned to regard the new queen and her new maid.

"However, my kinsmen have finished with your servant's quarters. I've had them bring up many more clothes and dresses and linens and perfumes for you. I've had many of them stored in lovely closets there... until your new chambers are ready."

He gestured toward a narrow brick archway leading off to the south side of the chambers. Laurel remembered being led through similar corridors when she was brought before Belladonna.

"Your bathing chambers and those of your maid are through there. Once your chambers are refurnished, she is but a moment away." Both Laurel and Violet regarded the corridor before turning back to the King.

The King fixed Violet with an intense gaze.

"Lady Violet," said He. "You have pledged yourself to your new mistress?"

"Oh, yes, my King." said Violet, again bowing low.

"Very well," he replied. "Then you serve at her pleasure. She is your mistress and liege-lord now, as am I. As she commands, so shall you obey."

"Yes my King," said Violet, earnest and sincere. She looked admiringly at her new Queen. The King felt his heart soften towards the girl, and he gave her a warm smile.

"Then I am proud to welcome you to my household, young Violet." Looking about, he frowned at the bare room of the former Queen.

"My love," he said to Laurel. "I do not believe these chambers are fitting for you. Nor do I wish to come to you in her old bed. I shall have it dismantled, piece by piece, and put a grand new one in its place. May take some time...." He wandered about the room, his words trailing off, almost as if he were lost in thought. Suddenly he returned his attention to them.

"Ah," said He. "Forgive me, my dears. I've a hundred thoughts all playing at once and I have much to attend to."

Regarding Violet, he instructed. "My dear, it is frightfully warm. Could you see to your lady's bath. Make sure she has all that she needs."

Drawing close to Laurel he said, "And as for you, my love. You may join me in my chambers tonight if you would like. Ask Tymrill or Sereth to bring you if you do not know where they are."

"Aye, husband..." said Laurel with a devilish twinkle in her eye. "I shall join you before the moon sets. You can be assured of that."

-- -

After he had gone, Laurel and Violet explored their new domain. They soon discovered a series of grand rooms, each more lavishly appointed than the last.

In one of the chambers, they found a luxurious marble bath, set into the floor, just as the one in her chambers deep below. Only this one was filled with light. Golden rays streamed in through a multitude of windows, dyed in a rainbow of colors from the stained glass designs woven into them.

The tub was smooth and vast, surely big enough for five or six people to sit comfortably without ever touching. It was shaped rather like and oval that has been squashed at both ends. To one end rose a mighty sluice with silver handles like the ones in her former bathing chambers.

Young Violet could not believe her eyes.

"Surely these cannot be the bathing chambers of servants, my lady," she whispered, awestruck by the opulence of just this one room.

"They are today." said Laurel, reaching down to loose one of the silver handles. A great rush of water spilled over the sluice and began filling the basin below with steaming water.

As the water began to rise, the colored light from the windows played upon its surface and danced on the stone walls.

theTCat
theTCat
68 Followers